The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
More of Uncle Baggins' fairy photos

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 8 2014, 5:53pm

Post #1 of 12 (584 views)
Shortcut
More of Uncle Baggins' fairy photos Can't Post

I've posted several of these in the past. He bought some new figurines recently, (the artist is Mary Cecily Barker), and we went up to the high country and he took photos. Note that one of the fairies found a snowbank. She looks cold, but I believe they don't actually feel the cold.

Ute Trail

Mills Lake

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jul 8 2014, 5:54pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 8 2014, 10:57pm

Post #2 of 12 (515 views)
Shortcut
Umm (whispers) There's A Fairy On Your Hat! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

And the one just to the right (Mills) looks like they're resting after just having played the Keyboard of the Winds (or is that something else in the background?).

Tell Uncle Baggins he is an artist. And the fairies should be exceptionally grateful for those fabulous portraits.SmileSmileSmile

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 9 2014, 6:18am

Post #3 of 12 (516 views)
Shortcut
I love these [In reply to] Can't Post

They make me think of my Mum. She loved the flower fairies. x

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 9 2014, 6:05pm

Post #4 of 12 (491 views)
Shortcut
Uh oh ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that is definitely the Keyboard of the Winds <3

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 9 2014, 6:05pm

Post #5 of 12 (490 views)
Shortcut
My mom did too <3 // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 9 2014, 8:16pm

Post #6 of 12 (490 views)
Shortcut
I've been thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

The flower fairies experience with my mother was possibly the first time I considered her as someone who was once a child herself. I think I was about 11, and I can't remember how we got onto the topic, but she told me about how much she loved the flower fairies when she was little. Not long afterwards when I was in a bookshop I saw a small flower fairies book, and I bought it for her. Her face lit up when she opened the present.
It was a slightly strange but lovely experience for me as a child to see her in this way. I had seen photos of her as a child but never really made the connection to her being a child, if that makes sense.

Thank you for the lovely photos. It's little things like that that are a comforting connection to my Mum.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jul 10 2014, 12:12am

Post #7 of 12 (489 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous as always, Aunt Dora. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm having a really hard time deciding whether to go to Rocky Mountain NP next year during flower season (which I take to be now) or in September right before the shuttle shuts down for the year to catch the Elk rut. These pictures are sure good arguments for "Team Flower"!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 10 2014, 12:16am

Post #8 of 12 (487 views)
Shortcut
September's gorgeous too. [In reply to] Can't Post

The aspens start to turn gold (think Lothlorien), and some of the shrubs turn dark red. But you do take a chance that Trail Ridge might be closed, though that *could* happen any time of the year. But July is really wonderful for flowers.

You never know about weather in any season. The two catastrophic floods we had in my lifetime were in July in 1976 and September in 2013. And wildfires can break out any time.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jul 10 2014, 12:19am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 10 2014, 12:26am

Post #9 of 12 (481 views)
Shortcut
What a nice memory. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember specifically the day when I first saw my mom as a person in her own right, and not just a mom. I was fourteen, and we were in Perce, Quebec on vacation. We stayed up all night walking on the beach in the moonlight, talking. It became the first of many times she and I stayed up late together. <3

I'm glad Uncle Baggins' photos are comforting to you. Big hugs!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 10 2014, 3:21am

Post #10 of 12 (479 views)
Shortcut
The fairies are enjoying the summer flowers! [In reply to] Can't Post

And dipping their toes in sun-warmed waters. Smile

I was cleaning shelves in my school today, and came across two books we have of Mary Barker fairies - starting to fall apart, they're well-loved!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 10 2014, 12:50pm

Post #11 of 12 (474 views)
Shortcut
Aw :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently Barker's sister was a kindergarten teacher, so the students were models for the fairies.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 10 2014, 9:44pm

Post #12 of 12 (467 views)
Shortcut
Love these! [In reply to] Can't Post

Anne Shirley would approve, too. You've got a treasure there, in Uncle Baggins!

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.