Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
What house will middle earth characters be sorted into in hogwarts?

boldog
Rohan

Jul 6 2014, 9:50am

Post #1 of 15 (4616 views)
Shortcut
What house will middle earth characters be sorted into in hogwarts? Can't Post

The sorting hat sorts the students into the house based on their personalities.
Gryffindor gets the Brave, reckless and courageous. Slytherin gets the Cunning, ambitious, Shrewd and achievement orientated.
Ravenclaw gets the Wise, intelligent, and talented
Hufflepuff gets the hard working, honest, friendly, loyal and impartial

So with these guidelines in mind, what characters in middle earth would belong where?
Ill start with a few easy ones.

Thorin: I believe Thorin is a very likely candidate for Slytherin or Gryffindor. He has the courage and bravery of Gryffindor, but he also has the Shrewd, Ambitious and achievement orientated nature of Slytherin about him.

Smaug: Is probably a mix between Ravenclaw and Slytherin, though Id probably say he would likely be put into Slytherin. (though it would be odd having a dragon as a student) Crazy

Aragorn: He could be either a Hufflepuff or a Gryffindor. He has the bravery about him, but he is dominated by more Hufflepuff qualities. In the end id say he would be a Hufflepuff.

I cant think of any pure Gryffindors.

Lets here your ideas.....

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 6 2014, 1:31pm

Post #2 of 15 (4497 views)
Shortcut
I think the Rohirrim... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Rohirrim have a lot of Gryffidor qualities. Eomere and Eowyn would definitely be Gryffindor.

As for whether Aragorn would be Gryffindor or Hufflepuff, remember that if you have qualities that would qualify you for more than one house you can choose. Harry could have been a Slythern, but he chose Gryffindor. So Aragorn, knowing it was his destiny to be king, would probably have chosen Gryffindor. Poor Hufflepuff seems to be seen as the least prestigious.

Only when we stop stopping our lives can we begin to start starting them. - Prof. Whitman, Community

Elutherian
Rohan

Jul 6 2014, 7:08pm

Post #3 of 15 (4491 views)
Shortcut
Hope I'm not missing anyone. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gryffindor - Borimir, Legolas, Gimli, Merry, Eomer, Eowyn, Denethor, Thorin, Dwalin, Gloin, Oin, Fili, Dain, Tauriel, Bard, Azog, Bolg.

Slytherin - Sauron, The Witch King, Smaug, Saruman, Grima, Alfrid, The Master of Laketown, Thranduil, Smeagol/Gollum

Hufflepuff - Aragorn, Sam, Pippin, Arwen, Radagast, Theoden, Faramir, Kili, Dori, Nori, Ori, Bombur, Bofur, Bifur, Beorn.

Ravenclaw - Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, Celeborn, Haldir, Balin.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

(This post was edited by Elutherian on Jul 6 2014, 7:12pm)

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 6 2014, 8:08pm

Post #4 of 15 (4480 views)
Shortcut
i love the premise of this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

i love the premise of this thread. it promises much amusement.

i was never really satisfied with jk rowling's depiction of the houses (i mean, why have slytherin house at all, if all it does is corrupt souls?).

i think it's more useful to think of each house as having strengths and weaknesses....

gryffindor
strengths: brave
weaknesses: reckless, vain, attention-seeking, superiority complex

slytherin
strengths: ambitious, goal-oriented, practical
weaknesses: devious, selfish

hufflepuff
strengths: kind, honest, hard-working, tolerant
weaknesses: ????

ravenclaw
strengths: intelligent, theoretical
weaknesses: ??

for me, i can't fully sort a lot of lotr and silmarillion characters until the pluses and minuses of the houses are outlined.

btw, it may surprise some, but i'd put galadriel in slytherin.

cheers ---

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Jul 6 2014, 8:08pm)

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 6 2014, 8:29pm

Post #5 of 15 (4468 views)
Shortcut
Weakenesses [In reply to] Can't Post

I always perceived a weakness of Hufflepuff was for them all to be push overs. Easily taken advantage of. Easily ignored. Lack of assertiveness?

A Ravenclaw weakness I perceived was a slowness to action.

Of course, off the top of my head, I can't give any book examples. Crazy

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 6 2014, 9:23pm

Post #6 of 15 (4454 views)
Shortcut
i've often wondered about this [In reply to] Can't Post

i've often wondered about this... is it that truly the case that hufflepuffs are passive and malleable? or is it that we often think people are weaker if they're nice and kind?

we equate strength with showiness and bluster, and are not as likely to see strength in someone who is quiet, patience, and understanding.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 6 2014, 9:52pm

Post #7 of 15 (4464 views)
Shortcut
I think Hufflepuffs could be strong if they wanted to. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just believe people tend to discount and ignore them. Perhaps at their own peril...

