Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which region in the world do you hail from? How about which country?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Which region in the world do you hail from? How about which country?
Northeastern Europe
Western Europe
Middle east
Western Asia
Eastern Asia
Australia
North America
South America/central America
Pacific Islands
Africa
New Zealand
View Results (113 votes)

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 3 2014, 9:08pm

Post #1 of 68 (1514 views)
Shortcut
Which region in the world do you hail from? How about which country? Can't Post

I am just curious, as the sheer diversity of culture and location of the members of TORn is fascinating. I have always loved exploring other cultures and customs, and so I was curious where all the tornsibs hail from Smile

Just pick your region for the poll, and, if you prefer, your country in the comments Smile Mostly because it was a lot easier to confine poll results to geographical regions, rather than list all the countries in the world lol Tongue And if you've moved a lot, feel free to list multiple countries! Cool

I am from Idaho, United States, North America Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 3 2014, 9:11pm

Post #2 of 68 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Born and raised in WNY // [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 3 2014, 9:45pm

Post #3 of 68 (1025 views)
Shortcut
Northeastern Europe [In reply to] Can't Post

From a teeny-tiny country called Estonia.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 3 2014, 10:38pm

Post #4 of 68 (1013 views)
Shortcut
USA - Kansas // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 4 2014, 1:06am

Post #5 of 68 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Cereal City Michigander turned Minneapolitan // [In reply to] Can't Post

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 1:34am

Post #6 of 68 (991 views)
Shortcut
USA, usually in New England, preferable Maine when I can get out of Massachusetts. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 1:36am

Post #7 of 68 (995 views)
Shortcut
cereal city? [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2014, 2:21am

Post #8 of 68 (992 views)
Shortcut
LOL! I got out of Massachusetts and went to Connecticut! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hubby is also from Mass. - the BerkSHIRE Hills. Wink

We met at college in Maine, and job-hunting led us to the northern shore of Long Island Sound. To Avalonia - the bedrock far beneath my feet was in eons past joined with that upon which Tolkien would take his walks. Cool

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2014, 2:45am

Post #9 of 68 (980 views)
Shortcut
Me too!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 4 2014, 2:57am

Post #10 of 68 (990 views)
Shortcut
ah, the smell of roasting grain in the air [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA5DTejequw

Battle Creek was the birth place of Kellogg's and Post cereals. The history of Battle Creek and cereal is fascinating and it's connected with Seventh Day Adventists.

Needless to say, lots of stuff in BC is named after either the Kellogg or the Post family. I played in the Post Community Band and went to Kellogg Community College, also known as Cornflake U.

Growing up, lots of tv shows were sponsored by Battle Creek and they'd often say, "Brought to you by Kellogg's of Battle Creek."

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 3:01am

Post #11 of 68 (996 views)
Shortcut
ah ok- I was confused for a minute there [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Makes sense now Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 4 2014, 5:56am

Post #12 of 68 (971 views)
Shortcut
Christchurch, New Zealand. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 4 2014, 6:20am

Post #13 of 68 (990 views)
Shortcut
Northern Colorado, USA [In reply to] Can't Post

I was actually born in Michigan, because my dad was in grad school at the time. But my grandmother was born in Denver, and my grandfather in Cheyenne, and I grew up from age 3 on about halfway in between. I'd feel pretty unsettled if I couldn't see Longs Peak every day. I have no idea how people can tell what direction they're facing if they can't see the mountains. We head up there most weekends. Last weekend

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 4 2014, 6:22am

Post #14 of 68 (985 views)
Shortcut
My mom used to call me a "Michigosling". :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 4 2014, 7:02am

Post #15 of 68 (985 views)
Shortcut
From? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, ok, US. I was born in North Carolina and grew up in Virginia. I have lived for extended periods in Oak Ridge, TN; Berkeley, CA; Tucson, AZ; Hermosa Beach, CA (LA area); and am now in Honolulu, HI.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 4 2014, 7:09am

Post #16 of 68 (1004 views)
Shortcut
Facing which direction? [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting observation! I grew up on the East Coast of the US (NC and VA). As an adult I moved to CA, and for years I had trouble telling directions because I kept feeling like the ocean was --> this way, when in fact it was <-- that way.

Of course, when you live on a small island in the middle of a very large ocean, the sea is all around. In Hawaii, folks don't given directions as NSEW, but "makai" (towards the ocean) or "mauka" (towards the mountains) and towards some landmark (Diamond Head, Koko Head, Ewa town, etc.).

But it's even worse going to the Southern Hemisphere, which I have 3 times, now. Everyone knows (i.e., I was programmed to know) that the sun is in the Southern sky moving left-to-right, yes? When you're in a place when the sun is in the Northern sky moving right-to-left, it's impossible to find your way anywhere. Lost all the time! But they were wonderful trips, and I hope for more.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jul 4 2014, 7:14am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2014, 7:29am

Post #17 of 68 (986 views)
Shortcut
I know the feeling [In reply to] Can't Post

Whenever I visited my mom in Samoa I was permanantly turned around. The sun rose in the west and set in the east. Though I knew we were on the northern shore of the island, I felt in my bones that we were facing south. So disconcerting. Tongue

BTW, I love Hawaii's mauka and makai system, so straight forward.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 7:40am

Post #18 of 68 (980 views)
Shortcut
Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Though in the last four years I have mainly lived in the USA and the UK.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jul 4 2014, 7:43am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2014, 7:41am

Post #19 of 68 (974 views)
Shortcut
Home base is Oooklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plain [In reply to] Can't Post

But I was born in Arizona, then lived in California until I was five when we moved to the Tulsa area. I've been fortunate to live in Samoa (well, I stayed with my mom and step-dad for extended periods), Hawaii, New Mexico, and Poland.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jul 4 2014, 7:49am

Post #20 of 68 (985 views)
Shortcut
Greece [In reply to] Can't Post

in the city of Thessaloniki(Salonica)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2014, 9:34am

Post #21 of 68 (973 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmpf, that is difficult! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am from the United States, but ...

Born in Los Angeles, California; but lived in Tuscan and Douglas, Arizona; Carlsbad, New Mexico; Sioux Falls and Aberdeen, South Dakota; Pipestone, Minnesota; and now in rural east-central Ohio.

I lived in lots of places in California -- all up and down the coast; lived for a few months in Ciudad Obregon, Mexico; and of course traveled back and forth between the Southwest and upper Midwest.

Thankfully, though, I now live a stable and boring life. I have been in Ohio for just under 45 years. I guess the place I chose for myself is where I am happiest.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2014, 1:53pm

Post #22 of 68 (960 views)
Shortcut
"Michigosling"! That's cute! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Glassary
Rivendell

Jul 4 2014, 3:19pm

Post #23 of 68 (956 views)
Shortcut
New Jersey USA [In reply to] Can't Post

Born and raised in New Jersey in the US.
LOL the commuter zone outside on New York City.
Have lived in upstate New York (Saranac Lake area) and Las Vegas, Nevada.

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Jul 4 2014, 4:34pm

Post #24 of 68 (942 views)
Shortcut
Northeast US [In reply to] Can't Post

Born and raised on Long Island, NY now in Maine Smile

Annael
Immortal

Jul 4 2014, 4:45pm

Post #25 of 68 (943 views)
Shortcut
Ecotopia [In reply to] Can't Post

(always agreed with the idea that really, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia belong together, not just geographically but because of similar mindsets.)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.