Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part VII
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 12 2014, 3:33pm

Post #151 of 210 (4097 views)
Shortcut
     Woodland Weekend (mini - actually a few HCF stuff) [In reply to]  

This is quite the insightful article on the series (by the same author who penned that well-written thing on The Fall). Even
one of the writer/creator reblogged it with his thoughts.

Just.Look.At.Him.

Images

Cute GIF (Ned vs joe)

GIF (that bottom right one...)

SUPREMELY EI GIF

And this interview. Just LOL at this:

How does Joe stack up with other roles you have played? Is he ahead of Phil Winslow, the father in “Marmaduke?” We get to know Joe a lot better since he is the focus of “Halt and Catch Fire,” while Phil was supporting the dog. But it still makes me happy when kids recognize me on the street and say, “Hey, aren’t you the dad from Marmaduke?” And I proudly say, “Yes, I am.” Then their parents give me a certain not-so-happy look and say, “Yeah – we have seen that movie 100 times.

For relevance

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the potato-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jul 12 2014, 3:36pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2014, 3:59pm

Post #152 of 210 (4089 views)
Shortcut
     Here he is [In reply to]  

He gets a flower crown too!Angelic

(Clicky pic)

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 12 2014, 5:02pm

Post #153 of 210 (4096 views)
Shortcut
     but re SDCC, not ALL is gold [In reply to]  

http://jephjacques.com/...oblem-with-comic-con

And for me, just reading this ticketing process was mind-boggling in its seeming complexity:

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/badge-faq

I'm not saying SDCC wouldn't be a great time, and last year re this comment from the article above, as far as I can tell I was faced with some tough choices. A lot of expense, getting to SD and all that. Worse IMO since I would be going for a pretty specific reason - e.g. Middle Earth - how would I feel if I did sit around all day for a panel and then couldn't get in?

- there is a set number of people who can attend, and a set number of people/companies/etc who can exhibit. Tickets for the convention sell out incredibly fast, which means that they’re mostly snapped up by the die-hard Comic Con fans who stay up all night hitting “refresh” in order to buy tickets. You can’t just casually decide to go check out the convention anymore- you have to commit to it months and months in advance.

So if I had really wanted to hurt myself e.g. debt I MIGHT have been able to go to SDCC. Maybe. But methinks If I were going to spend THAT kind of money, for me, maybe I'd be better served by flying to England and seeing the "Crucible". Or crossing my fingers for some other "Cons" in the U.S./Canada. Think we are going to have to depend a lot on TORn for the SDCC goodiesTongue - BTW with BC arriving for his first SDCC, imagine the frenzy......Crazy

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 12 2014, 7:05pm

Post #154 of 210 (4081 views)
Shortcut
     Oh WOW boat great imagery [In reply to]  

Don't know why, but those little paper boats are just so appealing! Thank you! BTW, one thing re the trailer, for sure need to cross my fingers for some more Thranduil pretties!

LOL I messed with Jerry V's DOS print - which of course in the real one w. such a prominent Thorin placement (as it should beWink) is a huge favorite of mine. But I also love what this artist did w. Thranduil and all the elves, just gorgeous! So I did a quick Thranduil/all elf revamp for fun because I love Thranduil's pose so much - I tell yah, start messing w. images and I can't stopCrazyCrazyCrazy

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jul 13 2014, 12:21am

Post #155 of 210 (4058 views)
Shortcut
     Really? [In reply to]  

James Spader is in Lincoln? Heart I didn't know that! OK that's another reason beside LP to check this out. I hadn't been that keen to watch Lincoln because of my lack of grasp on American history, so I thought I might be lost. But I may also get 'edumacated.'

OT: now I am way behind! No thanks to the almost terminal ill-health of my 5 month old laptop (off to the warranty doctor this coming week) Being the weekend and away from trusty work 'puter, Ive had to resort to a little old netbook that has a tenuous relationship with the internet Mad. Yesterday, it was in complete denial about the insertion of WiFi 'dongle' into its self, but today they do seem to be shaking hands.

Re code, Advanced Editor is def not an option on this little beastie - and I have the feeling, not on my new one either. I can't recall seeing it. Hmmmm...

