"I found something in the Goblin tunnels...my courage"
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

emre43
Rohan

Jul 7 2014, 8:50am

Post #1 of 38 (2296 views)
Shortcut
"I found something in the Goblin tunnels...my courage" Can't Post

This has just dawned on me. It might be really obvious and I have been slow on the uptake and am late to the party. But when Bilbo says to Gandalf in DoS that he found his courage in the Goblin tunnels, he is directly referencing Gandalf's comment in AUJ that 'True courage is not about knowing when to take a life, but when to spare one'. Sparing Gollum's life in the tunnels gave Bilbo the courage that Gandalf prophesised it would.

I had always thought of Bilbo's comment as simply a cover up - but there is actually some truth in it.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 7 2014, 9:34am

Post #2 of 38 (1482 views)
Shortcut
Although... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it is quite obvious I actually also did not realize this until I rewatched the AUJ EE some weeks ago.

It is indeed much more than just a lie or cover-up. It is also acted as more than that which always stood out to me but I couldn't connect it to AUJ.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 7 2014, 9:34am

Post #3 of 38 (1427 views)
Shortcut
Never thought of it that way myself [In reply to] Can't Post

You may be onto something.

adt100
Rohan

Jul 7 2014, 9:59am

Post #4 of 38 (1481 views)
Shortcut
Moments like this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Perfectly sums up how subtle, nuanced and moving some of scenes in the LOTR/Hobbit films can be. They don't come along often, but when they do, perfectly capture the spirit and of the character and of Tolkien's world in my opinion. For all the extraneous PJ 'bomabast' and over the top Hollywood blockbuster fare, PJ still gives us genuine moments of heart to cherish.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 7 2014, 12:05pm

Post #5 of 38 (1296 views)
Shortcut
I caught that reference immediately // [In reply to] Can't Post

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 7 2014, 1:07pm

Post #6 of 38 (1338 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I would agree with this – and wish there were more moments like this, especially because I feel PJ is perfectly capable of producing very good, quite subtle films indeed. He would have been more than able to make DoS much more in line with Tolkien. It's just that that is not where his heart lies, I feel, at least not for the present…

In Reply To
Perfectly sums up how subtle, nuanced and moving some of scenes in the LOTR/Hobbit films can be. They don't come along often, but when they do, perfectly capture the spirit and of the character and of Tolkien's world in my opinion. For all the extraneous PJ 'bomabast' and over the top Hollywood blockbuster fare, PJ still gives us genuine moments of heart to cherish.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jul 7 2014, 1:43pm

Post #7 of 38 (1358 views)
Shortcut
I disagree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since we are talking about a scene that exists in DOS we can safely assume that his heart still lies there,you are maybe unable to see that for your own reasons(we have memorised them for sure),i accept it,but that HEART is definitely there.There is no such thing as selective placement of heart in that particular caseWink

It is just like hearing these ridiculous accusations for Jackson: "When he is in line with Tolkien or follows Tolkien closely he is a charismatic and gifted director,but when he deviates from Tolkien,out of a sudden,he forgets how to be a great gifted director and is automatically transformed into a talentless and bad one which is absurd and untrue imo.

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

"Tolkien Nazis is the disgusting scourge of the internet"

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jul 7 2014, 1:43pm

Post #8 of 38 (1238 views)
Shortcut
Me too K.O [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Jul 7 2014, 1:44pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 7 2014, 2:22pm

Post #9 of 38 (1274 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I see and feel plenty of Tolkien in DOS. I understand others may feel differently but that is something I do not agree with. I heard from a little birdie that the EE if DOS should help those that feel different from us as this came from someone who is a bit of a purist. So we shall see.

As far as the line in that sequence I felt it was talking about that as well but also covering up him about to tell Gandalf he found a ring.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jul 7 2014, 2:45pm

Post #10 of 38 (1225 views)
Shortcut
Nice to hear Elessar. [In reply to] Can't Post

If the EE includes the majority or all the rumoured scenes,i reckon it is going to be incredibleSmile

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 7 2014, 2:49pm

Post #11 of 38 (1256 views)
Shortcut
Please think before you write [In reply to] Can't Post

When making assertions that what other people are saying are 'ridiculous accusations', kindly state that this is JUST YOUR OPINION. Plenty of people disagree with YOUR OPINION – as no doubt they do with mine. This is an open forum and posters are welcome to state their opinion, both pro and con. If you don't like what someone is saying, I suggest you ignore it, instead of responding with a standard knee-jerk reaction.

Also, how can you say that 'that HEART is definitely there' with regard to PJ? You don't know the man, and what one reads in all the publicity for films is rarely what is actually the case.

Note that I do not intend to engage with you further, since I find your posts rude and unpleasant.

In Reply To
Since we are talking about a scene that exists in DOS we can safely assume that his heart still lies there,you are maybe unable to see that for your own reasons(we have memorised them for sure),i accept it,but that HEART is definitely there.There is no such thing as selective placement of heart in that particular caseWink

It is just like hearing these ridiculous accusations for Jackson: "When he is in line with Tolkien or follows Tolkien closely he is a charismatic and gifted director,but when he deviates from Tolkien,out of a sudden,he forgets how to be a great gifted director and is automatically transformed into a talentless and bad one which is absurd and untrue imo.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jul 7 2014, 2:52pm)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jul 7 2014, 3:01pm

Post #12 of 38 (1220 views)
Shortcut
You should read more carefully then [In reply to] Can't Post

as i wrote "IMO" at the end of my sentence.
I choose not to comment on the rest of what you wrote but i am planning to do so if you continue to reply just like the way you did before.Wink

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 7 2014, 4:09pm

Post #13 of 38 (1168 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

It pleased me to read that and I quite enjoyed DOS. It had plenty of Tolkien and and had some other stuff as well but the EE bringing more Tolkien is fantastic. It should be if how he described what it brings. He didn't mention specifics because of an NDA but based ion the rumors we know I'm feeling quite happy.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 7 2014, 4:42pm

Post #14 of 38 (1167 views)
Shortcut
IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When making assertions that what other people are saying are 'ridiculous accusations', kindly state that this is JUST YOUR OPINION. Plenty of people disagree with YOUR OPINION – as no doubt they do with mine. This is an open forum and posters are welcome to state their opinion, both pro and con. If you don't like what someone is saying, I suggest you ignore it, instead of responding with a standard knee-jerk reaction.

