The scariest scene from the book
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2014, 1:52pm

Post #1 of 30 (936 views)
Shortcut
The scariest scene from the book Can't Post

The other day I was having a debate and we talked about the black riders wich reminded me the scene I find most scary of all books

Mine:

When Frodo, Sam and Pippin are leaving Bag End at night and Ffrodo ears the Gaffer talking to some stranger (wich is SPOILERS a black rider)

The sense of what could had happened if Frodo would have gone that way, Oh My!

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 27 2014, 2:44pm

Post #2 of 30 (706 views)
Shortcut
My scariest would be Eowyn vs the Witch-King [In reply to] Can't Post

On first read, I was certain she was a goner, and Merry too. My fear of the Nazgul had only grown since they first chased Frodo through the Shire, and there on the Pelennor, with Theoden down and his army scattered, and severed heads being catapulted into Minas Tirith while the city was on fire--all that and more built up to a very scary confrontation with the Chief Nazgul that I was sure was going to go bad in a very evil way.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 27 2014, 3:25pm

Post #3 of 30 (699 views)
Shortcut
Agree with the black riders but also Moria [In reply to] Can't Post

The Balrog was pretty scary too!

Felagund
Rohan

Jun 27 2014, 4:38pm

Post #4 of 30 (686 views)
Shortcut
Chamber of Mazarbul [In reply to] Can't Post

The creeping dread as the Fellowship discovers how Balin's colony came to a grisly end, coupled with the dawning realisation that they may suffer a similar fate. Gets me every time.

Welcome to the Mordorfone network, where we put the 'hai' back into Uruk

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2014, 7:21pm

Post #5 of 30 (685 views)
Shortcut
Sam and his confrontation with the Watchers in Minas Morgul [In reply to] Can't Post

That inexplicable force resisting him and the piercing shriek, I thought he was going to be caught for sure!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 27 2014, 8:35pm

Post #6 of 30 (691 views)
Shortcut
Mine [In reply to] Can't Post

It was already nearly as hot as it had been the day before; but clouds were beginning to come up from the West. It looked likely to turn to rain. The hobbits scrambled down a steep green bank and plunged into the thick trees below. Their course had been chosen to leave Woodhall to their left, and to cut slanting through the woods that clustered along the eastern side of the hills, until they reached the flats beyond. Then they could make straight for the Ferry over country that was open, except for a few ditches and fences. Frodo reckoned they had eighteen miles to go in a straight line.
He soon found that the thicket was closer and more tangled than it had appeared. There were no paths in the undergrowth, and they did not get on very fast. When they had struggled to the bottom of the bank, they found a stream running down from the hills behind in a deeply dug bed with steep slippery sides overhung with brambles. Most inconveniently it cut across the line they had chosen. They could not jump over it, nor indeed get across it at all without getting wet, scratched, and muddy. They halted, wondering what to do. ‘First check!’ said Pippin, smiling grimly.
Sam Gamgee looked back. Through an opening in the trees he caught a glimpse of the top of the green bank from which they had climbed down.
‘Look!’ he said, clutching Frodo by the arm. They all looked, and on the edge high above them they saw against the sky a horse standing. Beside it stooped a black figure.
[FOTR, Ch. 4: A Short Cut to Mushrooms]

Stuff of nightmares.

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 27 2014, 11:12pm

Post #7 of 30 (662 views)
Shortcut
It's a toss-up for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Either the descriptions of the sniffing Black Riders and all of the things Silverlode excellently described a few days ago, or in Moria when the hobbits (don't have the books ready at the moment, it might just be Frodo) hear--or, again, think they hear--the sound of bare feet behind them in Moria.

The feeling of being followed gives me the creeps, especially in the dark. Books I and II of the trilogy capture that horrifying dread quite well.

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 28 2014, 1:29am

Post #8 of 30 (655 views)
Shortcut
all of this.. [In reply to] Can't Post

hobbits being tracked by black riders

the horribly spooky barrow downs

the watcher in the water

gollum dogging them in moria

the watchers at the stair

shelob

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 28 2014, 2:13am

Post #9 of 30 (670 views)
Shortcut
Not sure if I can give just one...how about a top three? [In reply to] Can't Post

When it reached the tree and was level with Frodo the horse stopped. The riding figure sat quite still with its head bowed, as if listening. From inside the hood came a noise as of someone sniffing to catch an elusive scent; the head turned from side to side of the road.
A sudden unreasoning fear of discovery laid hold of Frodo, and he thought of his Ring. He hardly dared to breathe, and yet the desire to get it out of his pocket became so strong that he began slowly to move his hand....

"Frodo! Hoy!" came the thin voices out of the mist: and then a cry that sounded like help, help! often repeated, ending with a last help! that trailed off into a long wail suddenly cut short. ...Only the change in the level of the ground at his feet told him when he at last came to the top of a ridge or hill. He was weary, sweating and yet chilled. It was wholly dark. "Where are you?" he cried out miserably.
...Out of the east the biting wind was blowing. To his right there loomed against the westward stars a dark black shape. A great barrow stood there.
'Where are you?" he cried again, both angry and afraid.
"Here!" said a voice, deep and cold, that seemed to come out of the ground. "I am waiting for you!"
"No!" said Frodo; but he did not run away. His knees gave, and he fell on the ground. ...Trembling, he looked up, in time to see a tall dark figure like a shadow against the stars. It leaned over him. ...Then a grip stronger and colder than iron seized him. The icy touch froze his bones, and he remembered no more.
...Suddenly a song began: a cold murmur, rising and falling. The voice seemed far away and immeasurably dreary...The night was railing against the morning of which it was bereaved, and the cold was cursing the warmth for which it hungered.
...Round the corner a long arm was groping, walking on its fingers toward Sam, who was lying nearest, and towards the hilt of the sword that lay upon him.

