The Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part VI
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 2:12pm

Post #126 of 206 (3819 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks! Can't believe I missed it [In reply to]  

Took a few tries but I got Thranduil after getting of all characters Thorin, Galadriel, Beorn, Galadriel, Galadriel (i think there's enough iterations) in that order Crazy... ...

I should go lie down now.

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jun 27 2014, 2:14pm)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 27 2014, 2:37pm

Post #127 of 206 (3831 views)
Shortcut
     I know, right?? [In reply to]  

*OT: I think it's like the first time I'm online at the same time with another thrall*

I am pretty much never online when others are! It being between midnight and dawn, and all. It's half past the witching hour here so I am about to hit the hay.

'Midnight in Paris' - yes, he plays Scott Fitzgerald, and is very dishy with it. As always. It's a fun and sweet movie, Woody Allen's best in recent years, IMO.

Okay... yup, I have found the Fan Board. Haven't been there for years, had forgotten its existence. How unobservant of me.

Thanks for all that useful stuff about orchids. I was about to google them but you have saved me the extra click. Being a fan of James Spader, I recall his scenes from 'Secretary' in which his character Mr Grey (funny, that) delicately attends to his orchids in a special growing room. Lamps, sheets of glass, props and stands and misting spray set-ups. I would love to see Thranduil's growing room, with gorgeous Elven style. With the challenges and fragility, I can imagine the satisfaction of coaxing a flower into life. Thranduil expressing his sensitive side. So cultured.

Seriously off to bed now.

Crazy

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 27 2014, 4:19pm

Post #128 of 206 (3846 views)
Shortcut
     *Offers to buy Lurker lunch w. drinks* [In reply to]  

*Bows* by your leave, sent you a PM

"You have a case of Thorinitis Ostentathitis, to state the obvious"

*Shamelessly grins as glaz'd reddended eyes stare unblinkingly at the Mountain King until the cat bites her in the foot....
Cool

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jun 27 2014, 8:32pm

Post #129 of 206 (3822 views)
Shortcut
     Very, very interesting, Thranduil obviously has a thing for White Stags as well. [In reply to]  

Now I see how his crown resembles antlers, and with his white hair .... how cool is that? My Thralldom grows by the day. Read the story of the Whitesnake Spirit, but could not bring myself to read about Migaloo. It was very different in the old days. I won't get into that either.

The pic of Thorin with the White Stag is amazing, and Starry Night is amazing. It is not just stars in the sky, but big beautiful galaxies. If ME was in our Universe, I would say it is somewhere in the Virgo Supercluster. There are sooooo many galaxies and they are relatively close together.

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jun 27 2014, 8:38pm

Post #130 of 206 (3813 views)
Shortcut
     I am not at all sure that salts would revive me. Whew! [In reply to]  

Kim
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 9:00pm

Post #131 of 206 (3798 views)
Shortcut
     Yes, I think that one deserves [In reply to]  

a bucket of ice water! Evil

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 27 2014, 9:11pm

Post #132 of 206 (3815 views)
Shortcut
     It's lovely to be thought of [In reply to]  

The King of the Woodland realm greatly approves of Lurker's efforts, and said Thranduil Thrall can expect a party invitation.

LOL Thorin loses his epically stupendous mane and gets runic tats instead? We Dwarf Thralls are SO there, we're all gonna party and fight over the hair, and Oin's gonna do the tats. Probably be some Khuzdul dwarvish swearingHeartHeartHeart directed at:

Now I gotta go help my sister Thralls finish the still we're making out of one of the forges. What happens in Erebor, stays in Erebor. - TGIF!!!!Evil

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 27 2014, 9:25pm

Post #133 of 206 (3795 views)
Shortcut
     LOL Kerewyn [In reply to]  

Thank you so much - and I shall make it my mission to shower my beloved Mountain King with as much *cough* poetic license as possible, because like love, the more I wax poetically, the more there seems to be.Heart

Until kindly TORn members lead me away to a quiet room in an expensive facility in the woods somewhere, with nice doctors and soothing music, where professionals will attempt to cure me of my Thorinitis.

But they don't know about the 1-terabyte super Android WiFI ultralight slimbook tablet I have sewn into the lining of my suitcase *smirk*

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 27 2014, 9:39pm

Post #134 of 206 (3814 views)
Shortcut
     Avandel giggles insanely...... [In reply to]  

Avandel's a bad influence. Tongue I'm trying to resist setting up shop there with her.

Lights go down it's dark
The jungle is your head
Can't rule your heart
A feeling so much
Stronger than a thought
Your eyes are wide and though
Your soul it can't be bought
Your mind can wander

Hello hello
I'm at a place called Vertigo
It's everything I wish I didn't know
Except you give me something
I can feel, FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2014, 2:16am

Post #135 of 206 (3768 views)
Shortcut
     You could see the actual orchids in Vlog 12 [In reply to]  

When EL is talking about Tauriel and the elves of Mirkwood, they give a nice close-up of some orchids under glass.

