Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
"A master of shapes and changes of hue"?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 19 2014, 6:44pm

Post #1 of 9 (686 views)
Shortcut
"A master of shapes and changes of hue"? Can't Post

Gandalf calls Radagast "a master of shapes and changes of hue" at the Council of Elrond. What could he mean by that? How do you interpret his words? What do you make of the theory of Radagast being able to change his form, him being a skin-changer of sorts?

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2014, 6:57pm

Post #2 of 9 (581 views)
Shortcut
No, he is just good at.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tanagrams, putting the shapes in the holes on that toddler toy, and a crayon colouring master!Laugh

Seriously, I thought it mean he was able to create illusions and transmogrification similar to Luthien when she and Beren took on shapes of wolf and vampire, and Finrod when he disguised himself and Beren's party.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 19 2014, 7:08pm

Post #3 of 9 (582 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I figure the Istari are locked into the shape of old men: "clad in bodies of as of Men, real and not feigned, but subject to the fears and pains and weariness of earth, able to hunger and thirst and be slain" so they can't change into bears, wolves, or buff 25 year-old weightlifters. That would be cheating.

However, consider something Gandalf said:

He looked at Frodo and smiled. 'Very well,' he said. 'I think that will do – but it must not be any later. I am getting very anxious. In the mean-while, do take care, and don't let out any hint of where you are going! And see that Sam Gamgee does not talk. If he does, I really shall turn him into a toad.'
-Three is Company

So maybe Radagast is just really really good at turning *other* people into toads, bears, wolves, and buff 25 year old weightlifters.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jun 19 2014, 7:09pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 19 2014, 7:45pm

Post #4 of 9 (568 views)
Shortcut
Ah, good questions all . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

A master of shapes and changes of hue – very enigmatic.

Perhaps Gandalf was just being Gandalf when using the word “hue”. Perhaps Radagast the Brown had many changes of wizardly-robes: some dark-chocolate brown, some coffee-brown, some sepia etc. But all shades or “hues” of brown.

And perhaps “master of shapes” simply was another Gandalf way of saying that Radagast was adept at taking on the “shape” of (for example) a tree in order to covertly observe his beloved kelvar beasts and birds.
(Left arm out and up at a 70 degree angle; right arm low and kinked; right leg straight out and forward – hold until landed upon by a bird or approached by a beast.)
From the Brown Wizards Book of Incognito. Abridged.

Sorry BlackFox – Brain cruising on dense right now. Unsure

Cheers

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
-Albert Einstein

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 19 2014, 8:48pm

Post #5 of 9 (555 views)
Shortcut
"Master of shapes" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I figure the Istari are locked into the shape of old men: "clad in bodies of as of Men, real and not feigned, but subject to the fears and pains and weariness of earth, able to hunger and thirst and be slain" so they can't change into bears, wolves, or buff 25 year-old weightlifters. That would be cheating.

Would that really be cheating? Radagast is, after all, a Wizard. Being adept at altering his shape doesn't seem that unreasonable to me, especially if he was limited to maintaining roughly the same size and mass. Certainly it is likely that he could magically camouflage himself and/or others to be all but invisible, much like the effect of the grey cloaks of the Galadrim. He may even have been a master at casting glamours and veils that would have allowed him to pass unseen.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 19 2014, 9:42pm

Post #6 of 9 (533 views)
Shortcut
No need to apologize, Bracegirdle [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't have wished for better answers. TongueLaugh

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 19 2014, 10:37pm

Post #7 of 9 (536 views)
Shortcut
Ok then .... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's how Gandalf did it in his "Lets party" younger days.

I could find no photos of Radagast, but I'm sure he must have used a similar technique and more, possibly even better.
Olorin walks among the Elves Unseen photo Olorin2.jpg

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
-Albert Einstein

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 20 2014, 9:08am

Post #8 of 9 (513 views)
Shortcut
lol // [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 23 2014, 6:04pm

Post #9 of 9 (493 views)
Shortcut
That seems a perfectly reasonable thing to conclude from the sentence... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Seriously, I thought it mean he was able to create illusions and transmogrification similar to Luthien when she and Beren took on shapes of wolf and vampire, and Finrod when he disguised himself and Beren's party.

Maybe that was Tolkien's idea at the time; perhaps he changed his mind, or didn't elaborate, but didn't edit that sentence?

Worth remembering, I think that Radaghast is played for laughs in the movies, but not in the books. Saruman thinks he's a fool, but then Saruman probably thinks that EVERYONE is a fool.

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.