The Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part VI
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 24 2014, 1:52am

Post #51 of 206 (4966 views)
Shortcut
     Oh no - Thank you! [In reply to]  

*Sigh* how I wish PJ would do more with Thranduil, I just think a short prologue like the AUJ prologue would fit well - and even tho I can't get enough of dwarves, while it would be fun to see Thorin at his meeting *shrug*. We know they all say no, right? But getting some depth re Thranduil and the choices he makes - I just think that would be amazing to see, and help re BOFA.

Re the art - yes - some is available through the artist site's on Deviant Art - if the artist Megatruth did "Starry Night", I think that person sells prints. Some do, but of course go warily into Deviant Art as there is all kinds of "stuff" there, kind of like going through the Dead Marshes at times. But lots of gems too.

Another option is get the best res of the file you can, have a graphics friend print for you on nice paper - works for some things!Cool

(This post was edited by Avandel on Jun 24 2014, 1:53am)

Kim
Valinor

Jun 24 2014, 2:10am

Post #52 of 206 (4941 views)
Shortcut
     Bravo! [In reply to]  

Pass the smelling salts please, I'm suddenly feeling a bit faint. Wink

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Kim
Valinor

Jun 24 2014, 2:16am

Post #53 of 206 (4961 views)
Shortcut
     Way to know your audience Cats! [In reply to]  

And thanks for the plug on my thread. Or wait, was that an insult? Tongue Fair warning, any CHOW thread focusing on Thranduil will of course have commentary on Thorin's hair. Wink

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 24 2014, 3:25am

Post #54 of 206 (4937 views)
Shortcut
     Haha no problem! [In reply to]  

Looking forward to the comparisons lol. Wink

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 24 2014, 12:13pm

Post #55 of 206 (4918 views)
Shortcut
     Woohoo! Gots it, Precious! [In reply to]  

PS is $$$$$, so GIMP is worth considering and learning EvilHeart

Testimonial music to these ears. The rest of it was icy on teh cake Wink Thanks! Now to apprenticeship!

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 24 2014, 12:15pm

Post #56 of 206 (4886 views)
Shortcut
     And how many Thranduil pics are in the calendar? [In reply to]  

Do you know?

... I'm wondering if that'll be an indication of Thranduil's appearances in the BotFA one Laugh

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 24 2014, 12:18pm

Post #57 of 206 (4932 views)
Shortcut
     Hmm... what say you, fellow thralls? [In reply to]  

Do we want to take over a CHOW or 3? Tongue

@Cats: You sure you want a horde of thralls descending on a CHOW? Laugh

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 24 2014, 12:30pm

Post #58 of 206 (4912 views)
Shortcut
     *waves* Hi VeArkenstone! On Dis and Silm read-along [In reply to]  

Dis / Thorin: possibly quick snipets of her life. PreSmaug: a happy child surrounded by a doting father, mother, grandparents, brothers and possibly doted on by Thranduil as well? PostSmaug, total annilation of her home, how did they survive.?
Happy days as a young adult in the Blue Mountains married to someone she adored and a loving mother to Fili and Kili.
The loss of her husband and most of her family, an ongoing disagreement with Thorin about Fili and Kili going with him to Erebor.
She is alone in the world, her family has been totally annilated by the Dark Lord.

This is a great idea too... except I would rather prefer more Thranduil of course. Besides, Avandel has messed up headcanon somewhat with her *ahem*discourse about a certain inconveniently timed period of Dis' life in an other thread. I can't ever look at Dis and her family quite the same way again Evil

Anyway, am interested in the Sil readalong thing. The Sil is my weakest link and a readalong would help. I have set up in tumblr, and hope I have done it right and I will be able to participate. I am not very computer savvy, and may need some instruction, but this would be good for me.

Cool! Are you intending to join a team? If you are, you'll need to send a message to the blog owner. Let's see, Kerewyn had some information on that right in this thread in case you haven't seen it... yup, here! And we're four so far, from the Thranduil's Thralls camp Smile We've all set up tumblr too! More info here.

=======

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2014, 2:53pm

Post #59 of 206 (4959 views)
Shortcut
     Not many [In reply to]  

But given the fact that he only had one, short, no-dialog, scene in AUJ, I'm not surprised.Unsure The characters seem to get a similar amount of representation in the calendar as they did in the movie, and that means that there's lots and lots of Bilbo, Dwarves and, Gandalf and the less screen time a character got, the fewer pics they get in the calendar. (Today's pic is Galadriel and Gandalf talking alone in Rivendell after the White Council was over btw)

I actually didn't get the calendar until my birthday on May 19 because it was a sort of surprise gift from my aunt, so I'm not sure exactly how many Thranduil pics there were before that date. I did flip through the old pics before tearing them out though and it looked like there might have been about two. After flipping through the pics for the rest of the year, I'm only seeing one more pic of Thranduil and it's not until November.Frown But I'm sure they'll come out with a 2015 DOS Year-In-a-Box calendar and it should have way more Thranduil pics since he got much more screen time in DOS. (It should also have pics of Leggy! Woohoo!Wink)

Anyway, even despite the lack of his royal fabulousness' presence it's still a good little calendar. Along with Bilbo, dwarves, and Gandalf, there are lots of good pics of the White Council members, both separately and together, and nice scenery pics, etc. There are also some days where it just says something like, "Rivendell" "Dwarves" "Elves" and whatever and has little artsy images or silhouettes representing the character or location. Then there are those days here and there where there's an artsy image of something from the movie with no explanation whatsoever, and it either takes me all day to figure it out or I don't know what the heck it is.

