GoT v. LotR Poll
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jun 15 2014, 3:16pm

Post #1 of 30 (1241 views)
Shortcut
GoT v. LotR Poll Can't Post

I'm as big a fan of Game of Thrones as anybody (love the show, currently finishing up the first book), but to me the idea of GoT beating the Lord of the Rings trilogy (the greatest film trilogy of all time?) in a poll (which it currently is) is a bit insane.

Get over there and vote!

http://variety.com/...he-rings-1201218822/

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Jun 15 2014, 3:18pm)

Big Daddy Balrog
The Shire

Jun 15 2014, 5:28pm

Post #2 of 30 (951 views)
Shortcut
GoT? [In reply to] Can't Post

Never read nor seen Game of Thrones. All I know is, that's the show that had Boromir in it, right?

Nira
Lorien

Jun 15 2014, 6:16pm

Post #3 of 30 (929 views)
Shortcut
I love both... [In reply to] Can't Post

but there is no question that LOTR is better. It's great to pick up on all the LOTR nods within GOT.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

demnation
Rohan

Jun 15 2014, 6:54pm

Post #4 of 30 (922 views)
Shortcut
ZZZZZZ [In reply to] Can't Post

Wake me up when something more interesting is going on. Wink ( Thanks very much for sharing, I'm just saying that things like this don't really mean a whole lot to me. GOT is "losing" the vote now, it seems.)

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Jun 15 2014, 9:17pm

Post #5 of 30 (892 views)
Shortcut
Who are we [In reply to] Can't Post

Your encouragement is entirely laudable. The difficulty is there will be many people for whom LOTR and the Hobbit movies are their only involvement in the genre.

It would be quite interesting for TORN to conduct a poll which lets us all know a little about where we sit with these matters.

I for instance had no idea that the various conventions existed nor do i read fantasy novels.

I love all sorts of art, I watch movies and read novels avidly, much of which is caught up in the branch acquisitiveness that JRRT talked about. I love 19th Century landscape painting which celebrates the England that he loved and is expressed in the shire and Sibelius who was a native of Finland which connects to the trilogy through landscape and language. I also read most of H Rider Haggards before knowing how they got into the early drafts of the Silmarillion.

Put simply i have never watched G of T but I love the LOTR movies though considered them flawed so many will not be qualified to vote..

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Jun 15 2014, 9:19pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 15 2014, 9:33pm

Post #6 of 30 (898 views)
Shortcut
Not a fan of GoT and LotR comparisons... [In reply to] Can't Post

... at all.

But I guess it speaks for LotR that despite the recent hype and acclaim around and for GoT it is more or less 50-50 .

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 15 2014, 9:35pm

Post #7 of 30 (900 views)
Shortcut
And died in both ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Big Daddy Balrog
The Shire

Jun 15 2014, 9:48pm

Post #8 of 30 (890 views)
Shortcut
Though Boromir lives on in those "Brace Yourselves" memes [In reply to] Can't Post

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 15 2014, 10:32pm

Post #9 of 30 (876 views)
Shortcut
I voted [In reply to] Can't Post

But under duress. GoT is not a movie trilogy. It's a TV show. And frankly is in a different league. But then every story is in a different league than the Saga of Arda. Tolkien spent a lifetime constructing a completely believable secondary world. Nobody else can come close, they haven't had enough time. Besides LOTR has an underlying beauty and the deep magic of hope. GoT has got death. I prefer the former so if I have to vote (which I don't) I have to go with LOTR.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 16 2014, 4:54am

Post #10 of 30 (874 views)
Shortcut
Careful. Some people are still reading and dont want to be spoiled. [In reply to] Can't Post

demnation
Rohan

Jun 16 2014, 6:20am

Post #11 of 30 (868 views)
Shortcut
Thank You! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very much agreed. Such click bait "vs." questions are the bread and butter of modern internet culture, but I just find them silly, shallow and worst of all, boring. But for what it is worth, the poll has turned very much in LOTR favor. (for now)

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

emre43
Rohan

Jun 16 2014, 7:45am

Post #12 of 30 (857 views)
Shortcut
Very much in favour of GoT now [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, LOTR is so much better than GoT. I love the underlying message of hope, whereas GoT only has an underlying message of cynicism and despair. I don't see the point in GoT to be honest.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 16 2014, 8:21am

Post #13 of 30 (833 views)
Shortcut
No means yes in a way :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe you confused the two - a majority still perceives LotR to be superior - whatever this means when one compares apples with oranges...

demnation
Rohan

Jun 16 2014, 8:22am

Post #14 of 30 (836 views)
Shortcut
Eh? "no" has it, I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

As in the question "Is GOT better than LOTR?". No: 56 percent, Yes:44 percent. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong.

emre43
Rohan

Jun 16 2014, 9:13am

Post #15 of 30 (840 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah - I'm just having an old person moment (and I'm only 24 :( ) [In reply to] Can't Post

SaulComposer
Rohan

Jun 16 2014, 4:00pm

Post #16 of 30 (809 views)
Shortcut
Aint a fan [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm as big a fan of Game of Thrones as anybody (love the show, currently finishing up the first book), but to me the idea of GoT beating the Lord of the Rings trilogy (the greatest film trilogy of all time?) in a poll (which it currently is) is a bit insane.

