Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
would you rather be a....
Poll: would you rather be a....
an elf -- live for as long as the world endures -- complete with beauty, youth, resistance to sickness -- than disappear. no afterlife.
a human -- live a span of mortal years, then pass on to a hope of a spiritual afterlife
a hobbit -- live a little longer than humans, then go who knows where after death
a dwarf -- live even longer than humans, be extremely tough and resistant to sickness, then die and go who knows where
an ent -- live milennia, extremely powerful with tremendous regenerative ability, then pass on to who knows what after death
View Results (47 votes)

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 1 2014, 8:53pm

Post #1 of 23 (750 views)
Shortcut
would you rather be a.... Can't Post

curious. what say you?

elaborations on replies are encouraged.

cheers --

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 1 2014, 9:01pm

Post #2 of 23 (589 views)
Shortcut
At least part of me wants to be an Elf. [In reply to] Can't Post

I might settle for being one of the Dunedain.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 1 2014, 9:47pm

Post #3 of 23 (573 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

An elf. No, a hobbit. No, wait! An ent. Eee... a dwarf? Ah! I guess I'll have to stick to being a hum... err, I mean, a fox. Tongue

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 1 2014, 10:31pm

Post #4 of 23 (599 views)
Shortcut
Elves have more fun. [In reply to] Can't Post

All that singing, dancing, Dorwinion Wine, ....

Besides, we don't know they don't have an afterlife, we just know that they don't know.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2014, 11:09pm

Post #5 of 23 (558 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

simple life and barefeet....or is that foot.

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 1 2014, 11:16pm

Post #6 of 23 (557 views)
Shortcut
i know! : ) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 2 2014, 12:58am

Post #7 of 23 (568 views)
Shortcut
I chose an elf as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Like, who's surprised???

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 2 2014, 3:22am

Post #8 of 23 (563 views)
Shortcut
Half-elven with *that* choice (I want an afterlife!) :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 2 2014, 4:04am

Post #9 of 23 (553 views)
Shortcut
oh that's a good idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't thought of that- immortal, then when you get bored you can choose to be mortal!

In that case, dwarf is still my main choice (I practically am one already at only five feet tall Crazy), but that's a very tempting alternative! Though it would be quite weird to me to suddenly be tall for a change! Tongue

Annael
Immortal

Jul 2 2014, 2:55pm

Post #10 of 23 (533 views)
Shortcut
how about a human who looks like an elf? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm shortish and roundish in a family of tall, willowy women . . .always wanted to know how that would feel.

But yes, I believe in an afterlife . . . in a "between life" actually as I believe we reincarnate repeatedly to learn soul lessons . . . and I wouldn't give that up for anything. What can I say, I'm a natural scholar, I like learning! Eternal unchanging life--either here or there--has no appeal for me.

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 3:52am

Post #11 of 23 (505 views)
Shortcut
wow -- three people wanted to be ents (!) [In reply to] Can't Post

wow, three of you wanted to be ents. i'm curious as to who.... : )

surprising-yet-not-surprising.... most people wanted to be an elf, even if it meant no afterlife (as long as they lived immeasurable years in youth and beauty and health).

quite a few of you are cut from the same cloth as elros half-elven, and cast your lot with the fate of the edain. brave choice, bravo / brava. : )

a few hobbits, welcome! welcome!

and a lone dwarf.... i might have thought there would be more dwarves, seeing as though they'd get to pal around with thorin, fili, and kili.

cheers : )

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 4 2014, 5:59am

Post #12 of 23 (507 views)
Shortcut
Four, actually [In reply to] Can't Post

I just didn't get around to voting. Don't be hasty... Laugh

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 2:48pm

Post #13 of 23 (521 views)
Shortcut
more than voting... [In reply to] Can't Post

starling, you made me laugh. : ) but more than voting.... +why+ would you choose "ent"?

cheers --

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 9 2014, 1:02am

Post #14 of 23 (457 views)
Shortcut
I voted hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

They're the happiest and most peaceful race, at least when they live in the Shire. I was tempted to vote to be an Elf, but who wants to be sad forever?

Lossefalme
Gondor

Jul 9 2014, 1:30am

Post #15 of 23 (462 views)
Shortcut
I surprised myself [In reply to] Can't Post

and voted Hobbit. The more I thought about it, the more they appealed to me. Most, and I stress the word most, hobbits live simple, happy, uncomplicated, peaceful lives. I think I would like that. Sure, it would be nice to be stunning and look like I'm in my prime until the end of time, but how many elves are really happy? I wouldn't mind being human if I were one of the Dunedain, but the chances of that are slim and none. The dwarfs don't seem much happier than the elves and are far less attractive (with a few exceptions). I might have chosen wizard...

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 9 2014, 1:46am

Post #16 of 23 (445 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes I'd rather be a fish // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 9 2014, 2:03am

Post #17 of 23 (441 views)
Shortcut
that was smart thinkin' there, cg -- [In reply to] Can't Post

the other benefit is that you wouldn't have to call a vanya your high king.

cheers --

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 9 2014, 2:08am

Post #18 of 23 (451 views)
Shortcut
I'd rather be a hammer than a whale.// [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 9 2014, 4:00pm

Post #19 of 23 (420 views)
Shortcut
I'm in the silent group who like the Vanyar [In reply to] Can't Post

They sing, they're ethereal, they don't cause trouble, and they helped overthrow Morgoth. They're only boring because they do no harm. I like people like that, so I wouldn't mind a Vanyar for my High King.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 9 2014, 8:23pm

Post #20 of 23 (420 views)
Shortcut
Because [In reply to] Can't Post

I rather fancy the idea of living for milennia, having tremendous regenerative ability, and being very powerful.
Sounds good to me.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 9 2014, 8:34pm

Post #21 of 23 (452 views)
Shortcut
Modern Day Ent [In reply to] Can't Post

"Destroyed a wetland ecosystem?" *squish* "Dumped toxic waste in the river?" *squish* "Spilled hazardous chemicals on the highway?" *squish* "Didn't file a Tier II Chemical Report in a timely manner?" *squish* "Small quantity generator kept hazardous waste on site longer than 180 days without interim status or a permit?" *squish*

Mwahahahahaha!!!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 9 2014, 8:55pm

Post #22 of 23 (415 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps you are one already, [In reply to] Can't Post

and just have to grow roots and branches long enough for sufficient squish power?Cool

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 11 2014, 4:08am

Post #23 of 23 (402 views)
Shortcut
human or dwarf [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like I'm part Dwarf, but to be honest I wouldn't want the facial hair (as a woman). So I voted human. I would think that being immortal would suck after a few thousand years, I mean, you've seen it all, done it all, maybe it's time to end things. Then again....

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.