Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which book did you read first: TH or LOTR?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Which book did you read first: TH or LOTR?
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
I haven't read either of them
View Results (73 votes)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 19 2014, 12:09pm

Post #1 of 34 (589 views)
Shortcut
Which book did you read first: TH or LOTR? Can't Post

First vote goes to The Hobbit.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 19 2014, 1:41pm

Post #2 of 34 (400 views)
Shortcut
how about the option: [In reply to] Can't Post

'can't remember'.

It was, after all, almost 50 years ago that I read them.

I don't remember much about The Hobbit although I know I read it. I remember lots about the LOTR. But I don't remember in which order I read them.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 19 2014, 1:45pm

Post #3 of 34 (397 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, it's the first book in the series. I'm picky that way.

(I had already bought the three volumes of LOTR and then I found I had to track down yet another book before I could start reading. I was not happy.)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 19 2014, 2:53pm

Post #4 of 34 (378 views)
Shortcut
I am picky too! Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the Hobbit first, then Lotr, then Silmarillion. I like to read in order.Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 19 2014, 3:52pm

Post #5 of 34 (379 views)
Shortcut

I discovered The Lord of the Rings within a few years of reading The Hobbit, when I discovered the trilogy in our middle-school library.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jun 19 2014, 4:52pm

Post #6 of 34 (361 views)
Shortcut
I read LOTR first [In reply to] Can't Post

but in my country the Hobbit wasn't (and it still isn't, I must admit) a children's classic.
So my inspiration was PJ and since he shot LOTR first...Tongue

but I filled the gap a couple of years later and I kept my fingers crossed for the following... 7 years...to get back to ME.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 19 2014, 5:00pm

Post #7 of 34 (361 views)
Shortcut

I read The Hobbit for a book report in high school, but I only barely remembered it when I picked it back up after LOTR. I'm not even sure that I was aware that I'd read it when I read LOTR the first time. To me it was just one of many books I read throughout my high school years. They were all sort of a blur back then. Heinlein and Adams were having a much bigger impact on my brain at the time.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jun 19 2014, 6:09pm

Post #8 of 34 (347 views)
Shortcut

Though technically, I didn't read it but had it read to me by my mom when I was 5 or 7. I think I grew to re-reading it multiple times before I ever attempted LOTR. I do think you have to be a certain age before you can really get into its denser text. (The long descriptive passages, the songs and poems, I routinely jumped over on my first pass at it Laugh).

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2014, 6:32pm

Post #9 of 34 (345 views)
Shortcut

I was told it was 'The first of the series; a sort of prequel', so I wanted to get it right! Considering I was only 12-13, perhaps my parents didn't want to frighten me with the page count. However, I was always a well-read child-- case-in-point: I read A Tale of Two Cities, The Illiad, Odyssey, Aenid, The Count of Monte Cristo, and the Three Musketeers books, before TH or LoTR-- so I don't think page count was a scare factor....

SaulComposer
Rohan

Jun 20 2014, 4:22am

Post #10 of 34 (335 views)
Shortcut
The Lord of the Rings [In reply to] Can't Post

Then the Hobbit, then the Silmarillion, after that The Children of Hurin, and then the Unfinished Tales...

Then The Lord of the Rings twice more, and then a couple of times The Hobbit as well, Hurin also, maybe 3 or 4 times

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 20 2014, 7:45am

Post #11 of 34 (334 views)
Shortcut
LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a fan of TH, simply came to it at the "wrong" stage of my life and thirst for Middle-earth.

I will make sure though my own kids will get to know TH first :)

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 20 2014, 3:12pm

Post #12 of 34 (314 views)
Shortcut
For me, I wouldn't 'make sure' my kids read anything [In reply to] Can't Post

It's kind of the way I handled their suggested reading, though. I'd hand them a book and say, "I've read this and liked it." or... "I've heard good things about it. You might like to read it some day."

Then I let them put it on their shelves and choose when to read it if at all.

I think the right books come to us when they are meant to and I am so grateful to have experienced many books at just the right time in my life. I can't say there is any book that someone 'made sure' I read ever that meant anything to me.

I will add, though, that both my husband and I read books out loud to the kids for many years and we often picked those books.

Also, although I know I read both TH and LOTR back in the 60s, when I attempted to revisit them before the first LOTR movie came out, I figured I had to start with the Hobbit. I tried three times and just could not make myself read it. I didn't dislike it .. it just never engaged me. So finally I thought, forget it.. I'm jumping to LOTR. It was the start of the most marvelous summer where my reintroduction to LOTR came to me at exactly the right time.

If I was convinced I had to read TH first, I never would have gone to LOTR. I would have given up. I see people online recommend that one MUST start with TH. Dang, some even say you MUST start with the Sil. That, imo, is the worst advice ever to suggest a newbie to Tolkien start with the Sil.

But I try to give a counter opinion to saying one must start with TH by sharing my story. I think it's okay to start with whatever book one wants. I would say give TH a try but if it doesn't click, don't feel bad about putting it down and picking up LOTR. And then I get even more outrageous. I say, if one has seen the movies, then if LOTR doesn't click, jump ahead to the end of Council of Elrond and give the book another try. It's possible that some might be put off by those first chapters and they aren't all that representative of the rest of the book. If one has seen the movie then, for the most part, one will be okay.

And *then* if one were to fall in love with LOTR, there is real incentive to go back and give those first chapters are retry. And incentive to give TH another try. And even incentive to give the Sil and CoH a try.

I completely acknowledge that some love TH more than LOTR and some read them in the proper order and loved doing so. I'm just speaking to those that might not feel the same and giving them permission - so to speak - to give TH a pass if need be.