Lessee.... gotta read the HACF articles,
read The Fall articles, still gotta write up my comic con report, partake in CHOW, as well as my Nano writing for the day - plus some emails that peeps are waiting for Wink Somewhere, I've gotta fit in the grocery shopping.....

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jul 13 2014, 1:02am

Post #156 of 210 (4102 views)
Shortcut
     A weta book EE spoiler?? *possible spoiler alert**!! (unless I am embarrassingly 'behind') [In reply to]  

Say… I have just noticed something! Avandel, take a look and a read of the DoS Art & Design book. Page 191, the intro to the Hill of Sorcery chapter.

Did I miss something in the movie, upon 3 full viewings only? Because I don’t recall Gandalf bumping into Thrain at Dol Guldor! Which is referenced right there, with drawings of Thorin’s maddened, ragged, long-lost dad on page 201. I think the book has seriously hinted at an EE scene!

(unless, seriously, I missed something because I chose this moment to make my bathroom dash. Note to self: no more consumption of beverages in viewing lead-up hour. Best remain thirsty yet present.)

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jul 13 2014, 1:19am

Post #157 of 210 (4063 views)
Shortcut
     Suddenly I am really appreciating the local cons... [In reply to]  

A con-going friend and I were whinging how we never get the major stars coming to the Australian events, and there aren't panels promoting upcoming movies, dropping trailers etc. But now I am quite appreciating the relaxed nature of our local cons: Oz Comic-Con, Supanova, Armageddon.

One can stroll up on the day, and wait in maybe a half hour queue for $25 to $30 entry, or buy online and walk pretty much straight in. Then one can stroll in and out of panels while they are happening - inspite of huge numbers of attendees(spaces are well-equipped for a large turn-out). I wandered into Game of Thrones and Robert (Freddie Kruger) Englund panels once they were already underway, and I only had to queue 15 minutes to see the gorgeous Dean O'Gorman, then scoring a seat in the 2nd row with no one sitting in front of me as it was reserved for a premium pass-holder who never showed up, thereby allowing me an unencumbered view in my effort to lock eyes with Dean.Heart

Years ago, I also went to a very small con in Canberra called 'Best of Both Worlds', which was mainly guested by NZ cast and crew. It was so relaxed that we got to hobnob with the guests. In the evening of the 1st day, I was chatting in the bar with Bruce 'Gamling' Hopkins, Daniels Falconer and Reeves, Sandro Kopp - he who plays the unnamed blonde elf at Arwen & Aragorn's wedding, and several costumers and stunties.

When I think of experiences like that, I wouldn't swap them for SDCC for anything! (though naturally, I would still go to SDCC if I had the chance.)

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Jul 13 2014, 1:25am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 13 2014, 5:29am

Post #158 of 210 (4069 views)
Shortcut
     No, it DID happen, just NOT shown in theater! [In reply to]  

And even more insanely - I can't even remember if it's the AUJ or DOS trailer - we see a maddened Thrain jumping down on Gandalf. Plus there are leaked footage pictures here and there on the 'net, and there's this from RA:

Is there any material that has been cut from either of the first two films—possibly restored or to be restored in an extended cut—that you think is vital to your character that you hope audiences would get to see?
Yes, and I’m not sure if it won’t end up in the third film so I won’t talk about it in too much detail. But Thrain, who is Thorin’s father, there’s a big sequence of Gandalf encountering Thrain, and a flashback to when Thorin and Thrain were fighting side by side on the battlefield and Thrain is lost, which is why Thorin goes out on the quest in the first place. So that may make it into an extended edition, but it also may appear somewhere in Movie Three.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/...#blogPostHeaderPanel

Thrain is one of the characters everyone was EXPECTING to see, and of course we see at the beginning of DOS, Thorin is still haunted by his father and where he is. So we can only hope that Thrain will FINALLY have his moment, tho I think it will be sad. But - horrible confession - sshhhhh - I swear if I had to choose, I'd rather have the missing stag sceneHeartHeartHeart

Also - *drool* one thing I noticed in these books, how much effort was put into the desolate, WINTER Dale. Methinks Dale - tho we kind of know from the Appendices - is going to be a major guerilla battle ground - I imagine the kind of fighting ELVES excel at, and can make use of the heights of the broken buildings.

