belated reading thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Immortal

Jul 4 2014, 3:06am

Post #1 of 50 (437 views)
Shortcut
belated reading thread! Can't Post

So sorry - Lily asked me to sub for her this week, but with one thing & another I totally spaced until just now. So: what have you been reading?

I found myself re-reading Lois McMaster Bujold's Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls. I think these are two of the best fantasy novels ever written, and quite possibly also two of the best spiritual books ever written.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 4 2014, 3:21am

Post #2 of 50 (307 views)
Shortcut
rereading American Gods [In reply to] Can't Post

I got a digital copy on sale at Amazon and had started it when the new Dresden novel came out. So far, I haven't indulged in sitting down with a big old hardcover but instead have continued to read on the Kindle. I wouldn't have predicted that 2 years ago.

I'm not a fan of everything Gaiman writes but I like AG quite a lot. It doesn't hurt that I've been to House on the Rock and it blew. my. mind. In really freaky ways. I mean, I couldn't stop talking about it afterwards. I think Neil *got* HotR in the same way I did. I'm also pretty impressed with some of the US cultural toss offs he does. I know he's been here a long time but there was something (I don't remember what, exactly) that indicated a pretty deep understanding a US cultural history.

It was just announced this week that Starz has picked up the rights to develop the novel into a tv series:
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/...-gods-series/278786/

Let the speculation begin on the cast.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kim
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 3:34am

Post #3 of 50 (293 views)
Shortcut
Ah, I thought I'd missed it [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for hosting this week Annael. I've just finished one, and am in the middle of a couple others I hope to be able to focus on over the long weekend.

A Duty to the Dead: A Bess Crawford mystery by Charles Todd: this was another one I put on my to-read list years ago and finally got to it, and now there are already 5 in the series. This was pretty interesting, the story is centered around Bess Crawford, a WWI nurse who promised to take a message to the family of a soldier who died on her hospital ship. When she goes to see his family and deliver the message, they don't immediately know what it means. She ends up staying to help nurse another local soldier, and tries to work out the mystery of the message. I liked it and plan to check out the others in the series.

Still working on How the Scots Invented the Modern World: the chapter on Scottish vs. English law came in handy when I was watching The Escape Artist.

The Doomsday Book: this is another Connie Willis historian-traveling-back-in-time book, this time to the middle ages. Similar set up as her other books, enjoying it so far.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2014, 3:35am

Post #4 of 50 (297 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you remembered! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm reading the Divergent trilogy. (I surprisingly enjoyed the film so I figured I'd give the books a go.)

Unfortunately Veronica Roth is a writer who falls into the trap of telling rather than showing - but also, she doesn't sketch much detail into her scenes, either visually or emotionally (except for Tris's internal monologues). I feel like I'm reading a draft for the novels that still requires more work done to it - or if you like, I'm reading it in shades of grey and the colour is still to be painted in.

One thing she does do well is the interplay of relationships - it's more realistic than in many YA novels I've read.

One issue I had with the Divergent movie was the social structure of the factions: Such a simplistic system just wouldn't work in reality. But what appears to be a fundamental fault in the story turns out to be a significant plot point at the end of book two and throughout book three, for which I give Roth credit - unfortunately Roth's imagination is limited when it comes to doing something with it. I've got a quarter of book three to go and I'm still waiting for something to happen.

Overall the books have been a diverting read but I won't be reading them again in years to come.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 3:46am

Post #5 of 50 (296 views)
Shortcut
Whose bookshelf is this? [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 4 2014, 6:07am

Post #6 of 50 (296 views)
Shortcut
I've been reading some of the sermons and lectures of Theodore Parker [In reply to] Can't Post

He's my latest hero. What a writer! He was quoted by people who are remembered for the words, even though people don't remember that he said them first. For example, Abraham Lincoln ('of the people, by the people, for the people") and Martin Luther King ("the arc of history is long, but it bends toward justice.") Parker had a congregation of 3000 people, back in the 1840s. He was a passionate abolitionist, and extremely eloquent about it. One of his congregants was another of my heroes, Louisa May Alcott.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 4 2014, 6:15am

