The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Dean O'Gorman in The Almighty Johnsons - starts in the US TONIGHT

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jul 11 2014, 11:48am

Post #1 of 21 (1900 views)
Shortcut
Dean O'Gorman in The Almighty Johnsons - starts in the US TONIGHT Can't Post

Dean O in TAJFans of Dean O'Gorman who live in New Zealand, Australia, Canada or the UK may have already enjoyed watching him in television show The Almighty Johnsons; for fans in America, the series starts screening on Syfy this evening (Friday). Ringer Kiwifan in Germany loves the show, and wants to share her passion with you! Here's what she had to say:

"This Friday evening, July 11, NZ tv show The Almighty Johnsons, starring Dean O'Gorman as Anders Johnson (Bragi), will have its U.S. premiere on the Syfy channel. The series, which ran for three seasons on television in New Zealand, Canada, Australia and the UK, garnered several awards and gained fans worldwide. Incidentally, the eldest Johnson brother, Mike, is played by Tim Balme who first became known for his starring role in Peter Jackson's film Braindead (aka Dead Alive). Balme also wrote several of the episodes of The Almighty Johnsons.

The series is about four brothers who seem to be just regular Kiwi blokes with the kind of lives ordinary mortals lead. Not so; as Axl, the youngest Johnson brother, discovers on his twenty-first birthday when it is revealed to him that he, the same as his older brothers and the still youthful surfer-type whom he had thought to be his cousin but who turns out to be his grandfather, is actually the reincarnation of a Norse god in human form. In fact, Axl is Odin, the most powerful of them all. These Norse gods, however, won't have their full powers until Odin is reunited with his wife, the goddess Frigg, and if Axl, a happy-go-lucky and rather naive student, should fail to find her before he dies, his three brothers are doomed to die at the same time. In the meantime, their existence as Norse gods must be kept secret from mortals, which makes their life in modern-day Auckland rather complicated at times! And there is also a small group of reincarnated Norse goddesses who mean to prevent this reunion by means fair or foul. And so a strange and often hilarious quest begins...

dean O' in TAJ2I first heard about The Almighty Johnsons at HobbitCon in 2013, when Dean O'Gorman was asked questions about it in his solo panel, and I thought it sounded interesting. As it hasn't been dubbed into German, I ordered the UK DVD release of the first series, became instantly addicted, immediately bought the second series and then had to wait impatiently for almost a year until I was able to obtain the New Zealand edition of season three on DVD, as so far there is no UK DVD release of it on the horizon. To the utter dismay of all of its fans, The Almighty Johnsons won't be continued, so unless there is a minor miracle, there will be no season four. Television critic Chris Philpott wrote very succinctly about it in his article 'An Almighty farewell' which appeared on www.stuff.co.nz on September 27:

'This is a unique show, unlike anything this country has produced in the past, and it's been impossibly clever at times ... The Almighty Johnsons' legacy will probably be based on its lack of viewers and the fact that most Kiwis 'just didn't get it', which is sad. I'll choose to remember this show as a true original, an entertaining and clever and engrossing show that stands as (I think) the best serial drama ever made in New Zealand. And I'm going to miss it terribly.'

And so will I. But for US audiences, it's only just beginning. I really hope they will 'get' this truly extraordinary show and enjoy it as much as I do!"

Tune in to The Almighty Johnsons on Syfy, starting today.  You can read Variety's review of the show here.

Thanks to Ringer Kiwifan for contacting us!

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jul 11 2014, 7:14pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 11 2014, 10:10pm

Post #2 of 21 (1860 views)
Shortcut
Also, Hama (John Leigh) turns up in series two and three. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 11 2014, 11:18pm

Post #3 of 21 (1864 views)
Shortcut
Oh really? [In reply to] Can't Post

I never noticed! Which character is he? Can't believe I missed it. Please do enlighten me!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 12 2014, 1:53am

Post #4 of 21 (1858 views)
Shortcut
He's Gaia's father. [In reply to] Can't Post

The bearded vegetarian who hates Axl.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kim
Valinor

Jul 12 2014, 6:12am

Post #5 of 21 (1850 views)
Shortcut
Cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I just watched the first ep tonight, interesting set-up. And I didn't realize that Keisha Castle-Hughes was in this - is it too obvious to guess that she is Frigg? Don't tell me, I don't want any spoilers, we'll see if it comes true. I'm glad we finally have the chance to watch it.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

silvereyed
The Shire

Jul 12 2014, 6:14am

Post #6 of 21 (1865 views)
Shortcut
I'm in this show! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm an extra in a couple of scenes in season 3! It was so much fun being on set and getting to see Dean O'Gorman and the other actors in person, and I loved being to get a glimpse behind the scenes of the NZ film industry.

TAJ is an amazing show and I hope everyone watches it!

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 12 2014, 8:51am

Post #7 of 21 (1846 views)
Shortcut
Of course he is --- Bryn! ****Spoilers!!!**** [In reply to] Can't Post

This dawned upon me shortly before 3 a.m. as I was lying awake (full moon last night) --- but I thought he was in seasons 1 and 2. For some reason he seemed familiar but I didn't realise it until I started thinking about your comment (instead of sleeping Wink) and then I didn't feel like getting out of bed and restarting the computer at 3 a.m.!

