The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part VII
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 8 2014, 11:48pm

Post #101 of 210 (6776 views)
Shortcut
     Gotta come back to these but meantime re GotG: thusly he speaketh! [In reply to]  

Well, vanima, ask and you shall receive it seems. You might have already seen this but (a wittle bit) mwoar Ronan... and soundbit!

(In hong kong right now and gonna properly respond to everything else in a day or when I get home cos it is a p.a.i.n. to type up TORn posts on the smartphone - hope the hotlinking works* *lurks back into the lurkmirk*)

ETA: corrects code and makes linkie hot.So hates forum response interface and misses laptop we does. *Shakeses fist at forum markup coding syntax in smartphone interface* Ha! Can't best us, silly codeses!

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars! Teh partsies: Prologue, One (None save Avandel knows whither teh "One"), Two, Three

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jul 8 2014, 11:59pm)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jul 9 2014, 12:53am

Post #102 of 210 (6730 views)
Shortcut
     Code - it hates me [In reply to]  

ETA: corrects code and makes linkie hot.So hates forum response interface and misses laptop we does. *Shakeses fist at forum markup coding syntax in smartphone interface* Ha! Can't best us, silly codeses!

This is why, you may note, my links are never "titled". Don't know why but that particular mark-up code just never works for me, even when I copy it directly from html sites, and previous successful code way in the past. (where's the head-thumping-desk icon?) So, you'll always just get the full link in all its encumbering glory from me. Unimpressed

You might have already seen this but (a wittle bit) mwoar Ronan... and soundbit!

Ronan speaks! At 1:25 to be precise. Sent shivers Heart Also buzzed to see Michael Rooker - more badassery!

Lucky you - HK is in my top 5 favourite cities. I'd live there in a heartbeat if I could.

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Jul 9 2014, 1:01am)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2014, 5:37pm

Post #103 of 210 (6712 views)
Shortcut
     Nice! [In reply to]  

Good observation, Kim!Smile Wow, Elrond's broach looks different close-up. You can't really see in the movie that it has those black inlays at all. Interesting that the calendar makers would chose it to randomly stick on one of the pages with no explanation. I guess they wanted it to be like a big Hobbit-themed Find-It, where every time some object appears on the calendar that you don't recognize, you get to watch the movie again and try to spot it!Cool

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2014, 6:51pm

Post #104 of 210 (6725 views)
Shortcut
     Healing question [In reply to]  

That poster...wow...yeah, I don't think that works for me either!Crazy And Smaug as a PTSD counselor? I thought he was the one causing the PTSD! Well, I guess that's one way to make sure he always has patients!Tongue

And I'll just have to wait until I see Thranduil make adjustments after hearing that Healing Question in tBotFA before I can see him as a Goody Two Shoes Cap.

Re the Healing Question: I keep wondering what, exactly a "healing question" is? Other than what was mentioned in that TORn article, I'm totally unfamiliar with The Fisher King. So, is it some sort of (for lack of a better term) pre-set magic thing where there's a very specific question that is needed for someone to ask him and *boom* he's healed?

Or is it more subtle than that, where someone simply asks him a question that causes him to have an epiphany about the true source of his problem and he is finally able to make the change that allows him to heal?

In the case of BotFA at least, I suspect the latter scenario is more likely, should they continue using the Fisher King-like story arc for Thranduil. The potential the question askers are probably Bilbo, Legolas, or Tauriel, but I really hope it's Bilbo just because he's so innocent and sweet.Heart

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2014, 8:05pm

Post #105 of 210 (6704 views)
Shortcut
     FantasyCon was huge and hobbity [In reply to]  

and that could account for the much lower-key presence. Back after ROTK was released, it took nearly a year before some cinema finally decided to run a trilogy screening - and it wasn't booked out. (Slow burn perhaps - they ran an EE trilogy screening a year ago and that WAS booked out!)

Or it could be that these are much smaller cons than in the US, and so there's a concentration on what are the very current popular fandoms - and there could be a marketing thing going on here

That's certainly a possibility. It could also be that cons can be a little harder for people to get to than the movie theater. I know that's the case for me.