Take these two for example. I *think* the top one is one of the brooches that Elrond wears, but what the heck is the other one? A weird, embroidered, rabbit thing? And when was it even in the movie?Crazy

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 24 2014, 3:03pm

Post #60 of 206 (4929 views)
Shortcut
     GotG: Ronan on Empire Mag Cover [In reply to]  

Front and centre, where Thranduil should have been on the Elf cover Frown

Ronan's looking good of course, but the vibe's like a black metal band photo-op eh?

For relevance

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 24 2014, 3:06pm

Post #61 of 206 (4870 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks, Eruvandi. Happy belated bday =) [In reply to]  

Honestly, if I get the 2015 DOS one, it'll be a treat but I'm really looking forward to the 2016 BotFA one Heart

LOL...what is with that bunny doodle?

=======

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2014, 4:42pm

Post #62 of 206 (4918 views)
Shortcut
     Don't have time to host but... [In reply to]  

...I'd be happy to jump in and smother everyone with Thranduil appreciation in the comments!Cool

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 24 2014, 5:53pm

Post #63 of 206 (4906 views)
Shortcut
     Well... [In reply to]  

The more the merrier, I suppose. Cool

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2014, 7:07pm

Post #64 of 206 (4880 views)
Shortcut
     Catching up [In reply to]  

Ok, I'm getting seriously behind on this sub-thread. I better start catching up!

Ooh, I had no idea he was a baddass. Shows how much I need to read this book. I chose Team Feanorians as my third as well, same reason – sticking with elves. Though I nearly went Edain.

I almost went Edain too, since I at least have an idea of who the Edain are because of the Children of Hurin. Then Turin had to go and (albeit accidentally) kill off my fave elf who shall not be named (unless I get specific permission to give spoilers) because I know some people here haven't read CoH yet. Now I'm mad at TurinMad, so, nope. No Edain for me.

It looked, from the tiny version, that his hair might be slightly ruffled. Ever so slightly. Where’s that person with the comb? Heart

Oh! Me! Me! I have a comb! I'll fix it for him!AngelicHeart

You, Avandel, are truly a valued honorary member of Thranduil Appreciation.
Agreement. I always like hearing your view when you drop by.

Here here! Your views are always appreciated Avandel!Smile

Been meaning to say this: have you noticed how Thralls' collective behaviour sorta mirror the respective kings' situations? Thranduil's Thralls have these appreciation threads and pretty much keep to the threads (well, except Eruvandi, but we know that's cos of her avatarSmile), while Thorin's just pop everywhere the key words surface.

Ha ha! Isn't that funny?Laugh I hadn't thought about it before, but we really do act like our favorite characters!...Hey, wait a minute. If I'm Tauriel, then where's Legolas? I need him to accompany me on my adventures around the boards!Wink

Of course, I may act more like Tauriel here on the boards, but in RL (although I do have my Tauriel moments) I tend to be much more like Thranduil, which the LOTR Project "Which Hobbit Character are you?" quiz confirmed. Like Thranduil, I tend to be very quiet and guarded (Gosh, I don't think any of you would recognize me!), only letting in people that I trust, and am very appreciative of the safety of home.

Y'know, I guess that's why we end up liking certain characters, isn't it? They may not be exactly like us, but we have something, somewhere in common with them, so it's easier to relate.

Anyway, on on the back of that, for Thranduil's Thralls who also have room for some Dwarven appreciation, and don't mind the Men form instead of the more Pc Dwarf frame the artist has endowed said Dwarves with, *cough*a bit of EI goodness here.
Holy dwarven abs! *kinda speechless*
ShockedShockedBlushWink

My thoughts exactly! Lol!Laugh Wow, there's a lot of Thorin fantasizing in that part of DeviantArt! I can't say I blame them, but I much prefer elven EI goodness. Ok, I have to admit...some of the more innocent Thorin fantasies like this one reminded me ever so slightly of a LP dream I had not too long ago.Blush Unlike that pic, though, it wasn't a romantic dream, it was just LP being sweet in a friendly kind of way. Basically, in the dream LP (in human form, not elf) and I were just hanging out and talking (he seems in his interviews like he's very friendly and easy to talk to) and, being much taller than me, he kissed me on top of my head.BlushBlush Like I said, it wasn't intended to be romantic by any means, he was just being sweet.BlushBlushBlush

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2014, 8:13pm

Post #65 of 206 (4892 views)
Shortcut
     He's prolly happy because... [In reply to]  

...lots of the fan art about Kili on deviantArt features him and Tauriel as a couple. Guess he hasn't seen all the slash pics shipping him and Fili...and Thorin...and Bilbo...yet.Wink

Speaking of slash pics...for a second, I was wondering why Bofur looks so upset because most of the stuff I've seen of him is pretty tasteful. Then I typed Bofur into the dA search engine. The first page was just fine. Then I scrolled down.Crazy I'm so sorry Bofur...

