Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Movie Tech. Disc. 6 - Building Middle-earth: Costumes
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 15 2008, 9:51am

Post #1 of 84 (787 views)
Shortcut
Movie Tech. Disc. 6 - Building Middle-earth: Costumes Can't Post

Ngila Dickson grew up with a passion for clothing. When she was growing up it was the tradition in New Zealand for everyone to make her own clothes, and her mother was a fabulous seamstress. She also developed a passion for photography, words and books, and writing. In my opinion, she is also a terrific artist. At one period, sometime in the eighties, she ran her own fashion magazine called Cha-Cha, which combined clothing with photography, and at the same time was making clothes. She also used to sell clothes.

In 1989 she was offered a job working on the movie User Friendly and she found that working in the movie industry was what she really wanted to do. One of the movies she later worked on was Heavenly Creatures, directed by Peter Jackson. She was working on Xena and Hercules when she was told by Richard Taylor that Peter Jackson would really like her to come and work on The Lord of the Rings.

To design a costume for any particular character, Dickson would first look at all the different images that were available for that character and talk with Peter Jackson about the character. Next she would do a costume drawing.

"A costume drawing may appear to be the same kind of drawing as any other illustrator’s, but, in fact, if you are a good costume designer, you are telling a pattern maker how to make the costume through that drawing. They should be able to tell how to make the costume through that drawing. They should be able to tell how you want it constructed by that drawing." (1)

"Generally, I believe that when you go wrong with a costume, it is because you strayed from your drawing. If your drawing is right, and you feel really good about it, and it is what everyone agreed on, you will often find that the costume only goes wrong when you stop looking at that drawing. You’ll be looking at the fitting and saying, ‘Something is wrong with this.’ I will ask to see the drawing, and we’ll have it up on the board, and we’ll all look at it and go, ‘That’s what is wrong!’ It will be some element that hasn’t been done strictly according to the drawing. Sometimes, an actor is so completely different from what you envisioned that character to be that you really do have to rethink things. But, usually, I don’t like to design a costume until I know who the actor is. My drawings are very much like portraits of the actors." (2)

The costume drawing would then go to the wardrobe supervisor who would construct a calico of the costume. A calico is a costume made of just a very plain piece of fabric so that you can look at it on a costume dummy and see how the construction comes together. If everything looks O.K., the costume is made up in the proper fabric. If that looks O.K., it is then sent off to be dyed. The costume might go through a lengthy process of over-dying in order to get just the right quality of color. Over-dying is also part of the aging process. Afterwards, more physical aging might be required, such as scuffing hemlines, adding stains, darkening some parts, or fading out others. In the middle of all of this, with any luck, you get to have the actor put the costume on, and you might have to adjust the costume to the actor. This whole process might take up to six weeks, depending on the costume.

"Dickson used natural fabrics such as velvet, cotton, wool and linen so the costumes would wear incredibly well. ‘As soon as you get something that’s man made, you’re never going to get that look," she explains. "We worked those fabrics hard. No piece of fabric went on to a sewing machine that hadn’t been washed as many times as we could possibly put it through. And we dyed almost everything. The dye-house worked night and day. That’s another group of people who worked so amazingly hard, you can’t imagine. Dying is such an organic process and it’s so hard to be consistent with colours. You know, we’d go to them, We need another Frodo coat, exactly the same colour as the one from four months ago . . . It’s enough to bring tears to anyone’s eyes." (3)

"I think the reality is that both Richard [Taylor] and I are aware that you don’t know what the hell Peter’s going to do next. So the answer to that is be prepared for everything. And part of that is to be prepared for someone to say all of a sudden – Peter will say, ‘Wells, no, take that armor off’ or ‘Take that top off and we’ll do something where you look a lot more relaxed.’ If you haven’t made that whole under-part of the costume work, then you’re standing there going ‘Um . . . ’ One thing that none of us ever wanted to do was say no to Peter." (4)

Some interesting links:
http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/9434
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngila_Dickson
http://alleycatscratch.com/lotr/

As you probably know, Arwen’s Daughter has been doing a series of terrific discussions on some of the individual costumes that I have been enjoying a lot. It is absolutely fascinating to see the detail and workmanship that has gone into each and every one of them. Thank you, Arwen’s Daughter, for a close-up look at these beautiful costumes. I am looking forward to the next one.

