Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
How does an actor earn knighthood from the Queen?

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 8 2014, 1:04pm

Post #1 of 15 (699 views)
Shortcut
How does an actor earn knighthood from the Queen? Can't Post

My impression has been that qualification for candidacy is most reliant upon contributions to the stage. Yet Sean Connery was knighted and as far as I know, never set foot on the boards. Though Colin Firth and DDL have not yet received the title of "Sir" which I personally feel is way overdue.

I got to wondering because a few of our Hobbit actors are enjoying great acclaim on stage this summer (BC in the fall, more than likely) and I'm hopeful they will continue this success by being offered more opportunities for other plays. I realize I'm leaping pretty far forward here, but I would love it if we saw them achieve enough success to earn the ultimate prestigious title.

And, forgive me for letting the fangirl in me squee, but doesn't "Sir Richard Armitage" just sound right? Wink

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Jul 8 2014, 2:52pm

Post #2 of 15 (640 views)
Shortcut
He or She [In reply to] Can't Post

has to make a donation to the political party in power.

Regards,

TP.

imin
Valinor

Jul 8 2014, 6:30pm

Post #3 of 15 (622 views)
Shortcut
Everyone gets a knighthood/damehood nowadays. [In reply to] Can't Post

Too many in my opinion are getting them, watering down their value.

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 8 2014, 8:21pm

Post #4 of 15 (595 views)
Shortcut
And politicians [In reply to] Can't Post

like to give them to themselves and to each other.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 8 2014, 8:28pm

Post #5 of 15 (599 views)
Shortcut
Daniel Day Lewis [In reply to] Can't Post

was knighted this year.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 8 2014, 8:45pm

Post #6 of 15 (615 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

It goes to people who've made outstanding and/or lifelong contributions to the field. That's a bit of improvement over the old days, where you just had to kill a lot of the monarch's enemies. But not quite as cool as the even older days when you were knighted for killing dragons and rescuing maidens. (Though if you mixed the two up you were usually disqualified.)

"We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
-Robert Wilensky

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 9 2014, 2:18pm

Post #7 of 15 (561 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

I love your signature

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 9 2014, 5:30pm

Post #8 of 15 (554 views)
Shortcut
That's not true of people like actors... [In reply to] Can't Post

Political parties do put their supporters forward. Not just the party in power; the other main parties have an opportunity as well.

But actors, sport stars and the like don't have to be political and most aren't. They just have to do very well in their field - usually over a whole career to be worth a knighthood. A shorter-term achievement - Olympic medals, for example - can qualify someone for one of the lesser honours - CBE, OBE and the like.

And the names of non-famous people who do a lot for charity or for others can also be put forward and honours go to them too.

It's not really helpful to come out with statements like that, you know, when they ain't true!

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Jul 9 2014, 6:18pm

Post #9 of 15 (546 views)
Shortcut
Sorry about that [In reply to] Can't Post

I will definitely try to up the helpful quotient in my posts in the future. I wouldn't want people to think I was being facetious.

TP.

(This post was edited by Tampa Phil on Jul 9 2014, 6:19pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2014, 7:23pm

Post #10 of 15 (529 views)
Shortcut
Same with Hollywood walk of fame stars [In reply to] Can't Post

too many people now get stars on the Hollywood walk of fame. As long as the money is put up (barring something really bad) you get a star on there. pretty much.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jul 10 2014, 12:23pm

Post #11 of 15 (526 views)
Shortcut
I think that people are getting a little cynical here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Apart from making a contribution to stage and screen, an actor must be involved in charity work which is why we now have a Dame Angelina Jolie. And many, many very ordinary people - postal workers, street cleaners, teachers etc etc - are awarded the lesser honours such as the MBE (Member of the British Empire - sounds so quaint, LOL) which is awarded by the Queen to those who have worked for the community. Anyone can nominate anyone.

https://www.gov.uk/...f-honours-and-awards

Sorry, but I think that RA is a long way yet from a knighthood, LOL.

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 12 2014, 8:58am

Post #12 of 15 (491 views)
Shortcut
But she's American!? [In reply to] Can't Post

How can she receive a British title (of sorts) if she's not a British citizen? Sorry, I suppose I'm just an ignorant foreigner....

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 12 2014, 9:00am

Post #13 of 15 (487 views)
Shortcut
It sounds lovely... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I daresay it's much too soon for that.

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

imin
Valinor

Jul 12 2014, 12:18pm

Post #14 of 15 (495 views)
Shortcut
Honorary title? [In reply to] Can't Post

They give out so many now it doesn't really matter.

I agree to give them to people who make a real difference on matters that have some meaning but don't see the point of giving them to any sports person who is half decent.

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 12 2014, 4:21pm

Post #15 of 15 (475 views)
Shortcut
*snert* [In reply to] Can't Post

and I mean that sincerely.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.