The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Shannara Moving Forward For MTV Series

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 13 2014, 5:37pm

Post #1 of 8 (365 views)
Shortcut
Shannara Moving Forward For MTV Series Can't Post

I never cared much for Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara, finding the work terribly derivative, and never read any of the sequels. However, for those who have enjoyed the books, they are being developed as a cable television series by MTV. More about the show, here.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 13 2014, 5:45pm

Post #2 of 8 (328 views)
Shortcut
I agree that Sword was sorely lacking in originality, [In reply to] Can't Post

but the sequels are much better. It's like Brooks took a course in creative writing after Sword. It seems the MTV producers agree, because they're beginning the series with Elfstones.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 13 2014, 8:08pm

Post #3 of 8 (308 views)
Shortcut
There is also going to be a series based on The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed his first book. Fox purchased the rights about a year ago and hopefully we'll see something in the near future.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 13 2014, 9:15pm

Post #4 of 8 (303 views)
Shortcut
I don't get why Pern isn't be grabbed with both hands [In reply to] Can't Post

for film or TV. It has dragons, drama and a fighting spirit, and a big readership, but it's starting to feel like the Wonder Woman of fantasy books with the big-wigs just not interested in it.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 13 2014, 9:39pm

Post #5 of 8 (303 views)
Shortcut
Pern was grabbed for TV years ago. [In reply to] Can't Post

The pilot was written, sets built, actors cast, VFX developed, and Anne McCaffrey visited the production and the crew made footage of her flying on the back of a dragon.

But the network was interfering in the story, trying to turn it into a Xena style action thing, and the show's creators refused to compromise, so the whole project was cancelled.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jul 13 2014, 10:14pm

Post #6 of 8 (295 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

Without knowing anything, my educated guess is that the sticking point was probably the riders' connection to their dragons when they went into heat. On written page is one thing - film another. Especially if they wanted the show to reach a broad audience (i.e. appropriate for those younger than adulthood) it would have been hard to pull that off - and it's an important enough aspect of the story that you can't really cut it out, as the question of whether or not the Queens' riders are going to have to "take one for the team" and do the deed with someone besides the person they're in love with because their Queen didn't chose their guys' male is sometimes a rather crucial plot point.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 13 2014, 10:24pm

Post #7 of 8 (305 views)
Shortcut
It sounds like a lucky miss. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But the network was interfering in the story, trying to turn it into a Xena style action thing, and the show's creators refused to compromise,

Xena on dragon-back is very not needed with these stories.

To expand on what Kelly mentions, there is a strong theme of outdated 'women having their place' which would have to be softened for modern audiences just because it would chime badly with viewers, I think. But it's a unique society with a fundamental theme of environmental symbiosis, and I think *that* would be greeted warmly by modern audiences if it were done well.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jul 18 2014, 9:50pm

Post #8 of 8 (260 views)
Shortcut
Thanks....there is a large fan base [In reply to] Can't Post

for these books and should be better than most of the current cable TV garbage...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.