FantasyCon which happened here in the US in Salt Lake City, Utah this past weekend was huge and it was full to bursting with hobbit fans and LOTR panels and other fun stuff. I wasn't able to go, of course, but TORn did lots of live streaming video which I and others spent way too much time watching.Tongue There were a bunch of LOTR/TH VIPs there too, including 7 dwarf actors, Sean Astin, Billy Boyd, and Doug Adams.

There were plenty of LOTR fans there as well, and when the iPad was set down so those of us who were in the chat room could people-watch for awhile, it didn't take long for the LOTR cosplayers to go by. I saw lots and lots of dwarves, several Bilbos, a bunch of random elves, at least one Gandalf, a Shadowfax (yes, Shadowfax the horseLaugh) a Smaug, an Annatar, at least one Legolas, a couple of Tauriels, and even a Gil-Galad...but no Thranduil. Seriously? *sigh* I guess all the Thranduil cosplayers are going to the other big cons this year, like SDCC and DragonCon.

If anyone's interested, you can see alot of the FantasyCon footage here. As of this very moment, any of the videos from 6 days ago all the way through the more recent ones, up to the one labeled "FantasyCon Day 3" are from FantasyCon. Some of them are footage from panels, including the several of the ones with the dwarf actors, and some of them are just Justin Sewell or one of the Happy Hobbit girls walking around with the iPad, showing the viewers the convention center and talking to the people who were in the chat room at the time.

You can also hear Cliff Broadway a.k.a. Quickbeam and Justin talk about what happened at FantasyCon and show lots more cool pictures here.

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2014, 8:20pm

Post #106 of 210 (6677 views)
Shortcut
     Pride is a possibility [In reply to]  

Unless they both had the same terribly wrong blond moment of stiff-necked pride?

The more of Tolkien's writing I read (especially in The Children of Hurin which I finished reading this weekend. Gosh, that was depressing.), the more I'm seeing characters that make really dumb choices because of pride. Seriously, I just want to slap some of them and yell, "Let it go already! Your pride isn't worth your or someone else's life!" They never listen to me though and someone usually ends up hurt or dead.Unsure

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2014, 8:44pm

Post #107 of 210 (6719 views)
Shortcut
     *sing-song voice* Guess what came in the mail today! [In reply to]  

It's so big and shiny and has that crisp new-book smell that I love!CoolHeart There are five whole pages dedicated to Thranduil all by himself and several more about his halls and Mirkwood in general!

Have any other Thralls gotten the Cloaks and Daggers book? I think I remember seeing mention of it in one of the old appreciation threads, but for the life of me I can't find it now.Blush

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jul 9 2014, 8:47pm

Post #108 of 210 (6685 views)
Shortcut
     You are right, Kerewyn, "The Fall" is such a great movie [In reply to]  

on so many levels. Its so deep, yet young children would love it. That was the first movie I ever saw Lee Pace in, and it was way before DOS so I did not know who he was, and after DOS, it still took me a while to make that connection. He is such an incredible talent. Another great movie he is in is Steven Speilberg's "Lincoln." It is a smallish part but his performance is memorable. And there is a Mr. Bilbo in it, who helps procure the votes Lincoln needs to pass the 13th Amendment. Mr. Bilbo is tenacious, likes to eat, and funny. I did not know that Bilbo was an actual last name, I've never heard of it before. And I have heard he is in Breaking Dawn II, although I have not seen it.

Please, call me Ve.

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jul 9 2014, 9:22pm

Post #109 of 210 (6678 views)
Shortcut
     There is so many possibilities for new movies! [In reply to]  

I would love to see the stuff going on with the Elves in the ancient days too! Oropher and Thranduil's story has really captured my imagination. Like you say, in the right hands, it would be amazing to see their story and I do not think anyone else but PJ could do it justice. It would be so cool if PJ could make a movie about Elfish history that would include their 1st day alive on Middle Earth, they were the first ones to awaken, so that must have been an incredible day in Middle Earth and Elvish history, the story of Feanor, King Thingol, Berin and Luthian, and, of course Oropher and Thrandiul. And this is just a drop in the bucket.

I was looking at a thread on Main about the actual WETA tapistry used in DOS which shows the entire Line of Durin. It is soooooo cool, I would love to have a real one and I hope they sell them some day. It shows the entire line of Durin, and Thorin, Frerin and Dis are all on it. The face of Thorin actually resembles him somewhat, Frerin appears to have his eyes closed (possibly signifiying that he has died?), and the face of Dis, well, I have to wonder if it may resemble somewhat the actor that may play her in BO5F (well, if she is to be in it at all, but they must of used someone's face as inspiration,right?). So, I started to think that if PJ were to make a movie of the entire Line of Durin, it would probably be awesomely incredible. Beginning with Durin, ending with Dis. And no legal problems because it is all Appendices.

