Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
What would you like to see in this space?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 11 2014, 2:07pm

Post #26 of 30 (575 views)
Shortcut
But now I am confused [In reply to] Can't Post

Earlier you had said:

In Reply To
And partly for the reason I touched on - that was what I thought 5 years ago. If someone is reposting what I thought 5 years ago, how will they know that's what I think today?

So if we do something like this:

In Reply To
I like the idea of 'repurposing' old discussion threads right down to using the same questions, discussion prompts, etc. (with credit to original posters, of course).

Aren't we reposting what someone (the original poster) thought 5 years ago? I'm not sure I'm following how that is different. Maybe an example would help?

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 11 2014, 3:54pm

Post #27 of 30 (574 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the original post is not positing opinions but is putting forth information.

"Here's a screenshot."

"Here's a transcript of this DVD extra."

"Here are time stamps for this music."

"Here are some quotes from ____ on this matter."

"Here are 5 entries in gramma's geeky observation list."

and then it puts forth question prompts - which a new discussion might or might not use.

but that original post doesn't ... mostly.. tend to put forth that person's opinions or personal thoughts or reactions. The replies to that original post is the back and forth of conversation that keeps a board (in my opinion) alive with real connections. (and the original thread starter might offer their own opinions... but it's likely done as a reply, ranked in that thread structure with other replies)

It really depends on the discussion, as well.

My music discussions were full of facts and resources (like images or sound files) that I hoped would allow people to form opinions or have reactions or musings. Those facts and resources are really the same stuff as you might find on my website or wikipedia like sites. So why not draw on what I've already 'worked up'. The new discussion leader could utilize those resources, asking the same discussion prompts I asked (which aren't personal like when I talk about how the Destruction of the Ring theme moves me) or they could come up with their own discussion prompts or they could take the idea and let it inspire them to do something similar - about music or anything else.

In the GOLD series (Geeky Observation List Discussions), Lossefalme directed people's attention to a subset of (like 5) entries in gramma's geeky observation list. Then she asked questions as discussion prompts. So a new thread leader could take inspiration for using the List in some new format, or they could follow Lossefalme's format and schedule, (5 at a time working their way through the movie), and they could even use some of L's discussion prompts.

But I see a difference in directly reusing this: "Is there anything that jumps out at you from this scene?" .... which is not particular personal to the original writer...

and directly reusing this: " this is our first glimpse of the Shire and its inhabitants. I don’t know about you, but this was when I was absolutely certain that we were in good hands and everything was going to be okay. Is there a geeky thing from our substantial list (from Concerning Hobbits) that you would say first struck you and let you know that this was for real? For me, from the list, it was Gandalf singing The Road Goes Ever On and On with the perfect person cast as Gandy (kinda #48). Off the list, (‘cause it’s not really a geeky observation), I really knew it as soon as I saw the green of Hobbiton – even just where Frodo was sitting and reading. It was just right." ... which is highly personal to the original writer.

Here's a similar discussion thread in the EE appendices discussion series. You can see there's a lot of non-personal discussion prompts there. The thread starter is not, for the most part, telling us what he thought (back in 2005) about this segment of the appendices. (and I would edit out, if I were using this, any personal thoughts) That stuff, in my opinion, can be reused.

But as a divergence, I have to say that, QTNA (Questions That Need Answering) - for all the research and resources that were worked up for the threads - were highly personal to the thread leader, Hobbit love. I would not want to repost those without Hobbit love's permission. But, I don't see a big problem with taking the idea/concept of the thread and creating a revamped, revised, or just continuation of the series.

Now, to be clear, I do think that, if someone were going to take inspiration from a past discussion to post a series today, that it would be nice to run it by the original discussion or thread leaders when possible. When it isn't, I think full credit should be given in the new post.

"All material was originally researched and posted by _____" with a link back to that thread.

or.. "Inspiration was taken from this post by ______" when the new thread leader has used the old thread as a research source.

Not sure if that helps. I'm glad you're asking for some clarification though because this is how fine tuning of discussions and decisions get made. And this is just how I feel. I'm not trying to impose my will on everyone. Just bring it up for discussion. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 11 2014, 5:01pm

Post #28 of 30 (574 views)
Shortcut
Information vs personal commentary [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for letting me see in detail what you had in mind. I appreciate also getting into the details of what is being discussed :).

I agree it would be great if there was a way to offer the facts and findings that were gleaned from so much research and effort that was put into many of these threads. But I am of the opinion now that saving them on the Mathom site is really the best way to do that. Now that I've taken a little time to look through quite a few of the individual post links that are on the Mathom site, I am thinking that in reality it would be nearly, maybe completely, impossible, to post even only the leader threads (minus responses), without encroaching on the personal boundaries of the original leader posters. I find even the questions put forth tended to be nuanced with the personality of the poster, e.g. some were more technical, some were more artistically oriented, etc. Fact and opinion were simply intertwined so much in these posts (and therein lay much of their charm and appeal, really) that trying to dissect them now would, I think, ruin them.

Overall, based on our discussion here, and reading through them on the mathom site, I have come around to the opinion that the idea to re-run older threads themselves should not be pursued. Just leave them be as they are, where they will always be available for reference in their entirety for anyone who has the interest.

This is different than starting over completely new with a formerly run series. If there is interest in those formats, current members could post their own entirely new threads, using say (just an example) the GOLD Nuggets format. They'd use the format, but it would be a completely new and original post of their own. I think that is what you're saying here too?:

In Reply To
So a new thread leader could take inspiration for using the List in some new format

If there is interest, that could work.

Also, on another rather timely note, News from Bree just posted a spot on the trailers of LOTR. There's another potential idea for a series - an analysis of the trailers.

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Jul 11 2014, 5:03pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 11 2014, 6:02pm

Post #29 of 30 (579 views)
Shortcut
you could be right [In reply to] Can't Post

I could easily come around to your point here.

re: the LOTR trailers....

FOTR
TTT

It looks like I didn't post the ROTK trailer info but I worked it up for my website:

http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...s/index_trailers.htm

but this is an example that, if someone wanted to do a series on the trailers and started from scratch accumulating all this information... I'd be heartbroken that they were unaware of or hesitant to put all the stupid amount of time I put into these things to some good use! lol.

In fact, if Demos did all that research from scratch, that was a shame.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 16 2014, 1:37pm

Post #30 of 30 (600 views)
Shortcut
These are *amazing*! [In reply to] Can't Post

Perfect examples of all the effort that went into these researched posts. And what's also great about these particular threads is how they capture the atmosphere of what was going on 'back then'. A number of times on TORn I've seen posts where people ask 'what was it like back then'? What was it like when the movies were in the works, how did it feel to be part of that excitement, etc.

These are just too good to leave in a vault somewhere. Maybe there's a way we could let people know that they are welcome to re-use information from these earlier posts, as long as they just include a credit of where they got it from? Maybe a sticky?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.