BOFA and revisiting the topic of "Hot Dwarf Armor"
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 6 2014, 9:40pm

Post #26 of 39 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Lovely post [In reply to] Can't Post

And I believe that you'll find yourself watching TBOTFA more often than you think.

Why is that?

Well, because it's going to be glorious.

And besides, cowards like me will eventually just watch what they wanna watch, thanks to the wonders of technology, which happily can help one avoid either tears while watching any given production, or just outright cringing/boredom/irritation, depending on the scene in question. Or, alternatively, wear out certain sections of a DVD/BR by replaying, forcing one to re-purchase, thereby contributing to the economy.Wink

Or just go watch something like, say, Superman, where characters who have passed onto the great Havens promptly return from the Netherworld no worse for wear. I understand even Arnold is making an appearance in the next Terminator? Sort of like a certain bunny that just keeps going and going....Evil

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 6 2014, 9:59pm

Post #27 of 39 (1081 views)
Shortcut
I don't understand [In reply to] Can't Post

But I've grown tired of "comfortable theatrics" and restricted expression (sounds odd, I know Crazy).

??? I probably can't understand what you see, or don't see, because IMO performances have been stellar. And times where a less skilled director/actor might have told an actor to really *cough* er, "wallow in it" - say when Thorin nearly breaks down at the hidden door but then goes to Balin and says "what did we miss - Balin" - I'm cheering that on. For one thing, it's more in IMO dwarf/majestic character, to not have just lost it, even tho IMO Thorin would have been fully justified at that point.

It's not that I hate expression of deep emotions on a passionate level, I just get uneasy as I'm not sure what you are saying, and I am uncomfortable with the desire (evidently) from some (not you, but re some posts on You Tube and elsewhere) where it seems some folks wanna see agonizing grief etc. just because, and to me are practically salivating at the thought. And I always wonder, why? Because of the tragic nature of the scene, or because you want to cobble up some horribly edited vid with a cheesy song - eeuwww.Unsure

Hope this doesn't sound hostile as not meant to be at all. I'm just still shell-shocked by stuff I've tripped over on You-Tube, and some of the comments *lifts eyebrows*.ShockedShockedShocked
And I am not sure what you mean???? Maybe I can't as films are art, and everyone sees something different.....Smile

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 6 2014, 10:05pm

Post #28 of 39 (1082 views)
Shortcut
OMG - Nice finds - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Which book did you find Fili's weapons inHeartHeartHeart? I have 2 of the WETA books, but I'm not remembering Fili's weapons at all except the drawings of his knives!!!!

So Fili (at least until the elves came along) really did have a war-hammer. Maybe this will get revisited, somehow, in BOFA? (I can never count too much on WB's PR stuff, as they never seem to pay attention to the timelines re costumes and weapons at all!Mad)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 6 2014, 10:08pm

Post #29 of 39 (1077 views)
Shortcut
Works for me [In reply to] Can't Post

that cos of the lack of backhistory and information, a film on Legolas' granddaddy would rip the very fabric of the tattered fandom further than the result of having him in TH right? Good luck to whoever writes/directs/acts in it.

Of course, said movie needs have ThranduilHeart as well, and that will result in spontaneous combustion in certain quarters to rival the Big Bang. Tongue

I say we start a petition RIGHT NOWEvil

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 7 2014, 3:43am

Post #30 of 39 (1071 views)
Shortcut
Lead the charge, o fearless leader! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your friends are with you

And the herd will follow anon

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars! Teh partsies: Prologue, One (None save Avandel knows whither teh "One"), Two, Three

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 7 2014, 4:21pm

Post #31 of 39 (1074 views)
Shortcut
What I mean is. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Heck, I'm not sure, either.Crazy

I'm trying to think of an analogy.
Though, it might be better to just keep it plain and simple.

Doubtless, the acting is undeniably first-rate.
So far, pretty much everything has been fairly subtle and reserved (as it should be).
I'm glad that the director and the actors haven't overplayed any particular scene.

And, obviously, I'm not advocating for hammy displays of deep emotion or a cringe-worthy depiction of agonizing grief. Even if these guys attempted to overact, it probably wouldn't seem like overacting because they're that good. Having said all that, I've had a strong yearning to see certain cast members sail their characters into unchartered waters and perform on a passionate level.

I feel like AUJ and DOS have served as a warm-up of sorts. Like they've been going easy on us as far as character expressiveness goes. Calmly waiting for PJ to blow his whistle and get the actual game started so that they can show us the full range of their skill set. And that's exactly what I'm ready for. It's time for these gentleman to vehemently demonstrate their capabilities. It's time to let it all hang out. And most important, it's time for us to witness the raw and unfamiliar features of the accustomed characters.

