Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Scene of Elrond casting Morgul blade into WitchKing's tomb?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheHutt
Gondor

Jun 18 2014, 8:53pm

Post #1 of 30 (3026 views)
Shortcut
Scene of Elrond casting Morgul blade into WitchKing's tomb? Can't Post

Interesting quote from Hobbit Chronicles: Cloaks & Daggers, page 166.

"Later we came to film a scene in which Elrond is seen casting the blade into the Witch-king's tomb, and for that we needed a cleaner-looking version of the weapon, so I remade it with a more subtle degree of aging."

Interesting that such a scene was never mentioned prior to this.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Dcole4
Rohan

Jun 18 2014, 8:56pm

Post #2 of 30 (1897 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Very, very cool. I figured they must have shot something regarding the Witchking since they made such a big deal about the High Fells and the burial of the Nazgul. (Particularly Galadriel's speech).

This almost certainly will be part of the next movie, perhaps this is the prologue that segues into the present day scenes with Gandalf imprisoned in Dol Guldur. It would add a lot of weight to that story, and justify the attention that bloody sword has gotten since Radagast found it.

My guess is definitely a prologue, although I still fancy the idea a few people have mentioned about the meeting of the dwarves w/ Dain Ironfoot.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 18 2014, 9:08pm

Post #3 of 30 (1899 views)
Shortcut
Fingers crossed we see a flashback to the Battle of Fornost [In reply to] Can't Post

Might Elrond take Glorfindel's role? Let's face it, the guy is always going to get the shaft in PJ's films unfortunately. Why change the habit of a lifetime?

Rather than a prologue it might be better to include a flashback during a White Council scene, before the attack on Dol Guldur.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jun 18 2014, 9:10pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 18 2014, 9:12pm

Post #4 of 30 (1910 views)
Shortcut
It sounds like one of those scenes ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Which you know was filmed, you're desperate to see, but will never see the light of day. Thorin's firefly scene and the ROTK epilogue spring to mind.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jun 18 2014, 9:13pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 18 2014, 9:13pm

Post #5 of 30 (1839 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I'm afraid of...

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 18 2014, 9:18pm

Post #6 of 30 (1807 views)
Shortcut
How very cool, thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

I love learning about these little moments that were filmed. Of course it only makes it worse when they never see the light of day. But still, maybe in an EE, or a 10 year anniversary ultimate edition :)

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Name
Rohan

Jun 18 2014, 10:57pm

Post #7 of 30 (1765 views)
Shortcut
I think we will get to see this scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's probably part of a larger flashback. I doubt they'd go through the trouble of having a flashback if all it showed was Elrond throwing the blade into the tomb. Seems kind if trivial. So it is very possible that there was some flashback filmed involving the fall of Angmar. Hopefully it's in the next film or one of the EEs.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Dcole4
Rohan

Jun 18 2014, 11:04pm

Post #8 of 30 (1762 views)
Shortcut
When the Hobbit was announced as three films... [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought they'd go into some of the Angmar stuff, especially with the Witchking involved and with the implications in AUJ. Could be something very cool to watch.

Fingers crossed.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 18 2014, 11:10pm

Post #9 of 30 (1735 views)
Shortcut
The weird thing is... [In reply to] Can't Post

... we never saw the Witch-king in DOS prior to Sauron revealing himself. Now that he's out, there's no purpose that the Witch-king serves as far as the mystery of the Morgul blade is concerned. So it seems unlikely we'll see any flashback regarding that blade in BOFA. The only place I could've seen them including it in is in AUJ, but the EE's over and done with, so the time has passed I think. Perhaps there'll be a scene in the DOS EE.

Also, I wonder how the Witch-king gets that sword back. Elrond seemed loath to touch it in AUJ, so I wonder what might motivate him to carry it to Dol Guldur. Hmm... questions that need answering Laugh

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Dcole4
Rohan

Jun 18 2014, 11:13pm

Post #10 of 30 (1710 views)
Shortcut
I think that was done on purpose... [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS was weird because it was the end of one film and the start of another film all smooched together. Not to mention, the scenes with Gandalf in Dol Guldur in DOS were originally the ending of film 1 (when it was 2 films). My thought is that they're saving the sword stuff for film 3 when it'll become relevant again. It's why they cut Thrain, his character wasn't really relevant anymore to the story they were telling in DOS. I think the nazgul blade and the Witch King are going to come back in a big way in film 3.

Kim
Valinor

Jun 18 2014, 11:15pm

Post #11 of 30 (1700 views)
Shortcut
I'm still holding out hope [In reply to] Can't Post

of seeing the fireflies scene in BOFA (maybe just the EE). It seems like such a nice little moment they could have between Thorin and Bilbo when they're in Erebor at the beginning of the movie. Evil

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 18 2014, 11:17pm

Post #12 of 30 (1711 views)
Shortcut
About that Thrain scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope they've re-cut it to actually fit in with the book chronology.

And yeah, now that this topic about the Morgul blade has been brought up again (I'd quite forgotten about it), I'm curious how it'll play out in the final film, if at all.

