The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Mountain Dew goes Tolkien!

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 30 2014, 3:45am

Post #1 of 10 (694 views)
Shortcut
Mountain Dew goes Tolkien! Can't Post

It's hard to see- I had to take a picture with my webcam of the pic on my husband's phone, but it was at our local Walmart on a vending machine Smile The Mountain Dew can says Mtn Doom! Cool

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Jun 30 2014, 3:47am)

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 30 2014, 7:50am

Post #2 of 10 (560 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is allowed but Dan Smith had to close down his page? Crazy

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 30 2014, 2:41pm

Post #3 of 10 (538 views)
Shortcut
not that I know a thing about either case... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but a major reason you shut down the ability for one person to 'tap into' a marketable thing is so someone else can make money on that marketable thing.

It's a marketplace. If you want to sell rights to someone, you have to show them you have control of the marketability of any items that tap into those rights.

I'm not sure we can compare fonts and pop. For one, I don't know if the Tolkien Estate or Tolkien Enterprises shut down Dan's font sharing webpages. I would bet anything that, if there were rights obtained for the pop, it was obtained from Tolkien Enterprises.

And I think the Tolkien Estate and Tolkien Enterprises have different goals when they send the cease and desist letter. The Tolkien Estate is (imo) more concerned with how Tolkien's creative works are being used and the Tolkien Enterprises are more of a business entity.

But mostly, marketing decisions don't have a lot to do with class and taste.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jun 30 2014, 2:42pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 30 2014, 2:56pm

Post #4 of 10 (526 views)
Shortcut
Of course, you are right. [In reply to] Can't Post

My post was meant rather cynically, to be honest.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 30 2014, 3:04pm

Post #5 of 10 (558 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's intended to reference *the* Mount Doom [In reply to] Can't Post

The cans on either side also have different word marks, Poopsi for instance, and I can't make out what the Coke can says. For that matter Coke isn't affiliated with Pepsi and Mountain Dew (which are affiliated with each other).

Therefore I'm guessing this is something akin to Whacky Packages stickers. I'll go out on a limb and suggest this is some kind of grassroots initiative whose intent is to put people off sugary soda pop because of associated health problems.

"Mnt. Doom" is actually a Whacky Packages sticker issued in 2013 according to this Ebay listing: Link. Judging by the sticker's contents neither is it a reference to Tolkien's Mount Doom.

There are however Mountain Dew items out there that are deliberate references to Mount Doom -- doubtful they're licensed so no link from here.

edit: ebay link fixed

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jun 30 2014, 3:10pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 30 2014, 5:09pm

Post #6 of 10 (532 views)
Shortcut
lol... [In reply to] Can't Post

it occurred to me later that that might be the case.

I am very literal.

And I am fascinated by marketing and am always noticing how 'things work'.

Thus my inapt reply. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 1 2014, 12:36am

Post #7 of 10 (494 views)
Shortcut
Either way it was neat [In reply to] Can't Post

and my mind though of Mt. Doom, rather than mountain dew is bad for you (I fully agree that soda is extremely bad for you anyway).

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 1 2014, 2:23am

Post #8 of 10 (502 views)
Shortcut
Yes, neat. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I saw a can of Mnt. Doom I would think of our Mount Doom first as well.

Heck, I can't even see a Subaru logo without thinking of Elendil's standard.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 1 2014, 2:24am)

Faleel
Rohan

Jul 4 2014, 4:45pm

Post #9 of 10 (450 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't forget coffee!

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 4 2014, 7:26pm

Post #10 of 10 (457 views)
Shortcut
ugh [In reply to] Can't Post

HATE coffee with a vengeance, which is a good thing because I'm not supposed to have caffeine anyway Tongue

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.