here on "BombyTV"?

Crazy

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 14 2014, 6:13am

Post #2 of 80 (1102 views)
Shortcut
Yes, very much so! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well of course, it's the end of an era! We all have our niggles with Peter Jackson's adaptations, but it is undeniable the amount of hard work that went into producing these two trilogies.

I can't wait to be sitting in the cinema, watching the story unfold and come to it's conclusion.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 14 2014, 6:28am

Post #3 of 80 (1062 views)
Shortcut
DLB..jus' to get ...."YOUR Seal of Approval"... [In reply to] Can't Post

means MUCH
to that
ol' Fossil?

in the
Old Forest

Goldberry wantzzz
To Kiss
you
ALL...?

imin
Valinor

Jul 14 2014, 6:45am

Post #4 of 80 (1077 views)
Shortcut
Depends on how different it is to the first two movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping this one will be better, my expectations are very low so im hoping i will get a nice surprise :-)

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jul 14 2014, 8:12am

Post #5 of 80 (1018 views)
Shortcut
How could I not? [In reply to] Can't Post

By Thorin's grandmother's beard, my goodness yes! Even the sad bits.

I've enjoyed every moment of every film, and I will be quivering with excitement on my first viewing. Which I've decided will be in 2D, because when you wear normal glasses AND 3D glasses, that's two barriers to getting your tissues onto those tears.

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 14 2014, 8:15am

Post #6 of 80 (993 views)
Shortcut
Yes - me! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silmaril
Rohan

Jul 14 2014, 8:46am

Post #7 of 80 (993 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed them all. So YES!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 14 2014, 8:55am

Post #8 of 80 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Oooooh, what a question! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bomby: "Is anybody gunna ENJOY the Final FLlM?"

I have absolutely no idea, Bomby!! Laugh How could any of us hope to answer that just yet?

Hmm, is your plan to root out people's prejudices? Laugh Could be an interesting thread!

My answer is, "It depends...not so much on whether the film is slavishly faithful to the book, beat for beat, but that it maintains a greater degree of fidelity than has previously been on show and, more importantly, makes sense in and of itself, with as little puerile humour as possible and fewer instances of physics and common-sense defying lunacy. If I'm engaged from the start, remain engaged 'til a tearful end and leave the cinema thinking 'Yes, that was The Hobbit', then I'll be happy."

Smile

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

(This post was edited by Kendalf on Jul 14 2014, 9:01am)

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 14 2014, 9:33am

Post #9 of 80 (996 views)
Shortcut
FLIM? [In reply to] Can't Post

Somehow the thread title reminded me of this:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 14 2014, 10:06am

Post #10 of 80 (986 views)
Shortcut
I'll try my hardest not to... [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if this turns out to be a masterpiece of cinema I'll try my best to act unimpressed and grumpy the whole time, just because I've promised myself that I would. Mad

Honestly, though. I think the main things to look forward to now are the character deaths. We haven't really seen anything emotionally impacting in the last two films so it's hard to judge how these events will be handled. But in my mind it will be something like Legolas' brawl with Bolg, anticlimactic and so diluted by CG and over-scripted action, that it'll be hard to maintain an emotional connection to the character.

I hope I'm wrong.

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Jul 14 2014, 10:45am

Post #11 of 80 (928 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

With at least a box of Kleenex. I started balling about 45 minutes into ROTK with none. Thankfully, I had a long cotton skirt on, but it was a mess by the time that movie was over. Also, kinda glad BOT5A will be shorter!

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 14 2014, 10:57am

Post #12 of 80 (956 views)
Shortcut
Call it balance of probabilities.... [In reply to] Can't Post

So far I've thoroughly enjoyed all three LotR films, both Hobbit films, and even King Kong, which rated so low on the scale of 'films-I-might-be-interested-in' that I didn't even bother to go and see it, just caught it on TV.