Get over there and vote!

http://variety.com/...he-rings-1201218822/

Was checking out some trailers on amazon, it was boring, and unimpressive. But its a matter of taste I guess...

Music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 16 2014, 5:21pm

Post #17 of 30 (799 views)
Shortcut
Voted [In reply to] Can't Post

GoT is pretty decent but doesn't sniff the LOTR or Hobbit films for me.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 16 2014, 5:31pm

Post #18 of 30 (797 views)
Shortcut
They're different. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am enjoying both. I really hate when they pit to things against each other. I can't stand it when peopel compare Lotr and Harry Potter.

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 16 2014, 5:44pm

Post #19 of 30 (800 views)
Shortcut
Very different [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a good thing.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 16 2014, 8:09pm

Post #20 of 30 (798 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

How strongely some of the negative reactions by ASoIaF "purists" towards the GoT Season 4 finale are compared to some of the hype. And how similar to a lot of TH criticism.

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Jun 17 2014, 3:42am

Post #21 of 30 (772 views)
Shortcut
Voted... [In reply to] Can't Post

No.

It's not better than lotrs. It is a fantastic show though and imo way better than the Hobbit films...

Joe20
Lorien

Jun 17 2014, 6:35am

Post #22 of 30 (767 views)
Shortcut
Well I love both [In reply to] Can't Post

and its tough to compare a TV Show to a film, both benefit and suffer drawbacks from their respective forms but I must admit over the last few years I have really fallen in love with GRRM's world, especially the books.

I love Tolkien and always will but A Song Of Ice And Fire feels really new and fresh. And I urge anyone who hasn't read them to give them a try. And if your holding off because of all this nonsense about them being being only some form of erotic fiction, that is absolutely ridiculous.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 17 2014, 8:14am

Post #23 of 30 (760 views)
Shortcut
As a lead-up to this some quotes... [In reply to] Can't Post

despite everything being so well-done, pretty, and acted the basic writing is horrible. Every show deviation from the book just makes it all dumbed-down, boring, and banal.

Same. I am not a purist and I'm all for ADAPTION. I'm also cool with evolving the story to fit the media. I am not cool with rewriting, reconcieiving, reconceptualizing, or fanfiction. This show now borders on visual cliff notes sprinkled with some rife fanfic

One might think they are from TH board... but they are from the Board of Ice and Fire.

I guess it is all about what I also wrote in my signature. It isn't about Rottentomatoes or IMDB scores or how many people agree or disagree with you on some board or a poll, as this one.

Both "franchises" - Tolkien and Martin and their respective adaptations - have a lot of fans who have their hearts and minds invested in one form or the other in those books, movies and show. And if you do not find what you were looking for, it is an understandable and great disappointment, as it is a great joy when you get what you wanted. Even if your feelings are not always explainable or other people try to tell you "objectively" how you are wrong to feel a certain way.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jun 17 2014, 8:22am)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jun 17 2014, 2:15pm

Post #24 of 30 (756 views)
Shortcut
I consider myself lucky [In reply to] Can't Post

to not having read the books yet.I found the finale of season 4 to be the best of all seasons so far.It was full of emotion,drama,excitement,great acting,great events and whet my appetite for the next season more than ever.

God,i so much dislike "purists" of any kind,but even more the "veiled" purists who pretend that they are not when they actually are hardcore ones.

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

"Tolkien Nazis is the disgusting scourge of the internet"

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 17 2014, 2:21pm

Post #25 of 30 (739 views)
Shortcut
Personally [In reply to] Can't Post

... I could care less if they changed even more from the books, especially leaving some characters out.

GRR Martin never reached the brilliance of GoT ever again, imho, and starting with book 4 and peaking in book 5 his story-telling is all over the place and quite horrible at times, imho. A large part imho because he brings in too many characters who fail to live up to those he has killed off (some imho simply to shock and create some cliffhanger-moments, not because this is "sooo realistic"). I really wonder whether ASoIaF will stand the test of time... right now a lot of its fascination comes from the fact that it is not finished and that there is so much to speculate about. Martin will have a LOST dilemma - writing an ending that is almost set to disappoint many.

The show is guilty of a lot of this, too, however. And it is getting worse, imho.

Still, there is great television in there. I just find the hype ridiculous at times.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jun 17 2014, 2:27pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.