Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you believe that everyone has a dominant sense? If so, what's yours?
Poll: Do you believe that everyone has a dominant sense? If so, what's yours?
Yes
No
I don't know
Vision
Hearing
Taste
Smell
Tactile
View Results (58 votes)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 8 2014, 1:22pm

Post #1 of 19 (4284 views)
Shortcut
Do you believe that everyone has a dominant sense? If so, what's yours? Can't Post

This poll assumes that all your senses are intact, of course.

I think most people would say their sense of sight is dominant, including me. My adolescent daughter, though, seems to have a heightened sense of touch, a sensitivity that influences her experience of things more than I've ever observed in someone else. This strikes me as uncommon but then I don't know. Any other ultra "feelies" out there?

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jul 8 2014, 4:39pm

Post #2 of 19 (4129 views)
Shortcut
Sense of... [In reply to] Can't Post

Humor.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 8 2014, 6:58pm

Post #3 of 19 (4118 views)
Shortcut
Umami [In reply to] Can't Post

So taste.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 8 2014, 7:20pm

Post #4 of 19 (4108 views)
Shortcut
I went with vision [In reply to] Can't Post

because a beautiful landscape can brighten my mood for the entire day, but I'm also a very tactile person.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 8 2014, 8:12pm

Post #5 of 19 (4102 views)
Shortcut
Vision [In reply to] Can't Post

Though there's a bit of Nazgūl in me as well, if you know what I mean. Tongue

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 8 2014, 11:35pm

Post #6 of 19 (4063 views)
Shortcut
Vision for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

During free association tests when the test-giver says a word, I almost always get a picture in my head instantly, then have to struggle to find a word.
And I still have 20/15 vision. Cool But last year I had to buy reading glasses at the drug store so I can make out fine print. Frown

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2014, 2:03am

Post #7 of 19 (4059 views)
Shortcut
I guess I might count... [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted 'vision' and 'tactile'.

Vision because that is my primary method for learning/memorising anything, and I react to visual stimulus strongly. I also love reading, so that was a factor.

I also voted 'tactile' because I can take some things with and just 'feel' them and lose myself in the texture. I remember as a child, just walking down our hall running my hands over the wall, taking in the texture. I also loved clay and anything related to forming shapes. I am also a very hands-on person and love handicrafts and building things.

So I guess I'm an odd mix!CrazyLaugh Really, I think a lot of it is just taking the time to notice the details that are often overlooked, and appreciating the experiences you discover.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 9 2014, 4:09am

Post #8 of 19 (4054 views)
Shortcut
I voted vision becuase I am visual oriented [In reply to] Can't Post

If I see it I can remember it even long after. Which is why I choose not to watch graphic movies, it lingers in my mind's eye longer than some. But I am also very sensitive to smell and taste which is due to also having a delicate stomach. Lets just say ships and me don't go together.Wink

Annael
Immortal

Jul 9 2014, 4:31am

Post #9 of 19 (4059 views)
Shortcut
hearing [In reply to] Can't Post

my hearing has always been very acute. Helps a lot with the music, but I tend to wake up because I hear noises that don't bother anyone else. My husband used to say I was like the Princess and the Pea, except about the tiniest noises.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2014, 12:53am

Post #10 of 19 (4043 views)
Shortcut
I went with hearing [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if everyone has a dominant sense though I'm sure some do. In my case, I don't know if hearing is actually, verifiably dominant, but I feel like I rely on it the most. If I were to lose my sight I'm sure that would make me feel much more vulnerable, but without hearing I'd feel more cut off from the world

Aside from my precious puppies, music is the one thing that is sure to lift my spirits when nothing else can. I have no musical ability, very little knowledge of musical theory, but music is immensely important to me and my well being.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 12 2014, 4:27pm

Post #11 of 19 (4009 views)
Shortcut
that's how I feel [In reply to] Can't Post

If I were to lose my sight I'm sure that would make me feel much more vulnerable, but without hearing I'd feel more cut off from the world

If I couldn't hear people speak, or sing - if I couldn't hear birdsong or a waterfall - I would feel far more cut off than not being able to see them.

