Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Book spoiler: How Brutal will Beorns mauling of Bolg be?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

boldog
Rohan

Jul 2 2014, 8:52am

Post #1 of 26 (1554 views)
Shortcut
Book spoiler: How Brutal will Beorns mauling of Bolg be? Can't Post

I always imagined this scene to be quite brutal in the book. I wonder now, how PJ will capture it though. Will he make Bolg be torn to pieces? Will he have his face half ripped off? How extreme do you think PJ will go with this?
One way I thought it might be done, without being too extreme, is simply have Beorn jump at him on a clifftop, and throwing him off, to be killed by the fall or perhaps impaled by a spear below. OR, could Bolg be mauled enough so that he can stay alive to have some last words with daddy?
Crazy

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

(This post was edited by boldog on Jul 2 2014, 9:02am)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 2 2014, 8:59am

Post #2 of 26 (1099 views)
Shortcut
Might want a spoiler alert [In reply to] Can't Post

To answer the question. Both characters are (fairly unconvincing) CGI so whatever happens in terms of brutality, it isn't going to have a huge amount of impact anyway imo.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Jul 2 2014, 9:02am)

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 2 2014, 9:09am

Post #3 of 26 (1061 views)
Shortcut
The spoiler warning does not really work... [In reply to] Can't Post

... when the actual spoiler comes just after it in the title line Wink

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 2 2014, 9:12am

Post #4 of 26 (1072 views)
Shortcut
Agree and disagree. [In reply to] Can't Post

I disagree on the unconvincing CGI but agree that this scene will depend largely on whether one likes the look and feel of the characters or not.

I found Bolg to be a great CGI creation and an example of why and when it is better to have CGI instead of prosthetics.

I hope for it to be a very physical fight... where you can feel the weight and power of the two characters colliding. No gore needed.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jul 2 2014, 9:13am)

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Jul 2 2014, 11:42am

Post #5 of 26 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Considering the battles have been bloodless so far [In reply to] Can't Post

I would imagine not very brutal.

* crunch *

Noria
Gondor

Jul 2 2014, 12:15pm

Post #6 of 26 (1003 views)
Shortcut
I agree. The PG-13 rating in the U.S. [In reply to] Can't Post

will determine the level of violence, so there will be nothing too gory I suspect.

Name
Rohan

Jul 2 2014, 2:05pm

Post #7 of 26 (928 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping for a beheading [In reply to] Can't Post

Like what was done to Thror.

Might be more fitting for Azog, but I want it done by Beorn. Will look much cooler that way Wink.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 2 2014, 3:02pm

Post #8 of 26 (923 views)
Shortcut
Azog and Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
OR, could Bolg be mauled enough so that he can stay alive to have some last words with daddy?

Oh, I think that Azog will already be dead by then, slain by either Thorin or Dain. I like the way Bolg's demise was related in the book.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

tsmith675
Gondor

Jul 2 2014, 3:44pm

Post #9 of 26 (894 views)
Shortcut
Unconvincing CGI? Nahhh. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to disagree completely on that point.

Our destiny lies above us.

tsmith675
Gondor

Jul 2 2014, 3:45pm

Post #10 of 26 (906 views)
Shortcut
Blood =/= brutality.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Jul 2 2014, 3:51pm

Post #11 of 26 (876 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hard to imagine a brutal death at the hands of a bear that doesn't involve a bit of the old claret.

* crunch *

tsmith675
Gondor

Jul 2 2014, 4:09pm

Post #12 of 26 (885 views)
Shortcut
I agree, I want some blood too. But I'm just saying... [In reply to] Can't Post

It has to be handled right either way. I mean, during the barrel scene when Bolg crushed that one elf, that was pretty brutal. That wasn't a bloody scene. I want to see a little blood too, but, as long as it's handled well either way, I'll be happy.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2014, 6:12pm

Post #13 of 26 (871 views)
Shortcut
Do we know if this is going to happen? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Name
Rohan

Jul 2 2014, 6:33pm

Post #14 of 26 (850 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so, no. [In reply to] Can't Post

We just assume he'll kill Bolg. But there's already an established history between Azog and Beorn (Azog enslaved Beorn's family, maybe even Beorn himself). So there's actually many possibilities for who kills who.

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 2 2014, 6:48pm

Post #15 of 26 (853 views)
Shortcut
Bolg has bear paws on his shoulders... [In reply to] Can't Post

...so that could be foreshadowing...

