Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How Will Elrond and Galadriel Fight Sauron If He Is Some Kind of Fluid Shadow?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Vepariga
The Shire

Jun 27 2014, 11:44pm

Post #26 of 60 (481 views)
Shortcut
He could.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Appear as a form of black mass in Saurons shape,like a physical shadow. When he is damaged and defeated he can loose his physical form and revert back to shadow and fade away. That could work, unless his Spirit possesses something to fight with perhaps?

- Vep - Guardsman of the woodland realm of Mirkwood -

Noria
Gondor

Jun 28 2014, 12:18am

Post #27 of 60 (482 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... the bang for the buck in that showdown is going to be some sort of face-off between Sauron and the White Council :)

I hope it'll be subtle like the confrontation between Sauron and Gandalf in DOS. It felt like a battle of powers without anyone drawing out a sword or using a ring. I liked it.

I don’t envision the White Council and Sauron waving swords at each other.

I imagine and hope for something more psychological, a battle of wills between a still somewhat weak Sauron and the combined members of the Council.

Somebody could actually fight with the Nazgul or any remaining orcs, but not many were strong enough to stand up to the Nine.

And of course Saruman could (and probably will) destroy the fortress with his “devices”.

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jun 28 2014, 12:38am

Post #28 of 60 (493 views)
Shortcut
Dol Guldur [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...And of course Saruman could (and probably will) destroy the fortress with his “devices”.

It was Galadriel who destroyed Dol Guldur, according to Tolkien.

Now his life is full of wonder
But his heart still knows some fear
Of a simple thing he cannot comprehend
Why they try to tear the mountains down
To bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 28 2014, 12:42am

Post #29 of 60 (486 views)
Shortcut
"Partying" in Hobbiton doesn't mean inattention or lack of concern. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf was surely monitoring Sauron all those years, even though he was also keeping an eye on the Shire, communicating with Elrond, Galadriel and the Rangers, occasionally visiting Erebor, Rohan and Gondor and other places, etc. He would hardly have exhibited his concern to the hobbits unnecessarily.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 28 2014, 12:44am

Post #30 of 60 (491 views)
Shortcut
Only much later. [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman helped the White Council drive the Necromancer out of Dol Guldur with his "devices" (which could have meant either strategies or physical devices). Galadriel destroyed Dol Guldur many years later, a few days after Sauron fell in the War of the Ring.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jun 28 2014, 12:45am)

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jun 28 2014, 12:59am

Post #31 of 60 (482 views)
Shortcut
OK [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Saruman helped the White Council drive the Necromancer out of Dol Guldur with his "devices" (which could have meant either strategies or physical devices). Galadriel destroyed Dol Guldur many years later, a few days after Sauron fell in the War of the Ring.

Thanks. I suspect then that Jackson will compress that into the last Hobbit film.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 28 2014, 1:06am

Post #32 of 60 (485 views)
Shortcut
Or he could save it... [In reply to] Can't Post

... for the hypothetical "War in the North" sequel some day.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jun 28 2014, 1:06am)

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jun 28 2014, 1:20am

Post #33 of 60 (482 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

JUST when Jackson thought he was OUT, they PULL him back in!

Name
Rohan

Jun 28 2014, 2:33am

Post #34 of 60 (471 views)
Shortcut
Sure [In reply to] Can't Post

But "monitoring" Sauron for 60 years shouldn't be Gandalf's goal. While Gondor was figuratively "falling appart" he should have been out there helping reestablish their kingdom of old, helping them strengthen their country and be prepared for Sauron, or better yet strike first. There's lots of things he could have done.

Now in the book universe it works out better and doesn't really need to be explained. But in the movie universe it's a little more obvious a flaw.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 28 2014, 3:31am

Post #35 of 60 (469 views)
Shortcut
Who says he wasn't... [In reply to] Can't Post

...frequently in Gondor trying to help? We have seen that he established a good rapport with Faramir, but Denethor was very resistant. So, it's unclear what more he could have done. Similarly, he was keenly aware of the situation in Rohan, but was not in a position to intervene until the time came (Ring found, Aragorn on the move, etc.).

