First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 21 2014, 2:35pm

Post #1 of 206 (13162 views)
Shortcut
     The Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part VI  

Rolling right on with appreciating Thranduil Heart

Free to appreciative thralls, just click on it to see the wallpaper-size version Smile
(Disclaimer: The image manips/fanart were not made by me.
I simply picked them and powerpointed them together into a JPG for
my laptop wallpaper. )

The Thranduil Appreciation thread count:
I (Originating thread by Rowan Greene)
II
III
IV
V

Keeping track of the appreciation
Caught off-guard at how much you've missed? 1 simple click will ensure you won't miss another update again. Put this thread on watch! Locate the "Watch thread" button to the top and right of this post (button 3 of the 5 threads buttons you see) and click it.

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 21 2014, 2:47pm

Post #2 of 206 (11378 views)
Shortcut
     Fanart [In reply to]  

Recap from thread V: Lovely stained glass stylings (Note: a lot of lovely ME pieces on the artist's deviantart site)

New one (this artist really is a master at starry skies)

Water-colour portraitHeart

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 21 2014, 3:02pm

Post #3 of 206 (11361 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil Thralls' Silmmie Read-along [In reply to]  

The Silmarillion Read-along blog on tumblr: http://tolkienreadalong.tumblr.com/

Well, I wanted to check and quickly post an update+question on the read-along team sign-up for Eruvandi, Kerewyn, and vanima, and got to start a new thread in the bargain. Yay for that, but nay for the threadlock - we were so rolling right along. Sly

Anyway, in summary:
a) To sign up, one simply had to contact the read-along blog's owner through tumblr or twitter and indicate top 3 team choices
b) Thralls want to be in the same read-along team.
c) We need to coordinate and decide on our choices before sign-up I suppose. 1) Doriath? 2) Gondolin? 3) Angband?... or would Feanorians be preferred? Tongue

Tumblr of thralls participating:
Eruvandi
Kerewyn
vanima
lurker in the Mirk

(For ref, the related discussion posts in thread five were mostly this post by Kerewyn and replies to it)

ETA: Look at this cool ad for the read-along

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jun 21 2014, 3:09pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 21 2014, 3:15pm

Post #4 of 206 (11342 views)
Shortcut
     Amendment: Link fix for the stained glass piece [In reply to]  

(Duh so much for previews... I shouldn't trust my eyes when it gets late Tongue)

=======

Calithilel
Rivendell

Jun 21 2014, 3:42pm

Post #5 of 206 (11342 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil fan art [In reply to]  

http://www.deviantart.com/...dish-Fears-453913836

I just love this Heart

"Barrels? Now that is interesting." - Smaug

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2014, 5:45pm

Post #6 of 206 (11262 views)
Shortcut
     Coordinating teams [In reply to]  

Good thing we all tend to think along similar lines because I went ahead and sent a message with my team choices before I saw this post.Blush (new appreciation thread! Yay!Cool)

Going off what we had been discussing in the other thread, my top two choices were 1.) Doriath and 2.) Gondolin.

Not knowing much about the characters/places that the other teams represent, I wasn't sure what to do for number 3 so I went with Ainur since one of the more accurate (IMO) "What Sil character are you" quizzes from a few weeks ago over on the Main discussion board said that I was like Melian and she was a Maiar and married an elf.

I'm really getting excited for this read-along! I looks like so much fun!Laugh

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2014, 5:55pm

Post #7 of 206 (11278 views)
Shortcut
     Lol! I love that too! [In reply to]  

Yes, there's no such thing as a tiny little spider in Mirkwood! I love the small details in the comic too, like Little Leggy with his "greenleaf" footy pajamas and his elk stuffed animal, and Thranduil reading his "Gems Monthly" magazine!LaughHeart He still looks fabulous in a robe btw.Wink

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 21 2014, 6:03pm

Post #8 of 206 (11332 views)
Shortcut
     from the peanut gallery [In reply to]  

we dwarves are right in the middle of a food-and-axe toss - oh, well, OK. A shoutout to TORn member veArkenstone who posted a lovely summary of Thranduil's backstory. And speaking just for myself, I still think that showing more on Thranduil's backstory would be the best of the prologues, considering.

