The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
ROTK normal soundtrack vs. Complete Recordings

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2014, 4:28pm

Post #1 of 15 (578 views)
Shortcut
ROTK normal soundtrack vs. Complete Recordings Can't Post

I buy the majority of my music on iTunes anymore, and in my quest to eventually get all of the LOTR soundtracks, I noticed that they have both the ROTK normal soundtrack and the ROTK Complete Recordings soundtrack available for purchase. The normal soundtrack costs USD $11.99 and the complete recordings soundtrack costs $24.99.

Now, I'm a very frugal person (a.k.a. college ain't cheap! Tongue) and I want to be sure that the things I buy are actually worth the price tag, so I was wondering, for those of you that know about the Complete Recordings soundtracks:

What is the big difference between the normal soundtrack and the complete recordings soundtrack? AND

In your opinion, is the ROTK Complete Recordings really worth the extra $13?

Thanks!Smile

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

Faleel
Rohan

Jul 5 2014, 4:36pm

Post #2 of 15 (397 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

ROTK normal soundtrack is 1 disc, ROTK complete Recordings is 4 Discs.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 5 2014, 5:12pm

Post #3 of 15 (386 views)
Shortcut
psst to Faleel [In reply to] Can't Post

For those of us who read in threaded mode, we see the subject line of each post in an 'outline' of the entire conversation. To read a post, we have to click on the subject line. You would be doing those of us in threaded mode a great kindness if you would write something long enough to click on easily. One period is hard to zone in on for a click.

thanks. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 5 2014, 5:17pm

Post #4 of 15 (378 views)
Shortcut
my purchase [In reply to] Can't Post

when the complete recordings came out on cd, i eagerly purchased them. in my opinion they are +absolutely+ worth it.

when i was purchasing, i was astounded to learn the battle of the pelennor fields was not on the soundtrack -- only the complete recordings (!) that's just one example, but i was astounded that such a pivotal, recognizable, and stirring piece of music was absent from the soundtrack.

comparing the one disc to four, it was an easy decision. so much left out. if the music of the return of the king inspires you, captivates you, transports you, you'll want the complete recordings.

amazon will probably have a lot of reviews on the soundtrack, which will point out what's missing.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 5 2014, 5:26pm

Post #5 of 15 (387 views)
Shortcut
as may be obvious from Faleel's answer [In reply to] Can't Post

... the normal soundtrack (also called OST or jewel case editions) are a one-hour-ish summary of each movie's soundtrack.

The Complete Recordings are meant to be the entire soundtrack of the movie - as originally intended by Shore.

That is, in some cases, decisions were made to move music around in some way. The Complete Recordings will put unused music in the place it was originally intended. So there is some music in those editions that were not heard either in the OST or the actual movie.

If you are interested enough in the soundtracks to listen to all the soft, less dramatic parts,then it is worth it. You will also hear (especially in the case of ROTK) music you can't get other places that is very lovely. For example: the music during the scenes when Barad-dur is collapsing is fantastic and there's some music connected to the eagles coming for Frodo and Sam that is pretty darn moving and isn't on the OST.

Also, if you have the ROTK EE DVDs, you might have noticed some totally new music at the end of the Fan Club members scroll. If you did, you could have ripped that music into an mp3. If you don't have the EE DVDs or you don't have the capability of ripping them, you can get those tracks on the CR-ROTK.

Other music only on the CR: The death of Theoden and Arwen's (Liv's) song at the Houses of Healing.

You are looking at the mp3 download. But if you get the actual set, you'll also get a booklet of info written by Doug Adams with a significant amount of info in it. And an additional DVD-Audio disc that offers 2.0 stereo and 5.1 surround mixes of the soundtrack

Faleel
Rohan

Jul 5 2014, 7:03pm

Post #6 of 15 (369 views)
Shortcut
Not exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Not exactly.

Sometimes film versions are used instead of Shore's original intention, and sometimes intros and overlays are dropped.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 5 2014, 7:30pm

Post #7 of 15 (376 views)
Shortcut
sometimes... sometimes... sometimes... [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no one defining set of parameters about what music was used where in the Complete Recordings. Decisions about what version of any cue would be included in the CRs was made on a case by case basis. If I didn't make it clear that 'some music' was switched around, then we needed that spelled out. But I did say:
So there is some music in those editions that were not heard either in the OST or the actual movie.