(This post was edited by Avandel on Jul 13 2014, 5:29am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 13 2014, 12:20pm

Post #159 of 210 (4034 views)
Shortcut
     LoL... thanks. Now we've got a matched set of lovelies // [In reply to]  

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the potato-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 13 2014, 12:24pm

Post #160 of 210 (4033 views)
Shortcut
     Wow... so it's a bit like braving an IT show/exhibition then [In reply to]  

which we get quarterly, and I swear it's like that scene from 2012 everytime you're part of the escalator sandwich.

I'm sorta glad I don't have to hurt myself over attending the SD Con now. Pennies better saved for WETA books or that NZ trip! Mental balance is restored. Thanks, Avandel.Smile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 13 2014, 12:33pm

Post #161 of 210 (4049 views)
Shortcut
     Wow.. was that a GIMP piece? [In reply to]  

*saves it* You have some skill Smile Thank you!

I so need to get my butt in gear with this. Re the char pics in the poster - I think it's a bit sad that it's the latest, newest image of Thranduil we've got Crazy needs more Pretty!

Gah, just noticed my fav boat pic didn't work after all. So here it is again

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 13 2014, 1:10pm

Post #162 of 210 (4002 views)
Shortcut
     *nods* Really [In reply to]  

You might not recognise him immediately though - I just thought he looked familiar but couldn't quite place him. It took the cast list, which I was perusing for LP's name, for the light bulb moment. Let's just say his look was quite up to his namesake Smile

This will probably not ring a bell with you, but I was also quite amused to find it was Walter Goggins (who plays Boyd the key antagonist in an interesting cowboy law-enforcer Justified which I quite enjoy, along with House Of Cards) playing totally against type as the mousey Clay Hawkins... eh, as mentioned, our English entertainment choices are quite the US smorgasbord - I'd like to say it's like we're just a quaint little township somewhere in the vicinity of East Village, NYC or some such place.

Re the ailing lappie. Good luck with it. Thank goodness it's within warranty! I had my lappie die juuust 2 weeks after warranty expired, sometime in April. I could have killed someone over it. Luckily, it was a simple problem to fix - dead hard disk drive. I had, luckily, done a backup because I was getting a bad feeling at how everything seemed to be going into permanent bullet time. For the next precious I'm going to go with the future and gets us solid state drive, and minimise potential grief from dying disk drives, though hopefully I won't have to buy it at great pain by the time I need to hit the market. *fingers crossed*

For relevance

(And here for some Hiddles art Smile)

Re code, Advanced Editor is def not an option on this little beastie - and I have the feeling, not on my new one either. I can't recall seeing it. Hmmmm...

If you see the "Switch to Basic Editor" button on the lower left of the input window, you're good. It's a toggle switch, so if you see "Switch to Advanced Editor" just click it, and you should still end up fine.Smile

Also, you might want to check your profile settings. I have my post editor option set to Advanced Editor so I don't have to keep switching over. And yeah, it seems whether you can use Advanced Editor is browser compatibility thing as well.

Heheh, I love grocery shopping, especially if I'm in another country. Always find it fascinating and a great way to pick up some cooking stuff, usually on the cheap.Heart

Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 13 2014, 1:12pm

Post #163 of 210 (4040 views)
Shortcut
     I think I would like the ANZ Cons as well! [In reply to]  

I think that's the way Cons oughta be. The way SD Con operates sounds too crazy, and too well, differently focused from its roots. Sad really.

Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 13 2014, 1:23pm

Post #164 of 210 (4042 views)
Shortcut
     *drumroll* Look to the EE!!! [In reply to]  

Thrain is one of the characters everyone was EXPECTING to see, and of course we see at the beginning of DOS, Thorin is still haunted by his father and where he is. So we can only hope that Thrain will FINALLY have his moment, tho I think it will be sad. But - horrible confession - sshhhhh - I swear if I had to choose, I'd rather have the missing stag sceneHeartHeartHeart

Ditto! Blush

Methinks Dale - tho we kind of know from the Appendices - is going to be a major guerilla battle ground - I imagine the kind of fighting ELVES excel at, and can make use of the heights of the broken buildings.