Also, how can you say that 'that HEART is definitely there' with regard to PJ? You don't know the man, and what one reads in all the publicity for films is rarely what is actually the case.

Note that I do not intend to engage with you further, since I find your posts rude and unpleasant.

In Reply To

NecromancerRising's response was fair and pleasant (suprisingly so I thought). These are forums for sharing opininions, the 'Reply to this post' button is there for a reason, this is not a place for reading things and ignoring them!

"Also, how can you say that 'that HEART is definitely there' with regard to PJ?"

Does the same not apply to you saying you don't think his heart is there?

IMO I think "Please think before you write by Glorfindela" is tad condescending.

Just a friendly reply.

(This post was edited by SafeUnderHill on Jul 7 2014, 4:42pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 7 2014, 5:00pm

Post #15 of 38 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Oh, lor… [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't agree, for the reasons mentioned. I personally found the response offensive (the use of such words as 'ridiculous accusations'; the statement that 'we have memorised them [i.e. my criticisms] for sure'), as are most of that individual's responses to my posts that criticise DoS.

I always state that my point of view is MY OPINION, which others may of course disagree with, for instance by inserting 'I think', 'in my view' and so on into my posts. I said 'I feel" that adhering to Tolkien is not where PJ's heart lies, at least not for the present (in other words, I clearly stated that this was my opinion, which you may or may not agree with). The other poster's statement was posed as a definite fact, i.e. 'the heart is definitely there' – its a kind of knee-jerk reaction.

In Reply To
NecromancerRising's response was fair and pleasant (suprisingly so I thought).

"Also, how can you say that 'that HEART is definitely there' with regard to PJ?" Does the same not apply to you saying you don't think his heart is there?

Just a friendly reply.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jul 7 2014, 5:00pm)

tsmith675
Gondor

Jul 7 2014, 5:15pm

Post #16 of 38 (1111 views)
Shortcut
Well you certainly are a Keen Observer. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Our destiny lies above us.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 7 2014, 5:27pm

Post #17 of 38 (1108 views)
Shortcut
I gotta live up to my TORn forums username [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Jul 7 2014, 5:29pm)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 7 2014, 5:47pm

Post #18 of 38 (1128 views)
Shortcut
What I had suspected all along [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I heard from a little birdie that the EE if DOS should help those that feel different from us as this came from someone who is a bit of a purist.

We continue to slowly inch ever closer towards official confirmation of the supplemental PJ-Tolkien fantasticality that lies therein.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 7 2014, 6:00pm

Post #19 of 38 (1098 views)
Shortcut
I as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked DOS and as I've said multiple times before there is plenty of Tolkien but I had a feeling the EE would do just what it sounds like.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2014, 6:16pm

Post #20 of 38 (1085 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that's a nice little detail, [In reply to] Can't Post

using the truth (he did actually find courage down there) to conceal the ring from Gandalf. Though i always thought that the "true courage is not about knowing when to take a life, but when to spare one" foreshadowing was a bit too on the nose, but a nice moment nonetheless.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 7 2014, 10:28pm

Post #21 of 38 (1016 views)
Shortcut
Me too.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just re-watching DoS at the moment. I love it. So much of the added material echoes Tolkien in ways I had never expected, and visually it's amazing. Tonight's episode include the confrontation between Thorin and Bard on the steps of the Town Hall, which is such a strong, beautiful scene. Really looking forward to the EE because I want more, and previous EEs include some of my favourite scenes.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jul 7 2014, 10:38pm

Post #22 of 38 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Sign me up too [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved DOS.There are so many Tolkiensque moments in this movie as well as many exquisite additions by Jackson and Co that make all the missteps that exist, pale in comparison with them.I sincerely hope the EE will do justice to the fans of this movie, but moreso to the folks who remain aloof and distant to the TE.

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Jul 7 2014, 10:39pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 7 2014, 11:29pm

Post #23 of 38 (998 views)
Shortcut
EE [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with ya on the EE. They always seem to add so much great material that feels like Tolkien. Of course they do add some goofy material, which I am able to just move past when surrounded by so many awesome moments.

I love that scene as well. I just bought the Line of Durin print from Weta. It obviously reminds me of that sequence, which is one of the reason I love the trailer the speech is tied to. If all that makes sense. Lol

I'm with ya. I want more as well. It's like getting a cherry on top of something that already is so good.

I'm saving my next viewing for the plane ride home from SDCC. :)

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 7 2014, 11:31pm

Post #24 of 38 (982 views)
Shortcut
Signed up [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree. That's the thing for me with all the films so far. None if them are perfect but the stuff I enjoy outweighs what I don't so I just move on past quickly. This friend of mine is quite tough to please and if he feels it brings the film more in line with Tolkien I think we will be very happy.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jul 8 2014, 12:51pm

Post #25 of 38 (910 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for sharing this insight! [In reply to] Can't Post

It may have been obvious to some, but I for one had totally missed it!!! It does add a lot to the scene and Bilbo's answer - even if it is still a cover-up.

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.