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 12 2014, 4:50pm

Post #12 of 19 (4015 views)
Shortcut
<sniff> Don't sign me up for that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or at least expect resistance if you try.

I picked smell. My sight is kind of bad (have needed glasses since second grade) and my hearing is a little bit weakened (although I think I have a good but untrained ear for music). I am definitely not tactile in nature.

I think that smell may play into the nebulous and yet not fully understood "intuition", which I am strong in. I have successfully identified locations where specific individuals were once located by smell. I can sometimes tell what a person has eaten or if they are hungry by smell. Sometimes I can smell things that others can't detect. When cooking, I can collect spices together and smell them together to predict how they would taste - I have whipped up some recipes that have gotten compliments from others this way (although I am not 100% with this - sometimes it can be a bit unpredictable how things will change during the process of cooking).

sherlock
Gondor

Jul 12 2014, 5:32pm

Post #13 of 19 (4005 views)
Shortcut
I agree totally with your second paragraph. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't vote because I couldn't decide on vision or hearing. I used to have a good sense of smell but it's diminished over the years. Some days are better than others. Of course, it affects my taste, too.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2014, 3:26am

Post #14 of 19 (3999 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of senses... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's an interesting article from Nova Science about the skin's ability to "smell" and the way that helps in healing. The senses are much more complicated than they seem Smile

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/skin-can-smell/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=pbsofficial&utm_campaign=nova_next

imin
Valinor

Jul 13 2014, 10:14am

Post #15 of 19 (3992 views)
Shortcut
Vision [In reply to] Can't Post

I would feel totally cut off from the world without sight. Also there are things which can more easily help loss of hearing such as hearing aids or cochlear implants, they are getting there with improving vision but not to the same extent.

For me i think it would be easier to communicate effectively with no sight than no hearing.

If i had to lose any it would be sense of smell, probably help in my profession, lol.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 13 2014, 3:13pm

Post #16 of 19 (3996 views)
Shortcut
fascinating [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been reading research that shows that people's immune systems get a boost when they go for a walk in the woods. I know for me part of that is the smell - especially the smell of sun-heated pine or fir needles. Wonder what's in them?

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 13 2014, 4:29pm

Post #17 of 19 (3998 views)
Shortcut
It may be fungi Annael [In reply to] Can't Post

Certain soil fungi actually act to raise active serotonin levels in humans. Makes you think about those early foragers and gardeners and how it may have created positive associations with working with soil! May be that sort of thing relating to immune function as well, as you wrote about walking in a wood.

I swear by dirt therapy myself. Cool

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 21 2014, 1:38am

Post #18 of 19 (4014 views)
Shortcut
My sense of humour ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

And then I'd say hearing; but it's more processing what I hear. If there are a lot of voices and/or noise competing, I go into sensory input overload very quickly. Have you ever tried to talk with someone in a stair well 3 floors away while others are walking through and talking? That's what it's like ;) I can't sort our what I'm trying to hear through the noise. I get very stressed when it's real noisy.

theodwyn

Aug 2 2014, 12:32am

Post #19 of 19 (3936 views)
Shortcut
Vision.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think most people probably don't have a noticeably dominate sense, but I'm sure there are some who do.. I voted that if I had a dominate sense it'd probably be vision.. I'm light sensitive, I don't like to be anywhere that's too bright.. I always keep my room darker than most people would find comfortable.. but I will say that I get sensory overload very easily.. if there's too much going on (a bombardment of light, sound, smell) I get very anxious and my head pounds..

This is going to sound bizarre, but I also have a little bit of extra sensory perception.. there have been a few times when I sensed something to be wrong with a family member and have later found out that at the time I sensed something was wrong was the same time they had been injured.. or i'll sense a certain outcome for a situation and it happens.. I don't wanna say I "predicted" it, because I don't know if that's really what it was..

Hehe, that probably makes me sound crazy.. oh well..

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.