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 24 2014, 10:42pm

Post #66 of 206 (4908 views)
Shortcut
     Just for the OP [In reply to]  

*snigger*Evil. Once you learn Gimp, PS, Corel Photo etc. you too can edit imagery that annoys you, to something preferable.Wink

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 24 2014, 11:09pm

Post #67 of 206 (4890 views)
Shortcut
     *waves to Kim* [In reply to]  

Pass the smelling salts please, I'm suddenly feeling a bit faint.

Thank you! PERFECTLY understandable. Verily, will there be any other movies in the history of film, where for CERTAIN characters, inside certain SELECT members of the audience are thinking "just hold that shot from the BACK for 5 more seconds! Just FIVE MORE SECONDS!!!, Oh PJ you &^^%$!" Evil

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 24 2014, 11:19pm

Post #68 of 206 (4889 views)
Shortcut
     Thank you Eruvandi! [In reply to]  

Always a pleasure to read your posts as wellSmile

Wow, there's a lot of Thorin fantasizing in that part of DeviantArt! I can't say I blame them, but I much prefer elven EI goodness.

Guess my fantasies (or anything I would admit to publicly or even to my fish) would be limited to "Plz Gawd, if I ever meet Lee Pace, Richard Armitage, Martin Freeman, Ken Stott etc. plz don't let me say anything stupid, or have lip gloss on my teeth."Cool

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 25 2014, 1:14am

Post #69 of 206 (4867 views)
Shortcut
     PS - Got it! [In reply to]  

If they don't put the stag scene back, I'm gonna be SO BUMMEDMadUnsureShocked

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2014, 1:40am

Post #70 of 206 (4875 views)
Shortcut
     Squeee! There it is! [In reply to]  

Thanks for finding that, Avandel!Smile They MUST put the stag scene back or I'll be bummed too!Mad

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2014, 1:43am

Post #71 of 206 (4856 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks! [In reply to]  

Guess my fantasies (or anything I would admit to publicly or even to my fish) would be limited to "Plz Gawd, if I ever meet Lee Pace, Richard Armitage, Martin Freeman, Ken Stott etc. plz don't let me say anything stupid, or have lip gloss on my teeth."Cool

Ikr? I'd just be hoping that I'd be able to speak at all, much less have the ability not to say something stupid.Crazy

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

stn5
The Shire

Jun 25 2014, 6:14am

Post #72 of 206 (4866 views)
Shortcut
     Info from DOS Chronicles:Clock & Daggers Book [In reply to]  

I manage to get the copy of DOS Chronicles:Clock & Daggers today; 2 week before the official release ^_^

Anyway, there not much new info or photos of Thranduil & Legolas on it but we do get a few interesting facts:
  • Legolas did wear a mitril vest underneath his tunic.
  • Legolas costume & boots was made from a very find, top-quality deerskin
  • Thranduil sword is the most exquisite and expensive weapon made for the films, trumped even Orcist. It is carved out of one piece of metal.
  • Thranduil is so concerned with wealth and wanting to show his majesty, impressing upon his trespassing guest how important he is, that the long golden robe that he wears in the throne-room scene makes great sense. It has a long and trailing cape and is lined with metallic orange. His clothes are beautiful and are all either metallic in some way or a deep, shine black. Atop this he has a stunning crown with protruding barbs” ....Lee Pace
  • “One thing that we can discern about Thranduil from the set dressing items I created for him, is that he is into orchids. I created a couple of book spreads for him featuring illustration and writing concerning these flowers, which, it would appear, are a hobby of his”...Daniel Reeve, Graphic Artist.
  • Thranduil even have a botanical book, flower-trimming tools and note pages on Orchids.

(This post was edited by stn5 on Jun 25 2014, 6:17am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 25 2014, 11:30am

Post #73 of 206 (4859 views)
Shortcut
     But what about his rings? What's their stories?... wait, what orchids? [In reply to]  

Thanks so much for the info, stn5, and WELCOME to the Thranduil Appreciation thread! Smile

Not sure if you're aware, but there's a few of us who are dying to know about the story of his rings (from this sub thread in Thread III and continued here in Thread IV).

Thranduil the hobbyist botanist is a surprise. I'd wager he'd like to swing by my neck of the woods then Cool

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jun 25 2014, 11:33am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 25 2014, 11:35am

Post #74 of 206 (4821 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah, I'm concerned about time just cos it's July. [In reply to]  

A couple of stuff happening in work and personally. Let's see how this goes and if any of the other thralls wanna host.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 25 2014, 11:37am

Post #75 of 206 (4810 views)
Shortcut
     LoL. I sense trepidation, Cats. [In reply to]  

Tongue

Mind if I ask if you have 16 cats?

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.