The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
biggest mistake?

trqn13
Bree

Jul 12 2014, 5:45am

Post #1 of 9 (1077 views)
Shortcut
biggest mistake? Can't Post

For me a major low point was no songs (so far) in DOS, peter jackson gave us 3 songs in AUJ, might anyone agree to call it potentially a "biggest mistake of all" if theres no songs again in BOTFA? (not even if its just a small verse of the road goes ever on and on from Bilbo) its looks likely BOTFA will be near 3 hours of fighting and the end of this tauriel stuff, but hope not

"Give me your name, Horse Master, and I shall give you mine"

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 12 2014, 7:34am

Post #2 of 9 (628 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't call it that [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd consider it a missed opportunity.

I do expect at least one song to be sung in the theatrical version of TBotFA. A rousing ballad (perhaps a chilling solo from Thorin) will definitely add depth to an already stirring film.

They may intend to have the TBotFA slightly resemble structural aspects of RoTK by presenting a song that vaguely echoes the one that Pippin sings to Denethor (though, I'm not sure if that song was sung in the theatrical version).

I presume that PJ did not want to disrupt the pace nor extend the running time of DOS by including a song or two. And I believe that a good portion of the general audience lacked the fervent desire to behold another number. Oddly enough, I thought that it would be best to exclude any songs from the theatrical cut of the very direct middle chapter; and I love the company's musical performances.

I suspect that PJ, who has enthusiastically acknowledged the songs contained within the novel, may have likely saved a couple of tunes for the DOS EE.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Jul 12 2014, 7:44am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 12 2014, 8:30am

Post #3 of 9 (576 views)
Shortcut
I doubt if it was a mistake.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure it happened because they didn't find a song they wanted to include in DoS, or couldn't fit one in within the time. For all we know, there may be a song in the extended edition.

And if there are no songs in the third film it won't be a mistake either - it'll be a conscious decision, probably made because other stuff seems more important.

But that said, they are aware of the importance of songs and poetry in Tolkien's books - they've already shown that right through the series. I think there's every chance that there will be some nod in that direction during the film - I can see ample opportunities for it. Don't give up yet - wait and see!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 12 2014, 1:01pm

Post #4 of 9 (510 views)
Shortcut
'Roads Go Ever Ever On' [In reply to] Can't Post

When Bilbo recites this in The Hobbit, it is still just a poem; it doesn't get set to music until much later on.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 12 2014, 1:02pm)

tarasaurus
Rohan

Jul 12 2014, 1:36pm

Post #5 of 9 (493 views)
Shortcut
I'm still counting on [In reply to] Can't Post

Richard singing the ending credits, but I'm not sure if they'd want to have us leaving the theater crying more than we already will be Laugh

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 12 2014, 2:19pm

Post #6 of 9 (482 views)
Shortcut
I hope that they somehow include [In reply to] Can't Post

The Road Goes Ever On and On somewhere in the trilogy. Even though I can never remember the whole thing, that first line has always stuck with me and is permanently connected to The Hobbit in my mind. It would seem strange not to have it somewhere in the movies.

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

Cillendor
Lorien

Jul 12 2014, 5:33pm

Post #7 of 9 (450 views)
Shortcut
We'll almost certainly have two songs. [In reply to] Can't Post

After Thorin and the Dwarves take Erebor, the Dwarves modify the lyrics to "Misty Mountains Cold" to speak of their victory. That has to be in there. It'll probably sound a lot like the song from An Unexpected Journey, but maybe less melancholy.

And I expect a reprise of this song during the funeral. I'd die of delight if it were in Khuzdul, but who knows yet?

Nira
Lorien

Jul 12 2014, 7:04pm

Post #8 of 9 (402 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! Yes, The Road Goes Ever On and On must be included.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 12 2014, 8:04pm

Post #9 of 9 (416 views)
Shortcut
ROADS Go Ever Ever On! [In reply to] Can't Post

Again, Bilbo's original version is "Roads Go Ever Ever On" and he did not initially have it set to music. I suggest that Bilbo recites it as a poem as he dos in the book; and the end credits song could be a number based on it.

I am all for the Dwarves' sequel to the "Misty Mountains" song either sung to cheer up Thorin and/or sung as a dirge at his funeral.

The Elves of Rivendell could be singing one or more of their songs in the background if we see anything of Bilbo's stay there during his return journey.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.