(***Spoilers from here on!!***) I was under the impression that Bryn fades out of the picture after the unforeseen development at the very end of season two with regard to Gaia's identity, and I don't remember Bryn making an appearance in season 3, especially after G. departs for London. ??? But then I've only watched season 3 twice so far and am in the process of watching it a third time now. It always takes me several viewings of anything to take everything in...

namarie
Rohan

Jul 12 2014, 8:14pm

Post #8 of 21 (1848 views)
Shortcut
I love this show [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad they made only three seasons Frown

"Imagine a world where the words you speak appear on your skin. Would you be more careful of what you say?"

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 12 2014, 8:35pm

Post #9 of 21 (1837 views)
Shortcut
You may well be right. [In reply to] Can't Post

The last time I watched it was when I went through all three DVDs in pretty quick succession, so the seasons blur into one another.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 12 2014, 8:35pm

Post #10 of 21 (1840 views)
Shortcut
How cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

And what a great show to have on your CV. :)

Ataahua's stories

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 13 2014, 6:35pm

Post #11 of 21 (1817 views)
Shortcut
Am doing the same thing these days! [In reply to] Can't Post

Watching all the dvds in a row, a few episodes every day, and right now I'm getting towards the end of season 3 (there really should be a crying face in our list of smileys), and Bryn hasn't reappeared. Instead there is Mike's face in the mirror --- you know.

I so wish there would be a season four...

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 13 2014, 6:39pm

Post #12 of 21 (1820 views)
Shortcut
Hey, cool! So who are you? [In reply to] Can't Post

If it isn't too indiscreet a question?

And I'm so glad you like it because I sometimes feel like the only person who even knows this show in this country (Germany), as we don't have it on tv or even on dvd with a German audiotrack.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 13 2014, 7:18pm

Post #13 of 21 (1816 views)
Shortcut
Same. BTW, [In reply to] Can't Post

did you watch the deleted scenes of the last episode? With the jewel?

Ataahua's stories

silvereyed
The Shire

Jul 14 2014, 5:50am

Post #14 of 21 (1813 views)
Shortcut
here's a pic :) [In reply to] Can't Post

this is the best view of my face - it's a scene from episode 9 of season 3

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 15 2014, 7:03pm

Post #15 of 21 (1798 views)
Shortcut
Found you! That's so cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's episode 11, not 9 --- I just finished watching it on dvd. It can't have been different on telly surely, can it? But perhaps you're also in episode 9 and I didn't notice it when I watched it a few days ago? Because then I didn't know who to look for?

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 15 2014, 9:50pm

Post #16 of 21 (1788 views)
Shortcut
So have you seen all three seasons already?// [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by kiwifan on Jul 15 2014, 10:02pm)

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 15 2014, 9:56pm

Post #17 of 21 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry, we won't tell... [In reply to] Can't Post

at least I won't. Can't speak for anyone else, naturally.

And I hope you'll continue to enjoy TAJ! I first got into it because of Dean but very quickly came to care for the entire cast. There's not one character I dislike, it's amazing. Have watched now three times (all three seasons, on dvd) and am very far from tired of it Smile

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 15 2014, 10:06pm

Post #18 of 21 (1788 views)
Shortcut
I certainly did [In reply to] Can't Post

but only a few hours after the last episode of season three, which really left me stunned. Now the jewel and so on (especially so on) might be a reason to hope... You all know about this petition on the internet for a fourth season, surely?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 15 2014, 10:54pm

Post #19 of 21 (1786 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't hold out hope. [In reply to] Can't Post

Public protest got us a third season but the announcement of no fourth season was pretty absolute - and there has been *nothing* on the rumour mill in the year since to suggest otherwise.

I think we were very lucky to have a solid end to season three (with a cheeky extra to leave fans with an 'If only...'). Tongue

Ataahua's stories

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 18 2014, 9:29pm

Post #20 of 21 (1769 views)
Shortcut
I'm afraid you may be right... [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure (is this the right smiley for 'dismayed'?). I'm not really holding out much hope but you never know, perhaps the response from American fans (if it is a positive one) might sway the ptb (and pigs might fly...).

You're definitely right about the solid ending given to the third season (it did leave me stunned though, and sad!). And the 'cheeky extra' was the bit that gave me hope since it is quite conceivable for cunning Loki to have found a way --- but would he share it?

Apropos share, it might be fun to have a thread dedicated to discussing TAJ fully but only for those of us who've seen all three seasons so the newbies wouldn't have their fun spoiled. Do you think we'd find enough participants? I sometimes feel I'm the only person in Germany who's seen and loved the show and would so much like to exchange views on certain characters, scenes, developments etc. --- what say you? (even if this quote is from another set of films altogether Wink)

And I wish I could send you some of our surplus degrees celsius (we're in the middle of a heatwave again and it is so exhausting!)

namarie
Rohan

Sep 19 2014, 7:59pm

Post #21 of 21 (1764 views)
Shortcut
Sorry for the very late reply... [In reply to] Can't Post

but yes I did :)

"Such is the nature of evil. In time all foul things come forth"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.