Post #7 of 50 (307 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and "The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet" [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the companion piece to the amazing youtube and twitter series. I was impressed that it continues the genius of filling in bits of the story from different angles. It's not at all a novelization of the videos. It complements them the same way the twitter tweets did. I suppose it could stand alone, but if you only read it and didn't watch the videos, you'd miss a lot. And vice versa. I loved seeing Lizzie interact with her father, and her mother too in a more natural way than was depicted in the videos. I liked seeing the romance with Darcy unfold in San Francisco. It felt more natural than the videos too. And yet we miss most of what was happening with Lydia, because it's all from Lizzie's point of view. I continue to be blown away by this new way of telling a story. As I said in my amazon review, it reminds me of the experience of seeing a jpg slowly come into focus, as more and more details are added.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 4:50pm

Post #8 of 50 (276 views)
Shortcut
Seaflower [In reply to] Can't Post

Third in Julian Stockwin's Kydd series, about a sailor in Nelson's navy. This is shaping up to be the best series of the genre since Aubrey & Maturin.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2014, 8:36pm

Post #9 of 50 (268 views)
Shortcut
Having now finished Allegiant [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm more annoyed with Roth than ever: The last few chapters show how well she can write and plot, which makes all the previous writing feel even lazier.

She made a brave choice at the end - I'll be intrigued to see if the last film sticks with it or changes it.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 11:10pm

Post #10 of 50 (263 views)
Shortcut
Swine Not? [In reply to] Can't Post

by Jimmy Buffett. Not the usual Buffett fare, no islands, no boats or planes, no outlaws. A Tennessee family moves to NYC and hides their pet pot-belly pig in their apartment. Somehow, he makes it a better story than it ought to be.

squire
Half-elven

Jul 5 2014, 4:45am

Post #11 of 50 (293 views)
Shortcut
In my Puritan guise, Parker is a hero [In reply to] Can't Post

Betraying my Boston Yankee roots, I have a weakness for Parker's individualistic radicalism.

At other times, though, I think of his advocacy of a "higher law", and I remember the song of Sondheim's Sweeney Todd:
Freely flows
The blood of those
Who moralize.
The old Bostonian reformers had a problem with righteousness, which they never knew: they had it, and no one else did.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 5 2014, 2:51pm

Post #12 of 50 (253 views)
Shortcut
I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt the same way about JK Rowling & the Harry Potter books. But perhaps it just took that long for both writers to hit their stride/learn their craft?

Still, it's sloppy. A good editor could have helped both of them so much!

I have a friend who published a first novel that was poorly written - and pretty much sank without a trace. (I didn't dare say anything to her, she's a bit tetchy.) She planned on a trilogy. Fortunately, she figured it out for herself and instead of plowing on, hired a top-notch mystery editor who is teaching her the craft. She's rewritten the first novel entirely, and I'm very curious to read it now. Hopefully, it will soar.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 5 2014, 2:56pm

Post #13 of 50 (259 views)
Shortcut
DH Lawrence was on to that kind of person [In reply to] Can't Post

the first half of his book "Apocalypse" is all about the dangers of righteous thinking and where it can take people. Worth a read. (Odd book; the second half is his theories on the origins of the book of Revelation.)

Annael
Immortal

Jul 5 2014, 2:58pm

Post #14 of 50 (243 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the tip [In reply to] Can't Post

I will relay to my father & brother who have read all the Hornblower & Aubrey/Maturin books and need a new series.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 5 2014, 2:59pm

Post #15 of 50 (248 views)
Shortcut
sounds like one I need to get [In reply to] Can't Post

My set of the LBD finally arrived! You've seen the recent "post" videos on youtube, I assume?