Yes!!!!!! can't wait to see the Elves killing it. Still wondering how different will Thranduil's locomotion and fighting style be from the grunts. Will we get a glimpse where we go, "Ah, yes, that's where Leggy gets his moves from"? Whatever it is, all's good... except no surfing Thranduil please! Crazy

And just gotta say, I find in the RA interview this to be the interesting bit that was never really expressed in the book. A bit Shakepearean, and nice extrapolation of the Dwarven arc.
In terms of the editing of these films, what has been the most surprising aspect of your character that emerged without you necessarily trying to emphasize?
I think that introspection that emerges in this second film. When he’s talking to Balin outside the door and he goes, “I’m not my father.” The feelings of, "I’m not my father, but I feel myself treading the same path, so am I going to suffer the same fate he suffered?" And it’s quite a scary notion—a grandparent that perhaps had a terminal illness and he’s beginning to notice the same symptoms in himself, and yet he still has to go down there. I think those are the things that surprised me most about the character. I didn’t know we were going to go that deep into him.

=======

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 13 2014, 5:37pm

Post #165 of 210 (4022 views)
Shortcut
     Think SDCC just grew!!!! [In reply to]  

Course we'd all love to go if it were EASY. Or at least reasonably hard, like an all-day music fest. But at least those things are open-air, and you can mill around. I guess if I lived around SD (more or less) I'd go, but as these articles say for me it would have been over a year's worth of planning and $$$$. And while unlike last year, I could pretty well count on PJ & co. being there this year - there's nothing CERTAIN. Guess that was one of the big deciding things for me, no guarantee no matter how much I camped out that I would get what I had come for.Frown

And let's face it, I've been in SD and the convention center is near the harbor, it's a tourist area. Very nice but the hotels are $$$ anyway re the location. And am sure not only is it vacation season in the U.S., but every hotel raised its rates over this. The funny thing is, I read some article months ago and I can't remember why, but anyway in spite of the complaints of the limited ticket numbers, the SDCC organizers are committed to the SD convention center for the next 10 years, or something like that. Which I thought was strange, because if this a business of sorts, wouldn't you expand your space, because if you don't you are losing money?Unsure

So I figured if a major point for me was to see PJ and cast and crew, when the hoopla dies down, maybe the day will come when I meet or see folks under less crowded $$$ circumstances. I'll always want to talk about the Hobbit movies!HeartHeartHeart And happily TORn staff seem to be insiders? so we will get some info!

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 13 2014, 5:51pm

Post #166 of 210 (4008 views)
Shortcut
     By the Valar [In reply to]  

Yes!!!!!! can't wait to see the Elves killing it. Still wondering how different will Thranduil's locomotion and fighting style be from the grunts. Will we get a glimpse where we go, "Ah, yes, that's where Leggy gets his moves from"? Whatever it is, all's good... except no surfing Thranduil please! Crazy

Thranduil, as far as I know, is one of the most extraordinary sword-wielders in ME (tho I can't remember where I read that). Of course I fret over the Heirs of Durin, but there are MOMENTS I imagine re Thorin that have me breathless (and I can only hope the film gives me more than I dream). I also shake with anticipation over seeing Thranduil enter the fray *drools*. Just. So. Epic. HeartHeartHeartHeart

PS. Thank the Valar for fan-fic, where you can butcher Tolkien and re-write things however you like
PS2. *bows deeply* that you like my quick little image, but too true it's sad we have to look far afield for images. If I could actually DRAW I'd be a busy making my own Thranduil images, but it's just not the same as film footage. BTW no worries re Gimp, learning new SW can be dull and you said you had a lot going on. But yes, that was a "quickie" in Gimp tho you could do the same in PS. When and if you want to know, I'll PM you the steps for something like that. Basically it's just cutting out pieces of 2 images and blending the edges (as well as doing some tricks to get rid of the dwarves that were floating down river in the original Wink)
PS3. We need a Popcorn Taxi interview - I LOVED that one of RA's - for Lee Pace! We need to start a campaign!Tongue
PS4. Wow, this TA thread has gotten huge! Is it time for the next one?Wink