So for me, among other things, the characters that are most beloved by me in the films - Thorin, Thranduil, Dwalin, even Bilbo (except Balin) - are much like the most beautiful gemstones IMO, with fascinating fissures and patterns e.g. "other lands are not my concern". I love Thranduil as he is what he is, with no apology (and IMO no need to do so). A truly REFRESHING elf, and full of mystery and power (the Fisher King). This is some of what I see Thranduil as:

While I am less rabid for a trailer than some, one reason to look forward to it is the (hopefully) explosion of images that will result, *sulk* there just isn't enough Thranduil material.

Lastly, *snigger* Lurker commented in another thread I've managed to interject his Majesty into Thranduil appreciation threads here and there. Well, yes, it is one of the highest compliments that could be paid to Thranduil, the fierce enmity of the Lord of Silver Fountains. And yet the two kings have captured the imagination of fans worldwide, including mine, so I couldn't resist this heart-warming image:

Suitable for "Christmas in July" celebrations.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2014, 6:32pm

Post #9 of 206 (11269 views)
Shortcut
     Response to fan art post in old thread [In reply to]  

This one.

Me: I really like pics of Oropher, Thranduil and Legolas all together! Heart It strikes me as very sweet and I feel like they would have been a very loving and close-knit family had it not been for the tragedy of Oropher’s death in the LA. In my head-cannon I imagine that the pain of losing his father so abruptly and all of the responsibilities of being king being suddenly thrust upon him is one of the reasons Thranduil tends to be so cold and withdrawn during the time of TH.
Lurker: Me too! Love to see the magnificent Mirkwood three together. My gripe is Orry tends to be depicted as too much of a Thranddy clone. Leggy as the son isn't a replica, so why is the Thranddy dad a replica of him? Tongue

Right? I've wondered about that too. The only art I've seen that specifically seems to make Orry still look related to Thrandy without making them clones is this pic of Oropher: (Yes! I finally figured out how to make it clickable!)

Then there are these (gorgeous) pics of Thranduil by the same artist. They definitely look related, but not identical. If you get the chance to look at the artist's whole gallery there are other Thranduil and LP pics there too, as well as a whole bunch of wonderful Sil and CoH character portraits that are done in the same style as these. (I Heart her style!) I especially love her pics of Thingol because that's exactly how I picture him in my head!

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 21 2014, 7:34pm

Post #10 of 206 (11253 views)
Shortcut
     yay!!! [In reply to]  

yay!!! that was the quiz i put together! : )

cheers. : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Jun 21 2014, 11:03pm

Post #11 of 206 (11227 views)
Shortcut
     I think I'm set up for the read along [In reply to]  

I managed to set up a tumblr and a twitter with the name "vanimaephel" - but that's pretty much all I've done. I hadn't looked for the sign up sheet yet and wasn't sure what might be going on with the teams. I'd be fine with the three you've chosen (minus Angband, of course - if only to give myself the imaginary chance at inspiration for a fanwork Wink ). I don't suppose Thralls get any kind of special consideration? (I'm picturing tumblr being chock full of rabid Thranduil fans - so maybe being a Thrall might make us no different than everyone else trying for a particular - Dorieth! - team? Or is it my mindset that's too Thranduil centric?)

p.s.: My vacation was spent walking from museum to historical site to monument, over and over again (and we still didn't get to see everything we'd hoped to), in Washington DC. It wore me out, but the weather was beautiful. (I just wish I had an extra week off to put my feet up. Tongue)

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Jun 21 2014, 11:47pm

Post #12 of 206 (11245 views)
Shortcut
     It looks like we're all thinking along the same lines... [In reply to]  

Doriath and Gondolin and A Roll of the Dice.

RE: LEGO Hobbit from the last post
I've watched the youtube video of the game's "cutscenes" that Lurker linked. It's so adorable how LEGO plays with the material, things like: lego hearts popping off Tauriel as she rescues Kili; Gandalf nodding off around Beorn; Azog's hand; and The Mirror - one for Thrandil, one for Fili, and one for Kili - none for Legolas (why? Tongue). Is any of this sort of thing in the game itself? (Mostly I'm wondering about the Legolas bit. He deserves a mirror. Cool)

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 22 2014, 1:06am

Post #13 of 206 (11242 views)
Shortcut
     Signing up... [In reply to]  

Well it looks pretty easy. There doesn't seem to be a sign-up form as such -- if there is, I haven't used it!

I simply sent a message telling of my top three team choices. You'll see the message box on the far left here. http://tolkienreadalong.tumblr.com/

I also mentioned that the four of us would quite like to be teamed up, but that we were easy with whatever the blog-maestro chooses. (has anyone noticed his/her name?)