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jul 3 2014, 12:31am

Post #16 of 26 (813 views)
Shortcut
Cuff round the ear and a bit of a telling off, I'd imagine. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bolg with then see the error of his ways. After all it's not really his fault - he's been brought up wrong.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jul 3 2014, 3:20am

Post #17 of 26 (788 views)
Shortcut
Er, Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

will see the error of his ways - I should have said. Forgot to proof-read me post.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 3 2014, 6:18am

Post #18 of 26 (780 views)
Shortcut
And if Bolg talks back, he'd receive a fatal backpaw to the face // [In reply to] Can't Post

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

Vepariga
The Shire

Jul 3 2014, 10:11am

Post #19 of 26 (741 views)
Shortcut
PJ likes his splatter [In reply to] Can't Post

so I think Bolg will meet a fitting demise. probably brutalish.

- Vep - Guardsman of the woodland realm of Mirkwood -

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jul 3 2014, 12:37pm

Post #20 of 26 (744 views)
Shortcut
Seriously, though [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope they don't play up the father-son thing too much. Orcs are supposed to be wholly evil - any redeeming features bred out of them. There's plenty of room for good/evil grey areas in the rest of the ME inhabitants. The only reason Azog/Bolg should be upset at the death of the other, is pride, or from Azog's perspective anger that something he's made has been destroyed. In fact Azog could be seen as the stereotypical Victorian military dad, who sends his son into slaughter to enhance his own glory. If PJ - or more likely - PB puts any gooey stuff in there, I for one shall stand up and shout Humbug! at the screen. That'll teach them.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2014, 8:11pm

Post #21 of 26 (696 views)
Shortcut
How do we even know that Beorn will be the one to kill Bolg? [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson's created a bit of a rivalry between Bolg and Legolas, and apparently Legolas having a huge role and character development is very important to Jackson, Boyens, et al. So I really would not be surprised if Legolas ends up killing Bolg.

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Jul 3 2014, 11:52pm

Post #22 of 26 (690 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it's not out of the question [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's not forget what Jackson wrote on Bloom's last day of shooting:

"What a great day it was, with Orlando battling a serious Orc for all 12 hours of shooting -- part of the Battle of the 5 Armies for the third 'Hobbit' movie."

The orc in question could very well be Bolg, especially after that little fight they had in DoS. I'd love it if Azog was killed by Dain and then Bolg by Beorn, but we can't say that's how it'll work out. What Jackson has planned will be revealed in time.

Of course, if Bolg and Legolas do fight, that's not to say Legolas would necessarily have to win. Maybe Bolg actually wins, or he could distract Legolas with one or two of his bodyguards (if they end up being in the film) while he goes off to fight the dwarves.

peterLF
Rivendell

Jul 4 2014, 10:22am

Post #23 of 26 (674 views)
Shortcut
Bolg/Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog is pretty clearly being set up for the role Bolg had in the book - and Bolg seems to be something Legolas takes care of. No doubt there will be a revenge-rage-thing in there when the first one dies (which could be what enables Azog to wound the dwarves as he's supposed to), but due to the way the characters are set up with each their nemesis and focus, I find it VERY difficult to see Bolg being the leader come the battle. Both will die in the last third of the movie, and Azog will probably be the last one to go.

Name
Rohan

Jul 4 2014, 1:11pm

Post #24 of 26 (676 views)
Shortcut
That quote scares me [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want Legolas to do anything major. Definitely not kill Bolg.

I agree with the poster above me. Azog is the main orc in these movies, and I have a feeling he will be the one killed by Beorn. It would have the most shock effect, and would mean that Thorin doesn't get to kill Azog (which is good IMO).

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2014, 8:32pm

Post #25 of 26 (676 views)
Shortcut
Azog really should be killed by Dain... [In reply to] Can't Post

IMHO, giving Dain something noteworthy to do before he becomes King under the Mountain would be the absolute only justifiable reason for keeping Azog alive for the movies.

Let Beorn kill Bolg while he's rampaging, like he does in the book. There really is no good reason to change that. Allowing Legolas to do it just because Jackson wants Legolas to have a major kill is definitely not a good enough reason.

And I have to disagree about Azog being the main Orc. He absolutely was in AUJ (much to the chagrin of myself and many other people), but Bolg was much more of a presence in DoS.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.