Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BOTFA Interview w/ WETA

ImBilboIAm

Jun 30 2014, 5:27am

Post #1 of 11 (1455 views)
Shortcut
BOTFA Interview w/ WETA Can't Post

Just a brief video interview with some of the visual effects supervisors from WETA and they comment on the third film and specifically The Battle of the Five Armies.

http://collider.com/...-letteri-dan-lemmon/

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jun 30 2014, 7:16pm)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2014, 6:40am

Post #2 of 11 (867 views)
Shortcut
Why, oh why? [In reply to] Can't Post

It’s got to give you that sense that if this isn’t won, there is no Lord of the Rings; everything’s over at this point.

Unimpressed

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jun 30 2014, 7:22am

Post #3 of 11 (799 views)
Shortcut
Because this trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

was always going to be a prequel to the LOTR apart from the Hobbit adaptation, as it has been announced since 2010.Why so surprised?CrazyWhen these movies decided to incorporate the Dol Guldur/Sauron plot it was more than obvious that they would depict the events that led to the LOTR.

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

"Tolkien Nazis is the disgusting scourge of the internet"

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 30 2014, 7:27am

Post #4 of 11 (725 views)
Shortcut
In the movieverse... [In reply to] Can't Post

... this is kind of a necessity. If Sauron managed to sack the North... What hope would there have been for the Free Peoples? Even in the books the retaking of Erebor and the strengthening of the Men in the North are crucial events and essential for the Quest of the Ring to succeed.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 30 2014, 8:19am

Post #5 of 11 (711 views)
Shortcut
I suppose because they can't really tell the story... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in this context, as part of the whole sequence, on the basis of - 'here's a battle, but it doesn't really matter very much - it's just a scrap over treasure, not make-or-break like the later battles.' They have to give it some weight, or why are we bothering to watch it?

I think we really have to thank Tolkien for the dilemma that underlies this. He's the one who left us with these two ways of taking The Hobbit - as the stand-alone story he wrote originally, or as he later made it, the first act in a much bigger drama. And in that sense it is true that the whole of the later story rests on the outcome of this battle.

I'd love to see what someone else would make of The Hobbit in the first sense, as a magical fable. But I don't think that approach would have worked for these films - and they have gone some way to acknowledging the different tone of the earlier part of the book.

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Jun 30 2014, 11:36am

Post #6 of 11 (642 views)
Shortcut
Continuity [In reply to] Can't Post

“Yeah because it is the climax, and you really just need to know that there is another battle for Middle-earth. The whole extension of The Hobbit’s story has really been to get us to the point where we understand when we leave it what’s going to happen when you pick up the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and this really does kind of set that tone.”

Its terribly easy to do textual analysis on everything but this struck me as a generally interesting remark.

I take from this that the Five Armies is invested with it's geo political significance. It is given the context explained by Gandalf after the war of the ring in his conversations with the hobbits in Minus Tirith. This battle must be won and it appears that it has been a victory but some, Gandalf, Galadriel will not see it as a complete one and it will be most interesting to see how PJ leaves that hanging in the air.

Some will die some will be transformed but the wise will know this is not over and Bilbo's relationship with the ring can help mediate that notion as well.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

Noria
Gondor

Jun 30 2014, 11:57am

Post #7 of 11 (559 views)
Shortcut
Dormouse and Michelle, I agree with both of you.//. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2014, 12:02pm

Post #8 of 11 (590 views)
Shortcut
Essentialy I love this one [In reply to] Can't Post

Bbecause it is like al the goofy you have seen in the other two its gonna be tested, it will give the darkness of LOTR a more dark importance, it is like giving Sauron the level of evil he deserves

its not going to be a whatever treath, IT IS EVIL and I think in movie verse we are gonna learn what is like with TBOTFA

That would add a somber tone to LOTR trilogy

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2014, 1:22pm

Post #9 of 11 (547 views)
Shortcut
Surprised.... [In reply to] Can't Post

because these interviews keep on harping on about the significance of the battle (Bo5A) - by all accounts, Smaug will be dead (as per the book) long before then. the only question is how the DG storyline is going to fit time wise around the battle...whether it will all be done and dusted beforehand to allow Gandalf to get to Dale in time, or whether Gandalf will not be part of the final assault on DG, so it can take place at the same time as Bo5A. We all know how PJ loves to cut to and fro between parallel storylines...
Surely it can only be treated as so much depending on the outcome IF Sauron and or Smaug are still around during the Bo5A?

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 30 2014, 1:28pm

Post #10 of 11 (516 views)
Shortcut
I assume... [In reply to] Can't Post

... DG to happen before Gandalf can leave for the North but with a clear statement by the WC that Sauron is not defeated (and that even this small victory might have been exactly what Sauron wanted in order to test his enemies).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Jun 30 2014, 4:27pm

Post #11 of 11 (443 views)
Shortcut
Saurons a stake holder in the outcome [In reply to] Can't Post

Whilst you and I may have different responses to this interview i think we are both taking Letteri's comments the same, that the BOFA must be won not just for the reasons of the book but because Sauron, whatever happens at DG, is behind it and will be the principle beneficiary of the army led by Azog if it overcomes its enemies.

Noria mentioned Checkov's Gun recently. I think linking Azog so closely to Sauron as his appointed commander of the armies rather than simply being a more vague example of Morgoth's strain is another story telling investment which will have a payoff in film 3. As to your other point If I had to bet all the evidence points to the worm taking a bath as in the book.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.