Another movie idea would be to make all six of his movies into another set of extendeds. I remember from one of the DVD appendices, that he has so much film of each movie, like hours and hours of each movie that no one has ever seen. He could come out with Super Special Extended Editions of each of the six movies, making each one 5 - 6 hours long, and still have film left over. Sounds good to me, PJ! And it would not be very complicated and not take much time.

Please know that I read all of the comics when I come in here and they all make me smile. And I am going to have to print out that FanPic of Oropher and of the Tapistry this week. The FanPics amaze me!

Please, call me Ve.

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jul 9 2014, 10:06pm

Post #110 of 210 (6685 views)
Shortcut
     I have been lurking around Tolkien Gateway, and there was [In reply to]  

definately something going on between Oropher and Gil-galad (who was, I believe the Commander of the Elfs in the Battle of the Last Alliance), and Oropher definately had dislike and distrust for the Nolder. See, I have not yet read the Sil so I still do not really know what the Noldor may have done to offend Oropher so much. They get this information from UT, Celeborn and Galadrial, but I must of missed some parts. O.K., when I started that chapter I had a terrific case of Thorinitus (which I was thoroughly enjoying), so I was not interested much in Elvish history, only Dwarvish history or things about the Hobbits and the Ring. I skimmed over some of it, some I read before going to bed, all tired and bleary-eyed. Then I began visiting this thread and I started paying attention and came across Oropher and Thranduil. That changed everything. I am going to read that chapter again, word-for-word. and find what it was that I missed. I think it may have a prideful mistake, but one that made for the worst of possible consequences.

I see your brought out "The Fall," one of my all time fave movies. I was thinking what is it that prevents me from watching his new series on AMC? I think I am not ready to see him in a suit just yet. Maybe after BOFA?! But, are the Thralls liking it in general? And I know he must still be amazingly gorgeous and incredibly talented even with the suit on,

My personal name for Thranduil: Thranduil of the White Stag, Lord of the Woodland Realm. My personal name for Thorin: Thorin, Son of Thrain, King Under the Mountain until the end of Days.

There is just something about Thranduil and the White Stag symbolism, and the FanPic of Thorin and White Stag .......

Please, call me Ve.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2014, 11:15pm

Post #111 of 210 (6679 views)
Shortcut
     Would sunflowers help? [In reply to]  

These Woodland Weekend goodies have quite raised my flagging mid-winter spirits.

I always forget that while I'm sweating my way through summer here in the northern hemisphere, that y'all in the southern hemisphere are shivering your way through winter. So, to help with your mid winter blahs as I call them, here's a pic of the sunflowers in my front yard.Smile

For relevance and more flowers, Thranduil wearing a flower crown! Doesn't he look pretty?Laugh

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2014, 12:37am

Post #112 of 210 (6669 views)
Shortcut
     Good article [In reply to]  

So I stumbled on this well-written piece about The Fall well worth a read, imo, and just wanted to share it.

That was a very well written article! She really knows her stuff! Since I rarely, if ever watch R rated movies, especially when they're rated that way mostly for violence (I just don't do the whole blood-spray thingCrazyCrazy) I doubt I'll ever watch The Fall in it's entirety, but I have seen a couple choice clips.

Those critics that she mentioned...Seriously? They didn't understand/see all the symbolism? I've read the synopsis and watched the trailer and one(1) clip from that movie, the scene where Alexandria finally gets Roy to make a turn-around, and I know exactly what the symbolism and connection between the real world story and the fanciful story that Roy was telling Alexandria was! Geez...what's the point of reviewing the movie if you don't pay attention, critic people?Unimpressed

ETA: I don't know, I've kind of grown up reading and watching symbolic stuff, and I was raised to engage my brain and interact media like movies and books instead of just mindlessly watching them and not paying attention to what the real message is, so maybe that sort of thing comes more easily to me. But still...Unsure

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Jul 10 2014, 12:44am)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2014, 1:40am

Post #113 of 210 (6674 views)
Shortcut
     Lincoln! [In reply to]  

