The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Battles

trqn13
Bree

Jun 21 2014, 9:14pm

Post #1 of 10 (3365 views)
Shortcut
Battles Can't Post

throwing out a few hypothetical battles that could of happened, pick you winners and/or add some more:

smaug vs the balrog

galadriel vs the witch king

mouth of sauron vs aragorn

gandalf vs ungoliant

saruman vs thranduil

"Give me your name, Horse Master, and I shall give you mine"

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 1:48pm

Post #2 of 10 (2889 views)
Shortcut
Battles [In reply to] Can't Post

mouth of sauron vs aragorn
Aragorn cleans his clock- easy peasy

gandalf vs ungoliant
This would have had to be Olorin - and tough call - even money

saruman vs thranduil
Saruman wins, sorry to say

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
-Albert Einstein

Olorin the Wise

Jul 15 2014, 8:09pm

Post #3 of 10 (2827 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug vs the Balrog: the Valaraukar or Balrogs were Morgoth's greatest servants, and the general consensus is that, being Maiar spirits, a Balrog would most likely be the stronger foe. Durin's Bane (whom I assume you are referring to when you say *the* Balrog) took a great deal of killing, whereas Smaug was slain by a single arrow.
Galadriel vs the Witch-King: This depends on whether Glorfindel's Prophecy applies to all women as opposed to just women of the Race of Man-presumably it does. I would think that Galadriel would be the victor here, since she would be able to drive the Witch-King away, being as she is The Lady of Light.
Mouth of Sauron vs Aragorn: Presumably the Mouth of Sauron is well versed in Black Sorcery, even though words are his primary weapon. If Aragorn was able to get near enough to the Mouth of Sauron then he would probably dispatch the Black Numenorean fairly quickly-otherwise I'd give it to the Mouth.
Gandalf vs Ungoliant: Well, based on the evidence that Ungoliant effectively defeated Morgoth, I'd say that Gandalf would most likely perish if he came up against her, even in his unrestrained Maia form.
Saruman vs Thranduil: There is little evidence in the book to suggest that Thranduil was a particularly skilled adversary, being as he was less wise than other Elven lords and weak as far as treasure was concerned. I doubt that Saruman's powers of persuasion could dominate such a strong-willed figure, but the Elven King would nevertheless be destroyed by such a powerful opponent.
Just my own personal analogies, make of them what you will! Smile

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 17 2014, 9:37am

Post #4 of 10 (2757 views)
Shortcut
Glorfindel's prophecy doesn't have anything to do with women specifically... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but says that the WK won't fall by the hands of men, I.e. The race of men.

So Galadriel, as an elf, would not fall under that category.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 17 2014, 1:03pm

Post #5 of 10 (2750 views)
Shortcut
Glorfindel's prophecy [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindel's words to Eärnur were: "Do not pursue him! He will not return to these lands. Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man will he fall." (ROTK, Appendix A, iv)
As it were Éowyn (a female of the race of men) and Merry (a male of the race of hobbits) who eventually brought him down, it seems that any person not a male member of the race of men (a man in the both senses of the word) could impose a possible threat to him.

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Jul 17 2014, 1:04pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 17 2014, 5:11pm

Post #6 of 10 (2744 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it took the two hands of two men [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Glorfindel's words to Eärnur were: "Do not pursue him! He will not return to these lands. Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man will he fall." (ROTK, Appendix A, iv)

Instead of a man it took two men: a woman and a hobbit. Neither could have done it alone.

The Hobbits are, of course, really meant to be a branch of the specifically human race (not Elves or Dwarves) -- hence the two kinds can dwell together (as at Bree), and are called just the Big Folk and Little Folk.
-JRR Tolkien, Letter #131

"We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
-Robert Wilensky

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jul 17 2014, 5:12pm)

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 17 2014, 7:26pm

Post #7 of 10 (2753 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that it's only because Merry's sword from the Barrow-Downs was enchanted by the Dunedain of the North specifically to break the spell holding the WiKi together. And so a Eowyn could now kill him.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 17 2014, 7:47pm

Post #8 of 10 (2997 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

So passed the sword of the Barrow-downs, work of Westernesse. But glad would he have been to know its fate who wrought it slowly long ago in the North-kingdom when the Dúnedain were young, and chief among their foes was the dread realm of Angmar and its sorcerer king. No other blade, not though mightier hands had wielded it, would have dealt that foe a wound so bitter, cleaving the undead flesh, breaking the spell that knit his unseen sinews to his will.
[ROTK, "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields"]

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 2 2014, 11:44pm

Post #9 of 10 (2630 views)
Shortcut
My winners are [In reply to] Can't Post

- The Balrog

- Galadriel

- Aragorn

- Ungoliant

- Saruman

lastnickleft
The Shire

Dec 14 2014, 6:36pm

Post #10 of 10 (2662 views)
Shortcut
I have to make a defense here [In reply to] Can't Post

smaug vs the balrog: Smaug is far bigger and dangerous, IMHO, and we do know he could actually fly. The fact that he was killed by an arrow is just the dramatic elipsis of the story, not a measure of his power. Have to go with Smaug.

galadriel vs the witch king: Galadriel, no doubt.

mouth of sauron vs aragorn: Aragorn.

gandalf vs ungoliant: I think that not even Olorin would have a chance. Ungoliant.

saruman vs thranduil: Well, I see must of you go straight for Saruman, but, even if we have no direct estimation of Thranduil's power, there are some facts that might help us to make an idea. Thranduil is very old, at least 7000 years (though Saruman is older anyway), and has witnessed many battles, such as probably the ruin of Doriath, survived The Last Alliance and fought in the Battle of the Five Armies and the War of the Ring...and won all his battles. About his personal power, we have even a hint of his magic in the Magic Doors of the Halls of Mirkwood. Remember that Thranduil was the only Elven Lord to survive without the help of a Ring, and he was in the most dangerous location, and at least part of this should be regarded to his individual power. I will go with a 50/50 here, with Saruman having a decent advantage in magic, and Thranduil having a huge advantage in armed combat.

(This post was edited by lastnickleft on Dec 14 2014, 6:37pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.