Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
From where did Gandalf get his fireworks?
Poll: From where did Gandalf get his fireworks?
Saruman
Dwarves
Secret Lair
Other.
View Results (34 votes)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 4 2014, 11:40pm

Post #1 of 18 (558 views)
Shortcut
From where did Gandalf get his fireworks? Can't Post

I should have posted this earlier in the day, but it is still the Fourth of July here in the U.S. So, in the spirit of Independence Day, where did Gandalf make his fireworks? He didn't seem to have a permanent resisdence, much less a well-equipped alchemical lab. So, did he enlist Saruman's help at Isengard? Did the Bue Mountain Dwarves use explosives in their mining? Did he have a secret laboratory at Rivendell, in Gondor or the Grey Havens? Did he just conjure them up? What do you think?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 4 2014, 11:41pm

Post #2 of 18 (388 views)
Shortcut
Saruman. [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I think that Gandalf enlisted Saruman's help and made his fireworks at Isengard.

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 5 2014, 12:48am

Post #3 of 18 (387 views)
Shortcut
Fireworks in the Shire. [In reply to] Can't Post

A bomb for Helm's Deep.
Peaceful and destructive uses for the same substance.
Two very different wizards.
It makes sense.

Glassary
Rivendell

Jul 5 2014, 1:08am

Post #4 of 18 (388 views)
Shortcut
Lol in he Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep at ye olde Shireworks Fireworks.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 5 2014, 1:18am

Post #5 of 18 (373 views)
Shortcut
Hee! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 5 2014, 1:24am

Post #6 of 18 (372 views)
Shortcut
Great question, Otaku! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always assumed he simply made them himself. He's a wiz of a wizard after all and considering the great mystical powers he can muster, I figure fireworks would be child's play for him. Smile

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 5 2014, 7:26am

Post #7 of 18 (367 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's my vote. [In reply to] Can't Post

He may have learned his pyrotechnics at the same place Saruman did (Aman), but his had his own recipes and uses.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 5 2014, 2:21pm

Post #8 of 18 (364 views)
Shortcut
Well, the book says he made a special study of fire [In reply to] Can't Post

and, coincidentally, he wears Narya, the ring of fire, so I don't think he needs any help from Saruman or the dwarves. I voted Secret Lair, since Tolkien never tells us exactly where all those beautifully finished fireworks in his cart came from, or, for that matter, where the cart and horse came from, either. Apparently, Gandalf has 'Sources' that he prefers to keep confidential!
Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 5 2014, 6:39pm

Post #9 of 18 (346 views)
Shortcut
When I say 'help' [In reply to] Can't Post

By help, I mean that Gandalf needs access to a well-equipped alchemy laboratory. Making fireworks involves chemicals, powders, customized fuses and other materials that all have to be specially measured and prepared. It is possible that Gandalf had such a lab somewhere such as Gondor or the Grey Havens; however, Tolkien's writings suggest otherwise and we know that Saruman must have maintained such a working enironment at Orthanc. Thus, I reach my conclusion that Gandalf most likely produced his fireworks at Isengard.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 5 2014, 9:40pm

Post #10 of 18 (337 views)
Shortcut
I am thinking some were bought from Dale from the dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

And the rest were just part of his awesome powers. Wink

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 5 2014, 10:21pm

Post #11 of 18 (340 views)
Shortcut
If he had been visiting Isengard regularly... [In reply to] Can't Post

...he would have noticed what Saruman was up to, assuming he had been doing it longer than the 17 years between Bilbo's party and his detention in Isengard, Also assuming there were no fireworks at Frodo's parties in those years.

I think it is much more likely that he had a facility of his own somewhere, possibly Rivendell or a Dwarven settlement.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 6 2014, 2:50pm

Post #12 of 18 (327 views)
Shortcut
Well,,, [In reply to] Can't Post

We know that Dwarves made a number of deliveries for Bilbo's birthday party, so it is certainly possible that Gandalf had equipment and a lab at the Blue Mountains Dwarf-colony. I would not discount the possibility.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 6 2014, 2:56pm

Post #13 of 18 (325 views)
Shortcut
Excellent point, Elizabeth... [In reply to] Can't Post

However, Saruman's more nefarious activities couldn't have been too obvious prior to the War of the Ring or Gandalf shoiuld have noticed that something was off right away when he visited him after leaving Frodo and the Ring at Bag End.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 7 2014, 1:38pm

Post #14 of 18 (330 views)
Shortcut
I would suggest... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that it was Saruman who stole the making of fireworks from Gandalf. Saruman doesn't seem to be very original in his thinking. Mock rings, mock orcs, why not mock explosives? Saruman's "wizard's fire" definitely wasn't as pretty as Gandalf's fireworks. A colorless imitation at best.

Anyway, to your question, I'd suggest the men of Dale granted Gandalf a bit of land for his personal use. Of course Dwarves also seemed to have had a hand in their making:

There were toys the like of which they had never seen before, all beautiful and some obviously magical. Many of them had indeed been ordered a year before, and had come all the way from the Mountain and from Dale, and were of real dwarf-make.

"Hundreds of musical crackers had been pulled. Most of them bore the mark DALE on them; which did not convey much to most of the hobbits, but they all agreed they were marvellous crackers."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 7 2014, 3:50pm

Post #15 of 18 (328 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

What about the period before Dale was rebuilt? The fireworks of Bilbo's childhood couldn't have come from Dale (or Erebor for that matter).

Gandalf could have maintained a workshop somewhere in Gondor (in Minas Tirith, Pelargir or Dol Amroth). Rivendell seems the least likely to me (mostly because of its relative secrecy), leaving Isengard, the Blue Mountain Dwarves and the Grey Havens.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 7 2014, 9:00pm

Post #16 of 18 (328 views)
Shortcut
Wandering Erebor refugees. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see Gandalf sending job-shop work their way as a means of helping them in their plight.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 8 2014, 6:00pm

Post #17 of 18 (301 views)
Shortcut
That made me laugh :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 15 2014, 7:53pm

Post #18 of 18 (304 views)
Shortcut
Interesting results so far... [In reply to] Can't Post

I did not expect so many to check Other.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.