IMHO, of course.

No more glimpses.
No more holding back.
Let's kick this thing into high gear and go full throttle.

It's as though they've been flirting with us.
As if they've been practicing the art of seduction.
Well fellas, we've been on two great dates together and now I want to get physical.

I hope this helps.Evil

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Jul 7 2014, 4:34pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 7 2014, 8:44pm

Post #32 of 39 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Ah, now I think I see the shape of what you are saying - thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

BTW think you are a heck of a writer in your own right, something about the choice of words and phrases you use - your post to some fans' angst and grief (including mine) was one of the nicest "framings" of something that is quite hard on the fans of the Sons of Durin (yeah, it's just a movie but.....Unsure *sigh* Thorin is just so *bleep* magnificent; Fili and Kili are just too heartbreaking...but being glorious - it helps. Somehow. Because I was watching DOS this weekend and seeing Thorin tell Kili to re-join them, and their faces, and Fili's - I can't stand it) *sob*Unsure

ANYWAY.Cool

And, obviously, I'm not advocating for hammy displays of deep emotion or a cringe-worthy depiction of agonizing grief. Even if these guys attempted to overact, it probably wouldn't seem like overacting because they're that good. Having said all that, I've had a strong yearning to see certain cast members sail their characters into unchartered waters and perform on a passionate level.

I feel like AUJ and DOS have served as a warm-up of sorts. Like they've been going easy on us as far as character expressiveness goes. Calmly waiting for PJ to blow his whistle and get the actual game started so that they can show us the full range of their skill set. And that's exactly what I'm ready for. It's time for these gentleman to vehemently demonstrate their capabilities. It's time to let it all hang out. And most important, it's time for us to witness the raw and unfamiliar features of the accustomed characters.

This, I get! *Cough* especially, I'm thinking, re things degenerating with Thorin and Bilbo, and the agonizing choices Bilbo will have to make. *Gloomily* just wonder how much having to hold to a PG-13 rating dampens things down *frown*. (So I'm watching Kili at the river and there is blood pooling from his wound, and that's OK - but it's not OK to have a sword be a tad sticky now and then? CrazyCrazy )

So I'm wondering - even though we have these incredible actors who could go full bore - it they are ALLOWED to with a PG-13 rating? Or a maddened Thorin really letting loose, or arguing, say *speculating* with Fili and Kili, would get watered down because it would scare the kiddies? Sigh. I still think PJ & co. should go for broke, and let the ratings fall where they may.

PS. re:

I'm not advocating for hammy displays of deep emotion or a cringe-worthy depiction of agonizing grief.

Thank you for understanding what I was trying to get across. With the right actor, strong emotion can tear you apart in a theater. When it goes wrong, tho, there's me squirming in my seat and wishing it would end, or looking into my popcorn bucket, or rooting around in my bag for something.Unimpressed

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jul 7 2014, 9:24pm

Post #33 of 39 (1045 views)
Shortcut
Ratings and passionate emotion in acting [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This, I get! *Cough* especially, I'm thinking, re things degenerating with Thorin and Bilbo, and the agonizing choices Bilbo will have to make. *Gloomily* just wonder how much having to hold to a PG-13 rating dampens things down *frown*.

It should have no effect. No amount of "scary" yelling, screaming, shouting, or whispering, accompanied by gesticulations, facial expressions, etc. should bring a movie over into R territory. Speech only crosses the line to R ratings if it uses obscene language.

In Reply To
(So I'm watching Kili at the river and there is blood pooling from his wound, and that's OK - but it's not OK to have a sword be a tad sticky now and then? CrazyCrazy )

I suspect the fear (for the studio/moviemakers) here is that the impact of blood on the ratings may be additive. What makes a movie PG-13 (as both Hobbit films to date are) is violence that is "more than mild": "there may be depictions of violence in a PG-13 movie, but generally not both realistic and extreme or persistent violence." Persistent, I think, is the bigger potential issue for "The Hobbit". Neither Kili oozing blood, nor the sight of blood on a naked sword that has just cut someone, would in itself prompt an R rating, both are realistic, but not extreme. But having too many scenes of either, might be "persistent".

FiliSonOfDis
Rivendell

Jul 8 2014, 12:17am

Post #34 of 39 (1028 views)
Shortcut
I believe the book is [In reply to] Can't Post

the new WETA book desolation of smaug cloaks and daggers... not even sure if it's out yet but i think thats an excerpt image from it.

