Anyone participating in Camp NaNo?

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2014, 1:41am

Post #1 of 8 (110 views)
Shortcut
Anyone participating in Camp NaNo? Can't Post

It starts tomorrow. Camp NaNoWriMo

I'm going to try even though I'll be at my uncle's cottage the last week of the month with no internet access which means I have to finish before we leave. I'm going to try to (finally) finish the story I started a few years ago. I wrote myself into a corner and couldn't figure a way out. This time, I'm going to take John Greens advice, give myself permission to suck and boldly walk over that wet paint and start back where things made sense. Hopefully I can finish this story because I think it has some potential to be something more.

http://files.content.campnanowrimo.org/camp/files/2014/02/2014-Participant-Square-Button.png

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 1 2014, 2:11am

Post #2 of 8 (74 views)
Shortcut
I like your writing style on this forum [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure you have a very readable novel in you... best wishes in your endeavour.

(And thanks for the link. I had no idea NaNoWiMo had expanded.)

Angharad73
Rohan

Jul 1 2014, 4:58am

Post #3 of 8 (63 views)
Shortcut
Yep, I am [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I'll be doing editing more than writing. I have a half-finished story from the April session that needs a major overhaul before I can even think of finishing it.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2014, 2:25pm

Post #4 of 8 (49 views)
Shortcut
gosh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the compliment!

Camp NaNo used to be ScriptFrenzy in April and Camp NaNo in July. Now they run 2 Camps and the main NaNoWriMo in November. You can set your own word count for the camps and write just about anything. Some folks still do scripts or revising. Take a look and give it a try!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2014, 2:45pm

Post #5 of 8 (48 views)
Shortcut
Hooray! A fellow camper! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in the same boat. I looked back at the novels I posted for the last 4 camps (this year and last year) and it's the same story. I really want to finish it so this time I've decided to start in a different place. I'm also going to add a few chapters back near the beginning so that things make more sense at the end. I'll be finishing and then starting at the beginning to edit. I'm not sure how to do the word count once I start editing though.

Here is the Vlog Brothers installment where John Green talks about writing NaNoWriMo and how books are made in revision. That novel he started that year ended up becoming The Fault in Our Stars. I love this guy.

Angharad73
Rohan

Jul 1 2014, 5:56pm

Post #6 of 8 (42 views)
Shortcut
Word count... [In reply to] Can't Post

For editing can be done by the hour, I read somewhere on the NaNo forum. They put 1000 words per hour editing, which seems high to me. I'm going with 500 words per hour since I'm not that fast. And then I add whatever I manage to write in addition to what I have. At the end I create a lorem ipsum text for validation.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 1 2014, 7:56pm

Post #7 of 8 (44 views)
Shortcut
I did NaNoWriMo once. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was in November, which was really gruelling for me. I remember getting up at 4AM to write before leaving for work at 7, and then getting home at 6 and having supper and writing until bedtime. I gave up TORn and facebook and the newspaper and any reading for fun for that month.

I'll never do it again, (at least not until I retire), but I did get a nice book out of it.

Anyway, summer sounds like a much better time for it. One piece of advice: plot the whole thing ahead of time. That's within the rules. If you have a detailed outline, you won't get stuck on a plot detail. I don't usually write that way, but it did make it possible to finish under those grueling circumstances.

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jul 1 2014, 7:57pm)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2014, 8:10pm

Post #8 of 8 (61 views)
Shortcut
Yes, very true about outlining at least for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I've finished my last 2 November NaNos. I didn't make it the first year. I had no idea what I was doing and just sat down to write every day. I got so bogged down I quit. April and July are usually busier for me with all the end-of-year stuff and then travel and camp or maybe I'm just out of gas by then but I've never finished in Camp. This year I will. IcandothisIcandothisIcandothis

I have 2 novels in various states of deshabille from the other years. One is in the hands of a friend who is also a publisher and will give me a good solid critique. The other is languishing on the sofa, still tired from all exertion of being written. I've got an idea for my next November NaNo. I like to start those fresh as I've had better luck writing in that month. Hopefully I'll be able to finish at least one of them and send it out into the world.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.