Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What big political conviction is closest to you?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What big political conviction is closest to you?
Conservatives
Social Democrats / Third Way
Liberals
Greens
Communists
Nationalists
Other
View Results (44 votes)

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 25 2014, 12:38pm

Post #1 of 89 (1383 views)
Shortcut
What big political conviction is closest to you? Can't Post

Wondered for a while how a poll like this would look like on TORN:)

(I know the options are difficult as they do not always mean the same for each country and are particularly hard to use in systems with only two major parties.)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 25 2014, 2:06pm

Post #2 of 89 (1056 views)
Shortcut
Liberal/Progressive [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot say that all of my views are liberal across-the-board. I think that most of us are more complex than that.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 25 2014, 2:12pm

Post #3 of 89 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think that most of us are more complex than that.

You are certainly right about that.

Actually, coming from a country with a "passion" for coalitions I do like the prospects of a coalition between social democrats and a liberal party.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 25 2014, 2:29pm

Post #4 of 89 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Greens // [In reply to] Can't Post

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2014, 3:11pm

Post #5 of 89 (1048 views)
Shortcut
Is there an agnostic level for political conviction... or [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe more of a paranoid... I think all politcians are out to get what they can out of the system and to heck with everyone and everything....

power corrupts even the best intentions.... local political scene is riddled with bribes, cronyism and blatant "I'll do what I darn well please"

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 25 2014, 3:46pm

Post #6 of 89 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Hm. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess, I must be lucky to have made a lot of experiences contrary to yours. Or I am naive beyond belief ;)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jun 25 2014, 4:09pm

Post #7 of 89 (1017 views)
Shortcut
Liberal [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 25 2014, 4:27pm

Post #8 of 89 (1043 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure that it's best said that 'power corrupts' [In reply to] Can't Post

although that may be in play.

I think it's more that politics is a game and it attracts a form of gamer much like my son who loves the strategy in a board game. Only the politician is playing a different game with a different personality and different goals.

You know how they train people in debate by making them defend a position even when they don't believe in the position? Well, they can 'win' the debate even when they don't believe the position. And that's what's important. Winning. Not developing a position after long consideration, much research, and consultation with others more learned on the subject matter than oneself. "Then" enacting change that one believes in.

I am not saying that no one in politics believes the things they are spouting. I'm just saying that I do believe that, for many, it's all about winning the point or the game and it's not about working together to serve the people. Politicians are meant to SERVE the people. And that means finding a way to serve all the people. Not just the ones that think exactly like they do.

With that game board in place, those with sincere hearts and good intentions often can't effect change or serve well without playing that game. So they try hard to do what they can and get reelected in a world where people aren't informed about issues or the people in political positions... or they give in and play the game... or they give up.

I think US politics is very broken and I have almost no faith in it. I vote but I am often disappointed with the person I voted for when they actually win.

On the local level, however... I'm very satisfied with my two US Senators and my US Representative. I think they do care about people and have been able to keep their integrity. And I loved the mayor who just left office after a number of years and I didn't vote for the new one but I'm willing to evaluate her after a year or two.

And I still remember the moment when I learned my US Senator Paul Wellstone had died in a plane crash. I think he was a great politician and I wasn't the only person who cried at the news. The high school bldg one block from me houses the Wellstone International High School which is an International Peace Site.

I don't know if I have a lot of faith in politics and politician but I can't give up hope. But it's a two part effort to change 'bad' politics. We need leaders who choose to do the right thing not the necessarily the 'popular with voters' thing. And we need voters who want to get along and work and live together in civil harmony... even when there are disagreements over details. When one wants to get along... one will find a way.

Honestly, I am waiting for the moment when people stand up with their fists in the air and say 'enough!' Let's all stop acting like fools and children and squabbling neighbors when it comes to discussing and deciding issues that effect us all.

Oh, and... I didn't vote in this poll. I am not aligned enough with one group to say I'd support them 100%. I tend to take issues one at a time and decide how I feel on them without sussing out and toeing the 'party' line and I take that word 'party' to be very broad. I see people spouting opinions that put them firmly in certain 'cultural' mindsets that I know they feel very smug about but I'm not sure they've thought through on their own. But they feel a sense of membership in and approval from some social/political group so they're happy.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jun 25 2014, 4:33pm)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 25 2014, 4:46pm

Post #9 of 89 (1016 views)
Shortcut
I voted liberal [In reply to] Can't Post

But the Green Party also share my views. I had actually not heard of them before.

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Jun 25 2014, 4:46pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2014, 5:09pm

Post #10 of 89 (1001 views)
Shortcut
Liberal/Progressive // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 25 2014, 5:25pm

Post #11 of 89 (1010 views)
Shortcut
"You speak for me also" with what you saod here: [In reply to] Can't Post

"I tend to take issues one at a time and decide how I feel on them without sussing out and toeing the 'party' line and I take that word 'party' to be very broad."

Yep! Smile

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 25 2014, 5:48pm

Post #12 of 89 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Green conservative liberal. [In reply to] Can't Post

Basically the Entish Party.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 25 2014, 8:19pm

Post #13 of 89 (1012 views)
Shortcut
One thing [In reply to] Can't Post

about NZ having an MMP voting system is that it drags the two main parties to the centre, leaving their coalition partners to spout the far-left and far-right ideologies. Right now we have a conservative Government running policies that would fit with their liberal Opposition. It's enough to make a voter politics-ambivalent.