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 22 2014, 1:28am

Post #14 of 206 (11214 views)
Shortcut
     Fan art [In reply to]  

Thank you Avandel for these lovely images, and for suggesting the final one for a most antipodean practise! (where those of us who eat glazed ham and salad on a 35C Christmas Day get to enjoying pull crackers over a hot roast chook.)

I really must pull all my favourite fan art together and curate them for myself into a personal gallery. Wolfanita and breathing2004 are now in my top five artists.

Lurker thanks again for a great thread starter, and all the links you've put there. Would you mind posting the image that you've used in the centre top of your wallpaper?... I feel I haven;t seen that actual pic before, though I've seen very similar ones in outfit, stance etc

My tumblr page http://kerewynisms.tumblr.com/ is a work in progress... Wink currently with a place-holder photo in the header. I'm seeking a piece of fan art or photo that will suit my new description -- any suggestions?

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 1:44am

Post #15 of 206 (11199 views)
Shortcut
     Hi Calithilel [In reply to]  

LOL. That one was a hoot when I first saw it. If you'd like more Thranduil humour, fanart, GIFs etc, look in the "Woodland Weekend" subthread in thread V for a start (I think you'll find your recommendation in one of the posts there too). Of course there's stuff scattered all over the threads as well. Smile Have fun!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 1:53am

Post #16 of 206 (11214 views)
Shortcut
     Feanorians [In reply to]  

They are Feanor + his sons... badasses all, and the main reason for much of the FA's bloody drama. Just check out this read-along ad Smile

It's not accurate of course and probably heresy to some but I think of Feanor as sorta like the Elven Morgoth, and his sons Sauron.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 2:54am

Post #17 of 206 (11220 views)
Shortcut
     His hands are preoccupied? [In reply to]  

and The Mirror - one for Thrandil, one for Fili, and one for Kili - none for Legolas (why? Tongue). Is any of this sort of thing in the game itself? (Mostly I'm wondering about the Legolas bit. He deserves a mirror. Cool)

With his bow and arrows? Tongue

Doriath and Gondolin and A Roll of the Dice.

Yeah. My dice-roll is Team Feanorians. Was tempted to go Angband but I'd better keep my focus on the Elves for now. Smile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 3:20am

Post #18 of 206 (11388 views)
Shortcut
     Did you make these, Avandel? [In reply to]  

Nice!

we dwarves are right in the middle of a food-and-axe toss - oh, well, OK.

LoL ... yeah, Lindir's note is being circulated in the Elven housekeeping circles prolly

Lastly, *snigger* Lurker commented in another thread I've managed to interject his Majesty into Thranduil appreciation threads here and there. Well, yes, it is one of the highest compliments that could be paid to Thranduil, the fierce enmity of the Lord of Silver Fountains. And yet the two kings have captured the imagination of fans worldwide, including mine

LoL it is high compliment indeed. Not many are able to be so equal opportunistic in appreciation. Too concerned with line-drawing *pfft* (I wish my sister could time to get out of her movie-only sphere. I think you and she would have lotsa to talk about - she is a bona-fide T & T AA card-carrying member)

You, Avandel, are truly a valued honorary member of Thranduil Appreciation.

Been meaning to say this: have you noticed how Thralls' collective behaviour sorta mirror the respective kings' situations? Thranduil's Thralls have these appreciation threads and pretty much keep to the threads (well, except Eruvandi, but we know that's cos of her avatarSmile), while Thorin's just pop everywhere the key words surface. Tongue

Anyway, on on the back of that, for Thranduil's Thralls who also have room for some Dwarven appreciation, and don't mind the Men form instead of the more Pc Dwarf frame the artist has endowed said Dwarves with, *cough*a bit of EI goodness here. (Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your perspective, the artist isn't partial to doing the same for Elves)

*ahem* in the same spirit, I offer a few X'mas carols, ME style Sly These are old, and more LotR than TH (I plan to remedy the situation), but I wager they're good for a bit of fun around the dinner table, especially if Dwarves are involved :P

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 3:28am

Post #19 of 206 (11165 views)
Shortcut
     Oh cool! [In reply to]  

Thanks, Eruvandi! Gonna check those Thranddy ones out Sly

Yes! I finally figured out how to make it clickable!