Yes, LP was excellent in Lincoln! The movie on the whole was excellent, IMO. Of course, I'm a bit biased since they filmed quite a bit of it in Virginia, which is where I live.Cool Pretty much every scene where Lincoln is in Virginia was filmed on location, in the actual historical buildings and locations in Virginia and I've been to almost all of those locations many times. It make me so proud every time I watch it!Heart *wipes tear from eye*

Our state film representative really did a great job in getting Spielberg to film here since they were just about to go film the Virginia scenes in Texas, of all places. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Texas. It's a lovely state, but it doesn't look like Virginia and it just wouldn't have been the same for them to film there instead.

For relevance, some stills of LP in Lincoln.

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 10 2014, 1:56am

Post #114 of 210 (6671 views)
Shortcut
     I was a bad girl...but I'm not sorry re the "new WETA book" [In reply to]  

Well, OK, so I was going to order it, but then changed my mind and called Books-a-Million - and they had ONE copy that they held for me. Talk about instant gratification....and I also picked up the "Art" book as well. *Cough* and the Smaug book$$$.

But no regrets. "Cloaks and Daggers" being crammed with lovely dwarf AND elf costume details. I might put a thread on the Gaming and Collecting section. But re elves after seeing the closeup of Thranduil's blade, I didn't even sulk over Thranduil's sword being more valuable than Orcrist. Because of the piercing and hollowing out that was done on the hilt - so very difficult! I can't even imagine how they did that.

Anyway, being a "crafty Ringer" this book is a drool-fest for me. My one quibble, is that I wish they had put more set photos of the cast in, instead of re-using so many PR photos. At any rate, there was a big rainbow after a storm last night, so I took it as a sign that the Valar wanted me to have all these lovely, wonderful books!WinkHeart

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2014, 2:10am

Post #115 of 210 (6681 views)
Shortcut
     I don't have a head-thumping-desk smiley but... [In reply to]  

Maybe this will work instead . Wink

You might have already seen this but (a wittle bit) mwoar Ronan... and soundbit!

I..must...watch! In the morning when I'm not getting ready for bedtime. Smile

ETA: I have now *officially* caught up on all the posts! I was starting to wonder if I'd ever get the chance with the load of school assignments that got dropped on me this week, not to mention the ones from the past two weeks that I have to catch up on because I didn't have my textbook because the stinking book seller where I got it cheaper didn't deliver it and I had to go back and order it full-price through the school bookstore. *snort, growl*Mad But I digress...

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Jul 10 2014, 2:15am)

Kim
Valinor

Jul 10 2014, 4:46am

Post #116 of 210 (6659 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah, you're right [In reply to]  

I didn't really notice the brooch until this last viewing, and then it caught my eye after remembering your post. I have the same calendar, and have found that some of their selections are a little odd. This one is kind of a fun Find-It, that weird bunny one you spotted is really odd. Of course, I'm gathering a nice collection of Thorin pages, so that works for me. Tongue

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jul 10 2014, 7:59am

Post #117 of 210 (6652 views)
Shortcut
     Cloakaciousness & Daggeration [In reply to]  

I'm pleased to hear there are several pages devoted to Thranduil -- because a thread or so ago, someone popped in who'd got their book already, and said there wasn't that much about him. (but maybe 5 pages is "not that much". Really, wouldn't we love a whole book devoted to His Magnificence)

I will be receiving my book in late August - my dad is coming to visit from NZ, so he's bringing a copy for me, saving me the postage.

Ooh, I love the pattern of chain mail on the cover! It's been awesome comparing the beautiful designs of all these books. Heart

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Jul 10 2014, 8:01am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 10 2014, 1:22pm

Post #118 of 210 (6656 views)
Shortcut
     Addendum: even Nebula thinks Ronan is B.A.D. (& ima back home) [In reply to]  

On the scariest villain in the film: “It has to be Lee Pace, who plays Ronan the Accuser. He’s the scariest thing I’ve ever seen! Have you seen him? Ohhhh! Oh my God, it’s so intimidating. Also, he’s really tall, so for the first time [in a role] I’m allowed to wear heels, which is quite good. He’s just one of the creepiest, scariest villains I’ve ever seen! (shivers) Ohhhh. It’s horrible. And we’re just creepsters together!”

