Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Sigh. Now we've got hand/foot/mouth, or Coxsackie, virus....

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 5:58am

Post #1 of 19 (310 views)
Shortcut
Sigh. Now we've got hand/foot/mouth, or Coxsackie, virus.... Can't Post

Mommy needs a break Frown They've only been better for a week!

Though it isn't exactly chicken pox, the itchy rash is slightly similar. I've never dealt with chicken pox, and was very little when I had it so don't remember. Does anyone have tips on how to keep a 2 year old from scratching so she doesn't infect the small blisters?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated Smile You all were wonderful with tips for the croup we had a few weeks back, and I'm hoping that there is "itchy rash" experience out there who can help me stay sane as we try to endure this next round...as I said, I've never dealt with it before...

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Jun 27 2014, 6:01am)

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 27 2014, 8:41am

Post #2 of 19 (235 views)
Shortcut
My sympathies [In reply to] Can't Post

Years ago I was working at a camp for children with special needs, and hand, foot and mouth virus went through the camp participants. It was a miserable experience for everyone.
Have your children got many blisters in their mouths? Here in NZ the only recommended treatment is to take paracetamol, drink lots of fluids, and to avoid salty, spicy or sour foods to lessen mouth and tongue irritation.
Adults and children I have known who have had this have not found the blisters itchy, but rather painful, especially the ones in the mouth, and on the soles of the feet.
Presumably you might be able to use a topical external application of something safe for little ones if you child is miserable and itchy.
I hope the recovery is speedy. One of these days everyone will be well again. Smile

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2014, 11:58am

Post #3 of 19 (229 views)
Shortcut
We used my white handbell gloves [In reply to] Can't Post

with my daughter and played "dress up". She was about 2&1/2 at the time. The gloves stopped her from scratching. You could find something like that to put on her hands to help her remember not to scratch. Your pediatrician may be able to recommend or prescribe something but, as a pharmacist, I tend to tell parents to stay away from cortisone creams, especially over a large area with broken skin. They are too much for a little one.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 27 2014, 2:01pm

Post #4 of 19 (221 views)
Shortcut
Oh my! I'm so sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

I bet their immune systems may have been "down" a bit from the previous battle. I wish had tips, but nothing beyond what's been said already.

I missed it from last time--did you get to postpone your jury duty?

You'll all be in my prayers!

Annael
Immortal

Jun 27 2014, 3:03pm

Post #5 of 19 (218 views)
Shortcut
cut her nails as short as you can [In reply to] Can't Post

and remember: this too shall pass.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 6:19pm

Post #6 of 19 (201 views)
Shortcut
unfortunately [In reply to] Can't Post

yes- her mouth and chin are covered in blisters Unsure

Paracetamol? I haven't heard of that...

We got lots of apple juice knowing she will drink it, and marked her water bottle with her name so her sister won't accidentally drink out of it (the bottles are identical).

Thanks Evil I sure hope so!

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 6:22pm

Post #7 of 19 (201 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

we don't have white dress up gloves, but I can probably convince her to wear mittens...if it weren't so hot. She tends to take them on and off all day, but I can certainly give it a shot!

We got Benadryl cream for little ones. Would that be too much for her? We have debated doing the oral Benadryl instead (had oral baby zyrtec, but it didn't seem to work) since we can't do both at the same time. Everything on her has it from the waist down, and her arms and around her mouth (didn't put it on her mouth though- we didn't want her to swallow it by accident). Even the Benadryl cream didn't seem to work that well, though strangely she seemed to sleep better on my quilt than anywhere else, so we took it off my bed and laid it on the floor. It was still a restless night, but a bit better than before...

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 6:24pm

Post #8 of 19 (203 views)
Shortcut
yes thank the Lord! [In reply to] Can't Post

My doctor sent a note for my chronic issue, so they postponed it six months. I am hoping (fingers crossed) that by that time they will forget about me altogether Wink At least it was something Smile

Thanks- we appreciate it! Evil Last time I asked tornsibs for help, her fever broke the next morning, and I fully believe in the power of prayer!Heart

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 6:26pm

Post #9 of 19 (201 views)
Shortcut
will do [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks! Evil

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 27 2014, 8:59pm

Post #10 of 19 (199 views)
Shortcut
Paracetamol [In reply to] Can't Post

is a common over the counter pain reliever, which you can get in liquid as well as tablet form. It is the most commonly used pain relief for children here. I did a quick search, and I think it is called Tylenol in the USA.