So why wouldn't I enjoy the last film? Of course, I can't know that I will, but based on previous experience I'll be going into the cinema fully expecting to enjoy it and open to whatever comes. I won't be mentally telling Peter Jackson how to do it and marking him out of ten on the things I do and don't like. I won't have a checklist of things I don't want. I'll just be ready for him to tell me the story his way, and to engage with it as it comes. That approach has worked well enough so far. And if I don't enjoy it I'll be the most disappointed (and surprised) person in here!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 14 2014, 11:28am

Post #13 of 80 (933 views)
Shortcut
(Hutt) a Film isss a Fantasy [In reply to] Can't Post

Filmmmed by a "Flim-maker"
of the Best kind?

PJ &co

THE Sort!... a Filmsy
Fool... like
Bomby
LIKES?

I need to go Early, Often, & Late @ Night?
alone...

"DAmn those Critters, (Critics), & Creep-olas?
FULL SPPEED ahead!

BOMBY PROMISES to LIKE it?
No Matter WHAT?

Iowe it tooo...
JRRT, TOO?

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 14 2014, 11:29am

Post #14 of 80 (930 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse: "So far I've thoroughly enjoyed all three LotR films, both Hobbit films, and even King Kong...So why wouldn't I enjoy the last film?"

Indeed. Fair enough point Smile

dormouse: "I'll be going into the cinema fully...open to whatever comes...I'll just be ready for him to tell me the story his way, and to engage with it as it comes."

You see, this is an approach, if you'll forgive me, that I can't quite reconcile myself with. Were he making original films, writing original screenplays, then, yes, of course, this (to my mind) would be an admirable and appropriate approach.
But he's not. He's adapting "The Hobbit", one of the most beloved children's novels of all time (my own personal feelings are irrelevant, of course) and therefore, I'd argue, has on his shoulders a certain obligation to the source material. Transgress, deviate, manipulate or augment too far and he deserves chastisement.

dormouse: "And if I don't enjoy it I'll be the most disappointed (and surprised) person in here!"

Laugh I don't doubt it, dormouse! Laugh

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

kilifili
The Shire

Jul 14 2014, 11:41am

Post #15 of 80 (912 views)
Shortcut
Enjoy...? I will live it! [In reply to] Can't Post

So far I love all PJ middle-earth movies and without a doubt I will enjoy TBOTFA - and I will cry my eyes out...

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 14 2014, 11:45am

Post #16 of 80 (892 views)
Shortcut
Yup, pretty sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I've massively enjoyed the first two, so it would be a huge shock to me if I didn't enjoy the third one. Looking forward to that first viewing so much, and at the same time, don't really want it to be over!

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 14 2014, 11:53am

Post #17 of 80 (901 views)
Shortcut
WE ALL....have BEEN "Set up"? [In reply to] Can't Post

over the PAST
16 years...

HERE Comes the
BIGGIE PayOFF...

Bada BING, BadaBOOM?

(And PJ walks out the Door with another 30 Oscars?)

which is CHUMP-Change?
for a Billion-aire!

Noria
Gondor

Jul 14 2014, 11:53am

Post #18 of 80 (902 views)
Shortcut
I loved the previous five movies so I fully expect to enjoy the last one. [In reply to] Can't Post

Based on my previous experience, I too will have niggling complaints that don’t detract from my overall appreciation. So far I have been very happy with these movies, deviations from the book and all.

Like dormouse, I will go into the theatre with my mind open to what this adaptation of the story will show me. For me this is a different version of the story, inevitably different from Tolkien’s and from the one in my imagination. I like that.

I really don’t believe that TBOTFA will be all that much different from AUJ and DoS, except that I suspect that overall the story will move closer to that of the book by the end and that tonally the movie will end in a place from which we can step off into FotR.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 14 2014, 12:03pm

Post #19 of 80 (890 views)
Shortcut
Quite positive. [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed the first two which covered the parts of the book I am not too fond of.

