Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Emmy Nominations - Who are you rooting for?

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 11 2014, 9:38am

Post #1 of 12 (625 views)
Shortcut
Emmy Nominations - Who are you rooting for? Can't Post

http://www.emmys.com/awards/nominees-winners

I really cannot decide, especially with the actors. TV (well, at least the high-points) is so good these days.

I hope though that especially "Best Writing" and "Best Series" will go to one of the newer series.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

smtfhw
Lorien

Jul 11 2014, 10:18am

Post #2 of 12 (567 views)
Shortcut
Really? Seriously? [In reply to] Can't Post

Downton Abbey? Why?! Why is it in there? It's dreadful, it's wooden, it's so cliched it's out the other side of ironic - it's only worth the effort for Maggie Smith.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2014, 2:23pm

Post #3 of 12 (557 views)
Shortcut
My favs [In reply to] Can't Post

Drama Series: True Detective
Comedy: Veep or Louis (can't pick)
Miniseries: Fargo
Actor in a drama: Either McConnaughey or Spacey ( can't pick)
Supporting Actor Drama: Peter Dinklage
Miniseries Actor: Billy Bob Thornton
Supporitng actor miniseries/movie - Martin freeman for sherlock
Actress in a Drama: Kerry Washington
Supporting Actress Drama: Lena Headey
Supporting actress miniseries/movie - Allison Tolman
Comedy Actor: Louis C.K.
Comedy Actress: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Writing: Nik Pizolatto (True Detective)
Writer for miniseries or movie: Noah Hawley
Director for miniseries or movie: Adam Bernstein Fargo
Cinematography - Matt Lloyd for Fargo
Art Direction - Game of Thrones
Music composition for a Minseries: Sherlock His Last Vow

All of it of course is based on what one likes so it's just personal opinion and honestly I don't usually watch award shows but if you ask me, these are my favorites!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Annael
Immortal

Jul 11 2014, 2:57pm

Post #4 of 12 (543 views)
Shortcut
It's a crime that Tatiana Maslany was not nominated for Lead Actress in a Drama Series [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm blown away by her in every episode of "Orphan Black" (where she plays . . . eight? . . . different characters). It's a tour de force each time.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Jul 11 2014, 2:58pm)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jul 11 2014, 4:44pm

Post #5 of 12 (538 views)
Shortcut
As a fantasy fan [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thrilled that Game of Thrones is up for so much. Peter Dinklage was phenomenal as usual this year and deserves a nom just for "the speech" alone. I don't know if I agree with Best Supporting though. I know it's very much an ensemble piece, but if Tyrion isn't the main male character of the show, I don't know who is.

I would love to see best actor nods for True Detective and Fargo - whichever of the four actors that might be. All did great work. It is strange not seeing them up against eachother though. It would be cool to see Matthew McConaughey make the Oscar/Emmy history, and that might very well happen, but Woody Harrelson was also wonderful.

One thing I will miss is rooting for Jack Huston. He was wonderful as Richard Harrow in Boardwalk Empire and I would have liked to see him get a nom the last time he was eligible for it.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 11 2014, 6:37pm

Post #6 of 12 (529 views)
Shortcut
Have you actually watched it!?!? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a wonderful drama. The story is one of the best shows on TV!

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 11 2014, 6:38pm

Post #7 of 12 (529 views)
Shortcut
I heard about GOT last night! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was so excited! They deserve to do well!

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Jul 11 2014, 6:38pm)

smtfhw
Lorien

Jul 11 2014, 9:20pm

Post #8 of 12 (520 views)
Shortcut
If you mean Downton... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep. The first two series. I lost the will to live during the third one... Unfortunately my father in law insists on watching it. The plot developments couldn't be more obvious if they were signposted from space and it's so lacking in subtlety it's unbelievable.

(This post was edited by smtfhw on Jul 11 2014, 9:31pm)

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jul 12 2014, 4:26am

Post #9 of 12 (502 views)
Shortcut
I'm rooting for Sherlock - His Last Vow [In reply to] Can't Post

In all twelve of the categories it's been nominated in! Here's hoping Benedict and Martin get theirs! As well as Stephen Moffat and the other creative artists who worked on this one!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Jul 12 2014, 4:27am)

dubulous
Rohan

Jul 12 2014, 4:31am

Post #10 of 12 (500 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad Peter Dinklage got nomianted [In reply to] Can't Post

He really killed it this season.

That said, I'm not so sure about Lena Headey. Sure she's a step up from Emilia Clarke, but not in the same league as Michelle Fairley who got snubbed last year.

And on a non-Game of Thrones note, it's unbelievable that Tatiana Maslany was ignored again. The Emmys have always been a bit of a joke and it just seems to be getting worse.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2014, 5:23am

Post #11 of 12 (506 views)
Shortcut
Mixed feelings... [In reply to] Can't Post

On the one hand, I find myself caring less and less about awards (Emmys, Oscars, etc.) each year. The entire practice just just feels increasingly pointless and self congratulatory.

On the other hand, as a big Game of Thrones fan, it warms my heart to see the show getting increasing publicity as each year goes on - these nominations being part of that. Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey did exceptional work this season, so I'm certainly not upset to see them get accolades.

But at the same time, so many others on the show have been equally brilliant. The lack of nominations for them doesn't diminish their work in the slightest, so I'm not sure what purpose it serves to single out Peter and Lena.

Just in general, the whole thing doesn't feel like it has anything to do with enjoying actual television programs (or, in the case of the Oscars, film).

Apologies for the rant. Really, I don't mean to be such a downer. Tongue

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2014, 3:28pm

Post #12 of 12 (485 views)
Shortcut
I pretty much feel the same way [In reply to] Can't Post

I lost interest in award shows a long time ago. It's entirely self congratulatory. We kind of sit on the sidelines and cheer because we like them but ultimately I have to be honest, I don't care all that much.

I haven't watched an Oscar or Emmy show in many many years. I find them boring. I also find the whole red carpet "look at the fashion" garish and ridiculous.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.