I don't like Tauriel and am male
View Results (71 votes)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 27 2014, 4:43am

Post #1 of 31 (657 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel opinions Can't Post

In another room a Tauriel discussion is going on in which it was brought to light that many men also enjoy her addition to the movies. So I became curious what percentage of men and women like or dislike her. So I am hoping this will yield some results.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2014, 10:14am

Post #2 of 31 (453 views)
Shortcut
Like the character and am male. [In reply to] Can't Post

And Evangeline Lily does well with her. But i am most definitely not a fan of her little side story with Kili.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Jun 27 2014, 10:15am)

Misto
Lorien

Jun 27 2014, 3:00pm

Post #3 of 31 (442 views)
Shortcut
Not quite what I would have chosen [In reply to] Can't Post

but for lack of other options I put down "I don't like her". Which isn't exactly true, I don't mind her, but I just don't see the point of her existence in the movie. It's more of an "I could have done without her"

Annael
Immortal

Jun 27 2014, 3:10pm

Post #4 of 31 (429 views)
Shortcut
what sauget said./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2014, 3:44pm

Post #5 of 31 (428 views)
Shortcut
You speak for me as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Ms. Lilly is a fine actress and does well with what she's been given, but it's what she's been given I have a major problem with. The whole thing with her and Kili is, IMO, just a cheap and unnecessary attempt at recapturing the Gimli/Galadriel and Gimli/Legolas dynamic from LotR, and so it kind of ruins the character for me. She could have been great had they not saddled her with this subplot. For the same reasons, I dislike Kili (plus he just doesn't look anything like the rest of the Dwarves).

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Jun 27 2014, 3:49pm)

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jun 27 2014, 3:49pm

Post #6 of 31 (436 views)
Shortcut
Poll Flawed [In reply to] Can't Post

The poll is clearly flawed and needs more options concerning how Tauriel has been inserted into the story and her effect upon it.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 27 2014, 5:04pm

Post #7 of 31 (423 views)
Shortcut
The intent of this poll was just a get a general idea of whether more males or females like her [In reply to] Can't Post

I am trying to keep the results simple voting yes or no to find out a basic percentage of people.

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jun 27 2014, 5:09pm

Post #8 of 31 (405 views)
Shortcut
Understood [In reply to] Can't Post

But most of the discussion which inspired this kind of poll is more about liking how her story is handled and not whether she is likable. As you can see in these responses, they are two different things. I suppose maybe there should be another simple poll about liking what the writers did with Tauriel broken out by gender.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 27 2014, 5:27pm

Post #9 of 31 (401 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that would work [In reply to] Can't Post

You're welcome to start another one of your own.

Annael
Immortal

Jun 27 2014, 6:18pm

Post #10 of 31 (398 views)
Shortcut
but there's nothing stopping you from bringing up those issues. [In reply to] Can't Post

would not be the first time on these boards that a thread went in its own direction . . .

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jun 27 2014, 6:32pm

Post #11 of 31 (391 views)
Shortcut
Polls vs Discussions [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but there's nothing stopping you from bringing up those issues. would not be the first time on these boards that a thread went in its own direction . . .

The poll's graphical results do not reflect the comments. The issues are already well represented in discussion threads by myself and others and I do not need to add to them here. Polls and discussions have their own purposes and I think this one is misleading because it does not represent those discussions well enough to support pro or con even though it purports to be inspired by them.

Beyond that, I don't think my own version of this poll is important enough to start a new one. Things have kind of been beaten to death, including my own writings.

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 7:21pm

Post #12 of 31 (392 views)
Shortcut
it seems to me [In reply to] Can't Post

it seems to me the poll-taker just wanted to know binary responses -- "yay" or "nay" opinions of tauriel, without going into details. that doesn't mean that the poll is flawed. all it means is that the poll-taker is pursuing a specific set of data, which is not the same set of data in which you are interested.

as others have noted, you are free to create your own poll, that would unearth others' opinions regarding the details that interest you. nothing wrong with an additional poll. : )

cheers ---

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 27 2014, 7:42pm

Post #13 of 31 (389 views)
Shortcut
"The issues are already well represented in discussion threads" [In reply to] Can't Post

no they're not.