Now given the material from the book that I like much more plus the great additions of Tauriel and Dol Guldur - and the emotions connected to the ending - I am quite confident this will be a star.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 14 2014, 12:30pm

Post #20 of 80 (882 views)
Shortcut
I certainly hope to enjoy it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am expecting TH:BotFA to be the best of the three.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 14 2014, 1:30pm

Post #21 of 80 (859 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

And then for the EE, and a binge of all 6 films, in sequenceHeart Cool

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 14 2014, 1:53pm

Post #22 of 80 (867 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

You see, this is an approach, if you'll forgive me, that I can't quite reconcile myself with. Were he making original films, writing original screenplays, then, yes, of course, this (to my mind) would be an admirable and appropriate approach.
But he's not. He's adapting "The Hobbit", one of the most beloved children's novels of all time (my own personal feelings are irrelevant, of course) and therefore, I'd argue, has on his shoulders a certain obligation to the source material. Transgress, deviate, manipulate or augment too far and he deserves chastisement.

Thing is, that's so subjective. Each of us engages with the book - any book - in a different way. My version of The Hobbit, as it plays out in my head, won't be your version, or anyone else's here. Who gets to decide how far is 'too far' - and as for 'deserves chastisement' - on whose say-so?

Certainly he has an obligation to the source material. To read it, consider it, discuss it with his co-writers and cast and then retell the story as he sees it. That's the point. I'm not going to see my version of The Hobbit brought to life onscreen. I'm going to see somebody else's version. For me that's a very positive experience because it opens the way to ideas and interpretations I haven't thought of, images I never imagined. But in order to see I have to be willing to look. And if there are things about my own version that I end up saying that I prefer, (which does often happen) that's a judgement to be made afterwards. I don't see how anyone can fully appreciate what's being put in front of them if they go in with a checklist of what they want and don't want. You'll never learn to swim if you won't let go of the edge...

Farficom
Rivendell

Jul 14 2014, 2:15pm

Post #23 of 80 (865 views)
Shortcut
After the movies are over. [In reply to] Can't Post

There will not only be tears of enJOY, but of sadness streaming down my face.

imin
Valinor

Jul 14 2014, 2:16pm

Post #24 of 80 (846 views)
Shortcut
Who seriously goes in with a checklist [In reply to] Can't Post

be that physical or mental?

I am going in as i have for the previous two. I will just disengage brain and watch whatever is put in front of me. Only later after the film will i reflect upon what i watched.

Some reaction will be to how close to what is written. Another part of my reaction will be nothing to do with how close to the source material, it will simply be - do i think it's a good film, as in good acting, good dialogue, cgi, music etc etc.

Everyone does engage with a book differently, but the words are the same at the end of the day. So there is a limit on how far it can go before it doesn't resemble the book, as you say the difference between film and book people can tolerate will differ.

To me though if you are just wanting him to consider the source material though, and basically do as he wishes, then it could be any film even something totally unrelated but just called the hobbit to cash in.

For now my expectations are very low as i was unhappy with the previous two films - though at the time i did prefer DOS due to my much lowered expectations. I am hoping when i watch final one it exceeds my low expectations but in no way will i be going in with a checklist of things i want to see and things i don't, the film just happens and then i reflect as im sure many many people do something similar.

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 14 2014, 2:45pm

Post #25 of 80 (838 views)
Shortcut
But where did I say that I just what him to consider the source material... [In reply to] Can't Post

'and basically do as he wishes'?

Seems to me that would be a pretty daft thing to suggest - I never said it, or thought it, and I can't imagine that any sensible person would put that forward as the way for someone to adapt a book for the cinema - or anywhere else, for that matter!

What I did say was that he should read the book, consider it, discuss it with his co-writers and actors, and then produce his interpretation of the story - and tell me, how is that different from the way you've engaged with the book over the years, or the way any of us has? And what more could any film director do than that?

As for checklists, seems to me that a lot of people here do have them, figuratively if not actually. I did myself for Fellowship - things I wanted to see, things I thought were important. It completely blinded me to the film I was actually seeing.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.