No
View Results (34 votes)

Annael
Immortal

Jul 2 2014, 3:05pm

Post #1 of 27 (679 views)
Shortcut
do you "give back"? Can't Post

the political identification thread below had a tangent about giving to charities, and it got me wondering about volunteerism. I'm an inveterate volunteer; I couldn't possibly figure out how many hours I've given to our local animal shelter; tree-planting, trail-building, and other ecological efforts; women & child health clinics; my church; my chorale . . . the list is long. I started in high school & never stopped.

What's your level of volunteerism? Tell us more about how & where you volunteer if you like.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 2 2014, 3:30pm

Post #2 of 27 (487 views)
Shortcut
I used to [In reply to] Can't Post

from the time my oldest son entered pre-school till my youngest one was in third grade, I volunteered in their classroom on a weekly basis. Sometimes I did craft activities. Sometimes I tutored in reading and math.

I also taught folk dance for nothing so I guess that was volunteering. :-)

I think my life in many ways changed about 10 years ago and volunteering hasn't been a part of it.

We don't give a lot but we give here and there, mostly to the arts on a community level.

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 2 2014, 4:41pm

Post #3 of 27 (489 views)
Shortcut
difficult to answer with the available responses [In reply to] Can't Post

difficult to answer with the available responses.

for example, when i was starting my main career, i put everything on hold to commit to working for a group home for the developmentally disabled for a year. it wasn't strictly volunteer, i did get paid for it, but it was +not+ a career move. i was doing it +specifically+ because i wanted to do something altruistic in a big chunk / big committment for a year. my pay was cut by 2/3rds with this job, so it was no financial boon. i did it purely because i wanted to help.

i've also volunteered here and there -- animal shelter, equine therapy for the developmentally disabled and differently abled, etc..

i also am giving and very thoughtful with friends, family, and people in general. i don't always have a regular gig volunteering per week, but i've taken significant action to work it into my life.

cheers ---

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 2 2014, 5:45pm

Post #4 of 27 (481 views)
Shortcut
I have utterly "flunked" retirement! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even before I retired (in 2006) I sang in my church choir, participated in home-building programs in Mexico and Belize, and was on the board of a program for battered women.

Now I am the Treasurer of the (Episcopal) Cathedral of St. Andrew, which is a 10-hr/week job itself (we have a bookkeeper and good office manager, but there are checks to sign, meetings to attend, planning, ...). I also do various other things for the Cathedral (acolyte, usher, ...) and participate in various outreach programs, mainly in support of an elementary school in a very poor neighborhood and an agency that helps homeless families. Until last year I sang in the semi-professional Honolulu Symphony Chorus, and was on its Board of Directors. For the last 2 years I have been its Treasurer (and bookkeeper), but I am trying to phase out of that now.

I work harder than I did when I had a job, but it is very rewarding.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jul 2 2014, 5:48pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 2 2014, 5:49pm

Post #5 of 27 (463 views)
Shortcut
*paid* volunteer positions [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah... the initial question said volunteer but the available answers included charitable giving. So I would agree that taking a job at lower wages and/or career opportunities because you are dedicated to the work is one form of charitable giving.

For the whole 7 years I worked at the public schools (this job came after my years of volunteering), I purchased anywhere from 200-300 dollars a year in my own supplies. For me, it was my 'charitable' giving for the year.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2014, 5:50pm

Post #6 of 27 (476 views)
Shortcut
I do. [In reply to] Can't Post

I give to various charities as often as i can, especially when there's a crisis in another country or here at home, and support public radio and television on a continuing basis.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2014, 5:59pm

Post #7 of 27 (465 views)
Shortcut
I volunteer [In reply to] Can't Post

I have volunteered with:

Scouting - Advancement and training coordinator and den leader/recruitment chairCamp volunteer for Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts, Troop Leader/Troop committee/troop organizer/day camp leader for Girl Scouts

Elementary school (chorus accompanist, Junior Great Books leader, assembly program coordinator, library aide),

Middle School - chorus accompanist, classroom writing/editing volunteer),

High school - band aide Wink, Music booster)

I get called to chaperone many of the history-type trips because I love it so much I get the kids excited. We had one trip to Annapolis where the teacher had to come find my group. We were so busy exploring I lost track of the time. One the way out, the director of the historic home we were in tried to hire me on the spot! Laugh I still do most of the above, trading off one job for another in any given organization. I used to volunteer at church on the funeral luncheon committee and as a catechist but not anymore. I found my time better spent in the schools.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 2 2014, 7:16pm

Post #8 of 27 (465 views)
Shortcut
Other. [In reply to] Can't Post

I volunteer when opportunities arise but I could go months without being involved in something.

However whenever I clear out my books and DVDs to make room for more I take them to the local hospice shop so they can put the proceeds to good use.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 2 2014, 10:00pm

Post #9 of 27 (465 views)
Shortcut
Other [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty selfish about my time, since I leave the house at 7 AM and get home at 6 PM. So I don't volunteer my time. But I do give blood, which only takes a minimal amount of time, but maybe counts a little bit. And I give money to several causes I support.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2014, 10:17pm

Post #10 of 27 (482 views)
Shortcut
uh... I know another place you volunteer. In fact, all the Modars volunteer at this place [In reply to] Can't Post

Here.

