Tauriel's "tragic" ending?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

7.62 mm FMJ
Bree

Jul 12 2014, 9:34pm

Post #1 of 48 (5332 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel's "tragic" ending? Can't Post

I was looking at the spoiler page, and saw this image. I'm not sure if this has been discussed before on TORn. This could mean a multitude of things. By "tragic", here are my top two contenders.

1. Tragic because someone close to her (Kili) died
2. Tragic because she will die
3. Both.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 12 2014, 9:47pm

Post #2 of 48 (4695 views)
Shortcut
Why should it set up Fellowship? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel is entirely irrelevant to Fellowship. And I won't accept that whole Legolas' dislike of Dwarves business, because he's just as hostile to Dwarves in DoS.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 12 2014, 10:21pm

Post #3 of 48 (4655 views)
Shortcut
I know what happens [In reply to] Can't Post

She gets knocked unconscious when the eagles come, Kili thinks she is dead and takes his life in despair. She then wakes up to see Kili dead and kills herself too Frown

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 12 2014, 10:27pm

Post #4 of 48 (4664 views)
Shortcut
option 4: [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel, because of wounds to body, mind and spirit, takes a ship from the Grey Havens to Valinor, as did Celebrían. That would set up the ending of LOTR, even if they don't show her actually leaving. That's what I think will happen. Then she would be completely uninvolved in the last three films, and Legolas and Gimli can do their boys' road trip around M-e before taking the boat across the Great Sea together.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 13 2014, 12:29am

Post #5 of 48 (4544 views)
Shortcut
I never thought about that (Spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

her taking a ship into the west. I have an obvious answer though the "Tragedy" is obviously Kili's death she was starting to feel something for him obviously so maybe she takes a ship into the west because she's mortally wounded or grief

Vepariga
The Shire

Jul 13 2014, 12:45am

Post #6 of 48 (4502 views)
Shortcut
I hope she dies [In reply to] Can't Post

I want her death to go something like this.

during the epic battle she sees Kili get struck and killed, Tauriel in a fit of emotional rage and bloodlust charges towards Kili,slaying orcs and goblins but just before she reaches him,bam Orc Spear through the stomach,she grabs it and kills the orc as other goblins hit her with arrows and such. she goes down after a little while and falls next to Kili, Their blood runs off a rock together.

- Vep - Guardsman of the woodland realm of Mirkwood -

(This post was edited by Vepariga on Jul 13 2014, 12:46am)

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jul 13 2014, 1:25am

Post #7 of 48 (4504 views)
Shortcut
Tragedy [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrían's lasting wound - the one that caused her to sail west - was psychological. It had nothing to do with physical wounds.

There is no tragedy in sailing west. It's a place everyone looks forward to with swift sunrises and all that.

She would die before not involving herself in the war of the ring. And that's my prediction. Sailing west is way - way - too easy and pleasing.

Now his life is full of wonder
But his heart still knows some fear
Of a simple thing he cannot comprehend
Why they try to tear the mountains down
To bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

(This post was edited by J Pierpont Flathead on Jul 13 2014, 1:25am)

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jul 13 2014, 1:27am

Post #8 of 48 (4468 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

But there no way they will snuff her while doing so little as killing a random orc. No doubt it will be at least a somewhat grander gesture.

(This post was edited by J Pierpont Flathead on Jul 13 2014, 1:28am)

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jul 13 2014, 1:34am

Post #9 of 48 (4564 views)
Shortcut
"Sets up Fellowship" [In reply to] Can't Post

That's an interesting quote. Surely she can't be responsible for the the formation of the Fellowship. That would be inflating her fanfic character beyond belief. But I could believe her death (I am so looking forward to it) would inspire Legolas to remain involved in matters outside their woodland realm because that's what she believed in doing; she would have been highly motivated in helping the Fellowship had she lived. Too bad she dies. Not. Wink

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Jul 13 2014, 3:34am

Post #10 of 48 (4500 views)
Shortcut
Setting Up Events in Fellowship of the Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

There is another possible interpretation here, one that has been discussed before: Tauriel and her guards take charge of Gollum, who has been captured and (as in the books) is held prisoner in Thranduil's realm. Remember that in the books, the Mirkwood Elves allowed Gollum to go outside, and one day the Elf guards were ambushed by orcs and Gollum escaped:

"When the battle was over, we found that Gollum was gone, and his guards were slain or taken." -- Legolas, from "The Council of Elrond" in FOTR

So it is possible that Tauriel's "tragic end" that sets up events in FOTR is only inferred, a special plotline for those who know the books.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 13 2014, 3:39am

Post #11 of 48 (4462 views)
Shortcut
Possible, though 60 years too early. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's pushing a lot of plot into a movie that already has plenty of ground to cover, dealing with Smaug vs. Laketown, Dol Guldur, and the Battle. To introduce a new subplot with Gollum being captured and escaping would be pretty distracting.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 13 2014, 3:43am

Post #12 of 48 (4486 views)
Shortcut
She's a Wood Elf. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think she's entitled to go. Not that that would slow Jackson down much.

Also, as I was just saying about a possible Gollum subplot, it's a fair amount of new plot to introduce in a movie that's already packed with plot.

No, I still think death in battle is the most likely outcome, probably with a connection to Kili's death.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jul 13 2014, 3:44am)

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Jul 13 2014, 3:52am

Post #13 of 48 (4454 views)
Shortcut
Envisioned as a cameo [In reply to] Can't Post

The way I imagined it, the Gollum scene would only take a few seconds: for example, after the BOTFA, Thranduil would forgive Tauriel for going AWOL, and tell her that the wizard (Gandalf) has delivered a prisoner whom he
wishes to be kept in the Woodland Realm. The "prisoner" then turns out to be Gollum, who we see for only maybe 5 seconds, just long enough for the audience to catch on. The actual orc attack and Gollum's escape is then
in the future, a nod to those who've read the books.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 13 2014, 4:06am

Post #14 of 48 (4442 views)
Shortcut
But there's no point... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in introducing this prisoner and not having the orc attack, etc. You have to satisfy the folks watching this trilogy, which is ending now. An ending that's only understood by the book audience will be very unsatisfying to everyone else.