I was trying to keep an explanation of the differences simple and not overly complex. And I was trying to provide some sense of the differences beyond simply "1 disc vs 4 discs."

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 5 2014, 7:34pm)

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Jul 6 2014, 1:04am

Post #8 of 15 (351 views)
Shortcut
To make things a little more complicated... [In reply to] Can't Post

In addition to what has already been discussed, I would like to add that the OSTs have some different versions of key passages of music - different from the CRs and different from the final cuts of the films - that might yield a more enjoyable listening experience for certain fans...like me, for instance. In fact, concerning RotK, the OST music corresponding to the lighting of the beacons has kind of ruined me for the film version, which seems less satisfying.

I am a big fan of the way the OSTs are assembled. To me, they have a lot more going on than just a splicing together of representative passages of music into 12 or 13 tracks. Although I don't claim to know anything about the process, the result seems to be that each track centers on one or two musical ideas, and then music selections are built around and in support of that idea, even if the supporting music comes from some other place in the film (i.e. the musical idea of "The White Tree" is the lighting of the beacons; the musical idea of "Minas Tirith" is Gandalf + Pippin's arrival at MT.) This is especially prominent with TTT and RotK.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 6 2014, 2:19am

Post #9 of 15 (343 views)
Shortcut
I totally agree with you on all your points [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, except maybe for the OST beacons music ruining the film version. That's an individual response that I didn't have. :-)

But I think there's an ebb and flow of the OST ... a dramatic arc that works as an hour-ish long listening experience. The CRs don't read in quite the same way.

And of course, the LOTR symphony discs present the music in yet another unique way.

Name
Rohan

Jul 6 2014, 1:04pm

Post #10 of 15 (321 views)
Shortcut
What you may be able to do [In reply to] Can't Post

Is buy the normal soundtrack (where all the music is worthwhile) and then go on iTunes and get the individual tracks that interest you from the CR. Now I know that sometimes iTunes has it so that you must buy the entire album (sigh...), but it's worth checking out.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 6 2014, 2:39pm

Post #11 of 15 (320 views)
Shortcut
It's really worth it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I downloaded the whole set off iTunes. I love that this is the only set you can buy that has my favorite song, the one that plays when Eowyn and Faramir stand on the balcony together. The whole soundtrack gives you a better immersive experience. I purchased it from iTunes over a CD, even though I prefer CDs, because of the cheaper price. I'm on a shoestring budget too! To buy the ROTK set from amazon though currently it is the same, though when I purchased it from iTunes it cost more. If your a collector, or cd nostalgic you could go for the disc instead. I still love the feel of a real cd in my hand. Heart

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Jul 6 2014, 2:48pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2014, 12:37am

Post #12 of 15 (286 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

You gave an excellent explanation, as always, Magpie.Smile It was very helpful!

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2014, 12:48am

Post #13 of 15 (289 views)
Shortcut
Thanks everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

The feedback has been very helpful with my purchasing decision. The complete recordings it is!Cool

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Lossefalme
Gondor

Jul 7 2014, 12:50am

Post #14 of 15 (294 views)
Shortcut
I have both the soundtracks and CRs and think it's worth it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the soundtracks and the CRs for all of LotR and although I still occasionally listen to the soundtracks, I listen to the CRs all the time. I love them. I, too, get most of my music via iTunes at this point, but I purchased the actual CDs in this case. They are beautifully packaged and, as Magpie said, include a wonderful booklet.
That said, the music for RotK is beautiful no matter what and if you can't afford the CRs now ithey're not going anywhere. You could always get the soundtracks now and enjoy them and ask for the CRs as a gift (which is what I did three Cristmases in a row!) or wait to get them until you can afford them. They are different enough that it really is a different purchase.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. “Elendil!” he cried. “I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil’s son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!” TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: “Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.” RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2014, 12:55am

Post #15 of 15 (341 views)
Shortcut
I'm watching ROTK right now [In reply to] Can't Post

and I made sure to listen carefully for the Eowyn and Faramir song you mentioned since I didn't remember it from when I've watched before. You're right, it is beautifulHeart and I definitely want to be able to listen to it over and over again!Smile

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.