I think everyone has an idea of how the costumes for the Hobbits, Elves, Dwarfs, and Orcs should look in the Hobbit movie. That leaves the men of Lake Town. What should their costumes be like?

In LOTR, the costuming of the Rivendell Elves was different from the Lothlorien Elves. How different do you think the Mirkwood Elves’ costumes should be from the Rivendell and Lothlorien Elves?

Is anyone into or does anyone have experience with costume-making in any capacity? Got any pictures? Got any good stories?

OhioHobbit wanted me (Alcarcalime) to include my costuming experience. I always made costumes for my children for Halloween. My favorite costume was a Roman soldier I made for my son when he was 9. The helmet is a WWII play helmet painted silver with a cardboard visor and chin straps and a red broom head glued to the top. His tunic is one of his father’s tee shirts with a red band sewed on. The red leather "skirt" is leather strips dyed red (I was doing leather work at this time and had pieces of cow hide around). The breast plate is a piece of cardboard that I cut to the shape I wanted. I made the design with white glue and painted the armor silver when the glue was dry. The cloak was a piece of red fabric. He had sandals on that I threaded with leather ties. The shield started out life as a piece of stove pipe. His dad cut it the right size and I painted it brown with a silver design. He was quite pleased with his costume. He always wanted his costumes to be realistic. When he was about 5, he wanted to be a hobo with an eye hanging out, so I put a bandage around his head covering one eye. I put red paint on it and pinned a ping-pong ball on a cut rubber band to the underside. I painted the ping-pong ball with a brown iris to look like his other eye. He loved it and didn’t want to take it off. Funny thing, at 35, he still hasn’t outgrown gory stuff.

Sources:
1. The Lord of the Rings Fan Club Official Movie Magazine, #3, ( pgs.58-67
)
2. The Lord of the Rings Fan Club Official Movie Magazine, #4, (pgs.54-63
)
Http://lilithlotr.ejwsites.net/articles/pavement/ngila.htm
. The Frodo Franchise, Kristin Thompson, pg. 79

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 15 2008, 10:04am

Post #2 of 84 (272 views)
Shortcut
Jewelry [In reply to] Can't Post

The Jewelry designer for LOTR was Jasmine Watson. She had always been interested in jewelry and both of her parents are artists. Her older sister graduated from art school a couple of years ahead of her and is a costume designer. She went to design school for four years and majored in jewelry design. After graduation she went to work on Hercules and Xena.

"I worked on those series for about four years with costume designer Ngila Dickson. So when she got the job for The Lord of the Rings, I was actually about to apply [to work on the films]. I had gone into her office on a Friday afternoon and confessed that I really wanted to work on The Lord of the Rings and was going to apply for a job - pretty much saying I may be leaving and feeling slightly guilty about it. On the following Monday, she made the announcement that she had in fact gotten the job as costume designer and then offered me the job of jewelry designer. So I was incredibly lucky." (1)

In designing a piece of jewelry, Watson would get her initial briefing from Ngila Dickson and Alan Lee. It was then up to her to come up with the design, basing it on what was discussed with Dickson and Lee and on Tolkien’s descriptions. That design would then go to Peter Jackson for approval. She had a team that varied from one person to five people, depending on how much jewelry was coming up that week, that she would coordinate to construct the jewelry. A typical example is the Elven brooch.

