Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Guillermo Del Toro FINALLY Speaks On The Hobbit.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 14 2008, 4:49pm

Post #1 of 27 (1819 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo Del Toro FINALLY Speaks On The Hobbit. Can't Post

The original article is over at Empire Online.

Exclusive: Del Toro Gives Hobbit Update
On the original cast and that law suit

We caught up with Guillermo Del Toro but a few minutes ago and asked him for an update on the current situation with The Hobbit. Many sites have been reporting that his deal to direct is signed and sealed and just waiting for an end to the writers' strike before it's announced. But that’s not so, he says.

“I wish it was definite, but it isn’t,” he told us. “It’s still in talks, there are still a lot of 'T's to cross and 'I's to dot. It’s certainly not certain yet…But, as far as I’m concerned, [if it was definite] I would be packed in ten seconds”.

Many will know that earlier this week the Tolkien estate announced that they are suing New Line for money they say is owed them from the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which could potentially mean the studio loses the rights to make The Hobbit.

“I heard that, but I’m quite zen about those things,” Del Toro continued. “Since that news broke, I have not exchanged a single phone call with my lawyer or my manager or anyone. They talk about it and I have received some emails, but, as far as I’m concerned, until I’m on board I should not worry about it. I read about it, but there’s nothing I can do about it. This week seems to be the lawsuit week in Hollywood”.

Finally, if, fingers crossed, he does put pen to paper to direct The Hobbit and its sequel, we asked him if he’d bring back any of the Lord of the Rings cast whose characters appear in The Hobbit, like Andy Serkis and Ian McKellen.

“Yeah, absolutely. I’ve been pretty much incredibly open about the things that I love and don’t love in the past. I’ve turned down huge franchises in the past because there are parts of that world I don’t gel with. The reason I took Blade 2 is because I love the characters that Stephen Norrington created and the actors he used. That times ten is the reason why I’m interested in The Hobbit”

There may be lots of bizarre typos and randomly inserted symbols in stories in the near future, as we'll be typing with fingers crossed that this will finally happen.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 14 2008, 6:05pm

Post #2 of 27 (1018 views)
Shortcut
As I suspected [In reply to] Can't Post

Del Toro was inappropriate in his earlier appearance on French TV, allowing the announcer to present him as the next director of The Hobbit. Nothing is decided.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Nimloth
Lorien

Feb 14 2008, 6:29pm

Post #3 of 27 (888 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

That doesn't sound quite as 'official' as I expected. Unsure

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 14 2008, 6:41pm

Post #4 of 27 (907 views)
Shortcut
Good ol' Empire. [In reply to] Can't Post

Love that last par. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 14 2008, 7:38pm

Post #5 of 27 (887 views)
Shortcut
A zen-master! Cool :D [In reply to] Can't Post

FINALLY an interview with some red meat on the bone! Someone's asking him questions that WE want answered, and he's responding as clearly and openly as possible! *wild applause* He's such a great fit to the attitude and passion of the type Peter has in his camp!

This week seems to be the lawsuit week in Hollywood”.

BWHAHAHAA!!! He's sounds really impressed (sarcastic tone here), and I like how he diffuses the drama of the whole mess.

The more I hear from this gent, the more I like him. Thanks for this, Earl! You've made my day!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Windfola
The Shire

Feb 14 2008, 7:57pm

Post #6 of 27 (871 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

does this mean, that PJ could end up being the director after all...?
well, I just hope we DO get a Hobbit movie after the recent lawsuit...

Elven
Valinor

Feb 14 2008, 9:07pm

Post #7 of 27 (856 views)
Shortcut
Thankyou Earl [In reply to] Can't Post

Some substance .... a comment finally ... and a zen comment at that Laugh ... very cool.

It appears that this is a complicated matter - and more so than just the lack of a pen to sigh the papers.
But I like the idea, that there are those he would have back that were from the original cast, so all is well on many levels ... there is confidence at least, if not a signature.

But this lawsuit is a problem. And there only needs to be 'another' lawsuit now to hold things up. The Hobbit 2015. Peter should be at least on board for one of them by then.

I wonder if Peter has been approached to comment on any of this?
What could he add? He must have his own thoughts about the matter and how he see's things progressing.
Even at this stage ... no Director on board regardless of strikes and lawsuits?
The clock ticks loudly to me ... but it will be what will be. Im in no hurry - but Im just an observer like us all ...
... and still no comment from New LIne ...