Great! Now we'll have more fun with the image embedding Smile

Nice! He does remind me of unnamed Elf (allegedly Glorfindel) beside Elrond at Aragorn's coronation.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 3:41am

Post #20 of 206 (11187 views)
Shortcut
     Description and that pic [In reply to]  

That's a great description, Kerewyn. I'd give up a few thumbs' up if the emoticon was available here. I think you'd prolly want a combo pic to properly represent each of those services in the one header pic eh? Sorry, I can't think well right now on that.

I really must pull all my favourite fan art together and curate them for myself into a personal gallery. Wolfanita and breathing2004 are now in my top five artists.

If you're making links on your tumblr or future blog, can I piggy-back them for a quickstart for my own gallery? Blush I'm all over the place with links and tracking favs right now Crazy

Lurker thanks again for a great thread starter, and all the links you've put there. Would you mind posting the image that you've used in the centre top of your wallpaper?... I feel I haven;t seen that actual pic before, though I've seen very similar ones in outfit, stance etc

Welcome! Somehow I seem to have a knack for checking in after threadlock (might just be time zones *shrug*), and I feel the cover(?) post ought to have something we've not actually seen before so... Blush

That image is a fanartified screenshot from the BTS of the orc beheading as LP was walking up the stairs to his throne room. I think the source link is in the one of the earlier threads... one mo... ah! here!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 3:42am

Post #21 of 206 (11172 views)
Shortcut
     Heh [In reply to]  

Can't not mention his bedroom slippers. Must be a comfy relief after being hi-booted all day Tongue

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 5:28am

Post #22 of 206 (11164 views)
Shortcut
     Addendum: I bet this will either be on top,of,your x'mas tree or all over it [In reply to]  

Seen on the TORn fb: Thorin!X'mas tree ornament

=======

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 22 2014, 7:44am

Post #23 of 206 (11161 views)
Shortcut
     Feanor, gallery, Thrall behaviour, abs [laugh] [In reply to]  

(Argh, galled at my too-late-to-correct typo above! Should be “enjoy pulling crackers” of course.)Blush

Yeah. My dice-roll is Team Feanorians. Was tempted to go Angband but I'd better keep my focus on the Elves for now. Smile

Ooh, I had no idea he was a baddass. Shows how much I need to read this book. I chose Team Feanorians as my third as well, same reason – sticking with elves. Though I nearly went Edain.

I think you'd prolly want a combo pic to properly represent each of those services in the one header pic eh?

Yes I’m starting to think a combo pic as well, and will start seeking images to match. Getting together a gallery would be a starting point for such projects as my proposed calendar. In which case I may also take votes and submissions from Thralls too. You can certainly piggyback it! Gotta find time to sit down and seriously tidy up my filing – which probably won’t happen until after Camp Nano. (And my dad’s visit!)

And ta for the wallpaper image. I was right, I don’t think I had seen that one before. It looked, from the tiny version, that his hair might be slightly ruffled. Ever so slightly. Where’s that person with the comb? Heart

You, Avandel, are truly a valued honorary member of Thranduil Appreciation.

Agreement. I always like hearing your view when you drop by.

Been meaning to say this: have you noticed how Thralls' collective behaviour sorta mirror the respective kings' situations? Thranduil's Thralls have these appreciation threads and pretty much keep to the threads (well, except Eruvandi, but we know that's cos of her avatarSmile), while Thorin's just pop everywhere the key words surface.

“Other threads are not my concern.” Wink

(Not entirely true, I do lurk across others, but with many things in RL clamouring for my attention, and in danger of spreading myself too thinly, the hall of Thralls is my home, for now.)

Anyway, on on the back of that, for Thranduil's Thralls who also have room for some Dwarven appreciation, and don't mind the Men form instead of the more Pc Dwarf frame the artist has endowed said Dwarves with, *cough*a bit of EI goodness here.

Holy dwarven abs! *kinda speechless*
ShockedShockedBlushWink

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 22 2014, 7:48am

Post #24 of 206 (11164 views)
Shortcut
     Your ME Xmas carol [In reply to]  

Wow, nicely written and quite unexpected, when I realised the particular piece of story it was following. When you fanfic'd Gollum's capture, did you refer back to this early point in his story?

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 2:13pm

Post #25 of 206 (11120 views)
Shortcut
     Halt & Catch Fire: Watch Online (sign-in, with condition, required) [In reply to]  

So I was looking to see if there's an option available and turns out there is: Go here and sign-up. BUT, you need to indicate your TV and use your credentials there to access them eppies.

Well, so much for useful info of the day Evil Maybe it's useful for stateside thralls.

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.