Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Chapter of the Week: Mirkwood

BlackFox
Grey Havens

Jul 4, 10:35am

Views: 689
Shortcut
Chapter of the Week: Mirkwood Can't Post

DOS Chapter of the Week: Mirkwood

Hi, everybody, and welcome to another CHOW! This week we’ll be focusing on DOS Chapter 7: Mirkwood, where our heroes begin their journey through the eponymous forest, but lose their way.

1. What do you make of the scenery? How does the cinematic Mirkwood compare to (a) its book counterpart, (b) other forests we’ve seen in Middle-earth films/read about in the books (Fangorn, Lothlórien, The Old Forest etc.)?

2. How would you describe Mirkwood’s “aura”? What kind of a role do cinematography, editing and score play in creating this atmosphere?

3. Does Bilbo’s web-plucking remind anyone else Pippin’s little stunt in Moria? Could this be what alerts the spiders of the Company’s presence?

4. The word “attercop” can be heard whispered twice in this chapter: first after Bilbo plucks the spider webs and later when the Company is arguing amongst themselves and Thorin tells the rest to be quiet as they’re “being watched”. How come they can hear the spiders when their voices are only meant to be heard with the Ring on? Is it a continuity error or can it be given a logical explanation?

5. The general consensus seems to be that this sequence is too short. Hopefully we’ll see more of Mirkwood in the EE. What new material are you most looking forward to seeing there?

6. Any details that stand out for you? Something that always catches your eye/you only noticed now?

7. Any favourite shots?

Here’s one of mine, for example:

8. Is there anything else you’d like to say about this chapter? Any additional comments or observations?

Let me know what you think. Smile

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

Subject User Time
Chapter of the Week: Mirkwood BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Jul 4, 10:35am
    Ah my land Vepariga Send a private message to Vepariga Jul 4, 1:58pm
        Our land BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Jul 4, 2:20pm
    To avoid confusion BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Jul 4, 2:22pm
    Mirkwood Barbarb Send a private message to Barbarb Jul 5, 1:42am
    Loves it! Looks we're in good company too. Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Jul 5, 2:24am
        Home sweet home! BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Jul 5, 10:20am
    Creepy Kim Send a private message to Kim Jul 5, 2:51am
        Creepy indeed BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Jul 5, 10:34am
            ALL of the Above... Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Jul 5, 2:03pm
    My thoughts Noria Send a private message to Noria Jul 5, 8:00pm
        Believe it or not, but I was originally going to include that screencap on my CHOW! BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Jul 5, 9:53pm
        wow... way detailed *impressed* Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Jul 6, 9:09am
            Thanks Lurker. Noria Send a private message to Noria Jul 6, 11:59am
                There is! Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Jul 7, 1:44am
    Did someone mention "creepy"? Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Jul 5, 11:42pm
        So if I'm understanding you correctly Kim Send a private message to Kim Jul 6, 7:04am
            Hmm...you could be right. Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Jul 6, 11:09am
        Creepy? No way! BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Jul 6, 4:24pm
    Just four answers from me... Kerewyn Send a private message to Kerewyn Jul 6, 9:26am
        No worries! It's the quality of answers that matters, not the quantity. BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Jul 6, 4:28pm
    Beautiful screencaps! cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Jul 10, 2:46am
        No rush BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Jul 10, 8:49am
    Mirkwood journey is ok, but visibly not a big priority elostirion74 Send a private message to elostirion74 Jul 10, 2:36pm
        Thank you for your answers, elostirion! // BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Jul 10, 3:00pm
        I think you're right about this... sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Jul 12, 5:41pm
    Gah! cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Jul 12, 12:33am
        Commiserations Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Jul 12, 2:31am
        Bummer! BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Jul 12, 9:24am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.