Actually we're pretty short of 'actual facts' since the announcement about Peter and Frans part.

How does it end ... to quote Geoffery Rush "its a mystery"

Cheers for the article Earl
Elven!

Amy Winehouse acquires Shire retreat for Summer ...

Amy Winehouse sells Shire retreat in Autumn ...

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 14 2008, 9:37pm

Post #8 of 27 (868 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting a little worried [In reply to] Can't Post

that we're sharing a few brain cells - the "It's a mystery" line has been coming to me ever since Del Toro was somewhat confirmed as the inside runner. Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2008, 10:54pm

Post #9 of 27 (870 views)
Shortcut
Del Toro . . . you've finally earned my trust . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't really know much about Del Toro's intentions for The Hobbit, but if this is true, then I have full trust in him now. With Pete by his side, I'm sure he'll do fine. If Pete ends up directing, I'll definitly be happy, and if Del Toro does it . . . well . . . I'm fine. Smile

"Death is just another pathway . . . one which we all must take."

-Gandalf from "The Return of the King"

(This post was edited by One Ringer on Feb 14 2008, 10:55pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 14 2008, 11:10pm

Post #10 of 27 (828 views)
Shortcut
Another thing [In reply to] Can't Post

I found out today while listening to the commentary for Pans Labyrinth is that he chose not to be compensated for his directorial duties to help ensure the funding of the film. I think I also understand that he didn't receive any Producer payment until after the film's release, too. It reminded me of when Jackson financed development of the Massive software (IIRC) for filming the huge CG armies.

sample sample

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Feb 14 2008, 11:45pm

Post #11 of 27 (861 views)
Shortcut
What? You didn't believe TORn? [In reply to] Can't Post

Pirate We reported that he was definitely signed, only 99%, sure and nothing would be settled until the writer's strike ended. I hope I get some credibility for Valentines Day! Wink

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

(This post was edited by MrCere on Feb 14 2008, 11:46pm)

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Feb 14 2008, 11:51pm

Post #12 of 27 (820 views)
Shortcut
Glad you listened to that [In reply to] Can't Post

It really cemented my high opinion of him. It also was interesting to view Pan's L through the director's eyes. I DO understand why some wouldn't enjoy or like the film but I CANNOT understand how people dismissed it.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

Sunflower
Valinor

Feb 15 2008, 1:21am

Post #13 of 27 (807 views)
Shortcut
But what if.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..these comments were made in a sort of "shrug it off in public, so they calm down, but don't tell anyone what you REALLY feel" kind of mode?

(*Runs away to hide--and pop my heart medication while I'm at it--figuratively speaking*LaughEvilSly)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 15 2008, 3:22am

Post #14 of 27 (839 views)
Shortcut
Xo even scolded me about it, [In reply to] Can't Post

saying it had to be true because Del Toro confirmed it himself. But I held firm. The announcement for the director of the Hobbit will never come from a television show without the participation of Peter and the studio. Del Toro was out of line, and I hope his politicking doesn't hurt his chances.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 15 2008, 6:34am

Post #15 of 27 (802 views)
Shortcut
I daresay [In reply to] Can't Post

he may have been alot more sure before this damned suit. I worry. Elven may be comfortable waiting until 2015, but I know I dcertainly am not. And I am not alone in this. There is little any of us can do about it ( aside from sending those ensemble checksWink). But the 2010 announcment raised my excitement bar to the zenith. I'd be terribly let down if it fell through.

I appreciated Del Toro's seeming candor a great deal. I wish some official would respond about chances of resolving the suit quickly. But there may be a gag order, or something, soUnsure

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Elven
Valinor

Feb 15 2008, 8:06am

Post #16 of 27 (789 views)
Shortcut
LOL!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile
Tee Hee. Im sorry if I put a downer on things ... Wink but Ive written plenty about this situation, over the past few years and I have mentioned delays and changes, 2 movies, 2 directors, blah blah blah, my endless dribble that I like to post Laugh and like sunflower and entmaiden, I have been wrapped across the knuckles ... heck, Ive been told not to post until some things go off page one. LOL!! ...

But its all in good fun and the spirit of conversation and its all probable and possible in every direction ... at every turn there's something more to consider and think about with all this Hobbitish stuff! ...