Those blisters are so yucky. Poor little person. Frown

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 27 2014, 9:59pm

Post #11 of 19 (205 views)
Shortcut
We'll pray for you -- in the meantime... [In reply to] Can't Post

if the rash is all over, you can try an oatmeal bath. Worked wonderfully for the kids for all manner of rashes/hives.

When I had chickenpox in my youth my Mom applied Calamine Lotion to the blisters with a cotton ball, and made me stay in a cool dark room. A black and white TV wasn't part of the cure but it was cool when she moved it into my room to keep me entertained!

Here's a link to some general info about Coxsackie Virus. Seems a high fever is an early symptom.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jun 27 2014, 10:00pm)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 27 2014, 11:22pm

Post #12 of 19 (188 views)
Shortcut
The generic name is Acetaminophen in US.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 11:23pm

Post #13 of 19 (188 views)
Shortcut
gotcha :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Tylenol and ibuprofen are the pain relievers here- Tylenol is generally safe for everyone, and ibuprofen is ok in most instances (it's a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, or NSAID, so it's not good for anyone who might be bleeders, and for babies younger than I think six months or a year or something like that- all I know is she can have it now).

Yeah- poor kid is covered waist down in nasty blisters, and her arms and inside and outside of her mouth as well. I get cold sores on occasion, and I can't imagine having a whole mouth covered inside and out with them Frown Poor baby Unsure

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 27 2014, 11:26pm

Post #14 of 19 (195 views)
Shortcut
It's been a loooong time since any chicken pox at our house [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm thinking baking soda might help. I think you add it to the bath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 11:34pm

Post #15 of 19 (190 views)
Shortcut
she's two [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if she can do calamine lotion just yet, but I will check it out.

We tried the oatmeal bath last night, but I think there might have been either too much water or not enough oatmeal- I dunno. Thanks for the link though- I only have three packets of it (now two) so I will probably end up needing to make more Smile

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 11:36pm

Post #16 of 19 (188 views)
Shortcut
thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

cornstarch in the bath was also suggested Smile

Believe me, I'm desperate for the itching to stop so the poor baby can sleep. She's had an awful month, which is weird because she doesn't usually get sick. I will try out some of these remedies and see which one seems to work best Smile

Thanks all!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 28 2014, 3:10am

Post #17 of 19 (179 views)
Shortcut
Yes, very much. And [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad they postponed the jury duty!

I sure wish I had more advice, but my kids never got chicken pox (vaccine) and only a very mild Coxsackie. I can't imagine how she must be feeling, poor baby.

And I bet you want some sleep right about now!ShockedUnsureEvil

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2014, 3:42am

Post #18 of 19 (178 views)
Shortcut
Benedryl cream is only for very small areas [In reply to] Can't Post

like a mosquito bite that itches. I don't recommend it much because it tends to sensitize the skin and after a few applications can produce more itching.

Oral Benadryl for a short amount of time can work but it's tricky in little ones. Some children have a paradoxical hyperactive/insomnia reaction instead of going to sleep. There are antihistamine liquids by prescription that are stronger than Benadryl. Whatever you decide, I would keep the pediatrician up on her symptoms and what you've tried. At the very least, they should be charting everything in case they need to give recommendations.

Oatmeal baths are the best non-medicine treatment you can give. Not too warm, just tepid which works anyway since it's so warm.

Good luck. I remember my kids going through something similar. It's miserable. Unsure

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 28 2014, 4:02am

Post #19 of 19 (182 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the tips [In reply to] Can't Post

we got oral Benadryl, and my mother in law is a very intelligent NP (she got her master's degree free, if that's any indication of her brain, as it was an academic scholarship) and told me the amount to give her based on the mg/ml ratio on it. If necessary, we'll use it. She's been passed out on our walk in closet floor with the door open (put her crib mattress in there, but she rolled off it last night so we made a bed on the floor with my quilt, which seemed to be the only thing she could sleep on, with the door open so we don't accidentally step on her in the middle of the night) so I'm hoping she's able to catch up on her sleep and get some much needed rest without medicine.

Tried the oatmeal bath, it helped a little but not a ton. Will try cornstarch bath next and see if that works better if necessary Smile

Thanks for the luck! I have never had it, so fingers crossed I don't get it, but there's a couple bumps on my mouth now and throat is sore, so not sure if I've got it or not (I'm prone to cold sores)...and my eldest has a fever now too. Goody...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.