We cannot get out. They have taken the Bridge and the second hall. Frár and Lóni and Náli fell there. .....went 5 days ago. The pool is up to the wall at Westgate. The Watcher in the Water took Óin. We cannot get out. The end comes. ....drums, drums in the deep....they are coming

Now I'm going to go hide under the covers for a bit, if you don't mind. Shocked

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2014, 2:50am

Post #10 of 30 (639 views)
Shortcut
Oooh!!! Good one!! I like that!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot about the Drums in the Deep! I think I need to re-read LotR, this is a sign I've gone too long!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 28 2014, 4:11am

Post #11 of 30 (662 views)
Shortcut
I’ve got claustrophobia – this scares the jeez outta me [In reply to] Can't Post

Pippin had vanished. The crack, by which he had laid himself, had closed together, so that not a chink could be seen. Merry was trapped: another crack had closed about his waist; his legs lay outside, but the rest of him was inside a dark opening, the edges of which gripped like a pair of pincers.

A thing of nightmares... Brrrr! MadMad

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
-Albert Einstein

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 28 2014, 5:44am

Post #12 of 30 (628 views)
Shortcut
Ack! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like you've done it to me again. Laugh You seem to pick out great spooky passages, though.

Another one that I just remembered is Gollum-related, when he attempts to climb up the flet as the group progresses through Lorien. The description of those moments through Frodo's(?) eyes, along with the Elves' eyewitness accounts, give me goosebumps. (The idea of Gollum being identified as some type of large, dark squirrel has always interested me, too.)

*hides under covers, too*

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 28 2014, 11:53am

Post #13 of 30 (633 views)
Shortcut
Scariest... [In reply to] Can't Post

... when they climb down a hill still in teh Shire, look back up and see a figure against the sky on top of the hill... that is so scary.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2014, 11:54am

Post #14 of 30 (611 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that would be my second one! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 28 2014, 1:42pm

Post #15 of 30 (618 views)
Shortcut
when the [In reply to] Can't Post

when the elves started singing, "tra-la-lally..."

.... that was +petrifying+.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2014, 2:27pm

Post #16 of 30 (597 views)
Shortcut
hahahahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

come onTongue

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 28 2014, 7:55pm

Post #17 of 30 (602 views)
Shortcut
Forgot about these [In reply to] Can't Post

the horribly spooky barrow downs

the watcher in the water

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 28 2014, 7:57pm

Post #18 of 30 (581 views)
Shortcut
Until your lovely description I never realized how terrifying that would be! [In reply to] Can't Post

dubulous
Rohan

Jun 28 2014, 11:34pm

Post #19 of 30 (586 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure about scary [In reply to] Can't Post

but to me the best suspense was the whole start of the journey for the hobbits as they were on their own and hunted by the black riders.

Also the drums in the deep (in Moria).

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2014, 3:17am

Post #20 of 30 (558 views)
Shortcut
we are on the same track [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 3:59am

Post #21 of 30 (564 views)
Shortcut
and when [In reply to] Can't Post

and when lobelia showed up early at bag end to take possession... and went through the list of inventory multiple times.... that was +really scarey!+

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 6:15pm

Post #22 of 30 (544 views)
Shortcut
Yeah! But..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lobelia had to do the dishes.

Now that there's scary! I don't care who you are - that there's scary. Cool

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
-Albert Einstein

Wilros
The Shire

Jun 29 2014, 6:50pm

Post #23 of 30 (543 views)
Shortcut
Shelob's Eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, the description of Shelob in general, and her eyes in particular are very creepy:

Even as Frodo spoke he felt a great malice bent upon him, and a deadly regard considering him. Not far down the tunnel, between them and the opening where they had reeled and stumbled, he was aware of eyes growing visible, two great clusters of many-windowed eyes – the coming menace was unmasked at last. The radiance of the star-glass was broken and thrown back from their thousand facets, but behind the glitter a pale deadly fire began steadily to glow within, a flame kindled in some deep pit of evil thought. Monstrous and abominable eyes they were, bestial and yet filled with purpose and with hideous delight, gloating over their prey trapped beyond all hope of escape.

Neldoreth
The Shire

Jun 30 2014, 6:27pm

Post #24 of 30 (561 views)
Shortcut
Barrow downs [In reply to] Can't Post

That was definitely the scariest for me..it was the one scene I hesitated to read to my daughters! I did anyway, and they weren't nearly as bothered about it as I was! Oh, who am I kidding, it still gives me the creeps every time I read it!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 19 2014, 2:01pm

Post #25 of 30 (478 views)
Shortcut
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this scene [In reply to] Can't Post

As they prepared for sleep in the inn at Bree, darkness lay on Buckland; a mist strayed in the dells and along the river-bank. The house at Crickhollow stood silent. Fatty Bolger opened the door cautiously and peered out. A feeling of fear had been growing on him all day, and he was unable to rest or go to bed: there was a brooding threat in the breathless night-air. As he stared out into the gloom, a black shadow moved under the trees; the gate seemed to open of its own accord and close again without a sound. Terror seized him. He shrank back, and for a moment he stood trembling in the hall. Then he shut and locked the door.

The night deepened. There came the soft sound of horses led with stealth along the lane. Outside the gate they stopped, and three black figures entered, like shades of night creeping across the ground. One went to the door, one to the corner of the house on either side; and there they stood, as still as the shadows of stones, while night went slowly on. The house and the quiet trees seemed to be waiting breathlessly.

There was a faint stir in the leaves, and a cock crowed far away. The cold hour before dawn was passing. The figure by the door moved. In the dark without moon or stars a drawn blade gleamed, as if a chill light had been unsheathed.

[FOTR, Ch. 11: A Knife in the Dark]

*shudders*

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.