Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why did they scale Bolg down in Legolas fight?

NateGate
Rivendell

Jul 4 2014, 1:37am

Post #1 of 14 (3630 views)
Shortcut
Why did they scale Bolg down in Legolas fight? Can't Post

Bolg and Azog are usually 7'1 feet tall, making them absolutely massive. Lawrence Makoare, Bolg’s motion capture actor, is only 6’4, almost an entire foot under Bolg’s real size. However, the editors were easily able to scale Bolg up to Azog’s size using CGI editing. They did the same thing with the Dwarves, Bilbo, and Beorn. They scaled Beorn’s actor (6’2) to over 8 feet tall using the CGI backrounds.

Now, during the Bolg vs Legolas scene they were unable to scale up Lawrence to his height of 7’1 since he was making contact with a non-cgi character. If you pay attention during the fight, he is about 6’4 in comparison to Legolas (Orlando Bloom is 5’10). He is big without a doubt, but I think they should have used Conan Stevens, Bolg’s original actor who is 7’1, for the motion capture in this scene. He would have been able to more truly epitomize Bolg’s massive size in comparison to Legolas.

Doubtless Bolg was truly terrifying in this scene, but I still think he would have seemed more powerful had he been his true height. The difference between 6’4 and 7’1 is HUGE.

What do you think?

Size matters...
http://37.media.tumblr.com/00bbfb5c354255e11cd8386374b03bbe/tumblr_n5p4jtJVNT1siq18no1_1280.jpg

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 3:07am

Post #2 of 14 (2802 views)
Shortcut
It could be [In reply to] Can't Post

that Conan Stevens may not have been available for shooting. It's not like there's a ton of 7'1" actors out there, especially ones that are beefed up enough to play Bolg convincingly- most really tall guys I've noticed are pretty skinny.

Plus, too much variation in body type or facial structure would have been problematic in motion capture- if you look at Andy Serkis in the vlogs, his face is literally COVERED in the motion capture dots. I doubt they would have been able to use the same person for both shots with that kind of facial recognition software.

And the fight itself was pretty intense- you would need an actor able to dedicate the time and have the physical stamina enough to be able to complete the whole scene- and given the amount of variation in the shots and the complex choreography, I would be willing to bet it probably took at least a couple of days to be shot in full.

Plus, isn't Stevens in Portland right now shooting something? I remember Ferny on here saying something about that (he's part of the cast) a while back.

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Jul 4 2014, 3:10am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2014, 6:07am

Post #3 of 14 (2714 views)
Shortcut
how do you know it was Conan Stevens originally? [In reply to] Can't Post

this fight could have been added when they decided to have a middle film plus if this was Azog again wouldn't it be a little repetitive? AUJ ends with a one-on-one fight between Azog and Thorin and DOS ends with a one-on-one fight between Azog and Legolas? I like that it was Bolg not Azog, both sons of powerful leaders in middle-earth.

The flames of war are upon you..

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2014, 6:11am

Post #4 of 14 (2707 views)
Shortcut
most tall guys are skinny? [In reply to] Can't Post

really? is The Rock skinny? is Vin Diesel skinny? is Viggo skinny? Orlando Bloom is in good shape and not skinny, there's lots of short guys out there that are skinny too. Tall doesn't equal skinny in my book.

NateGate
Rivendell

Jul 4 2014, 2:37pm

Post #5 of 14 (2623 views)
Shortcut
Those aren't TALL, also look closely [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a difference between the guys you mentioned and a guy who is 7'1. I am 6'1, taller than Vin Diesel, which is pretty tall. Now imagine 7'1, a foot above me, it's absolutely HUGE. Only a small handful of guys are that big, and most of them are in fact skinny, because it's harder to put on muscle when you are more lank.

But I fail to see how a muscular actor even matters, as Azog's mo-cap actor is a shrimpy little guy, and Lawrence is no where near as muscular as Bolg. CGI takes care of the muscle, they just need a guy with a frame of 7'1. If you look closely before and after the fight, Bolg is huge before the fight, towering over his other orcs and even the warg riders. Then he shrinks during the fight to 6'4, and if you look VERY closely, right after he throws Legolas into his orcs and retreats, the camera pans to make him return to his original height again, absolutely dwarfing Legolas.

Size matters...
http://37.media.tumblr.com/00bbfb5c354255e11cd8386374b03bbe/tumblr_n5p4jtJVNT1siq18no1_1280.jpg

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 7:18pm

Post #6 of 14 (2581 views)
Shortcut
Erm, I'm confused [In reply to] Can't Post

as to the tall guys being skinny, I understand that there are some and some that aren't. I will grant you that one.

As for the actor, correct me if I'm wrong, but I never said that Azog should fight Legolas, and I'm really confused as to why you think I did.

Manu Bennett played Azog. Conan Stevens was originally cast to play Bolg, but when they went CGI motion capture they changed it and went with Lawrence Makoare, unless I'm mistaken.

