Altaira
Superuser

Jul 4 2014, 4:06pm

Post #1 of 55 (245 views)
Shortcut
Come on in! It's Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Hello, everyone, and welcome to Fiesta!

This is the long, Independence Day weekend in the States

BG and I are enjoying a nice, lazy day off and are about to watch France play Germany in the World Cup. We also have an amazing view of the local golf course's fireworks show (one of the biggest in the area) from our loft window, so we enjoyed that last night. The rest of the weekend for will include pet-sitting, more soccer, a little cricket, and work for me (alas).

Let us know what your plans are for the weekend!

*Kicks juke box* "Born in the U.S.A." by The Boss starts to play

Happy, fun weekend everyone! LaughHeartCool

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2014, 4:35pm

Post #2 of 55 (181 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Altaira! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

My plans? Probably catching up on some reading, LOL! :) I finally started the fantastic Wheel Of Time series several months ago, and am currently on book #8 of #14 (or #15, I guess, with the prequel). And each book is huge (often sneakily so, since the type is rather a good deal smaller than usual so as to fit more words onto each page, thus reducing the {still-sizable} page count, LOL). I have no problem with length at all when the story is so good (I mean, one of my favorite stories *is* The Lord Of The Rings, after all :) , plus The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and all of the background/making-of materials, too-- and we all know how much reading that all is!), it's just that even with my natural-speed-reading pace, between the length of the chapters and how busy I am I usually only have time for a little chunk (a chapter or two) a day. And it's REALLY hard to put down, which inevitably leads to me saying "Just one more..." a few times and then staying up later than I really should... (^_^;) So, yeah, catching up on the reading sounds good. :)

I'll have a Summer Usual, please; thanks, and I hope you have a great weekend, Altaira! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Kim
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 4:43pm

Post #3 of 55 (175 views)
Shortcut
Happy 4th of July! [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoying a (mostly) sunny morning before heading off to a local parade, followed by festivities & music before the big fireworks show tonight. Will probably spend the rest of the weekend enjoying the sun and reading all the fantastic reviews of RA's The Crucible. Wink

Let's see, how about a Sprite with raspberries and blueberries for a patriotic drink? Happy weekend all! Cool

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 4 2014, 4:45pm

Post #4 of 55 (178 views)
Shortcut
Happy Independence Day! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been quite an eventful week. Most importantly, my dad's back from the hospital. Yay! But that's far from all. My little brother started his military service on Tuesday (we have conscription in Estonia) and I finally began working on my master's thesis again.

My plans for the weekend include watching TV (World Cup, Estonian Song and Dance Festival), reading, and taking a little road trip with my folks on Sunday to check out the place my brother's stationed in. Should be fun.

Happy weekend, everybody! Smile

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 4 2014, 4:47pm

Post #5 of 55 (172 views)
Shortcut
Hey back, Evy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like you and I have the bar pretty much to ourselves, so here's a 7-up... pour in as much miruvor as you can handle! Wink

I can relate to the "just one more" syndrome. It's one of the reasons I don't read in bed as often as I used to. I sleep bad enough as it is these days (mostly due to stupid allergies), that I can't afford to go to bed too late *and* wake up and not be able to get back to sleep like I inevitably do. So, you should take advantage of some free 'day time' to catch up!

Have a great weekend! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 4 2014, 4:49pm

Post #6 of 55 (170 views)
Shortcut
Same to you, Kim! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great idea for a drink: *slips some raspberries and blueberries into an ice cold Sprite*

Sounds like a great weekend all around. So, enjoy! Smile

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 4 2014, 4:51pm

Post #7 of 55 (173 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Blackfox! [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad to hear that your dad is home. I hope he continues to do well now that he's surrounded by loved ones 'full time.' Smile

Good luck to your brother, and enjoy your weekend activities!

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 4:56pm

Post #8 of 55 (174 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to Arthur, it's solid overcast here. [In reply to] Can't Post

But last night, the lightning was more spectacular than the fireworks.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 4 2014, 4:57pm

Post #9 of 55 (165 views)
Shortcut
Many thanks, Altaira! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 5:00pm

Post #10 of 55 (164 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

that your dad is back from the hospital - that's got to be a big relief. Smile

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

elaen32
Gondor

Jul 4 2014, 5:01pm

Post #11 of 55 (165 views)
Shortcut
Happy 4th July!! [In reply to] Can't Post

to all American friends... and to non-American friends too! Hope you're all having a good holiday across the pond.
Real life has kept me away from the boards for a few months, but hoping to be able to spend a bit more time here nowSmile
For once it's been lovely weather here in the UK- in fact a little too warm this afternoon, so I'm relaxing watching the Wimbledon semi-finals. Another week off next week so hoping the weather will hold.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in April. Happy writing!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 4 2014, 5:03pm

Post #12 of 55 (163 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Kim! Evil

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 4 2014, 5:03pm

Post #13 of 55 (161 views)
Shortcut
We got some lightening too [In reply to] Can't Post

It can be spectacular. Was it right over-head? ours was off in the distance over the mountains, but still pretty impressive.