source

And apparently

"Lee Pace might be the nicest actor I've ever met. Which makes it stranger that he's playing the biggest dick ever in a Marvel movie." - James Gunn, director of Guardians of the Galaxy

For relevance

(Really needs desktop interface for TORn posting, else it's just paaaaainful! Off to unpack now)

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Laugh Thrall Wars! Teh partsies: Prologue, One (None save Avandel knows whither teh "One"), Two, Three

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2014, 2:54pm

Post #119 of 210 (6686 views)
Shortcut
     Maybe it had something to do with the "kinslaying"? [In reply to]  

See, I have not yet read the Sil so I still do not really know what the Noldor may have done to offend Oropher so much.

I haven't read Sil yet either, so I'm only basing this theory on the little bits of story I've picked up here and there. But there seems to have been some event in elven history called the "kinslaying" that the Noldor were involved in where they basically went and, well, slayed their kin. It was a big elf-on-elf kerfuffle were they just went and killed each other for some reason. I have no idea why. Then, it seems like the other groups of elves were pretty unhappy with the Noldor in general after that, so maybe that's why Oropher was offended by them?

Of course, several of us will be participating in the Sil read along starting on the 14th so I guess we'll find out for sure when we get to reading that part of the story.

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2014, 3:14pm

Post #120 of 210 (6686 views)
Shortcut
     Ok, I watched it [In reply to]  

The Extended Look at GotG with the soundbit of Ronan, I mean. Yeah, he sounds awesome! Very intimidating and villainous! Hopefully we'll get more soundbits in future advertisements.

I can't decide if I'm really interested in seeing GotG or not. Sometimes I like Marvel's stuff and sometimes I don't. It mostly depends on the family friendliness of the content as well as what the ultimate message of the story is. I'm certainly not going to see it in theaters because my funds are limited enough that I have to be sure I'm really invested in the idea of a movie (like the Hobbit movies which I know I'll see in theatersCool) before I spend that much time and money on it, but maybe when it comes out on DVD I'll check it out.

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2014, 3:47pm

Post #121 of 210 (6657 views)
Shortcut
     Instant gratification [In reply to]  

Well, OK, so I was going to order it, but then changed my mind and called Books-a-Million - and they had ONE copy that they held for me. Talk about instant gratification....and I also picked up the "Art" book as well. *Cough* and the Smaug book$$$.

I wish my gratification had been that instant. I actually pre-ordered the Cloaks and Daggers book through Amazon back in May and they had the release date set as July 8th, hence the reason I just got it yesterday.

I hear that had I ordered directly through Weta I would've had it in my hot little hands long before now. However, I ordered through Amazon because I had gotten a $20 Amazon gift card for my birthday, and ended up only paying $12.89 plus $3 shipping as opposed to the full $40 plus shipping that I would have paid direct through Weta. Sooo, I feel like the savings were worth the delayed gratification.Smile I am patient. I can wait!Angelic

But no regrets. "Cloaks and Daggers" being crammed with lovely dwarf AND elf costume details. I might put a thread on the Gaming and Collecting section. But re elves after seeing the closeup of Thranduil's blade, I didn't even sulk over Thranduil's sword being more valuable than Orcrist. Because of the piercing and hollowing out that was done on the hilt - so very difficult! I can't even imagine how they did that.

Anyway, being a "crafty Ringer" this book is a drool-fest for me.

The detail is breathtaking, isn't it? Of course I went straight to the pages about Thranduil when I got it and, wow! *drool, drool* I had heard that they incorporated amber elements into much of Thranduil's realm in order to reflect how it's sort of frozen in time, but I didn't realize quite how much. Amber is everywhere! It's even in the handle of Thranduil's staff, which is something you really can't see when he's holding it in the movie, or production photos. There are also amber oil lamps, and some of the tables have veins of amber running through the wood! Wow!Heart

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 10 2014, 3:58pm

Post #122 of 210 (6670 views)
Shortcut
     Maybe the "Not enough of" goes back to my own wanting more comment? [In reply to]  

Hmmm - on the one hand IMO both the "Art" book and "Cloaks and Daggers" book are just crammed with fascinating details and truly wonderful art - just the light-washed concept paintings in the Art book had me drooling last night.