If you watch the video (at 6:39) it kinda looks like that...thingy might be filled to the top with water.

While it's hard to see, in this clip from DOS, I think I can see some flower containers in the background once or twice. Once at 0:22 you can see a tall glass thing that almost looks like an hour glass and I think that's the flower container from the vlog. I may even be able to see flowers when I make it full screen and squint my eyes real tight. Then, at 1:03, there's a small, round-ish glass container sitting on a table about shoulder height behind Tauriel's back. There seems to be a flower in that too.

With as much time and effort as you have to put into taking care of orchids, they do seem like a very "elven" type of flower. Like, elves are just about the only ones that would have time to care for them properly!Tongue

Though I wonder when and who sparked his interest. Mirkwood doesn't seem like it's the type of place to have native orchid species.

Maybe he brought them with him from someplace else or maybe they were part of a trade? Or, maybe they used to grow wild in Greenwood the Great before it turned into Mirkwood?

On this, I know people who know people, and recently I put my feelers out. I hope my enquiry will be passed along and reach the innermost dens of they-who-create. But I don’t want to get our hopes up … it’s really just a pipe dream that a reply might find its way back to us. If we all squeeze our eyes tight, lock our pinkies together and make a wish under the starlight…
Angelic
*Wordlessly extend pinkie and squeeze eyes shut*

*sings* When you wish upon a staaaaar...Angelic Thanks for doing that Kerewyn!Smile Here's hoping we hear something back! *holds out pinky and wishes on star*

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 28 2014, 3:20am

Post #136 of 206 (3811 views)
Shortcut
     Well spotted!! [In reply to]  

While it's hard to see, in this clip from DOS, I think I can see some flower containers in the background once or twice. Once at 0:22 you can see a tall glass thing that almost looks like an hour glass and I think that's the flower container from the vlog. I may even be able to see flowers when I make it full screen and squint my eyes real tight. Then, at 1:03, there's a small, round-ish glass container sitting on a table about shoulder height behind Tauriel's back. There seems to be a flower in that too.

Can't believe I didn't notice this when I was dissecting the scene myself. Funny how you can so easily miss something you're not expecting to see! We should probably add this to Gramma's Geeky Observation List - I might see to that, when I get a moment.

What a lovely vessel that orchid holder is. Just now, I typed "orchid display case" into google images, and there is nothing quite of that likeness there. Another piece of Weta inspiration. Heart

Actually it was good to watch that vlog again very closely. When Tauriel is standing by the orchid case for tthat brief moment, you can see Thranduil being attended to in the background. Smile

And speaking of that, there at 7:29 is the 'person with the comb' I referred to recently. Someone made a nice gif of that moment....which I couldn't stop watching... http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=709314#709314

It's been quite nice looking back through the original Appreciation Thread. I've been watching this gif (second one down in the following link) over and over, because I haven't seen it since. http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=708636#708636
Am loving his hand gesture, facial expression, and the way that plush fabric tugs itself gently across the floor. It's the little things...BlushEvilEvil

OT: That "wish upon a star" link... is that mature voice really coming out of that little girl??Shocked Incredible!

Well. It's 1:20pm and I am still sitting around in my pyjamas drinking cups of tea. Such is the life of a Thrall. Wink

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Jun 28 2014, 3:22am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 28 2014, 12:00pm

Post #137 of 206 (3751 views)
Shortcut
     *accepts invite* [In reply to]  

Thanks, Avandel, need that actually. I have responded. Smile

Give kitty a snuff from me please. Sly

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 28 2014, 12:25pm

Post #138 of 206 (3768 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah. Really hoping we see this scene in the EE.// [In reply to]  

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 28 2014, 12:32pm

Post #139 of 206 (3764 views)
Shortcut
     *bows and runs to check mailbox for invite* [In reply to]  

Who is this fine personage? Some officiously appointed Snr Inspector of party costumes and accessories? Smile

LOL Thorin loses his epically stupendous mane and gets runic tats instead? We Dwarf Thralls are SO there, we're all gonna party and fight over the hair, and Oin's gonna do the tats. Probably be some Khuzdul dwarvish swearingHeartHeartHeart directed at:

LOL tis the concept, not the ragbaggedness I was referencing. Though tattered rags on the throneless King under the Mountain would fuel the thralldom frenzy eh? Evil

Was Oin the creator of Dwalin's decorative pate then? Nice job! ... even as a Thranduil Thrall, I hope Oin isn't drunk when he gets working, the dwarf who have these words tattoed on his person will never live it down except perhaps *cough*Dis*cough* Tongue