"We started off by finalizing the design that Ngila and I agreed was the best - that was in fact the one that actually Peter agreed was the best. So that was nice and easy. We went forward, and I then made a half dozen little mock-ups and painted them green and tried them on Elijah at his [costume] fitting with the cloak just of check the size. It sounds very basic, but that’s a very effective way of ruling out any problems before you get to the metal stage. To make the Eleven brooch, I used a very, very thick sheet of pure silver and cut out the leaf shape and then slightly shaped it from behind to give it the contour, just the slight curve of the leaf, like the natural form of a leaf. And then I engraved the top surface quite deeply, leaving an edge right around the outside because I knew I would be filling it with green resin. Once I engraved the top, I obviously got literally hundreds of those cast, while at the same time, enlarging my pattern by a third and reducing my pattern by a third, and so doing a version for the big scale double and the smaller scale double, because everything was done in three sizes. That always meant a trip down to the photocopier to get it really accurate. Then I engraved the top surface - it is actually really, really fine engraving. All of the tiny veins are engraved, and then you lay the resin on top, so that you can in fact see the tiny veins through it. And then, I also attached the wires and things. I think we made 80 Eleven brooches in the beginning, and that wasn’t including [the ones we made for] most of the riding doubles and fighting doubles and the river doubles that would actually go down the river and quite possibly get lost. I really made literally hundreds of them." (1.)

Does anyone make jewelry? When you see jewelry in a store or catalog, do you classify it to yourself as looking Elvish or not? Do you have any jewelry from the movies?

Sources:
1. The Lord of the Rings Fan Club Official Movie Magazine, #10, ( pgs 56-65
)

Elven
Valinor

Feb 15 2008, 12:25pm

Post #3 of 84 (247 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood Elves? ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I promise I'll be serious next post ...Wink

How different do you think the Mirkwood Elves’ costumes should be from the Rivendell and Lothlorien Elves?

Shoot me! Laugh

Amy Winehouse acquires Shire retreat for Summer ...

Amy Winehouse sells Shire retreat in Autumn ...

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 15 2008, 12:36pm

Post #4 of 84 (225 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're a naughty girl, my dear! Laugh

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 15 2008, 1:06pm

Post #5 of 84 (240 views)
Shortcut
Ngila and her costumes [In reply to] Can't Post

That was quite an experience when I finally had watched the movies enough to tear me away from the storyline itself; at first I didn't look so closely. But even the first look was great, and when I finally had more time to appreciate the costumes - and of course, later in the extras - I was truly amazed to how much lengths they have gone to give the costumes the right look. And I appreciate it even more because I know that I couldn't have made even the simplest one - I'm absolutely hopeless when it comes to sewing. The only needles I have use for are knitting needles ;-)

The detail - as is true of so many other things - was amazing. So much of it was barely recognisable on the screen, and still, they did it. I loved the idea of creating an own style for every race, and not so much because it made them more distinguishable, but because it just seemed so right and logical that every culture had their own style. Ngila and her team put so much thought into these things!

Wasn't on one of the extra DVD (TTT or maybe RotK) something that they put the device of Rohan *inside* of Theoden's armour or costume (hm, I have to watch these again, but I don't have them at hand now) to give him the right *feeling* - even if nobody other than Bernard Hill and a handful of helpers ever saw it? That was one of these things that left me rather speechless in the face of so much thought to the detail - or should I say, geekiness? Wink

As for the elves of Mirkwood ... I'd expect something along the lines of what Legolas was wearing, at least the warriors. Thranduil probably something more elegant, of course. And somehow I see them mostly in green.
Hm, weren't at the Council of Elrond some elves that looked like they were from Mirkwood? In the background sat some blondes I always thought of as Legolas' companions. Didn't he held them back when the argument broke out?

