Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
The Silmarillion is better than Lotr?
Poll: The Silmarillion is better than Lotr?
Yes it is
No it isn't
They're equal
View Results (45 votes)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 20 2014, 5:57pm

Post #1 of 15 (650 views)
Shortcut
The Silmarillion is better than Lotr? Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 20 2014, 6:01pm

Post #2 of 15 (510 views)
Shortcut
Nope. [In reply to] Can't Post

There aren't any hobbits in the Sil.

QED

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 20 2014, 6:03pm

Post #3 of 15 (507 views)
Shortcut
Cannot vote. [In reply to] Can't Post

I read them so differently I couldn't judge or say what I find subjectively better.

As as book to read in bed before going to sleep, LotR is more suited though, imho. Or to read almost every year around Christmas (or listen to on audiobooks).

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 20 2014, 8:42pm

Post #4 of 15 (490 views)
Shortcut
although... [In reply to] Can't Post

listening to Martin Shaw read the Sil will put me out in minutes! That is, listening in bed before sleep.

So I guess it depends on what you want from a book before bed. :-)

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 20 2014, 8:43pm

Post #5 of 15 (488 views)
Shortcut
Are oranges better than Swiss chard? [In reply to] Can't Post

can't compare.

I need that option here: can't compare as for 'better'.

In terms of what I like most: LOTR. But I don't know if that makes it better.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 20 2014, 9:42pm

Post #6 of 15 (499 views)
Shortcut
True :P [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 21 2014, 2:58am

Post #7 of 15 (473 views)
Shortcut
I can grow Swiss Chard here, but not oranges. Therefore [In reply to] Can't Post

I find chard something I can eat frequently and have as a more regular part of my life, whereas oranges seem more exotic and yummy, but tend to have unexpected flaws inside at times. (I'll leave you all to guess which I think is which . . .)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2014, 3:02am

Post #8 of 15 (481 views)
Shortcut
Depends on your purpose for reading [In reply to] Can't Post

The Silmarillion is not a fully realized narrative, though some parts are readable as such. To me, it's more a series of notes about various parts of the universe. Encyclopedia articles if you will.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 21 2014, 3:25am

Post #9 of 15 (485 views)
Shortcut
I didn't get this vibe at all [In reply to] Can't Post

It feels like a collection of wonderful legends to me. I prefer it to Lotr because the scope and history is huge. But then I am fond of mythology and am used to reading what may be considered to encyclopedic to some.

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Jun 21 2014, 3:25am)

Vepariga
The Shire

Jun 21 2014, 4:15pm

Post #10 of 15 (458 views)
Shortcut
Each has its merits [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR is superior in its narrative and characters, and the Sil is great for its over view and tales of various happenings.

I place them on equal-ish grounds but placing LOTR just that little bit higher. Sil is great for diving deeper into the lore and finding answers for questions you ask in your mind.

Mikah
Lorien

Jun 22 2014, 4:28am

Post #11 of 15 (441 views)
Shortcut
Agreed.... [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Silmarillion" is my favorite book. I absolutely love it. There are parts of that book which stirred my imagination like no other book has, such as Beren coming to Doriath. I like Lord of the Rings, as does any Tolkien fan, but there is something very special to me about the Sil. Like you, I rather enjoy lore and legend. My husband gave this book to me as a birthday gift and it is easily the best gift I have ever been given.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 23 2014, 12:32pm

Post #12 of 15 (413 views)
Shortcut
I said no, but some of that was my reaction when it was first published. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd been waiting for years, and then when Tolkien died I gave up hope that we'd ever see it. So I was so excited when it was finally published. But I'd been expecting another novel, and wasn't prepared for what it really is. So I was bitterly disappointed at the time.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 23 2014, 12:33pm

Post #13 of 15 (409 views)
Shortcut
That was pretty much my reaction. [In reply to] Can't Post

On an unrelated note, I tell my students that QED stands for "that's what we were trying to get", which is a reasonable rough translation of the Latin :-D

Noria
Gondor

Jun 24 2014, 9:20pm

Post #14 of 15 (421 views)
Shortcut
I love them both for different reasons. [In reply to] Can't Post

LotR is the easier read, being a novel in an almost conventional format.

The Silmarillion is a collection of stories in different voices that tell one overarching story. As much as I love LotR, I have to admit that for sheer beauty, The Silmarillion has it beat.

Konrad S
Lorien

Feb 7 2015, 11:28am

Post #15 of 15 (323 views)
Shortcut
Yes it better! [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.