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 28 2014, 12:36pm

Post #140 of 206 (3774 views)
Shortcut
     MV! MV! [In reply to]  

You got to do a music vid to go with that now!!!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 28 2014, 3:56pm

Post #141 of 206 (3760 views)
Shortcut
     Oh my... Elf eyes indeed, Eruvandi and Kerewyn! And screenshots. PS where be the founding thralls? [In reply to]  

Absolutely Heart the Thralldom collective. Now I remember thinking to myself: "Wait... what's an orchid doing in ME?" when I saw that in the vlog. Of course I forgot all about the ??? when the focus turned to the Elvenking Sly

Can't believe I didn't notice this when I was dissecting the scene myself. Funny how you can so easily miss something you're not expecting to see! We should probably add this to Gramma's Geeky Observation List - I might see to that, when I get a moment.

I think I got them

Actually it was good to watch that vlog again very closely. When Tauriel is standing by the orchid case for tthat brief moment, you can see Thranduil being attended to in the background. Smile

Yup! Good catch, Kerewyn! It was just ONE frame I think. Took a bit of doing to pause it just there.

And speaking of that, there at 7:29 is the 'person with the comb' I referred to recently. Someone made a nice gif of that moment....which I couldn't stop watching... http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=709314#709314

It's been quite nice looking back through the original Appreciation Thread. I've been watching this gif (second one down in the following link) over and over, because I haven't seen it since. http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=708636#708636
Am loving his hand gesture, facial expression, and the way that plush fabric tugs itself gently across the floor. It's the little things...BlushEvilEvil

Classics! Loved them all. Thanks for bringing them back. HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart Really love that "casual uniform" of his. And can I just add the sword-sheathing practice to go with it? Last GIF here. Smile

Do wonder where the founding thralls circa threads I and II are, from time to time. Except for chiming in on the March Madness win for Thranduil, no one's been around have they? Well, except you both, vanima, and elf-lady.

Well. It's 1:20pm and I am still sitting around in my pyjamas drinking cups of tea. Such is the life of a Thrall. Wink

Trust you had a pleasant rest of day? It's close to the witching hour here, and I've just been unwinding the whole day, in front of the googlebox. Tongue Tomorrow has to be more productive.

ETA: second day of the warnertv asia cable channel's LotR weekend. Have not realised I miss the Leggy of old. Unsure

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jun 28 2014, 4:02pm)

Kim
Valinor

Jun 28 2014, 4:52pm

Post #142 of 206 (3746 views)
Shortcut
     Modern AU Newsprint [In reply to]  

Hey, that's really cool, I missed that link on my first pass through, very clever. And thanks for including a few Thorin tidbits. Smile

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2014, 5:00pm

Post #143 of 206 (3747 views)
Shortcut
     Can't think of a good subject line... [In reply to]  

My brain is feeling lazy today, apparently...But that's what Saturday afternoons are for!Smile

Absolutely Heart the Thralldom collective. Now I remember thinking to myself: "Wait... what's an orchid doing in ME?" when I saw that in the vlog. Of course I forgot all about the ??? when the focus turned to the Elvenking Sly

Yes, me too! The only reason I saw the flower containers this time was because I was specifically looking for them. Otherwise, I'm totally focused on Thranduil in that scene. *drool*

Great screencaps btw! And, wow, I hadn't noticed Thranduil in the background of the vlog scene before! I guess I was distracted by the silly expression on EL's face.Tongue

Classics! Loved them all. Thanks for bringing them back. HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart Really love that "casual uniform" of his. And can I just add the sword-sheathing practice to go with it? Last GIF here. Smile

Do wonder where the founding thralls circa threads I and II are, from time to time. Except for chiming in on the March Madness win for Thranduil, no one's been around have they? Well, except you both, vanima, and elf-lady.

*stares at fabulous gifs before snapping out of trance* ...Huh? What was I going to say?...Oh yeah...Yes, it's quite nostalgic to visit the old Appreciation Threads! I wonder sometimes where the other Thralls went too. Especially Rowan Greene. I really liked her and we had a lot of similar opinions on things.Unsure

OT: That "wish upon a star" link... is that mature voice really coming out of that little girl?? Incredible!

That's Jackie Evancho, and yes, that's her real voice! Amazing right?Smile She started out three years ago as a contestant on America's Got Talent, and after winning the whole thing, she's done concerts all over the place. Last time I saw her perform (not in person, just on tv) she was at the Memorial Day concert in Washington D.C. back on May 26th. She's grown a lot, but she still sounds great!

