The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Beorn: Orc / Warg interrogation

TheHutt
Gondor

Jun 22 2014, 12:00pm

Post #1 of 11 (1854 views)
Shortcut
Beorn: Orc / Warg interrogation Can't Post

Another bit found in the Hobbit Chronicles 4 was about a scene from a book where Beorn reveals how he interrogated an orc the night before.

"That Orc head magically appeared from Weta Workshop at very little notice when it was realized we needed it to illustrate a scripted moment, the result of a run-in the previous evening between Beorn and an Orc and Warg scouting party. It showed up on set literally minutes before the camera rolled!" (Ra Vincent, Set Decorator)

"As in the book, an impaled Orc's head warns of the consequences of trespassing on Beorn's lands"

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Jun 22 2014, 12:01pm)

PredatoR
Bree

Jun 22 2014, 12:09pm

Post #2 of 11 (1372 views)
Shortcut
waow [In reply to] Can't Post

I would really like to see that scene! Fantastic it would be. & during this time, A company could climb down from carrock...

shaundobson
Rivendell

Jun 22 2014, 2:03pm

Post #3 of 11 (1318 views)
Shortcut
hopefully this makes the EE! [In reply to] Can't Post

tsmith675
Gondor

Jun 22 2014, 2:41pm

Post #4 of 11 (1296 views)
Shortcut
This would be a totally badass scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope it's in the EE.

Our destiny lies above us.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jun 22 2014, 2:59pm

Post #5 of 11 (1258 views)
Shortcut
Fingers crossed for that scene // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

"Tolkien Nazis is the disgusting scourge of the internet"

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 22 2014, 3:12pm

Post #6 of 11 (1313 views)
Shortcut
That will probably explain why... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Beorn is far behind the company as they run (seemingly for much of the next morning) towards his house, even though he seems pretty close to them in the opening scene where Bilbo sees him.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jun 23 2014, 3:15am

Post #7 of 11 (1146 views)
Shortcut
*Grins wickedly* [In reply to] Can't Post

The odds that splatter-loving PJ would disregard this grim detail and leave it in the text were slim to none.

I had a strong hunch that Jackson would do more than just consider it.

Like all of the other prospective EE material, the scripted moment and ghastly "prop" would be welcome additions.

Thanks for uploading that gruesome photo, TheHutt.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jun 23 2014, 3:56am

Post #8 of 11 (1133 views)
Shortcut
Or. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

After Bolg retrieves his father, one of the orc scouts that Azog may or may not have ordered to stay behind finds himself on the wrong end of a late-night tussle with the deadly werebear?

"That Orc head magically appeared from Weta Workshop at very little notice when it was realized we needed it to illustrate a scripted moment, the result of a run-in the previous evening between Beorn and an Orc and Warg scouting party. It showed up on set literally minutes before the camera rolled!"

I could very well be misinterpreting the provided information (I tend to be wrong most of the time), but it has lead me to assume that the impaled orc-head prop was required for the outdoor shooting of the company's introduction to Beorn.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

Wootton Major
The Shire

Jun 23 2014, 9:22pm

Post #9 of 11 (1054 views)
Shortcut
Warg skin? [In reply to] Can't Post

From memory, in the book there is also a warg skin nailed to the fence? Is there any mention of this anywhere?

To me this is far more impressive. Anyone can behead an orc, to skin a warg with your 'bear hands' is another thing.

I really hope this makes it in....

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 23 2014, 10:05pm

Post #10 of 11 (1039 views)
Shortcut
More than one way to skin a Warg? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
From memory, in the book there is also a warg skin nailed to the fence? Is there any mention of this anywhere?

To me this is far more impressive. Anyone can behead an orc, to skin a warg with your 'bear hands' is another thing.

I presume that Beorn was in Mannish form when he skinned the Warg.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Dcole4
Rohan

Jun 23 2014, 10:38pm

Post #11 of 11 (1054 views)
Shortcut
I don't think we'll see this scene in the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

With the switch from 2 films to 3 films they moved the "Azog returns to Dol Guldur" scene much earlier. I think that in the original structure Azog would have returned to Dol Guldur AFTER failing to nab the dwarves in the barrel sequence. It would have opened film 2 (*of 2).

Since the barrel sequence was moved to the middle of a second film, the Azog talk w/ the Necromancer no longer worked as a mid-piece scene since it (re)introduces the audience to his motives, and really is a "beginning of the movie" type of the scene. So they squeezed it into the Beorn section of the film, now the opening of film 2 (*of 3), REPLACING a scene in which Beorn confronts the warg scouts. We may still see the head on the stake during the scene in which Gandalf & Bilbo introduce Beorn to the dwarves but I highly doubt we'll see any form of a battle during the night.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.