Maybe Hufflepuffs have enough self-confidence that they don't need to go around flaunting their power. Maybe Ginny Weasley could have gone into Hufflepuff, but desired to be a Gryffindor out of family loyalty. The Hat takes into consideration the wishes of the student, remember.

Rowling, herself, overlooked the Hufflepuffs. I can't think of a single character who was a Hufflepuff. Was Cedric Diggory a Hufflepuff? Or a Ravenclaw? Don't remember.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

(This post was edited by Alassëa Eruvande on Jul 6 2014, 9:55pm)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2014, 12:04am

Post #8 of 15 (4437 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Cedric was Hufflepuff// [In reply to] Can't Post

Only when we stop stopping our lives can we begin to start starting them. - Prof. Whitman, Community

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 7 2014, 12:21am

Post #9 of 15 (4435 views)
Shortcut
cedric was a hufflepuff [In reply to] Can't Post

cedric diggory was a hufflepuff.

and, yes... rowling was too lopsided in her depiction of the houses, and the students within them.

really, anyone coming out of slytherin seemed to be any combination of sullen, self-centered, and lacking in empathy. after a few graduating classes of dubious students, shouldn't the faculty have done something?

i like to think of the hufflepuffs as knowing that kindness and love are more important than anything -- and in this respect, are far-better educated than the other houses.

slytherin was the most lopsided of all... i can only think of a few slytherins that had positive merit (compared to the scads of others from the rest of the houses):

1. horace slughorn
2. severus snape
3. regulus black
4. adromeda black tonks
5. phineas black
6. any others?

cheers ---

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Nira
Lorien

Jul 7 2014, 4:27am

Post #10 of 15 (4447 views)
Shortcut
For the hobbits & elves, I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gryffindor- Pippin, Galadriel, Legolas, Tauriel
Ravenclaw- Bilbo, Merry, Elrond, Celeborn
Hufflepuff- Sam, Frodo, Arwen, Haldir
Slytherin- Thranduil, Smeagol, Lobelia & Otho Sackville-Baggins

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 8 2014, 9:59pm

Post #11 of 15 (4415 views)
Shortcut
I like your thinking on this.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The characters attached to the different houses has always been the real weakness in the HP books for me. The idea of each having strengths and related weaknesses is much better.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 8 2014, 11:03pm

Post #12 of 15 (4412 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't Elves and Dwarves be excluded from Hogwarts? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think that the non-Mannish peoples would be allowed as students at Hogwarts, although other wizarding schools do seem to allow at least some Fey. I"m not sure that High Elves exist in the world of Harry Potter. We do have the much diminished house-elves, but they more resemble the brownies of folklore. Hobbits just don't seem to possess much in the way of magical talent.

Gryffindor: Aragorn; Boromir; Eowyn; Eomer; Bard; Theoden; Beren; Hurin; Morwen; Turin; Earendil; Elendil; Isildur; Tarannon Falastur.

Hufflepuff: Beorn; Faramir; Barliman Butterbur, Nienor; Tar-Miriel.

Ravenclaw: Denethor; Ar-Pharazon.

Slytherin: Grima Wormtongue; the Master of Lake-town; Bill Ferny; Beruthiel.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 9 2014, 4:15am

Post #13 of 15 (4397 views)
Shortcut
This sounds fun [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn Gryffindor
Legolas Slytherin
Gimli hufflepuff
Eowyn Gryffindor
Arwen Ravenclaw
Frodo hufflepuff
Sam hufflepuff
Pippin hufflepuff
Merry hufflepuff
Theoden Gryffindor
Faramir Ravenclaw
Boromir Gryffindor
Sauron Slytherin
Saruman Slytherin
Elrond Ravenclaw
Galadriel Ravenclaw
Thorin Gryffindor
Kili Gryffindor
Fili Gryffindor
Tauriel Gryffindor
Luthien Ravenclaw
Beren Gryffindor
Turin Slytherin
Earendeil Ravenclaw
Whew! That's a lot. Hope I remembered most of them.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 9 2014, 4:18am

Post #14 of 15 (4408 views)
Shortcut
Slytherin house is not evil though [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just misunderstood. It's as essential a part of Hogwarts as any other house. Their gifts are just not valued and are demonized because some have used them unwisely. Snape was a Slytherin and the bravest man in the whole book.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2014, 10:33pm

Post #15 of 15 (4376 views)
Shortcut
wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll............... [In reply to] Can't Post

Has no one mentioned Glorfindel?

Gryffindor, for sure....

I think Legolas should be in Gryffindor as well ...

if you look at bookverse Legolas, he is introduced as a son of a king, then that is forgotten as he plays Faithful Elven Sidekick to the Hero, putting his own immortal life on the line for a mere mortal. (a running theme in Tolkien's works).

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.