And Alcarcalime did a great job with this Roman costume - I'm impressed!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2008, 3:24pm

Post #6 of 84 (210 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, kindly! [In reply to] Can't Post

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 15 2008, 5:19pm

Post #7 of 84 (221 views)
Shortcut
A bit more rustic than the Rivendell Elves. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even so, the costuming here has gone way beyond even The Lord of the Rings. And Weta has out done themselves. The sword, the bow, the quiver, the detail, it is all just…just…well it just is. Smile

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 15 2008, 5:37pm

Post #8 of 84 (246 views)
Shortcut
Yah! Costumes! [In reply to] Can't Post

The level of detail in these still astounds me! And the thought process that went into them. For instance, Arwen and Eowyn both wear velvets, but Eowyn only wears cotton velvet, which is stiffer and tougher, while Arwen and the elves wear silk velvet, which is more delicate and much plusher. The way that Ngila used certain color groups on certain people and races as well as certain fabrics and certain patterns, I love the amount of thought she put into these.

I know that Arwen was a particular challenge because they changed her storyline halfway through the movies. Because of this, they had to invent new costumes during filming. I remember hearing Ngila say that they would make three costumes for Liv, full costumes, let PJ choose one, and put the other two on background elves!

And the aging process got more difficult as they went. Frodo and Sam's costumes in ROTK, for instance, had to include a dozen or so shirts that were all aged to the same level. So that if they tore them on set, or added more dirt, or whatever it was, they had to tell the wardrobe house exactly what they had done so that the other shirts could be made to match them exactly.

I think everyone has an idea of how the costumes for the Hobbits, Elves, Dwarfs, and Orcs should look in the Hobbit movie. That leaves the men of Lake Town. What should their costumes be like?
This is really a tough question. My own thought would be to go with basic Medieval tunics and pants, but I think that's too obvious. Whatever the filmmakers decide to do, I'm sure it will be more interesting than what I could come up with!

In LOTR, the costuming of the Rivendell Elves was different from the Lothlorien Elves. How different do you think the Mirkwood Elves’ costumes should be from the Rivendell and Lothlorien Elves?
This is a question that I really want to see answered. The Rivendell elves were in autumn colors and the Lothlorien elves in suble blues and greens and silvers. My guess is that they'll want the Mirkwood elves in darker, more menacing colors, but also try to keep in mind Legolas' green and leafy costume. I wonder if they'll have seperate costume styles for Ranger-elves and Court-elves? That would make sense, I think. And it would allow them to incorporate Legolas' style and Elrond's style.

Is anyone into or does anyone have experience with costume-making in any capacity? Got any pictures? Got any good stories?
You can see my Eowyn gown here. It was my first costume. In fact, I learned to sew because of LOTR! I've been making costumes ever since.

As you probably know, Arwen’s Daughter has been doing a series of terrific discussions on some of the individual costumes that I have been enjoying a lot. It is absolutely fascinating to see the detail and workmanship that has gone into each and every one of them. Thank you, Arwen’s Daughter, for a close-up look at these beautiful costumes. I am looking forward to the next one.
Aw, thanks. Blush I'm just glad you guys enjoy looking at these costumes as much as I do!

These posts are fantastic. Keep them coming! And I love your son's Roman costume. Homemade costumes were always my favorite as a kid Smile

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
February's Screencap of the Day Schedule

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2008, 5:44pm

Post #9 of 84 (212 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I don't think... [In reply to] Can't Post

I ever bought costumes for my children. Partly because with the way they grew, it was a one shot deal, and because it was safer without a mask over his or her face. I did use "Family Circle Magazine" and "Woman's Day" magazine for ideas.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 15 2008, 6:25pm

Post #10 of 84 (211 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

How long did it take you to make that outfit, A.d.? It's stunning!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 15 2008, 6:50pm

Post #11 of 84 (200 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

That costume took me about a year to make. Most of that time was spent worrying over the patterns and the mock-up because I had very little idea what I was doing. I worried over every little step and made more than a few mistakes with it, but I have to say that it's my favorite thing that I've made so far.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
February's Screencap of the Day Schedule

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2008, 7:37pm

Post #12 of 84 (205 views)
Shortcut
Even better ... [In reply to] Can't Post

How 'bout this costuming???

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lunamoth
Rohan

Feb 15 2008, 7:47pm

Post #13 of 84 (204 views)
Shortcut
pantless [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How 'bout this costuming???