And there are interesting tidbits throughout, like the one where the costume designer Anne Maskrey talks about the length of Lee Pace's neck and square shoulders. That made me smile, because from this amazing designer's perspective, it's not about how "hawt" he is - it's that he makes a terrific "clothes hanger" so she was able to go to town with some really striking designs - as has been said in this TA thread, things that not many could wear successfully.Heart

As usual with these books, the amount of work that we never see, or is presented so fast, is staggering. For sure it's made me appreciate the concepts for the Mirkwood elves 1000 times more. I thought the phrase "ninja elves" was snark - and it is - but learned that's actually a concept - they are "shadow hunters", edgy, and if this wasn't a PJ movie could have been presented as far worse on screen than what we see, potentially. And the concepts for the elf weapons are fascinating, in that the design also affects the way they fight. (Oh gawds, now I am beginning to think about saving pennies to get a replica Thranduil bladeTongue)

Do these books have huge sections devoted to the characters, with cast photos etc.? No, not like the Visual Guides and PR pieces. They never do, except I guess the dwarf chapters, sort of, from the AUJ books.
Perhaps a cast-loaded, crammed with backstory, photo-filled volume is for a future book, when all the movies are out? Or maybe there are WB restrictions on what WETA can put in these books (as the films belong to WB?), or maybe these books are to (rightfully) highlight all the unsung heroes of WETA?

I wonder if I am being silly, tho - we do have the films themselves, Appendices, blogs - and the Internet, if I want to look at Thorin and Thranduil pictures.HeartHeartHeart

PS. I waited a long time too Kerewyn! Plus, like Thorin of course, I was too headstrong, and if I had waited I could have paid less.Unimpressed But oh, no, I had to have them, right now. I guess you can say I supported the local bookstore.Cool

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 10 2014, 4:15pm

Post #123 of 210 (6700 views)
Shortcut
     Don't you love the details *sighs with pleasure* [In reply to]  

Congrats on getting such a great deal - really! Because BAM was more than Amazon! But like my hero, I had to be bullheaded about it. I had had to shove the "Cloaks and Daggers" book to the back of my mind for months, because I wanted it so badly, and I didn't want to think about it. So when the time came, it was like the eleven gate in the river flinging open with dwarves in barrels.....Tongue

Definitely the use of amber, which I love and wear, fascinated me - and so appropriate since it's "tree sap" originally anyway. And another thing that fascinated me - and it would re being a "crafty Ringer" is the level of care of EVERY SINGLE FABRIC CHOICE and on top of that, they essentially make new fabrics by dying, felting, pressing fabrics together, layering, metallic threads, leatherwork, burn-out work - just plain jaw-dropping IMO. Anne Maskrey is definitely one of my top 25 female heroes!HeartHeartHeart

Just the description for Thranduil's robes and jewels, sword and crown, had me practically wriggling on the couch with joy, like a happy puppyTongue. And WHY those choices were made. I swear, I never want to hear any complaints about these movies again *grins* knowing the mount of work and care that has gone into them.TongueCoolWink

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 10 2014, 4:24pm

Post #124 of 210 (6651 views)
Shortcut
     Bunnies [In reply to]  

Think the bunny is embroidery from some cloth used in connection with Radagast - re the WETA books talking about embroidering rabbits, butterflies, etc.

This is a guess, but it looks like some close-ups from the book "Cloaks and Daggers"?

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 11 2014, 1:49am

Post #125 of 210 (6619 views)
Shortcut
     *sniggles* psycho ninja is aptly cast... [In reply to]  

... especially when compared with the ungrateful Dwarf's rude conduct towards Thranduil Tongue

Re Legolas - I guess blond for blond makes for poetic symmetry? Smile but I see the wrong... not going there!

And I'll just have to wait until I see Thranduil make adjustments after hearing that Healing Question in tBotFA before I can see him as a Goody Two Shoes Cap.

Well, I don't know that we need to wait for that. The Cap was out of time... and Thranduil is out of time with his isolationism so there's the Rip Van Winkle part of their respective arc, and Cap steps up to it like a bawss knocking out frenemies and foes with no quarters given, while we know Thranduil will take the Battle like TEH bawss, so there's the battle parallels too? Plus they're both blondSmile

I am trying really hard to see Smaug as a Post Traumatic Stress Disorder counselor...

They do both got wings Sly

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's somewhere, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the potato-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jul 11 2014, 1:50am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.