The issues are represented by those people who happen to be discussing that issue during the times you were reading the discussion threads.

Lots of people avoid the Hobbit board and never contribute one thought to any discussion there. Lots of people make their comment and move on so it seemingly gets 'out voted' by anyone who posts some contrary opinion 15 more times.

So all anyone can do is admit what they've derived from any discussion of an issue is taken from a limited sampling of people.

I think this [poll] is misleading

Just like arriving at a consensus of what *people* think by observing a limited demographic of posters on one board on one site.

In the end, we're all just amusing ourselves in one form or another by seeking out social groups and hashing over topics of interest to us. Polls and discussions have their own limits beyond that simple quest. I think keeping this poll limited in scope and focused on what the poll creator wanted to know is fine.

I'm sorry you've chosen not to start your own poll. It would be great to see different approaches in how to formulate one on this issue.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 27 2014, 9:21pm

Post #14 of 31 (385 views)
Shortcut
This person has it right [In reply to] Can't Post

Look I just wanted to make a poll to get basic data. I really wish everyone's method of doing things was not constantly bright under scrutiny. If your not interested in answering based on how I set this up then why bother voting!
Gee

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 27 2014, 10:15pm

Post #15 of 31 (384 views)
Shortcut
Hi, my name is BlackFox... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and I like Tauriel. And I'm a she-fox.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 27 2014, 10:38pm

Post #16 of 31 (379 views)
Shortcut
It's only flawed [In reply to] Can't Post

if you're one of those people who's set on winning an argument. It's a perfectly good poll for what it is. There's nothing in the rules that says the polls on this board have to be statistically valid.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 28 2014, 1:17am

Post #17 of 31 (369 views)
Shortcut
Funny, because [In reply to] Can't Post

I put down that I like her, for the same reason. I don't mind her, so she can be there or not. But since she's there and I feel no great need to remove her, I voted on the "pro" side.

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 28 2014, 2:50am

Post #18 of 31 (360 views)
Shortcut
Hi Blackfox. My name is Starling, [In reply to] Can't Post

and I like Tauriel too. And I am a female bird.

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 28 2014, 5:26am

Post #19 of 31 (354 views)
Shortcut
Hi Starling. My name is Cats [In reply to] Can't Post

and I like Tauriel too. And I am a male feline. (Almost typed femine by mistake. Tongue)

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 28 2014, 5:33am

Post #20 of 31 (349 views)
Shortcut
Hi Cats [In reply to] Can't Post

My name is Cirashala, or Cira if you prefer, and I am female, and I loved Tauriel Smile For the character, not because she's a girl (stupid feminine energy comment Mad)

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 28 2014, 5:59am

Post #21 of 31 (346 views)
Shortcut
OMG, Cats! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you a boy? I totally did not know that!

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 28 2014, 6:36am

Post #22 of 31 (346 views)
Shortcut
Haha, yes indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not the first time (and certainly not the last!) that's happened here for me. You've given me a great laugh over it, though!* Laugh

*I was about to start typing that PM to you I've mentioned in the past, in which you certainly would have then realized it. The timing couldn't have been more perfect. Cool

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 28 2014, 8:02pm

Post #23 of 31 (327 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Sorry to say this but this is news to me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

And you wonder why I am constantly checking people's profiles looking for gender!Wink

imin
Valinor

Jun 28 2014, 9:10pm

Post #24 of 31 (319 views)
Shortcut
I'm male and i did not like her [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the actress is ok but i did not feel there was any need for her character to be shoehorned into the movie and then take up so much of the movies time - feel the same way about other characters to varying degrees such as legolas.

I don't want her to die in the next movie as it may take away from the 'real' deaths and basically just want her to not come back for part 3, lol.

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 28 2014, 9:13pm

Post #25 of 31 (325 views)
Shortcut
would you change your mind [In reply to] Can't Post

would you change your mind if you knew she was really a +vanyarian+ elf? and is dying her hair red to fit in?

cheers --

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.