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 6 2014, 1:30pm

Post #16 of 50 (234 views)
Shortcut
Yes indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did see the new videos. And I was amused to see that Caroline Lee (the character, not just the actress) appeared as Mrs. Elton on "Emma Approved", which meant that Bing Lee was in the photos of the engagement party. The fans kind of engineered that: there was a twitter campaign for Caroline to be Mrs. Elton. We're hoping, since Emma is a wedding planner among other things, that the finale will include planning a wedding for Lizzie.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 6 2014, 6:19pm

Post #17 of 50 (251 views)
Shortcut
Wow, I'm speechless. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really surprised that you would characterize a passionate opposition to slavery as "self-righteous", as though slavery were one of those topics on which right-thinking people might politely disagree. Parker was arrested for keeping fugitive slaves in his home, and he used his eloquence to try to save fellow human beings from being sent back into slavery after they had escaped to Boston. I'm in danger of self-righteousness myself, I'm well aware, but I thought slavery was pretty clear as a moral issue. As they say on the internets, that has totally destroyed my ability to even.

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 6 2014, 7:35pm

Post #18 of 50 (247 views)
Shortcut
Confused [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless I'm missing something, squire didn't mention opposition to slavery as something he disagrees with. Of course, he can speak for himself, but I read his post as seeing both benefits and dangers, in self-righteousness in general - nothing specific about Parker's, or his peers', causes. I think that may be reading too much into his comments. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

squire
Half-elven

Jul 6 2014, 7:49pm

Post #19 of 50 (255 views)
Shortcut
No offense meant [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just that the abolitionists remind me of the radical anti-abortionists, among other historical extremists: I hear the same rhetorical style, and see the same inability to admit the other side consists of human beings much like oneself, and squirm at the same insistence that direct and illegal action is the only right course to be taken in the face of a moral outrage.

Of course slavery is 'pretty clear as a moral issue' -- to us. As I said, Parker's clarity and determination appeals to part of me, too. But if things had been that clear in the 1850s, there would have been no slavery in the first place. Otherwise we must insist and teach our children that tens of millions of white Americans at that time, in the North and the South -- most of them polite, right-thinking church-going people -- were fundamentally immoral because they weren't, as only a tiny minority were, abolitionists.

This is, of course, an ancient and honorable debate: can we and should we judge the men and women of the past by our standards, or by theirs? It's not a no-brainer; I've read smart and eloquent arguments for both sides. If we judge by our own standards, we risk being judged to our own discredit by the future. But if we don't, we risk abdicating our own sense of the rightness of our ways of thinking and living.

This stuff makes for excellent history classes, by the way; a lot better than memorizing the details of the Compromise of 1850 and the terms of its Fugitive Slave Act, a federal law that Parker deliberately broke in the spirit of Thoreau's 'moral disobedience' and Seward's 'higher law'.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

Annael
Immortal

Jul 6 2014, 8:27pm

Post #20 of 50 (247 views)
Shortcut
it's not about the rightness of the cause [In reply to] Can't Post

it's about fanaticism in any form, which to me means the person has become personally identified with the cause to the point that their own behavior becomes extreme. One can work for a worthy cause without losing one's identity to it. If a person doesn't have a boundary between them and their issue, or in other words a sense of "this is what I personally can do about this problem," then there's a tendency to think "this problem is SO important and SO huge that everyone must join me in fighting it!"

As an example, a few years ago a friend got caught up in an effort to stop the local paper mill from burning "biofuels" -- which can include treated wood, animal feces, & a bunch of other stuff that would go into the air we breathe. Fine. Good cause. But it became ALL she could talk about. I ran into her at the store once and it took me two hours to get away again. And I'm on her side! She has become a fanatic, and most of her former friends avoid her as a result. Is she doing her cause any good, now?

So it's not about being "reasonable" about an important cause; it's about being reasonable about one's own behavior and how one is coming across to others. Personally, I don't think guilt-tripping or brow-beating people is the way to go. But I've found it's useless to try to tell a fanatic that they are undercutting their own effectiveness by such tactics. They don't care. In fact, I suspect that what is really going on is that they are so emotionally invested in the issue that talking about it and yelling about it offers them a form of catharsis that is (unconsciously) the most important thing to them. They're more interested in venting their anger, in other words, than anything else.

(This post was edited by Annael on Jul 6 2014, 8:28pm)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 6 2014, 10:46pm

Post #21 of 50 (243 views)
Shortcut
I love the Chalion Series! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I have ever read an author that makes me physically feel like I'm standing in the shoes of the character. There is a paragraph...