We may not have to wait that long. but I still see Peter in the Directors seat ... stranger things have happened ... and OH boy! what a Fan Movie we will have after this Soap Opera is finished ... The Making Breaking Raking Staking of the Hobbit Movie!! Laugh

Im enjoying reading your posts AinurOlorin! They full of Hobbity excitement!

Cheers
Elven x

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

Elven
Valinor

Feb 15 2008, 8:10am

Post #17 of 27 (776 views)
Shortcut
Ah! ... [In reply to] Can't Post

But it all worked at splendidly in the end ... whatever that end maybe ... Crazy Laugh

Here's to Brain Cells and Mysteries!! ... and Geoffery Rush and Shakespeare!

Cheers Ataahua
Elven

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Whom do you serve!"

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 15 2008, 9:47am

Post #18 of 27 (756 views)
Shortcut
No it doesn't sound very official indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

But that's what happens when you let slip an untimely whisper. I think in his enthusiam, GDT made the "mistake" of saying that he was the chosen director for The Hobbit. Whether the Writer's Strike was on or not, and whether this new lawsuit has anything to do with it or not, it was probably thought inappropriate by the studios. So this is his way of salvaging the situation.

Because this whole Hobbit project is too much of a collaboration now for any one person/camp to come forth with news as big as the chosen director. Even when PJ and NL settled, it was all hush hush and there was suddenly a joint statement by NL, PJ and MGM about the project(s). In the case of the director, I daresay we'll see a repeat scenario, though with the director added to the equation of course. And how I hope it will be GDT now, since after PJ, he's my top choice Smile

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 15 2008, 9:49am

Post #19 of 27 (762 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he seems to be learning a thing or two from PJ already [In reply to] Can't Post

About evading sensitive topics gracefully, and yet giving people cause to get excited by his choice of words. I'm liking him more already.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 15 2008, 9:54am

Post #20 of 27 (794 views)
Shortcut
GASP No, not 2015. [In reply to] Can't Post

The only reason I'm reluctant to wait that many years is because the members of our dear old White Council do not in actuality consist of immortal beings.

Now if they film all the movies and the release is held up by lawsuits, that I can live with. Wink There'll be spy reports, insider news, teaser pics and whatnot to speculate on while the lawyers break their heads over who gets what percentage of the profits. Unlikely scenario, but a much better one that what we're in if this should drag on for a year or so.

(This post was edited by Earl on Feb 15 2008, 9:55am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 15 2008, 10:04am

Post #21 of 27 (757 views)
Shortcut
You know I'm [In reply to] Can't Post

a wus when it comes to a certain kind of movie... but there's no way I can dismiss the fabulous look and feel of this film. It's gorgeous! His passion for detail, "pallet", and story is infectious, and the style is fascinating. The devotion to the projects he believes in drives him to be as true to the work as possible... just like Peter Jackson. I'm so excited about this collaboration now. This is gonna be great!

sample sample

Elven
Valinor

Feb 15 2008, 1:41pm

Post #22 of 27 (748 views)
Shortcut
;-) ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe not until theyre released, but maybe until we can all be discussing both movies because they have been released ... Wink ... who knows Smile

But I think if any one of the cast couldnt be there in person, by then (and maybe even now) CGI could make up for whats missing - and I could handle that ... as a last resort.

Smile
Cheers Earl
Elven

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Whom do you serve!"

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Feb 15 2008, 5:54pm

Post #23 of 27 (750 views)
Shortcut
What a difference ONE WORD makes [In reply to] Can't Post

What I meant to say in my above post, was not: "We reported that he was definitely signed," but rather, "We reported that he was definitely NOT signed,"

See, one little word. We (I) reported he was definitely NOT signed from a very good inside source.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 15 2008, 6:54pm

Post #24 of 27 (752 views)
Shortcut
No Doubt [In reply to] Can't Post

Have no fear. The power of Smaug's treasure will win out. The movies will happen and soon.
Pass the tobacco jar.

Kangi Ska

(This post was edited by Altaira on Feb 16 2008, 2:34am)

overlithe64
Rivendell

Feb 17 2008, 12:49am

Post #25 of 27 (734 views)
Shortcut
sounds encouraging....but [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry all I can't get excited yet....I mean I am excited, but I refuse to let it escalate until all the particulars are signed sealed and delivered and the cast is under contract on on the plane, heading over. It all seems so tentative....Crossing my fingers that it all works out for the best.....what ever that combination of events/participants may be.

(This post was edited by overlithe64 on Feb 17 2008, 12:51am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.