Our next general election is in September and for the first time I have no idea who I'll be voting for.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 25 2014, 8:47pm

Post #14 of 89 (986 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm, that almost works for me, except [In reply to] Can't Post

(I tend to be hastyBlush)

Meneldor
Valinor

Jun 25 2014, 9:12pm

Post #15 of 89 (988 views)
Shortcut
Don't ever try to pigeonhole me. [In reply to] Can't Post

No party does my thinking for me, I always think for myself on any issue. That said, I usually take the conservative position.

But in the last few decades, I've been disappointed in most conservative politicians. And utterly disgusted with most liberal politicians.

I've looked at other parties than the big two, like libertarian and Tea Party, but none of them is a good fit for me either.

My normal response to most political news is a sad sigh and a prayer for the second coming.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 25 2014, 9:32pm

Post #16 of 89 (977 views)
Shortcut
As said above... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I am a social democrat who emphasizes the liberal, progressive and green aspects of politics. Thankfully social democracy and liberalism advocates have not been the opposing camps I'm Germany they were in some other countries. Unfortunately many liberal parties have a tendency to become market radical neo-liberals all over the world, it seems.

Of course identifying deeply with one ideology or party does not have to and should not mean people doing the thinking for you.

But I am a strong believer that a deeper set of convictions, as well as the history and grown community of a party is an important assest of democracies and societies.

I will surely find my political home now and in the future with the direction set out above as long as the topics of fair work under fair conditions, equality of way of lives (including sexuality), energy without coal and nuclear energy, equal and free access to health and education, renewal of infrastructure as well as strengthening of EU and UN remain #1 topics in the coming years.

Annael
Immortal

Jun 26 2014, 3:12am

Post #17 of 89 (1012 views)
Shortcut
well . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe that societal change is inevitable. Those towards the left want it to happen faster & try to make that so. Those towards the right don't like change, maybe even want to turn back the clock,and try to make that so. The result: change happens at a rate that most people can live with. The changes I've seen in my lifetime in the US have been amazing, but there's been a backlash for every one. We lurch forward no matter who does what or who is elected. So I don't get too het up about politics. Still, I am a progressive (prefer that to "liberal") as I think most change is for the best.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2014, 2:39pm

Post #18 of 89 (944 views)
Shortcut
Like the dentist in Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm independent.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2014, 3:41pm

Post #19 of 89 (939 views)
Shortcut
I align with liberals on some things... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and conservatives on others. I'd say more liberal than conservative though.

For instance, I absolutely believe that same-sex marriages should be allowed, however I also despise political correctness. There's more to it than that, but you catch my drift. I teeter depending on the issue.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2014, 5:04pm

Post #20 of 89 (921 views)
Shortcut
A very comnon sense way of looking at it.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2014, 9:05pm

Post #21 of 89 (930 views)
Shortcut
Liberal.....with a lean towards the Green... [In reply to] Can't Post

so there.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 26 2014, 10:28pm

Post #22 of 89 (916 views)
Shortcut
I have to say Conservative, [In reply to] Can't Post

though like alot of people here I'm not a straight across the board conservative. Some issues I take a more center position, and some issues I genuinely don't care enough about to have a position. But I am also terribly disillusioned with the GOP in America, so I honestly feel like there's no one to vote for. I live in Oklahoma, and every one of the people running for Congress vowed to "repeal Obamacare," as if the House hasn't already tried to do that 50 timesMad What's that definition if "insanity" again? Think of something else already, or maybe just try THINKING (as Sherlock suggestedEvilHeart)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 26 2014, 11:03pm

Post #23 of 89 (899 views)
Shortcut
Honestly looking at the way politics are today I probably will end up independent to when I'm old enough to vote! [In reply to] Can't Post

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 27 2014, 12:36am

Post #24 of 89 (905 views)
Shortcut
Not sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted conservative. This is because I live in the US and have tended to vote Republican in recent elections. We tend to frame our politics in terms of a conservative/ liberal dichotomy (in which the party I have supported more, recently, is termed conservative).

But I have some pro-environment impulses, and the historical use of the term "liberal" would fit.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2014, 12:53am

Post #25 of 89 (927 views)
Shortcut
I'm a lonely little blue speck in an extremely red state [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, there are probably more progressives here than most people would think, but we are few and far between. It's annoying how people will spout off pretty extreme right-wing views in public in a manner that suggests that they assume that everyone present will agree with them, and that anyone who doesn't is not just wrong but un-American. Sometimes I will speak up as politely as possible - there's no point in turning things into an argument that will change no minds - but most times I just bite my tongue. I don't mind polite, respectful debate - I've been pleasantly surprised on a few occasions - but, sadly, things have become too polarized.

Anyway, I would probably be considered just a little left of center in many parts of the country, but in very conservative Oklahoma, I'm a "commie pinko". Laugh Fortunately, most members of my family are somewhat liberal or at least centrist, so family get togethers are pretty peaceful. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.