Don't underestimate the value of that bit of volunteering. I don't think I speak only for myself when I say that this place is somewhere I love to come to unwind but it wouldn't be here without the volunteer efforts of many folks. Some of us need places like this because we can't find them physically where we are. I'm pretty sure none of you are getting paid a living wage to do what you do, but for those of us who love it, we thank you.

It's giving back in another way but it is still giving back.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 2 2014, 10:57pm

Post #11 of 27 (472 views)
Shortcut
I do a lot for my church. [In reply to] Can't Post

Usher, worship leader, deacon, church fairs, Bible studies, Passion Play, etc. I also support several charities as much as my finances permit.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 2 2014, 11:16pm

Post #12 of 27 (449 views)
Shortcut
Amen, and Hear, Hear! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 2 2014, 11:48pm

Post #13 of 27 (449 views)
Shortcut
I try to ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In my line of work, not that many opportunities arise to do so. I try and give my time here and there when I can, even if it's a brief geography lesson, or something a lot more elaborate and organised.

Between me and my other half, I hope we give enough back to the community. A couple of years ago I was awarded a prize for my voluntary work in schools.

Kim
Valinor

Jul 2 2014, 11:50pm

Post #14 of 27 (448 views)
Shortcut
Three cheers for the admins! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all the hard work you put in maintaining these forums to give us a fun place to play. Smile

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 2 2014, 11:57pm

Post #15 of 27 (463 views)
Shortcut
Giving back is a habit. [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a lot to sort out, let me try to remember:

• Volunteering at the local ageing rehabilitation center for several months
  • Lots of free babysitting and dog care-taking and mail fetching
  • Dropping everything and going as close to ground zero as possible ASAP to help with Hurricane Katrina victims
  • Walking dogs with a friend several times for the Humane Society and donating unneeded food, crates, and other items
  • Giving to charities (as I can afford)
  • Volunteering to run kid's summer programs, after school programs, and clubs
  • volunteering to be a representative on student government - and from there volunteering to be on extra committees as needed
  • volunteering my home to international students over the holidays
  • Paying rent for friends when they hit hard times until they stabilized
  • Cleaning out the condo's pool pro-bono just because it needed to be done - even though "that is Maintenance's job" ... it had just rained and it was evening
  • Donating to Good Will and to various food drives

I am not doing as much as I have at other times in the past right now because I am a little bit absorbed in the job search which is go time right now for me. Well, I am still doing free dog-sitting, but that seems like a small thing.

I would like to add that for almost all of these points, there is more of a give and get back than a "just give". I wanted to swim in that pool myself and didn't want to wait. I needed to learn about how to deal with folks with Alzheimer's so volunteering was the perfect way to do that. The clubs and afterschool programs dovetailed with my work at the time. The volunteering related to college life and other college students fed back into my own social life. It so happens that babysitting the dog opened up an opportunity to kind of push for a holiday celebration to happen. I wanted to keep the friends who were in a rough spot at the time and liked visiting their house and hanging out with them enough not to let them slip away without a fight. Walking the dogs for the Humane Society was a way to build a friendship with common interests. I found things in my closets and elsewhere that I didn't use and thought others could.

I prefer to think in terms of a kind of symbiotic give-and-take or give-and-receive instead of perceiving it as a bestowing of goodness.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2014, 1:53am

Post #16 of 27 (455 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't thought about it like that. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw a note on Facebook recently that said something like: "Every person you meet is having a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

If TORN can continue to be a constant place of friendship, geekery and where a person can step outside of their day-to-lives for a breather among like-minded folk, then I'll be a very happy admin indeed. Smile

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2014, 3:04am

Post #17 of 27 (426 views)
Shortcut
I kind of had to pick "other" [In reply to] Can't Post

From January though April, I work almost every Saturday with a charity where we prepare income tax returns for lower-income families. Because of the benefits available, and the complexity of calculating those benefits, it's very hard to calculate their tax returns. So we train up and prepare and file their tax returns. I have so much respect for them - they don't have a lot of money, their family situations are complicated, but they work hard to do the best they can for themselves and their families.

The charity I work for returns tens of millions of dollars back to the community in the form of tax refunds. We also run programs to help high-school students apply for financial aid, and we run financial literacy classes so people can learn to be smart with their money. It's a great organization.

My work with this charity doesn't fit within the poll options, since I volunteer almost 10 hours a week for certain parts of the year, but not as much at other times. But I'm always donating clothes, books and other items. I serve on two charitable boards, and I'm on the board for my condo association.

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 3 2014, 4:03am

Post #18 of 27 (446 views)
Shortcut
I would have to list things, rather than continual time- mostly due to health issues [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was in high school:

I volunteered at a habitat for humanity project with my youth group shoveling gravel.

I was a youth leader chaperone for a church youth campout.

