Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
So who are all the main Anti Heroes in Tolkiens lore?

boldog
Rohan

Jun 20 2014, 11:38am

Post #1 of 10 (1653 views)
Shortcut
So who are all the main Anti Heroes in Tolkiens lore? Can't Post

Anti heroes, are characters who lack pure heroic characteristics, but still have that sense of "good" in them.
So this got me thinking, how many are there in Tolkiens lore? Ill try and name a few here, but if there is more, can you add on.
1. Thorin: during his dragon sickness
2. Feonor: Driven mad by his oath, would stop at nothing for vengeance upon morgoth
3. Sons of Feanor: Same as their father, and would even go as far as killing their own people to fulfill this oath.
4.Turin: Fought for the good side, but slowly was on a decent into despair.
5. Thranduil: Greedy, and cares little for others, yet in times of need, he fights for the good
6.?

Thats all I can think off from the top of my head. Any others you know of?

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 20 2014, 12:09pm

Post #2 of 10 (1551 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the definition of anti-hero... [In reply to] Can't Post

... when one looks through literature some use it as a term for characters who do not have classical hero traits (doubt instead of confidence, physically not exactly hero-like, etc.) while some only use it for those who mean good and are fundamentally good but ultimately fail or even do Evil deeds while the reader/audience/etc still has an understanding for them, at least on some level.

Frodo falls in both categories to some extent, Boromir mostly in the latter.

I wonder though whether the first category has not become the new "classical hero" (in modern literature, television and movies).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jun 20 2014, 12:15pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 20 2014, 12:37pm

Post #3 of 10 (1545 views)
Shortcut
Doing the right thing for the wrong reasons. [In reply to] Can't Post

The two dictionary definitions I have for antihero essentially agree:
- "a protagonist who is notably lacking in heroic qualities (as courage)." - The Merriam-Webster Dictionary (1997).
- "somebody who is the central character in a story but who is not brave, noble, or morally good as heroes traditionally are. - Encarta World English Dictionary (1999).

The most oft-cited example is probably the character of Harry Flashman of the Flashman novels by the late George MacDonald Fraser. I'm not sure that any of Tolkien's Middle-earth characters meet the above definitions. Maybe Smeagol when he takes the Ring into the Crack of Doom with him, but that was unintentional. Many of Tolkien's characters (like Boromir, Thorin Oakenshield, and Turin) are tragic heroes, but that isn't quite the same thing as an antihero.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 20 2014, 1:27pm

Post #4 of 10 (1542 views)
Shortcut
the only candidate [In reply to] Can't Post

the only plausible candidates that come to mind in tolkien's works are feanor and maedhros, and of the two, maedhros is the better candidate. he was very conflicted, and acted very nobly on many occasions, which are interesting contrasts to the atrocities.

i agree with otaku-sempai's assessment of tragic hero. boromir, turin, hurin, and thorin are all tragic heroes (thorin less so in the book, incredibly so in the films).

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 20 2014, 5:14pm

Post #5 of 10 (1519 views)
Shortcut
Well since I love anti heroes... [In reply to] Can't Post

But there is also a fine line between anti hero and villain so some of these might be considered villians to some.
Feanor
Turin
Maeglin
Melkor /as a distinction from Morgoth

squire
Half-elven

Jun 20 2014, 6:54pm

Post #6 of 10 (1501 views)
Shortcut
I always think of Gollum... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as the only real antihero in The Lord of the Rings. He is a central protagonist who is conflicted between the villainous and virtuous parts of his character. And I agree that Feanor is an antihero in The Silmarillion. I'm not familiar enough with the work to try to identify too many more.

In general, I think of 'antihero' as a modern literary concept that would not be found in the heroic legends that Tolkien wanted to model much of his fantastic fiction on. In such legends, a hero is a hero (protagonist), a villain is a villain (antagonist), and everyday people are caught between.

In contrast, the antihero seems very modern to me, the product of a psychological outlook rather than an archetypal outlook. He may be an ostensibly villainous type raised to the status of hero through residual virtues or presentation in a sympathetic light (Gollum), or an ostensibly heroic type who proves to be willing to indulge in villainy to further his heroic ends (Feanor). Neither type is all that common in the Tolkien's works; that they appear at all is testimony to Tolkien's inherent modernism as a writer of the 20th century.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 20 2014, 9:46pm

Post #7 of 10 (1489 views)
Shortcut
Very much agree on the psychologcial outlook... [In reply to] Can't Post

... vs. archetypical outlook.

This is also why I said above that I believe the antihero has kind of become the classical or normal hero of contemporary literature.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 20 2014, 11:54pm

Post #8 of 10 (1481 views)
Shortcut
Lobelia Sackville-Baggins [In reply to] Can't Post

She's a real stinker; but when it came down to it... she showed guts against their invaders and grace & forgiveness when she was finally freed.

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Meneldor
Valinor

Jun 21 2014, 1:42am

Post #9 of 10 (1486 views)
Shortcut
One of them there rangers. [In reply to] Can't Post

Strider as he first appeared in Bree seemed like he might be an antihero, but of course the longer we watch him, the less he seems anti and the more he shows his true qualities as a hero.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2014, 11:16pm

Post #10 of 10 (1479 views)
Shortcut
What about the evil that Men do in general [In reply to] Can't Post

If many Men had not given in to evil, Numenor would still have existed and been able to defeat Sauron comfortably, the Nine would never have existed and Sauron armies at the end of the 3rd age would have been considerably fewer!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.