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 13 2014, 5:53pm

Post #167 of 210 (3994 views)
Shortcut
     Had to grab that!!! [In reply to]  

So so cute - thank you for taking the time! Now I gotta go put out that firework that went off at Erebor......Wink

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 13 2014, 5:56pm

Post #168 of 210 (4014 views)
Shortcut
     Your experiences sound lovely! [In reply to]  

To have the good of a view of Dean *sigh*. To be able to actually talk the crew who were involved in these moviesHeartHeartHeartHeart
Think we all would love to go to SDCC if we could. If we were all there, we could hold places in lines for each other for hours, days....Wink

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2014, 8:41pm

Post #169 of 210 (4043 views)
Shortcut
     Interesting [In reply to]  

Thanks for those links Lurker, they were very informative.Smile And it seems I'm better at guessing than I thought I was!

Now that you say it, I agree that Bilbo probably won't be the one to ask the healing question, given how late in the game he sees Thranduil again. I like the idea of Legolas being the one to do it though so, Go Leggy!Cool

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2014, 9:00pm

Post #170 of 210 (4019 views)
Shortcut
     Ooooh, nice pic! [In reply to]  

*saves pic*

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2014, 9:13pm

Post #171 of 210 (4022 views)
Shortcut
     I hear the key to seeing panels... [In reply to]  

...at least the key to getting a good seat to see the panels at Comic Cons, is to sit through at least one or two of the panels scheduled before the one you really want to see and move forward as many rows of seats as you can while some people get up to leave. The way I look at it, if I'm going to spend that much time to get good seats, it better be one darned good ME panel!Tongue But yeah, I totally agree, it would be super annoying to spend that much time and money and not be able to see the stuff you came to see.

I'm not saying SDCC wouldn't be a great time, and last year re this comment from the article above, as far as I can tell I was faced with some tough choices. A lot of expense, getting to SD and all that. Worse IMO since I would be going for a pretty specific reason - e.g. Middle Earth - how would I feel if I did sit around all day for a panel and then couldn't get in?

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2014, 9:29pm

Post #172 of 210 (4019 views)
Shortcut
     Wheeee! [In reply to]  

I'm getting super duper excited for the read-along! Is it the 18th yet?...How about now?Wink

Oh, I just remembered, we get to find out what teams we're on tomorrow! Woohoo! *bounces up and down in chair*

Yay, you have COH now! I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it even though it is quite grim throughout. However, I will warn you that the very last chapter is definitely the most DEPRESSING! I finished it and was just thinking, "Gosh, that went downhill fast." I guess that's why they call it a dark fantasy.Unimpressed

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 14 2014, 12:05am

Post #173 of 210 (3980 views)
Shortcut
     Now that's good advice! [In reply to]  

Just park yourself for the day (:

I also remember reading that at some point PJ had given this kind of technical lecture, and it was 11:00 at night, and there was hardly anyone there. So maybe the key is to do offbeat stuff! (I wondered if the secret is to just get a cleaning cart and wheel it around, nobody ever bothers with someone cleaning. But I bet that has been tried, more than once.Cool

Kim
Valinor

Jul 14 2014, 3:32am

Post #174 of 210 (4000 views)
Shortcut
     A little something for all of the Thralls [In reply to]  

I'm guessing many of you don't frequent the Oakentoons site since it's primarily focused on our beloved dwarf king, but I thought today's toon was right up your alley:

http://peckishowl.deviantart.com/...-the-Realm-467805602

Smile

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jul 14 2014, 7:48am

Post #175 of 210 (3961 views)
Shortcut
     Wha --- !!! How did I miss this? [In reply to]  

Along with that vlog bit where we get an aerial shot of Thranduil lounging in his throne and saying something like "Long has it been since Thorin Oakenshield was seen so far east. To what purpose?" LOVED the way he said that.

Please link me to this particular vlog! I thought I'd watched them all but I can't remember this bit Shocked

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.