I helped a Spanish speaking student with my sporadic Spanish in my government class because the poor girl could hardly speak English- I was able to communicate instructions well enough that she passed the class, and the teacher was appreciative because his Spanish skill started and ended with adios.

I have intermittently volunteered with church nurseries since I was 13- on hiatus now because of my health issues and sleep disorder, but once things are manageable again I might jump back into it.

I babysit my friends small kids for free since they're not in the best of straits financially (and in return she babysits mine too- so neither of us have to pay for babysitters- and that was an unspoken agreement, as both mommies greatly value the rare dates we get with our hubbies!). When either of us do, it's usually one adult with four kids, and the oldest is only 7.

I've house sat before when my grandmother was out of town for the winter to make sure the snow on her driveway was shoveled so her basement didn't flood.

My husband and I both help out our elderly neighbors when driveways need shoveling/deicing in the winter, and when my grandmother (who had a broken toe, and is 73 though normally spry) mentioned painting her gazebo on a ladder on the phone (and bound and determined to do so- she's as stubborn as a dwarf I swear!) all I had to do was tell my husband (I had the flu and so did the girls, and we didn't want to risk sharing) and he said "no she's not" and drove over as soon as he got his workboots on. She offered to pay him, and he refused (THAT was a battle, but she eventually gave in).

My husband was sponsoring a little girl from Columbia through Compassion International when we got married, and we continued to do so until she aged out of the program (it gave her education, church, food, clothing- that's VERY hard to come by in Columbia, sadly Unsure).

We give ten percent of our earnings to our church, with occasional above and beyond "love offerings" to visiting missionaries or our pastor on his and his wife's anniversary.

I've helped run the souvenir stand for the Strength Team when they visited my parent's church.

I've been in church choir, on worship team, and also did worship team with my violin.

I've done Passion plays and Christmas plays (our current church is too small for these, but did them when I was at a bigger church).

And if I have the funds and there is a homeless person begging, I will swing through a drive through and buy them lunch. I don't always have cash on me, but I can at least give them a meal.

I've given hot cider/ice water (respective of the season) to Jehovah's Witness and kids/college students doing door to door fundraising. I may not have the funds to help their cause, but the JW was in single digit January weather, and the college student was in August 100+ degree Fahrenheit heat. NEVER understood doing the door to door thing in such extreme temps, but at least I could give them something to warm them up/cool them down, even if I don't agree with their philosophies Smile

I desperately WANT to do an overseas missions trip- preferably one that involves building churches or digging wells- something service related. But that will have to wait until my children are old enough that they can spend the night somewhere or go with me, as my husband works full time and my inlaw's house is not yet equipped for them to spend the night, due to still having 4 kids at home and all of them mentally ill.

I also want to volunteer at the local hospital (I was doing pre-nursing with intent to move onto pre-med before my health issues forced me out of school, and was a nursing assistant so I know my way around it, and am quite familiar with medical settings) but again- can't get babysitters easily or at the same time every week.

And whenever we clean out closets or go through our stuff and get rid of things, we either pass them onto someone whose in need that we know, or take it down to the local thrift store run by St. Vincent's (Goodwill CEO makes six figures a year, and they're for-profit, not non-profit, and will throw away perfectly good things if they're not "in style" enough for them. St. Vincent's, on the other hand, takes all their money save a very reasonable hourly wage for its employees and gives it back to the community, and is non-profit).

I think that it's rewarding to give, even if someone can't give back in return. God did it for me, so why can't I do it for others? Smile

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2014, 5:01am

Post #19 of 27 (441 views)
Shortcut
Well, then.... [In reply to] Can't Post

that makes TORN my answer. It's a labor of love. What this place and you all mean to me is more than worth the occasional bout of headdesk. Cool

Annael
Immortal

Jul 3 2014, 7:02pm

Post #20 of 27 (425 views)
Shortcut
ah, needed a "pro bono" option [In reply to] Can't Post

I do sometimes do what I do for a living for free, as well.

Theodora
The Shire

Jul 3 2014, 8:01pm

Post #21 of 27 (417 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I work as a volunteer for our local library, which is fun and takes a few hours a month. The library offers a service to people who have difficulties visiting the library, due to illness or another reason. So there's a group of people that delivers the books to these people at home.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 3 2014, 8:48pm

Post #22 of 27 (403 views)
Shortcut
*mods way up!*// [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2014, 2:22am

Post #23 of 27 (410 views)
Shortcut
Amen to that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2014, 2:36am

Post #24 of 27 (420 views)
Shortcut
True words. [In reply to] Can't Post

TORn and its TORnfolks are worth every moment here. Heart

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 4 2014, 2:42am

Post #25 of 27 (410 views)
Shortcut
It's hard for one to consider [In reply to] Can't Post

that others in a discussion are dealing with their own battles when many haven't even grasped that there's real people behind every post (bots notwithstanding).

TORn, thanks largely to the Modars (and the many fine people the site attracts), is on the cutting edge of helping people learn how to communicate humanely online.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.