I'm more than a little bit concerned that Robin Hood doesn't seem to be wearing any pants. Shocked

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2008, 9:11pm

Post #14 of 84 (187 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit to Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

What I really enjoy about the Hobbit costumes is how there is a bigger version, and a smaller version. The fact that the costume makers were able to make two different copies of the costumes right down to the same details just amazes me. On that note, I like the patterns on the vests for the Hobbits. They seem to really capture the nature motif of the Hobbits in my eyes. I love it! Smile

"Death is just another pathway . . . one which we all must take."

-Gandalf from "The Return of the King"

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 15 2008, 11:48pm

Post #15 of 84 (194 views)
Shortcut
80 elven brooches? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yikes, these people did a lot of work!

I really like the design of the elven brooch pins -- that silver sort of loop that goes around it is a nice touch.

It's interesting to read how people found their way into the Fellowship of the Films. Did they ever even place any want-ads for any of these jobs? It just seems that people just applied, or offered to help, or whatever...!

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 15 2008, 11:59pm

Post #16 of 84 (179 views)
Shortcut
Now that's something I hadn't thought about before -- the poor dyers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you imagine being one of the people who had to make sure they got the colors exactly right like that? And not just once, but many, many times? They move up on my list of unsung heros, right next to that guy who made the chainmail by hand or the people who made Denethor's sword that we never even see...

I love that photo of N. Dickson -- here's this woman who makes all these elaborate costumes and she's dressed in basic black. But she looks great in it -- she's definitely a class act.

Reading this makes me think just what "would" happen if you said no to Peter Jackson? He doesn't sound like the kind of guy who would go ballistic on you...my guess is that no one wanted to disappoint him, and that the focus on the set was always "how CAN we do this?" and not on "we can't because...". Jackson seems to have inspired people to find a way to get people to stretch themselves to higher levels of achievement -- people were no doubt mad and frustrated at different points, but no one ever seems to give up.

It's interesting also to read about how important the drawing is to the creation of a costume -- I can see where that would help you keep your focus. It must be fun to see something take form like that, going from a sketch to a "calico" (that's a new one for me) to the real costume and then to seeing it worn by the actor.

Looking at the finished costumes, they don't look like props -- they seem to carry the personalities of the characters with them. Those aren't just costumes -- those are Frodo's clothes, etc!

Kind of makes me respect the contents of my laundry basket a bit more...

Thanks for another interesting lesson!

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 16 2008, 12:01am

Post #17 of 84 (179 views)
Shortcut
Your Eowyn gown is beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking as someone who never got past making Barbie doll clothes, I am impressed.

Do you just make costumes or sew for fun? I would bet a local theater group would kill to find out about you -- you are really good!

Weaver

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 16 2008, 12:02am

Post #18 of 84 (176 views)
Shortcut
Geekiness [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think that I thought very much about the costumes the first time through, either. It was kind of like I thought subconsciously, "Well, of course that is how the Hobbits would look, and of course that is how the Elves would look." Everything just seemed right.

That was one of these things that left me rather speechless in the face of so much thought to the detail - or should I say, geekiness?

I think that Geekiness is exactly the right word. these movies were made by fans.

Hmm, I never thought about the Elves at the Council of Elrond. I think that you might have something there.

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 16 2008, 12:04am

Post #19 of 84 (172 views)
Shortcut
As one Hobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would dearly love to own a vest like one of those. I particularly like the color of Bilbo's and the quilting pattern on Merry's.

What amazes me is that even the scale of the fabric weave is different between the large and small costumes.

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 16 2008, 12:08am

Post #20 of 84 (176 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if I can program a key on my keyboard to automatically insert, "Wow!" I could really use it. Your gown is fantastic! And I love all of the information and detail that you have there. If that was your first costume, I can't imagine where you went from there.

One reason that I admire things like this so much is because garment making is a big mystery to me. Alcarcalime told me about her mother's mother. Her daughters would go through the Sears & Roebuck catalog and say that they liked this skirt, that top, those sleeves, and that collar, and she would make the patterns out of newspaper and make whatever they wanted. It is all just beyond me.

