Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DOS theatrical edition week 1 Blu-ray/DVD sales

Tirithon

Jun 23 2014, 9:59pm

Post #1 of 9 (718 views)
Shortcut
DOS theatrical edition week 1 Blu-ray/DVD sales Can't Post

The Numbers website has posted the first week sales for the theatrical edition of The Desolation of Smaug:

week ending April 13, 2014
1,078,894 (Blu-ray) (down about 22% from AUJ’s week 1 sales)
655,268 (DVD) (down about 39% from AUJ’s week 1 sales)

All in all, not bad. It even brought AUJ back onto the sales charts.

And I’m guessing these are for North America only (though I’m not 100% sure; the website doesn’t explicitly indicate that).

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2014, 10:39pm

Post #2 of 9 (452 views)
Shortcut
At this stage of Tolkien´s DVD tradition people should know it is wiser to wait for the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

adt100
Rohan

Jun 24 2014, 1:34pm

Post #3 of 9 (353 views)
Shortcut
DVD Theatrical Cut, Blu Ray Extended Edition [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny thing is, I bought the Blu Ray for AUJ TC, and the DVD for AUJ EE. Purely due to the reason that the EE came in the same style card fold-out as the original LOTR EE's. Daft reasoning I know! If only Warner had kept to the exact same format for the menus and packaging of The Hobbit films, so infuriating how they drop the ball on this one. It's the same with the Harry Potter frachise, why they skimped and made such a mess of the menus and packaging I'll never understand!

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2014, 1:38pm

Post #4 of 9 (338 views)
Shortcut
Well the menus in AUJ EE are really cool to me [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean the walktrough in bag end,I really liked that. They are different but in a coool way IMO

Lindele
Gondor

Jun 24 2014, 2:37pm

Post #5 of 9 (328 views)
Shortcut
The Blu-ray EE packaging was fine [In reply to] Can't Post

and it matches the LOTR EE Blu-ray. The menu of walking through Bag End was a fresh and creative way to have a fun menu without copying exactly what they did in LOTR EE DVDs. Besides…once you land on the chapter selections page it was very similar to the LOTR book layout.

Even if the packaging on the EE Blu-ray was terrible I would much prefer a high quality representation of the movie itself than a highly compressed SD version on DVD.

adt100
Rohan

Jun 24 2014, 3:16pm

Post #6 of 9 (317 views)
Shortcut
Close... just not quite on par... [In reply to] Can't Post

The problem for me with the 'standard' blu ray packaging is that well, it's just that, very standard. The special card fold out cases are infinitely preferable in my opinion and way more classy for an extended edition. There is no reason they couldn't have followed this approach for the blu ray discs.

With regard the menus, it's more the theatrical cut menus I have a problem with as they seem to follow the standard Warner Bros menu system. Also, just as with Harry Potter, they decided to go for a totally different 'all crammed onto one page' menu layout for DOS compared to AUJ. This made no sense at all.

I don't mind the EE menus, they just aren't quite up to the same quality as the LOTR EE's in my mind. The walkthrough bag-end is nice, but looks just like a tv crew have popped round after filming. Not sure if it's the lighting or the fact there's absolutely no pos production work on it, but it just looks a little amateur compared to when we see bag end in the film.

Little details I know, but little details that were comprehensively mastered in the LOTR EE's.

TnuaccayM
Bree

Jun 24 2014, 5:46pm

Post #7 of 9 (300 views)
Shortcut
Many people aren't familiar with Extended Editions [In reply to] Can't Post

Its easy for us to say that, because we have great interest in these movies and have seen them all (theatrical and extended editions), but most people who buys those DVDs may not know about the extended editions. There maybe even some who didn't watch Lotr at all. For them, by the time they see the Extended Edition tv-spot they will already have the TE and most of them won't care at all or will watch the extended scenes in youtube xD

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2014, 6:04pm

Post #8 of 9 (293 views)
Shortcut
Yes I admit that of course [In reply to] Can't Post

But it seems strange to me in this days

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jun 25 2014, 6:29pm

Post #9 of 9 (257 views)
Shortcut
True, I simply wait for the EE. [In reply to] Can't Post

I might pick up a discounted sales price theatrical just for collection purposes.

It is hard to estimate how many people who buy the movies are real fans of JRRT vs casual interest buyers.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.