I seriously doubt that this is a problem that would worry most movie-only fans.

Name
Rohan

Jun 28 2014, 4:02am

Post #36 of 60 (461 views)
Shortcut
That may be so [In reply to] Can't Post

But to me it's a rather large plot hole. The movies establish Sauron's return 60 years before LotR. To me that instantly brings up questions. And don't even get me started on Gandalf's 17 year expedition trying to learn about Frodo's ring........Laugh

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 28 2014, 5:00am

Post #37 of 60 (465 views)
Shortcut
The 17 years... [In reply to] Can't Post

...looms as a pretty big plot hole for me, too. Apparently Tolkien really wanted Frodo to set out at age 50 like Bilbo. Sometimes it's possible to be too consistent (or symmetrical, or whatever he was trying to be).

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Jun 28 2014, 10:12am

Post #38 of 60 (450 views)
Shortcut
I imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

it will be something similar to Gandalf vs Sauron fight, especially with Saruman and Radagast included. They are both Istari who can use magic, whether directly against Sauron or the Nine, but I believe we shall still see Sauron in action or at least I hope so.
I don't imagine Elrond fighting Sauron, but he could definitely fight Orcs and perhaps even the Ringwraiths. We don't know very much about Galadriel's powers but she may use her Phial or her ring Nenya in battle.

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Jun 28 2014, 12:20pm

Post #39 of 60 (467 views)
Shortcut
The Nazgul pay off. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have often wondered over why the script writers introduced the Nazgul in these movies and I see a potential reason.

At some point in this third film there is going to be a stand off between the White Council elements and Sauron and curiously at the end of it all the participants in the movie LOTR will all survive. So it is about the experience of journey.

So in order to add something fresh in story telling terms they can offer :-

1) Fresh and unique confrontations.

2) Intrigue and suspension.

The first is achieved(already achieved in DOS by Sauron/Gandalf)
by the White Council directly facing the Nazgul and Sauron.

The second is by placing the Nazgul at the forefront of the action who are overcome in mythological terms by the White Council providing Sauron with the opportunity to withdraw and feign defeat.

This gives back the critical tension to the Nazgul's emergence in FOTR and stops short of a defeat of Sauron which HAS to be ring bound. It also means as the BOFA rages Sauron is still at large as a mythological force of evil encouraging, by his spiritual presence, his armies.

I am sure we the audience will be left with the intrigue that not all is at is it seems and this is not a complete victory.

This would fit with BODG preceding the BOFA rather than act as an encore moment as it does in the book by way of a brief explanation only. I do not think the script writers will lose sight of where the heart of this story lies and that is the denouement for B/G and T which puts BOFA as the crescendo and they have elevated it already being giving the name of the movie to it.

I also believe based on whats been said by Sir Christopher that Saruman and Galadriel will provide proportionate and canon support.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Jun 28 2014, 12:22pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 28 2014, 12:26pm

Post #40 of 60 (419 views)
Shortcut
Very good points. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree 100%.

I guess they wanted to reveal Sauron in DoS and save the Nazgul for the last movie. Having both in the same movie may have been anti-climactic. It just stood out to be that there has been so much Nazgul teasing via the dagger and tomb storyline that it felt somehow unnatural to me not to see them in DoS.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Noria
Gondor

Jun 28 2014, 1:11pm

Post #41 of 60 (401 views)
Shortcut
Michelle I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

I too think that there will be a payoff in the third movie for the Nazgul in AUJ. Chekov's gun and all that.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jun 28 2014, 3:33pm

Post #42 of 60 (385 views)
Shortcut
Much as I'd like a 'War in the North' follow-up, [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't be surprised if Galadriel does destroy Dol Guldur in Hobbit 3.

Of course, if I were the movie makers, I'd be planning the 'War in the North' movies, right now.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 28 2014, 8:23pm

Post #43 of 60 (367 views)
Shortcut
Even if Jackson does let Galadriel bring down the walls... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron has sixty years to rebuild the fortress, which remains a stragegically important position.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Jun 29 2014, 7:50am

Post #44 of 60 (329 views)
Shortcut
2 Movie strategy [In reply to] Can't Post

Your right the teasing looks over extended but remember when the white council and high fells and early DG sections were filmed it was in block one in UK spring/ summer 2011, the three film split was way off in the future in creative terms.