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 16 2008, 1:17am

Post #21 of 84 (176 views)
Shortcut
The Fellowship of the Films. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that! That's exactly what it was. I think the thing that fascinates me the most is where these people came from and how they ended up working on these films.

By the way, I didn't intend for the picture of the Elven brooch to end up so large, but when I went to post it, it was too late to change it. It takes forever for it to come up on my computer, so for you fellow sibs with dial-up -- sorry about that. It does show a lot of detail, though.

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 16 2008, 1:22am

Post #22 of 84 (169 views)
Shortcut
Unsung heroes [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems like there are so many unsung heroes involved in these movies. Actually, "Unsung Heroes" is the title of one of the running features in The Lord of the Rings Fan Club Official Movie Magazine.

I think that "class act" is a good description of Ngila Dickson. I have nothing but admiration for her.

I think that not wanting to disappoint someone is so much more powerful than being afraid of what someone might do. People bend over backwards for Peter because they want to.

You mentioned the drawings. I think that Ngila's drawings are wonderful. Her costumes are so stunning that no one talks about her drawings.

No, the costumes don't look like just props. That brings up a question. Does anyone know who got to keep what costumes?

Elven
Valinor

Feb 16 2008, 1:59am

Post #23 of 84 (181 views)
Shortcut
LOL! The sad thing is though .. [In reply to] Can't Post

that it actually does look a little like Orlando Bloomers .... Laugh
As Ataahua would say ... "Its just ... its just .... WRONG!" Crazy Laugh

I'll behave now Cool

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

Elven
Valinor

Feb 16 2008, 2:21am

Post #24 of 84 (169 views)
Shortcut
Oh! *applause* [In reply to] Can't Post

You are so skilled Arwen's daughter!! Your gown is just wonderful!! I cant maginw what it must have been like to make that ... I like sewing a bit, but Im not sure I would even think of tackling something like that .... and I love the dress of Eowyns you chose to recreate! there is a love and passion there in your work, you can see it! You're inspirational! ... and I love the fimo belt, and I understand the problem with them not being able to hold up sometimes as well ... *sigh* .. how frustrating for you ... maybe you could use Silver clay? Once its fired its as hard as, and Im sure you can burnish or colour it somehow as well ... or maybe find a base and use the gold wire for the intricate bits ... you could use a wig-jig to get the flower pattern all standard ..

your work is beautiful!!

Thankyou for showing!
Cheers
Elven

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Whom do you serve!"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 16 2008, 2:54am

Post #25 of 84 (187 views)
Shortcut
As I was reading Ngila's [In reply to] Can't Post

this description of how to make the costumes successfully:

when you go wrong with a costume, it is because you strayed from your drawing. If your drawing is right, and you feel really good about it, and it is what everyone agreed on, you will often find that the costume only goes wrong when you stop looking at that drawing. You’ll be looking at the fitting and saying, ‘Something is wrong with this.’ I will ask to see the drawing, and we’ll have it up on the board, and we’ll all look at it and go, ‘That’s what is wrong!’ It will be some element that hasn’t been done strictly according to the drawing.

I couldn't help but think of how much this reminds me of what Peter, Philippa and Fran would say about when they were making the film and something didn't feel right; or they were going off in the wrong direction. As soon as they went back to the book and followed what Tolkien had done... everything was alright. His was the best way.

She's so organic in her approach to costuming. The clothes belong to the wearer and defined that character as much as any dialog or makeup. Look at that room of costumes! Oh cripes, I could spend a year just going through those one at a time and study the beadwork, stitching, cloth, colour, wear, fasteners... and I can't even use a sewing machine without stitching my fingers together!

Fabulous! This is wonderful, OhioHobbit!

And Alcarcalime... WOW on the costume you've created! You should offer your "wears" for Halloween and special occasions! Fantastic!!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.