And I liked letting my kids choose their books such that they followed their own interest and passion. I just made sure they had a large, diverse stock to choose from (either from books in the house or by regular trips to the library and book store). :-)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 20 2014, 4:30pm

Post #13 of 34 (314 views)
Shortcut
You sound just like my mom! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the right books come to us when they are meant to and I am so grateful to have experienced many books at just the right time in my life. I can't say there is any book that someone 'made sure' I read ever that meant anything to me.

This is why my mom was always so open about what I chose to read for school for literature. I believe too there is nothing worse than making a child read a book that they aren't ready for or are not into. It's much better to just leave it around for them to choose if they want to or not. As for books having "the right time" I couldn't agree more. Lotr was perfect that it came to me when I was thirteen. I really needed that book at that point in my life. The same could be said for Harry Potter which I read when I was fifteen. Some would say that was late but for me I could never have had the deep love I have for those books had I read them sooner. I recently discovered this yet again when I read Peter Pan, a children's book by some people's standards, but a really profound book that I think is more appropriate for an adolescent bordering on adulthood. So yes, I believe books have a time and place for everyone.Heart

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Jun 20 2014, 4:31pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 20 2014, 5:29pm

Post #14 of 34 (305 views)
Shortcut
Clarification [In reply to] Can't Post

Well yes, I didn't mean forcing them exactly ;)

I meant the "make sure" in the sense of picking it as one of the books I would read to them if they like it. ;)

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 20 2014, 5:32pm

Post #15 of 34 (308 views)
Shortcut
yes, I think reading to children... [In reply to] Can't Post

..is the sly way of making sure. :-)

My choice of words... sly. It may not be yours. lol.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 20 2014, 5:38pm

Post #16 of 34 (301 views)
Shortcut
No, no problem. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just realized that my post indeed sounded a bit forceful.

I will certainly keep the tradition of my parents to provide us with both ideas and books on the shelve but staying out of any of the choosing or picking.

Through a mixture of having my parents read to me and finding a lot of books on my shelves I got more into literature than most of my friends who sometimes even had to complete books in a certain time :/

And I totally agree on your comments on when to start with Tolkien or which book to read first. As I said, I never warmed to TH although loving most of his other works. Your openness here is very commendable, I got called quite some words by some devotees who apparantly saw this view as heresy and as a proof for my poor taste in literature (ironically something Tolkien got called as well by his critics). ;)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 20 2014, 5:47pm

Post #17 of 34 (311 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed the Hobbit when I first read it [In reply to] Can't Post

But I agree its definitely not his best work. I reread it shortly after seeing the first movie and was a little saddened to say I did not enjoy it as much this time. Oh well. Maybe it just wasnt the right time again. Maybe I'll revisit it again in a few years. Smile

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 20 2014, 5:50pm

Post #18 of 34 (305 views)
Shortcut
And that is great. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am happy for everyone who can enjoy it or who did enjoy it.

Just never quite wanted to bow to the believe of some that Tolkien is practically uncriticizable.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 20 2014, 6:00pm

Post #19 of 34 (291 views)
Shortcut
I see him like any other author [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think he is above criticism. He was a person just like everyone else.

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Jun 20 2014, 6:00pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 20 2014, 7:19pm

Post #20 of 34 (300 views)
Shortcut
LOTR aged 15, the Hobbit aged 17 or 18 [In reply to] Can't Post

I even know the exact date I bought LOTR, July 26th 2007-the same day The Simpsons Movie was released in the UK (found the receipts a while ago). I have extremely vague memories of being read The Hobbit in school aged 10 or 11, though I 'properly' read The Hobbit several years later after reading (and seeing) LOTR and UFT multiple times-so I got the backstory and sequel first! I remember being a little confused/surprised by the tone of the book, though It's actually become something I cherish.

I short I Enjoyed both immensely, LOTR is a masterpeice, but personally, The Hobbit is a more enjoyable read, and generally the Tolkien tome I turn to for a re read.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 20 2014, 7:41pm

Post #21 of 34 (300 views)
Shortcut
Yes, "sly". [In reply to] Can't Post

Mom encouraged me to read mostly anything I liked, but for bedtime reading she always read to me out of the Bible. Similarly, most of my elementary school teachers read passages from the Bible at lunch. The Deep South in the 60s were a whole 'nother world than today.

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 20 2014, 8:08pm

Post #22 of 34 (307 views)
Shortcut
I wish to thank your mother and your elementary school teachers [In reply to] Can't Post

They have indirectly provided me with hours of entertainment.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 22 2014, 1:27pm

Post #23 of 34 (276 views)
Shortcut
LotR was my first set of my very own books [In reply to] Can't Post

even though they were used. I didn't read The Hobbit until about a year later and was shocked at how short it was in comparison ;)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 23 2014, 12:28pm

Post #24 of 34 (255 views)
Shortcut

I was twelve and had never heard of Tolkien, and a friend recommended it. Parts of it reminded me of my beloved Oz books (the road trip, the little people). I remember picturing the elves like Santa elves, and having to really revise my mental image when I read LotR. When I got FotR, I had no idea it wasn't a stand-alone, and was shocked when I came to the end. TTT was checked out of the library, so I went to RotK next.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 23 2014, 1:32pm

Post #25 of 34 (251 views)
Shortcut
Would be interesting to see this poll for different nationalities... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I suspect for my own country it would be a large majority for LotR as TH cannot really be seen as the children's classic it is in other countries (well, at least that is following my experiences).

Many do read both here but read TH in order to "get more" after the appetite is whet by LotR, imho.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.