"THE TOWN OF VALENDA TUMBLED DOWN OVER ITS low hill like a rich quilt worked in red and gold, red for the tile roofs, gold for the native stone, both glowing in the sun. Cazaril blinked at the dazzle of color in his blurring eyes, the familiar hues of his homeland. The houses of Ibra were all whitewashed, too bright in their hot northern noons, bleached and blinding. This ochre sandstone was the perfect shade for a house, a town, a country—a caress upon the eyes. At the top of the hill, like a golden crown in truth, the Provincara’s castle sprawled, its curtain walls seeming to waver in his vision. He stared at it, daunted, for a little, then slogged onward, his steps somehow going faster than he’d been able to push them all this long journey, despite the shaking, aching weariness of his legs." Bujold, Lois McMaster (2009-10-13). The Curse of Chalion (Kindle Locations 207-211). Harper Collins, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

I am still in awe of that paragraph.

I met her once briefly at the National Book Fair on the Mall in DC in 2013. I got up the nerve to ask a question during her talk and then waited in line to have my book signed. When asked about how she goes about writing such tight 3rd party narrative, she talked about sitting down and doing it. No special preparation, no insight into a character with a specific analysis. She is completely unaware of how she does it. A friend of mine who I consider one of the most accomplished people I know (Cornell undergrad, Johns Hopkins PhD in Astrophysics, publisher and one the short list for MarsOne) interviewed her for an online literary magazine/website and managed only just to keep her fangirlishness under control.

When I grow up I want to write 1/2 as well as her. OK, I'll settle for 1/3 as well...

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Annael
Immortal

Jul 7 2014, 12:14am

Post #22 of 50 (217 views)
Shortcut
I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

You really feel you are there every moment.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2014, 12:32am

Post #23 of 50 (234 views)
Shortcut
Just putting this out there and walking away [In reply to] Can't Post

I know you're not defending slave owners, but isn't it possible that those "polite, right-thinking, church-going people" didn't want to question the morality of slavery because by not doing so, they could continue to live in a manner they would not have been able to afford if they had had to pay workers. Seeing your slaves as fellow humans, equal in the eyes of God, deserving of decent pay and living conditions, makes it harder to enjoy those mint juleps.

Maybe the abolishonists could see what the slave owners couldn't because they weren't blinded by complacency and greed. Of course the followers of John Brown went too far, but abolishonists in general were not just self-righteous busy-bodies.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Only when we stop stopping our lives can we begin to start starting them. - Prof. Whitman, Community

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jul 7 2014, 12:34am)

squire
Half-elven

Jul 7 2014, 1:46am

Post #24 of 50 (232 views)
Shortcut
Well, you're exactly right [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I thought I had made it clear I was talking about, not just the slave-owners, but the entire white population of the U.S. at the time -- all of whom benefited directly from slavery and the cotton economy, which was a mainstay of America's power and prosperity. As you say, to question slavery was to question the existing economic and material order. Had you or I lived then as whites, we would have had to decide for or against abolition no matter where we lived or what we did for a living.

My point about the difficulty of judging our forefathers, almost all of whom saw abolition as an unacceptably radical form of extremism, is that it leads us to ask the same question about ourselves. How many of us today don't choose to question the morality of any number of existing social conventions, just so we can "continue to live in a manner we would not be able to afford"?

Social justice. It's not just about mint juleps. It's this world as it is, versus this world as we know it should be.

So the rub is the threshold of acceptable action to take if one feels this way. You say "of course the followers of John Brown went too far." In the context of this topic, we should note that Rev. Theodore Parker was one of the "Secret Six", the abolitionists who funded Brown's effort to start a bloody slave rebellion in the South, slaughtering as many white slaveowners as necessary. Did they go too far? I've read many 'revisionist' apologies for John Brown written in our own time, justifying his plot as the only possible and moral response to American slavery.

I cower at the choices the people of that time were confronted with.

squire online:

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 7 2014, 2:38am

Post #25 of 50 (204 views)
Shortcut
Mutiny [In reply to] Can't Post

4th in Stockwin's Kydd series. It's 1797 and Kydd finds himself at the center of the great mutiny in The Nore, torn between loyalty to shipmates and duty to king and country. Another page turner. Good thing the library has the whole series.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.