The mirkwood image however was just promotional stuff, but seeing him using it in mirkwood makes me think we might see it in the extended edition...possibly he even got it from beorn or something? I mean it looks dwarven i just know he isn't carrying it at all in AUJ...tho dwarves seem to have the magical ability to carry a lot of gear and pull things out of seemingly no where, even in the book with the large instruments.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 8 2014, 1:19am

Post #35 of 39 (1024 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

tho dwarves seem to have the magical ability to carry a lot of gear and pull things out of seemingly no where, even in the book with the large instruments.

*grins* often think PJ is smarter than all of us, e.g. the Appendices when he talks about what works in a book, and what definitely won't on screen. But once all the dwarves are in Erebor, there should be all KINDS of weaponry lying around, and proper dwarf arms too.

PS. Pretty sure the new WETA book was supposed to be out the 8th of July ....I'd been trying not to think about it from last year as the wait was so long, but FINALLY. SmileHeart

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 8 2014, 1:28am

Post #36 of 39 (1030 views)
Shortcut
That's great! (mostly) - thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

It should have no effect. No amount of "scary" yelling, screaming, shouting, or whispering, accompanied by gesticulations, facial expressions, etc. should bring a movie over into R territory. Speech only crosses the line to R ratings if it uses obscene language.

Because (as most of us know I guess) what is coming in BOFA - and with a cast this brilliant I think PJ should let them do their thing, full weight.Heart

The lack of stickiness on the weapons has been brought up before *sigh*. Personally drives me crazy as I don't need buckets of gore, but here's Thorin with a bloodstained pelt in AUJ, nose, face, etc. but he can kill a warg, pull up the blade, and Orcrist is squeaky cleanCrazy. Anyway, thank you for the enlightenment on the seemingly foggy U.S. rating systemUnsureFrown

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 8 2014, 6:52am

Post #37 of 39 (1024 views)
Shortcut
Convenient viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And besides, cowards like me will eventually just watch what they wanna watch, thanks to the wonders of technology, which happily can help one avoid either tears while watching any given production, or just outright cringing/boredom/irritation, depending on the scene in question. Or, alternatively, wear out certain sections of a DVD/BR by replaying, forcing one to re-purchase, thereby contributing to the economy.Wink

Technological advancements have certainly provided us with the means to be efficacious and expedient.Sly

And in today's society, who has more value and power than the righteous and omnipotent consumer? Laugh

Looks like it's a win-win situation for you.Smile

Or just go watch something like, say, Superman, where characters who have passed onto the great Havens promptly return from the Netherworld no worse for wear. I understand even Arnold is making an appearance in the next Terminator? Sort of like a certain bunny that just keeps going and going….

Yep, when you don't have the bearing to handle it, you'll always be able to temporarily immerse yourself in something else. It sure is nice to have options.

Another Terminator movie, you say? Cool

Mr. Schwarzenegger belongs to that exclusive club of veteran Hollywood actors that just don't let up. There is no stopping them.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 8 2014, 8:35am

Post #38 of 39 (1028 views)
Shortcut
Phew! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for being both honest and stoical.

And thanks for the compliment about my compositional handiwork.

I get my inspiration from high-class posters like yourself.

In Reply To
your post to some fans' angst and grief (including mine) was one of the nicest "framings" of something that is quite hard on the fans of the Sons of Durin

I'm glad that post was able to have a positive effect on you. That was my intention.

In Reply To
Or a maddened Thorin really letting loose, or arguing, say *speculating* with Fili and Kili, would get watered down because it would scare the kiddies? Sigh. I still think PJ & co. should go for broke, and let the ratings fall where they may.

I say screw the kiddies and take the drama to another level.Sly Give us something so darkly gripping that it frightens all of us. Like you said: go for broke.

In Reply To
Thank you for understanding what I was trying to get across. With the right actor, strong emotion can tear you apart in a theater. When it goes wrong, tho, there's me squirming in my seat and wishing it would end, or looking into my popcorn bucket, or rooting around in my bag for something.

Oh Avandel, you're adorable.Laugh

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 8 2014, 9:23pm

Post #39 of 39 (1015 views)
Shortcut
*grins* distractions during movie down time [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I should sue? All the times in films (or boring sermons/lectures/classes) during which I've gone rooting around in the depths of my bag (that is so akin to Gollum's cave), receiving any number of unfortunate impalings from pens, scissors, keychains. Of course, some times one's ennui is so great, the pain of a papercut is actually refreshing.WinkEvil

I say screw the kiddies and take the drama to another level.Sly Give us something so darkly gripping that it frightens all of us. Like you said: go for broke.

Amen. Since it sounds as tho as long as the dreaded 4-letter words are avoided, PJ can just cut his stellar cast loose to do their thing! (I'm still rooting for a little stickiness on the blades and axes, tooAngelic)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.