I hope you're staying dry and aren't being too inconvenienced by Arthur. Smile

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 4 2014, 5:05pm

Post #14 of 55 (157 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back, elaen32! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope the real life things keeping you away were all good things.

Oh, to have a week off, no less "another week off." I'm green with envy. Enjoy it! Smile

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2014, 5:06pm

Post #15 of 55 (158 views)
Shortcut
Indeed. Thanks! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Kim
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 5:07pm

Post #16 of 55 (154 views)
Shortcut
Thanks elaen! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see you around here again - hope RL allows you to come by and play more often. Enjoy your week off! Smile

elaen32
Gondor

Jul 4 2014, 5:22pm

Post #17 of 55 (158 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately not... [In reply to] Can't Post

the real life stuff was mostly all work relatedFrown, but hey, it's summer and I have some holidaySmile Hope you have a bit of a break over this weekend anyway, Altaira

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in April. Happy writing!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2014, 5:28pm

Post #18 of 55 (161 views)
Shortcut
*runs in, shakes off umbrella* [In reply to] Can't Post

Might I have a cup of coffee, please, Altaira? I'm a bit late - daughter and I decided to take advantage of a slight lull in the rain to do a grocery-shopping together!

I enjoy this: we browse the shelves, ponder meals, pick up items she likes to use to make her own special dishes, things I'd never think of! And chat. (And I can use her height to reach upper-shelf items! Laugh)

But it's downpours and thunderstorms here today: "natural fireworks", LOL!

I'll be visiting my Dad tomorrow, now that the decision has been made to get him into an apartment at the continuous-care facility. He finally feels that the time has come, he's starting to really feel the age in his 92-year-old body, and it's a relief to me.

Then Sunday is the annual lobster fest in town - got our tickets already! Just have to remember to bring the nutcrackers along, makes getting at the claw meat so much easier. Yum!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 4 2014, 5:33pm

Post #19 of 55 (154 views)
Shortcut
I used to love shopping with my mom! [In reply to] Can't Post

Browsing and chatting was always so pleasant, and it made me feel like I was really helping her out (this was when she was older and battling cancer).

Bless your dad for 'finally feeling his age' at 92! Those apartments are wonderful solutions though. It gives a person a good deal of independence while having potentially life-saving help nearby. I did a lot of researching and visiting places like that when my uncle was in need of one.

Enjoy all of your various visits, try to keep dry, and eat some lobster for me (jealous...jealous... jealous Laugh)!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2014, 5:34pm

Post #20 of 55 (161 views)
Shortcut
Well, that should keep you out of trouble! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh!

I know what you mean about reading pace, I tend to read slowly, but that's because I like to "savour words" and let the scenes play out in my mind.

Enjoy the weekend! Smile

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2014, 5:38pm

Post #21 of 55 (153 views)
Shortcut
;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, and I hope you have a great weekend, too, dernwyn! :)

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2014, 5:39pm

Post #22 of 55 (152 views)
Shortcut
Sprite with raspberries and blueberries? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a different kind of "float"! Laugh

What I've been poking around for, are any pics of any of our Hobbit gang together last night. Our "boys" do seem to be doing a lot of awesome stage-work nowadays! Heart

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2014, 5:41pm

Post #23 of 55 (156 views)
Shortcut
That's good news! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no place like home for the best recuperation. Heart

Is your brother stationed not too far from you? How long will his service last?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2014, 5:45pm

Post #24 of 55 (151 views)
Shortcut
Yep, you enjoyed a huge show last night. [In reply to] Can't Post

My mid-Massachusetts dad was telling me all about it this morning! His electric flickered once, but never went out, although there were some outages nearby. That system went north of us.

And now we have daytime "fireworks"! Laugh Local festivities are postponed - are yours, as well?

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 4 2014, 5:46pm

Post #25 of 55 (157 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can certainly relate to the 'work related' parts of real life. I do make it a point to devote some 'together' time with BG and a little 'me' time too (like now, reading and posting on TORn Laugh).

Just savor the time off while you have it (as I'm sure you are). Smile

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 4 2014, 5:46pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.