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jun 28 2014, 5:29pm

Post #144 of 206 (3719 views)
Shortcut
     Ooops, an amendment to my last post: [In reply to]  

The last sentence about the Starry Night pic should have read something like this:

I know that JRRT places ME right here on Earth approximately 6,000 years ago, but if I had to choose where the artist who created my Starry Night pic places ME, it would be in the Virgo Supercluster, where there are so many beautiful galaxies relatively close together.

Just sign me,

Trying to keep my imagination from running totally amok here in Thralldomland which sometimes can be challenging for me what with all of the Thranduil and Thorin-related stuff going on.

(This post was edited by VeArkenstone on Jun 28 2014, 5:33pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 28 2014, 7:37pm

Post #145 of 206 (3750 views)
Shortcut
     Feast!!!!! Feast!!!!! [In reply to]  

*Grins* sent you a PM, let's playCool (yeah verily, since I was so rudely interrupted from my exquisite musings over on the Fan Fic board re the lauding of the infinite beauty of the King Under the Mountain, *ahem* as powerfully graceful as the black leopards of the Harad was he......*grins*Wink)

Many more adjectives battle to burst from my Dwarf-maddened selfCrazyWink

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Jun 29 2014, 1:09am

Post #146 of 206 (3682 views)
Shortcut
     Looks like I'm just going to stay behind. [In reply to]  

But, in short...

Avandel; Kim; cats16; and anyone I missed: I'm happy to see a round robin-ish Thrall exchange going on here. Dwarves and Elves are always more fun together than apart (though the reasons for that can vary wildly).

SO MUCH PRETTY. I'm loving the ab-licious Dwarf art. (I do wonder where the rest of the chest hair is, though. Wink )

Eruvandi: It looks like my Silmarillion self is Idril. My only vague memory of her is Romantic Entanglements -but that's true of pretty much everybody. (My Hobbit self is Balin!)

Kerewyn: I hope your wing-and-a-prayer request hits ring-licous pay dirt!

Lurker: I'm dying for all the Lee Pace Guardians of the Galaxy goodies. It almost looks like we can see his eyes (though he's probably wearing freaky contacts. If only we could hear his voice... And I've managed to see HaCF 1 - 4, if I can get my files in the right place I'll try to post a spoiler-free screencap or two.

Orchids and Stags and Tom Hiddleston, Oh My! (Yeah, I'm going to have to do some more reading. Tongue)

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 29 2014, 2:11am

Post #147 of 206 (3691 views)
Shortcut
     Happiness for the trailer? For me, no, I wouldn't call it QUITE that [In reply to]  

Avandel must be happy that the trailer has finally been approved and we should be seeing it soon.

I'm one of those rebels probably in danger of being smacked around by well-versed Tolkien scholars with first edition, leather bound copies of the Hobbit.Unsure

Because while I'm fuzzy on the details, in that I deliberately have avoided re-reading the Hobbit lest my brain get too cluttered re the films (the way it was for LOTR which kind of was a problem w. the constant mental comparing), I know the bones of the story.

E.g. I'm one of those long haired, sandle-wearing types who is all for changing some stuff up. Right now I can happily play....but who knows what the trailer will bring? Almost passed out last fall the first time I saw Thorin holding a sword to Bilbo.Shocked

Plus like many I fret over how much needs to get covered in this new movie, will Thranduil get IMO enough time (like lots!!!) and stuff that is in a bunch of other threads.

Anyway, for me, thanks to Lurker and others (including you w. some very cool contributions!) this agonizing delay for some has been more fun for me than anything else. I AM mad to get my hands on the EE tho!Crazy

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 29 2014, 2:19am

Post #148 of 206 (3699 views)
Shortcut
     Why are you staying behind? [In reply to]  

I'm so confusedCrazy???

Got lost in this whole Thranduil Appreciation thread, and being a glaz'd eyed Thorin Thrall isn't helping. I need a mapWink.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 2:51am

Post #149 of 206 (3691 views)
Shortcut
     Welcome. It's pretty neat eh? [In reply to]  

It's no biggie re the dwarfy pics, tend to show up on Thranduil image trawling expeditions Evil Plus, I'm sure Thranduil doesn't mind a bit of dwarf sharing the same frame as his glorious presence when it's happenstance. Tongue

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 2:54am

Post #150 of 206 (3731 views)
Shortcut
     LOL. And tis a lazy Sunday morn here [In reply to]  

Sunshine and rain Frown

FotR on tv, which is grrrreat! Except it's a multi-tasking challenge to be TORning and fanning at the same time.

Yes, it's quite nostalgic to visit the old Appreciation Threads! I wonder sometimes where the other Thralls went too. Especially Rowan Greene. I really liked her and we had a lot of similar opinions on things.Unsure

Well, I'm sure it's just RL being inconvenient. Smile

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.