Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why did they scale Bolg down in Legolas fight?

NateGate
The Shire

Jul 4, 1:37am

Views: 887
Shortcut
Why did they scale Bolg down in Legolas fight? Can't Post

Bolg and Azog are usually 7'1 feet tall, making them absolutely massive. Lawrence Makoare, Bolg’s motion capture actor, is only 6’4, almost an entire foot under Bolg’s real size. However, the editors were easily able to scale Bolg up to Azog’s size using CGI editing. They did the same thing with the Dwarves, Bilbo, and Beorn. They scaled Beorn’s actor (6’2) to over 8 feet tall using the CGI backrounds.

Now, during the Bolg vs Legolas scene they were unable to scale up Lawrence to his height of 7’1 since he was making contact with a non-cgi character. If you pay attention during the fight, he is about 6’4 in comparison to Legolas (Orlando Bloom is 5’10). He is big without a doubt, but I think they should have used Conan Stevens, Bolg’s original actor who is 7’1, for the motion capture in this scene. He would have been able to more truly epitomize Bolg’s massive size in comparison to Legolas.

Doubtless Bolg was truly terrifying in this scene, but I still think he would have seemed more powerful had he been his true height. The difference between 6’4 and 7’1 is HUGE.

What do you think?

Size matters...
http://37.media.tumblr.com/00bbfb5c354255e11cd8386374b03bbe/tumblr_n5p4jtJVNT1siq18no1_1280.jpg

Subject User Time
Why did they scale Bolg down in Legolas fight? NateGate Send a private message to NateGate Jul 4, 1:37am
    It could be Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Jul 4, 3:07am
        how do you know it was Conan Stevens originally? MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Jul 4, 6:07am
            Erm, I'm confused Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Jul 4, 7:18pm
                you're wrong MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Jul 5, 2:06am
        most tall guys are skinny? MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Jul 4, 6:11am
            Those aren't TALL, also look closely NateGate Send a private message to NateGate Jul 4, 2:37pm
        sorry, you're right i was referring to the OP MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Jul 5, 2:10am
            thanks for acknowledging that I wasn't incorrect Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Jul 5, 5:58am
    It doesn't really matter TnuaccayM Send a private message to TnuaccayM Jul 5, 2:01am
        I disagree NateGate Send a private message to NateGate Jul 5, 5:04pm
            Well, you might be right about Azog TnuaccayM Send a private message to TnuaccayM Jul 7, 2:03pm
    they did try to use Conan Stevens again MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Jul 5, 6:13am
    because legolas is meant to be tall also, ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Jul 5, 10:19am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.