Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 27 2014, 4:49am

Post #1 of 7 (220 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Greetings, fellow TORn walkers! It's summer for many of us, time for lots of busyness and change; winter for others of us, time for... well, pretty much the same things! What better way to celebrate than by journeying through Middle Earth by tracking the miles we travel on this Earth?

Iolani, I'm so glad to hear things are going well! gramma, thanks for the well-wishes - they worked! Joe-M, what an impressive meadowlark! Everyone else - come join us!

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 24
Cumulative miles: 1317
Goal: There and Back Again!

My back is better, thanks to time, walking, a trip to the chiropractor, walking... did I mention walking? So my mileage is on track and I'm cautiously looking forward to some weed-pulling this weekend. Actually, I'm not - I hate bindweed - but it needs doing and I'm the family designee.

Beamer's on a mission trip with her youth group this week, so I'm punting a bit on her mileage, based on the texts her youth leader has been sending on the work they're doing.

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 24
Cumulative miles: 1134
Goal: Group Challenge

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 27 2014, 10:03am

Post #2 of 7 (161 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad you're feeling better :) [In reply to] Can't Post

PACE YOURSELF! Bending over with one big pull to a weed could really get ya! :o

I'll bet Beamer is doing way more than your punt, so I'll bet there's a big adjustment when she's done. What a great way to start the summer :)

All is well and I'm back outside doing some some winter-damage work on my trees and bushes. My green dragon bush really to a hit with the freeze-burn from the uncanny polar-vortex we had hovering over the region for weeks! There's a lot of trimming to do on that poor beast.

Thanks so much for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel! Take care! *waves fondly to all* See you on the Road Fellow Walkers!

Miles covered: 24 miles covered 6/26
Cumulated miles: 3485
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 27 2014, 6:21pm

Post #3 of 7 (164 views)
Shortcut
As it turns out... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be taking a CPR class tomorrow (Saturday). And the weed-pulling will be from a seated position - it's more like doing a weedectomy, having to carefully dig out roots around plants.

So sorry to hear the Polar Vortex had its way with your plants - I hope they recover soon!

Have fun on the Road, gramma!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 3 2014, 7:46pm

Post #4 of 7 (134 views)
Shortcut
Walk Post for July 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, dear, I see it's been a slow week on Main. Must be everyone's gearing up for the festivities! Well, we'll just bump on down to page two and hopefully folks'll find us there.

How go your journeys this fine week?

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 20
Cumulative miles: 1337
Goal: There and Back Again!

A slightly slower week for me, didn't increase my daily minimum as I'd hoped, but my back seems to be well and truly recovered now, so I have hopes for the week ahead.

As for Beamer, I had to adjust her mileage up for last week, and you can see her mileage for this week is impressive; she spent a week working at a church camp helping dig trenches and backfill retaining walls and move railroad ties to re-terrace a hill frequented by goats (not to mention time off to swim, hike and catch frogs). And now that she's back home, she's started joining me on my evening walk.

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 47
Cumulative miles: 1196
Goal: Group Challenge

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 4 2014, 10:22am

Post #5 of 7 (142 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! Go Beamer! [In reply to] Can't Post

We knew you were going to have those numbers jacked UP! *high five* Well Done on the projects and for contributing so much to a fantastic cause :D

And Arandiel, I'm so glad your back is better! *warm hug* What a relief! Isn't it nice to sit, stand and turn without hurting... and sleep must be a wonderful experience ;)

I've been really active this week and will be especially busy today as my daughter and I go to a 2-square mile annual flea market today on the west side of Michigan. I think they said there are over 15 1/2-mile long rows of people selling their wares. It's a MONSTER YARD SALE!! And the weather will be perfect for the first time in a buhzillion years... average of 73 degrees with no rain and low winds. PERFECT! Daughter will get as far as she can, but she's go health issues... so I'll probably plant her under a tree with a bottle of water and some Twinkies and keep on truckin'.

Thanks so much for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel :)

Have a wonderful 4th of July Weekend to my fellows in the U.S. and fantastic weekend wishes to the rest of the world :D

Miles covered: 32
Cumulated miles: 3517
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Jul 20 2014, 10:34pm

Post #6 of 7 (124 views)
Shortcut
July 20 Update [In reply to] Can't Post

I see I'm not the only one late in reporting. I guess it is Summer up here!

Like Gandalf, I don't consider myself late; I'm posting exactly when I mean to!

I've taken many photos, but will share some other time. I've too many to process!

Miles since last: 48.35
Total Challenge miles: 728.18
Total: 808.28
Left to go: 238.82

Still lost in Mirkwood. Bombur falls in on my next trip!

Keep going everyone!

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Iolani
Rivendell

Jul 21 2014, 1:49am

Post #7 of 7 (123 views)
Shortcut
Well well well...look how late I am [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's going to be a pattern of me posting monthly. Let's just say that and save time. Cool I do have some awesome mileage to share though! They're really adding up.

since last share:
Miles: 160.8
cumulative this year: 506.5
cumulative overall: 2011.78

Whoo! I'm on track! Mostly... Laugh How are y'all doing?

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.