When Cate and Sir Ian rehearsed those scenes as actors they had a two film payoff in their minds, Cate refers to the second movie.

When AUJ was released I remember saying that Radagast was left hanging, now we have seen DOS you can add the Nazgul storyline to that feel as well.

The thread of Radagast/White Council/High Fells and on to Dol Gulder for Bolg/Thrain was a really nice development of the sub plot which was fractured by going two to three.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Jun 29 2014, 7:55am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 29 2014, 1:28pm

Post #45 of 60 (298 views)
Shortcut
Oops! [In reply to] Can't Post

Typographical error. That should have read strategically.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Cillendor
Lorien

Jun 29 2014, 6:38pm

Post #46 of 60 (287 views)
Shortcut
The advantage to destroying Dol Guldur now [In reply to] Can't Post

is that it explains why Lothlórian was able to send troops to Helm's Deep in The Two Towers. In the book, they were fighting against forces from Dol Guldur, but having that tower destroyed early frees them up for their appearance later on. If anything, I think it's a happy coincidence that PJ had the elves show up in Rohan. It gives him an excuse to compress Galadriel's destruction of Dol Guldur into the time frame of The Hobbit. I'm sure it will be a visually spectacular scene.

dreamflower
Lorien

Jun 30 2014, 1:52pm

Post #47 of 60 (258 views)
Shortcut
But Saruman was already veering to the dark side [In reply to] Can't Post

Tale of Years: Third Age, 2939 (two years before the quest for Erebor)
"Saruman discovers that Sauron's servants are searching the Anduin near Gladden Fields, and that Sauron therefore has learned of Isildur's end. He is alarmed, but says nothing to the Council."

ToY, Third Age, 2941 (the adventure year)

"Thorin Oakenshield and Gandalf visit Bilbo in the Shire. Bilbo meets Sméagol-Gollum and finds the Ring. The White Council meets; Saruman agrees to an attack on Dol Guldur, since he now wishes to prevent Sauron from searching the River. Sauron having made his plans abandons Dol Guldur..."

It's fairly obvious that Saruman was already bent on retrieving the Ring for himself, otherwise he would have told the others where he suspected the location of the Ring to be. (Of course, he was already too late, since Gollum had retrieved it centuries before, but he wouldn't know that.)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 30 2014, 2:13pm

Post #48 of 60 (248 views)
Shortcut
Yes, in the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But Saruman was already veering to the dark side Tale of Years: Third Age, 2939 (two years before the quest for Erebor)
"Saruman discovers that Sauron's servants are searching the Anduin near Gladden Fields, and that Sauron therefore has learned of Isildur's end. He is alarmed, but says nothing to the Council."

ToY, Third Age, 2941 (the adventure year)

"Thorin Oakenshield and Gandalf visit Bilbo in the Shire. Bilbo meets Sméagol-Gollum and finds the Ring. The White Council meets; Saruman agrees to an attack on Dol Guldur, since he now wishes to prevent Sauron from searching the River. Sauron having made his plans abandons Dol Guldur..."

It's fairly obvious that Saruman was already bent on retrieving the Ring for himself, otherwise he would have told the others where he suspected the location of the Ring to be. (Of course, he was already too late, since Gollum had retrieved it centuries before, but he wouldn't know that.)

That doesn't necessarily apply to the films. Either that, or Christopher Lee is in a bit of denial.

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jun 30 2014, 2:21pm

Post #49 of 60 (241 views)
Shortcut
Denial [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That doesn't necessarily apply to the films. Either that, or Christopher Lee is in a bit of denial.

I had the same thought. I think of it in terms of he and Jackson not being completely in sync on story, especially when the script isn't done until the film leaves the editing room and is headed for the theater with Jackson still cutting it while in the taxi on the way.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2014, 2:26pm

Post #50 of 60 (236 views)
Shortcut
I think it's more a case of.... [In reply to] Can't Post

not wanting to spoil the surprise of FotR for the first time audience, as well as of course keeping narrative sense...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.