Dcole4
Rohan

Jun 18 2014, 11:20pm

Post #13 of 30 (1681 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

It'll definitely play out in film 3. It's been mentioned in the commentaries. I have a sneaking suspicion it'll be used to "off" somebody.

Re: Thrain, I'm fine with the chronology being switched around. His scenes will almost definitely be cut into the sequence of Gandalf entering Dol Guldur in DOS.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jun 19 2014, 12:27am

Post #14 of 30 (1685 views)
Shortcut
The High Fells [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll bet that the flashback occurs during Gandalf and Radagast's investigation of the Nazgul graves. That's if PJ decided to insert it into the DOS EE.

I can see Mithrandir recounting events to Radagast the clueless as they explore the place.

Like you, I think it's unlikely that the flashback will make an appearance in TBOTFA . I can't see it fitting in anywhere.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Jun 19 2014, 12:34am)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 19 2014, 12:32am

Post #15 of 30 (1643 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes [In reply to] Can't Post

That seems like the most likely place for the flashback. Now I have some hope it'll make it into the DOS EE :)

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Jun 19 2014, 5:39am

Post #16 of 30 (1565 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for unearthing this [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't given thought to this for over year ! As Galadriel recounted the story at the White Council of the incarceration of the W K rather than Elrond I am wondering if this has been permanently rejected.

When Radagast has his "chance meeting" with Gandalf and the company it could have been explained to Radagast at that point where it came from. This would have reintroduced Elrond to the audience and began
increasing the tension of the subplot and anticipated their coming arrival to Rivendell.

Moving on, at the moment as others have said the blade/ witch king has been left lying for an entire movie.

The Galadriel scene in filming terms is very old now and Sauron has been outed. So the only pay back for dealing with the blade now is to bring it back to the Witch King it will be fascinating to see if this is considered important enough to make the film.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

leonmuse
Rivendell

Jun 19 2014, 5:50am

Post #17 of 30 (1560 views)
Shortcut
The morgul Arrow that struck Kili... [In reply to] Can't Post

May have some connection to the witch-craft related to the Witch-king of Agmar. Somehow, now that we're speaking of the Morgul blade again, I can see some relation between Bolg (who shot the arrow) and the Witch-king. Might be he cursed Bolg's weapons at his request or something. With PJ we never know.

Still, a morgul-arrow was such a stupid "new idea" from PJ. It would have been cool if at least Kili had died. But yeah, complaints are no use at this point! :p

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Jun 19 2014, 9:35am

Post #18 of 30 (1487 views)
Shortcut
Morgul/ Smorgul [In reply to] Can't Post

Again I had forgotten about the nature of the poisoned arrow. One cannot help but think that leads to greater chance of it being "explained" in TBOTFA.

Unless you take the view these are mere texture which do not require more elaboration than they receive and are simply markers.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Jun 19 2014, 9:36am)

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 19 2014, 11:43am

Post #19 of 30 (1466 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a flashback... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that might have been planned for the WC scene when Galadriel speaks about the burial of the Nazgul. WHen she starts speaking you almost expect a flashback imho.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jun 19 2014, 12:17pm

Post #20 of 30 (1431 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

After she finished

"And buried with him". ------------Flashback--------"when Angmar fell"
(Galadriel looks questioning) (continues speaking)

Perfect for such a scene.

DjU
Lorien

Jun 20 2014, 12:00am

Post #21 of 30 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Thats the thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, I wonder how the Witch-king gets that sword back

You've pointed on the same thing I was thinking. Everybody on the thread seems to automatically expect this scene to be some kind of flashback.

What happens if it actually a 'current' scene and takes place AFTER the attack on Dol Guldur. And it is after the White Council believe Suaron and the rising power vanquished and then, foolishly throw the Morgul Blade in to the dark chasm of the tomb to be rid of it...

That is maybe how it gets back to him!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 20 2014, 12:12am

Post #22 of 30 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Wowie! Like the "Bucket Scene" @ Balin's Tomb..? [In reply to] Can't Post

Pippin:
It Clanges DOWn,down,down

Only to be
Caught by THE WC

Out-of-sight of the
OTHERz...WCouncil..!

PJ LOVES
Tumbling Death Shots
(Saruman?)

Imagine That?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 20 2014, 1:47am

Post #23 of 30 (1279 views)
Shortcut
EDit: Caught by "TheWitchKing"...Oppzz? [In reply to] Can't Post

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 20 2014, 2:28am

Post #24 of 30 (1281 views)
Shortcut
It does sound like a flashback scene though... [In reply to] Can't Post

... based on the description that The Hutt shared.

"Later we came to film a scene in which Elrond is seen casting the blade into the Witch-king's tomb, and for that we needed a cleaner-looking version of the weapon, so I remade it with a more subtle degree of aging."

Laineth
Lorien

Jun 20 2014, 4:12pm

Post #25 of 30 (1221 views)
Shortcut
Fingers Crossed! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Galadriel scene in filming terms is very old now and Sauron has been outed. So the only pay back for dealing with the blade now is to bring it back to the Witch King it will be fascinating to see if this is considered important enough to make the film.

I think it will. I really hope so, anyway! link

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.