Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Collecting The Precious - Gentle Giant's Bilbo Baggins Mini-Bust Review

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jun 20 2014, 7:37pm

Post #1 of 7 (682 views)
Shortcut
Collecting The Precious - Gentle Giant's Bilbo Baggins Mini-Bust Review Can't Post

IMG_9712I love Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins. He's just simply been so outstanding in the role of Bilbo Baggins that jumping on a few collectibles of him playing this character was a no-brainer. Today, I have for you a review of the Mini-Bust by Gentle Giant of Bilbo from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

For me, this is a case of the production piece showing improvement over the pictures on the box, as well as what we saw of the prototype. You can still get this bust from Gentle Giant's website for just $70, and with an edition size of just a little over 500 pieces, it won't last for long.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7uNtLyC2sw&w=640&h=360]

[gallery type="thumbnails" ids="90273,90274,90275,90276,90277,90278,90279,90280,90281,90282,90286,90287,90288,90289,90290,90291,90292,90293,90294,90295,90296,90297,90298"]

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 22 2014, 1:23pm

Post #2 of 7 (574 views)
Shortcut
I normally really like Gentle Giant's work [In reply to] Can't Post

and I have several of their pieces... but my ideal Bilbo item would have him more hobbity and less warlike.

I've also been so disappointed that Sideshow never gave us a hobbity statue of Pippin that would accompany my Frodo, Sam (w/Bill the Pony) and Merry Hobbity statues. Pippin's is in Minas Tirith armour in a warlike stance. I always hoped to have all 4 hobbits with the same theme. Although, Pippin's bust is very hobbity... which I also have ;)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 5:04pm

Post #3 of 7 (568 views)
Shortcut
A serious look [In reply to] Can't Post

He does have a serious look. We've actually not gotten a Bilbo piece yet from these movies with a calmer happier look to it but I think when its all said and done we will see one.

There was one planned. If you look at the Weta Collectors Guide book you will see a prototype of what the Pippin in Hobbit clothes would have looked like. For some reason and it may say in the book but the reason slips my mind they went with him in his Gondorian gear. The Pippin bust does have a very Pippin like quality to it. I need to go and get all four of the Hobbits busts so they can be represented in my collection like that.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 23 2014, 1:57am

Post #4 of 7 (562 views)
Shortcut
Maybe we'll get one for the 20th anniversary ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they went with the Gondorian Pippin because his release was closer to the RotK release. You never know what can happen next :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 23 2014, 2:58am

Post #5 of 7 (595 views)
Shortcut
Weta & LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right I think. I believe the reason was since we were closer to ROTK and not FOTR it made sense to go with that part of Pippens arc. We may not have to wait that long. Weta starting this SDCC will be making more LOTR statues so I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see a Pippen in his Hobbit garb.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 21 2014, 1:23am

Post #6 of 7 (512 views)
Shortcut
ooo.... I hope you're right! :D *twitch* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 21 2014, 1:32am

Post #7 of 7 (570 views)
Shortcut
Fingers crossed [In reply to] Can't Post

He may not come early in the rerelease but I like his chances.Cool Weta knows lots of folks have the Fellowship mostly in their FOTR garb and he helps complete that.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Jul 21 2014, 1:33am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.