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jul 13 2014, 4:49am

Post #15 of 48 (4417 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But there's no point in introducing this prisoner and not having the orc attack, etc. You have to satisfy the folks watching this trilogy, which is ending now. An ending that's only understood by the book audience will be very unsatisfying to everyone else.

I think you're right about that. But I would love the way this plot point would completely justify Legolas in The Hobbit. Mind you, I don't care much about Tauriel, but it would be very cool to me for Gollum to make a final appearance in this manner and hook in the LOTR Legolas comment. But I don't think Tauriel's tragic end will be off screen. There's too much invested in her by the writers for that. And if she's a Mary Sue, she'll certainly have a "better" and more heroic end than at the hands of some anonymous orcs.

(This post was edited by J Pierpont Flathead on Jul 13 2014, 4:57am)

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 13 2014, 5:19am

Post #16 of 48 (4438 views)
Shortcut
I think she's killed in battle [In reply to] Can't Post

Helping Legolas be more willing to help others.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2014, 7:02am

Post #17 of 48 (4412 views)
Shortcut
As much as I like the scenario for explaining Tauriel's demise later on... [In reply to] Can't Post

(and I was pretty much the first to suggest the idea!) you can't have Gollum being captured by Gandalf within the TH timeframe, since, as Elizabeth has already pointed out, Gandalf can't suspect Gollum for another 50+ years, to allow for Gollum to be captured and tortured by Sauron first, before Aragorn manages to track him down. Plus, too much foreshadowing will simply ruin Gollum's introduction in the original trilogy...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Jul 13 2014, 7:02am)

Name
Rohan

Jul 13 2014, 2:11pm

Post #18 of 48 (4293 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you for the most part [In reply to] Can't Post

But it is perfectly possible to have the Gollum subplot occur earlier, although not directly after TH. Multiple years later, but it doesn't have to be 50+.
By FotR and Bilbo's party, Gandalf has already interrogated Gollum. There isn't that 17 year gap in the movies like in the book. Yes, changing the timeline would mess some things up, but nothing much as far as the movies go.

Plus, I think Gollum introduction in LotR wa already ruined by AUJ. Wink

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2014, 5:57pm

Post #19 of 48 (4257 views)
Shortcut
I like that over anythiong else that comes to mind.... [In reply to] Can't Post

My immediate response was:

What does she have to do with the Fellowship!? Are we going to see Legolas get emo over her death?Mad

That said, I do like this idea much better, but we will have to see what BoFA (Excuse me) BotFA holds....

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2014, 6:02pm

Post #20 of 48 (4270 views)
Shortcut
Were the Noldor/ Calaquendi the only ones eligible to sail? [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny, I never thought of it 'til now.... Legolas sailed, or was reputed to have sailed, though so would the rest of the Mirkwood elves be eligible? Legolas was of a higher Sindar class though, thus a Grey-elf, so that could explain it... Would that make the rank-and-file Avari ineligible? *goes to look through HoME*

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 13 2014, 6:18pm

Post #21 of 48 (4327 views)
Shortcut
Before you get too eager to see Tauriel killed off.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... do bear in mind that any very dramatic death scene for her runs the risk of diminishing the impact of the deaths Tolkien chose to include.

So if you really, really dislike her, shouldn't you be hoping that she goes home to Mirkwood after the battle with no fanfare and no fuss? By hoping to raise the impact of her end, I'd say that you're actually asking them the inflate the improtance of her character. Just a thought...... Wink

bruinen
Bree

Jul 13 2014, 7:55pm

Post #22 of 48 (4272 views)
Shortcut
defending/helping Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like Tauriel/Kili is sooooo last year...to be honest, I'd like to see TBOFA take her character to new, fresh interactions that aren't obvious follow-ons to DoS content. Correct me if I have this in error--but she doesn't even meet Bilbo is DoS (he remains invisible to her) and I don't think they crossed paths in Laketown.

So how about this theory:

There's an opportunity in the action from the book chapter "Thief in the Night" for Tauriel to be one of the elves who discovers Bilbo approaching the Elvenking and Bard's camp...

"Who are you? Are you the dwarves' hobbit?" These elves in the book are unnamed.

From then on, Tauriel could become Bilbo's friend and ally, being more able than the others to sympathize with his mixed feelings about which side to help... They both have a stake in protecting the dwarves to some extent, and this means she would be in a position to die in Bilbo's defense or trying to help him...which sets up Legolas to naturally want to defend Bilbo's heir Frodo and volunteer for the Fellowship, perhaps in memory of her sacrifice to save a hobbit.

In any case, I sincerely hope her death does not directly involve Kili...I think that's too obvious and trite, tbh. I want something bigger for the story.

Just my 2 cents!

My Avatar: the desk Tolkien used when he wrote The Hobbit...now on display at Wheaton College.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2014, 8:43pm

Post #23 of 48 (4210 views)
Shortcut
*mods-up*// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

shadowdog
Rohan

Jul 13 2014, 9:07pm

Post #24 of 48 (4217 views)
Shortcut
Can she [In reply to] Can't Post

take a ship into the west?

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 13 2014, 9:37pm

Post #25 of 48 (4200 views)
Shortcut
I don't see why not [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm no expert though from what I understand the elves only leave when they get tired of being in Middle-Earth, it would seem incredibly forced though

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.