What I was saying is that the scaling for Bolg in other scenes made him about 7 foot 1, according to the OP. But during the Legolas fight, he clearly wasn't 15 inches taller than Legolas, but rather only six (because the actors themselves are only six inches apart in height). The person asked why they couldn't have used Conan, as he is 7 foot 1, rather than Lawrence, and I said that their facial structure was different, as was their bodily shape, because they aren't the same person. And when motion capture is done, it wouldn't have matched up. And I also thought that Conan was shooting something else in Portland right now, and thus wasn't available anyway. And it might have been a bit more difficult to scale Bolg to Legolas in such a complicated choreographed fight.

I said nothing about Manu Bennett or Azog. Hence my confusion at your statement.

TnuaccayM
Bree

Jul 5 2014, 2:01am

Post #7 of 14 (2527 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't really matter [In reply to] Can't Post

Most people who watch the film don't know that he is supposed to be a 7 foot orc. We know it because we have heard and read every description there is about there characters, but most people don't. The idea is to make them look bigger than ordinary orcs, and I think everyone who watched the films gets the message. And not even Azog appears to be a 7 foot orc. In his confrontation with Gandalf they ar both more or less the same height. It would have been extremely weird to have a 7 foot Bolg fighting with a normal size legolas and make the fight look realistic without any exagerated moves.
And the whole idea was to prove that Bolg is a strong and intelligent orc who is able to beat up Legolas, and the made their point. Forget when they said the 7 foot thing, and just enjoy watching good fights with these big, but not too big orcs :) And as for whoever was fighting with Legolas, I don't thing a 7 foot man would make a good fight. I used to watch wrestling, and everytime they got a 7 foot wrestler I knew it was going to be a boring fight. Not interesting nor thrilling at all.

And in some ways that that we see in the movie stays true to Tolkiens writings, because if I remember well Azog was just as tall as a normal man, nothing about 7 foot orcs.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2014, 2:06am

Post #8 of 14 (2521 views)
Shortcut
you're wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

Conan Stevens was originally going to play Azog but he ended up playing Bolg in live-action. PJ decided to motion capture Bolg and Conan Stevens was unable to reprise the role because of his health. You said Azog in you're original post, Azog going up against Legolas.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2014, 2:10am

Post #9 of 14 (2524 views)
Shortcut
sorry, you're right i was referring to the OP [In reply to] Can't Post

Conan Stevens shot himself in the foot when he turned down The Mountain in Game of Thrones for Azog/Bolg, Bolg was removed and replaced with motion capture and it was a different actor. His entire performance was erased and he would have been a way better Mountain than this new guy.

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 5 2014, 5:58am

Post #10 of 14 (2490 views)
Shortcut
thanks for acknowledging that I wasn't incorrect [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate it Smile I didn't think I got it wrong...

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2014, 6:13am

Post #11 of 14 (2505 views)
Shortcut
they did try to use Conan Stevens again [In reply to] Can't Post

he was unable to due to health reasons.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 5 2014, 10:19am

Post #12 of 14 (2480 views)
Shortcut
because legolas is meant to be tall also, [In reply to] Can't Post

as tall as a young tree according to Tolkien, however tall that is.

Crikey, compared to that statement the whole balrogs wings debate is clear cut.

NateGate
Rivendell

Jul 5 2014, 5:04pm

Post #13 of 14 (2449 views)
Shortcut
I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

Height doesn't matter to short people because everything is big in comparison to them.....lol jk!

But seriously, the thing that makes Azog and Bolg so scary to even us big guys is that they are massive even in comparison to us. The biggest guy at the gym couldn't stand head to head with them. Both of them are obviously 7'1, as they are a good foot above even the bigger orcs. Azog was 2 feet above Yazneg, who was at least 5 feet tall.
And no, Azog WAS taller than Gandalf, a whole head/foot taller. I think the fight would have been more intense if Bolg was his full height, it would have been a less quick hand-to-hand style of fighting. Bolg would have overpowered him, imagine him hammering Legolas down to his knees with explosive blows from his bat instead of just parrying his attacks. Then he would have thrown him around in a much more gargantuan fashion than he did when he was shrunk. It would have done more to support Bolg's true size and ferocity, and create greater respect for him. And wrestling is a bad comparison, it looks boring and fake no matter who is fighting, because WWE is all set-up.
7 foot Orcs are scarier, that's all there is to it.

Size matters...

TnuaccayM
Bree

Jul 7 2014, 2:03pm

Post #14 of 14 (2389 views)
Shortcut
Well, you might be right about Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

But now that I look at Bolg again, why think that he' been scaled down? Just think that Legolas is a tall elf and done :D
And I would say that thorin is usually scaled down, because in interviews Richard says that he is a tall dwarf almost 5 feet tall, and he looks smaller in the movies. And why the hell do we complain about it?, I think only Tolkien fans complain about how many inches tall are our beloved characters... Just enjoy the movies, these orcs are scary enogh like they are, and let's just be happy. Personally I think the didn't have to be so big, but its a matter of taste. In one year from now they will be complaining about beorn being only 1 foot taller than Bolg... xD We just have to know they are tall, men and elves normal, and dwarves and hobbits smaller :D

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.